Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

It makes me laugh when I hear people in the media getting on their high horse about how anybody would dare question reporting (by any media outlet) as being anything less than 100% truthful.
    True. In terms of domestic political analysis, we're arguably at a greater risk of media groupthink than larger European countries like the U.K., because the small (daresay intimate) nature of the Irish media.

In economic terms, the property bubble in the years 2000-2007 was an example of that, and the role of the media has never really been addressed (by the media), despite criticism in some of the official investigations following the crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Healy's little package was every bit as tabloid as those he was highlighting I thought. But then, I regard him as a complete lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Weird undercurrent. In today's trump rant.

Starting to sound like the yank. Public is getting sick of it.

First time I heard the yank contributer say half his mates voted for him too. How was his winning such a surprise to this lot then?

Sommats up.

Pat pulled the rug out from Edwina Curry there when she said Brexit needs to adapt that 'Dunkirk' spirit

Pat: But Dunkirk was a massive military and political failure.

EC: Yes, but... (moving on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Pat pulled the rug out from Edwina Curry there when she said Brexit needs to adapt that 'Dunkirk' spirit

Pat: But Dunkirk was a massive military and political failure.

EC: Yes, but... (moving on)

Didn't hear it as PK is more than I can take, but how was Dunkirk 'a massive military and political failure' ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The BEF had to be rescued so it wasn't a success, though obviously the retreat across the Channel could be seen as a triumph but one that Hitler seemed to allow to happen in significant part.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Didn't hear it as PK is more than I can take, but how was Dunkirk 'a massive military and political failure' ? :confused:
    Because the British and French forces were defeated in one of the greatest military battles the world had ever seen?

I'm not sure that managing to run away from the Germans in great numbers can be described as a victory...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

though obviously the retreat across the Channel.

Well maybe not quite that, but making the best of a bad situation at least. Although in this case the bad situation is entirely self-inflicted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Because the British and French forces were defeated in one of the greatest military battles the world had ever seen?

I'm not sure that managing to run away from the Germans in great numbers can be described as a victory...

Not how I would describe the most successful strategic withdrawal the world has ever seen but then I am an Anglophile, and more. :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Not how I would describe the most successful strategic withdrawal the world has ever seen but then I am an Anglophile, and more. :D
    That's probably what Edwina Curry should have said if she was thinking on her feet, " yes the vote was a catastrophe (she being a remainer) but the response will be as successful as possible "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

What battle was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Classic Partridge moment on Pat's show yesterday and surprised it wasn't picked up here

He had some lecturer expert on talking about early life on earth 750 million years ago which developed from bacteria and was then wiped out by a 90 million year long Ice Age, or winter as he called it.

Pat asks what caused the climate change, the guy says deadpan "personally I think it was the White Walkers"

PK - what?
    Expert - I think it was something to do with the White Walkers
    (5 secs dead air)
    PK- eh, right.

I do like Pat but he was totally obvious to yer man's attempt at humour. Clearly when he is lost his instinct is just to carry on - dangerous game and he could be made to look pretty dumb if the wrong guest were to say something outrageous/ illegal perhaps that he isn't picking up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I've never watched Game of Thrones so I hadn't got a clue what yer man was going on about either. I didn't think Pat did anything wrong there. The guest should've known better than to assume everyone watches the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I've never watched Game of Thrones so I hadn't got a clue what yer man was going on about either. I didn't think Pat did anything wrong there. The guest should've known better than to assume everyone watches the show.

Agree it wasnt PK's "fault" as such, but thought it was funny Partridge moment all the same, how Pat just blanked the dude and carried on with the interview when he was clearly thinking "WTAF?"

Jaysus it was fun at first but pats trump bashing today is bordering on the conspiracy theorists today.

Starting to think the man's losing it.

This was rte a highest paid star ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Jaysus it was fun at first but pats trump bashing today is bordering on the conspiracy theorists today.

Starting to think the man's losing it.

This was rte a highest paid star ffs.

Look like he has an acute case of the Trump bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Same. Pat actually mentioned that he'd never watched GoT recently. Thought he did alright considering!

pats daily rant on trump (with a sidekick from CNN) was on the pardoning of sherrif apairo (spl?).

now i dont know the lad from adam but from what i can gather he got convicted of contempt of court for racially profiling mexians against their directions as part of his job to stop illegal mexicans pouring over the boarder.

this makes him a rampant racist according to pat and co but im left with a bit of a quandry.

how exactly DO you target mexican illegal immigrants without targeting people that look mexican ?

cause im pretty sure that demographic aint made up of a surplus of pasty white redheads with D4 accents.

this is the sort of stuff that leads to police in other states being afraid to tell you the lad their looking for is black when they give out their bullitins.

its also some laugh the pat wouldnt DREAM of describing a gard in the same terms no matter what he did.

the comedy show continues.

:D

pats daily rant on trump (with a sidekick from CNN) was on the pardoning of sherrif apairo (spl?).

now i dont know the lad from adam but from what i can gather he got convicted of contempt of court for racially profiling mexians against their directions as part of his job to stop illegal mexicans pouring over the boarder.

this makes him a rampant racist according to pat and co but im left with a bit of a quandry.

how exactly DO you target mexican illegal immigrants without targeting people that look mexican ?

cause im pretty sure that demographic aint made up of a surplus of pasty white redheads with D4 accents.

this is the sort of stuff that leads to police in other states being afraid to tell you the lad their looking for is black when they give out their bullitins.

its also some laugh the pat wouldnt DREAM of describing a gard in the same terms no matter what he did.

the comedy show continues.

What has happened to Pat? He has gone full libtard recently. He never used to be like that. Such a change is very unusual in a man who is nearly 70.
    Maybe it is editorial policy. If so, he is certainly following it with some enthusiasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

quintana76 wrote: »
    What has happened to Pat? He has gone full libtard recently. He never used to be like that. Such a change is very unusual in a man who is nearly 70. Maybe it is editorial policy. If so, he is certainly following it with some enthusiasm.

It is incredible the change in him. The old Pat was so professional, you would never know what he thoughts were on any particular subject.

• Advertisement

well the way i look at it is theres two option.

this is ACTUALLY how he really feels. yes its a mad sight to behold but if anyone hadve told me the election of trump wouldve resulted in CNN - formally one of the most respected news outlets in the world- doing stories about the number of scoops of ice cream a man ate and their hosts spouting racist bile on a regular basis (directed towards white people from black lads) with regular bouts of crying from them on the national airwaves i'dve laughed in their face.

but thats whats happening. so maybe a mask as been pulled off of presumed tollerance.

but my moneys no number two.

he who pays the piper calls the tune. Pat is Dinnys boy now and he lost a packet on clintons loss in terms of donations and clout. seeing as the broadside is coming from ALL communicorp outlets i reckon orders came from on high.

either way my advice is to just laugh at it as despite what they keep telling us not only do i not see trump being impeaced, i can see the guy getting a second term. so there'll be 8 yrs of this.

well the way i look at it is theres two option.

this is ACTUALLY how he really feels. yes its a mad sight to behold but if anyone hadve told me the election of trump wouldve resulted in CNN - formally one of the most respected news outlets in the world- doing stories about the number of scoops of ice cream a man ate and their hosts spouting racist bile on a regular basis (directed towards white people from black lads) with regular bouts of crying from them on the national airwaves i'dve laughed in their face.

but thats whats happening. so maybe a mask as been pulled off of presumed tollerance.

but my moneys no number two.

he who pays the piper calls the tune. Pat is Dinnys boy now and he lost a packet on clintons loss in terms of donations and clout. seeing as the broadside is coming from ALL communicorp outlets i reckon orders came from on high.

either way my advice is to just laugh at it as despite what they keep telling us not only do i not see trump being impeaced, i can see the guy getting a second term. so there'll be 8 yrs of this.

I agree with you on both scores. Depends on the outlet.

1 applies to CNN, NYT, IT etc

2 applies to Dinny's orgs. The proof being that Matt Cooper has gone exactly the same way. Not as far a journey as Pat I will admit, but ending at the same destination.

The reaction to a Trump second term would be something to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 spit_baller

matt cooper is a full on PC bore and has been for several years now , PK is very anti trump but not a PC clone like most in the irish media

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Because Pat picks up on Trump's many bizarre shenanigans hardly make him a full-on liberal.

It's a shame that anyone with even moderate right of centre leanings is expected to row in behind Trump and not question his abilities and motives for fear of being called a "libtard".

I like Pat's right of centre approach to many subjects and I think he applies those sensibilities to Trump.

I do hear you about Trump. But it is getting to the point of unhealthy obsession with Pat. Very unlike him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't usually listen so I don't know how obsessive Pat is about Trump or whether it could be a mental illness. But he has to fill three hours every day, so it helps to pass the time.

I did hear the piece today and the one thing that annoyed me was this so called Newsdump. If there has ever been a successful newsdump anywhere in history none of us would have heard anything about it. Instead of which you repeatedly get sanctimonious journalists and internet commentators saying "look at what they tried to do, they tried to bury bad news at a time when nobody except me would read it". Utter nonsense.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-hurricane-harvey-joe-arpaio-north-korea-missiles-robert-mueller-news-dump-a7914251.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

It is incredible the change in him. The old Pat was so professional, you would never know what he thoughts were on any particular subject.

But he's with Newstalk now. When Ivan Yates taking over Drivetime was announced the Managing Editor of Newstalk came out with this...
    “Ivan Yates is one of Ireland’s foremost commentators and has a long history with the station. His brand of straight talking, opinion led commentary will provide an engaging forum for listeners. This is an exciting time for the business as we continue to develop a brand of opinion led content.”

So in Pat's opinion, on his "opinion led" radio station, Donald Trump is piss-poor US President, As I've said before, it's hardly an outlandish opinion or a particularly unique one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

theres been a big anti trump bias on newstalk and today fm (matt cooper mainly) since before trump elected, these guys are either still in shock and cant come to terms with trumps election or else they think theyre in a bad dream and going to wake up to Hilary waving at them from the front lawn of the white house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

neris wrote: »
    theres been a big anti trump bias on newstalk and today fm (matt cooper mainly) since before trump elected, these guys are either still in shock and cant come to terms with trumps election or else they think theyre in a bad dream and going to wake up to Hilary waving at them from the front lawn of the white house

Or could it just be that Trump really isn't very good at being President and doubts about his suitability during the election have been proven to be correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

The Pro Trumpers have become just as big a bunch of whiney bitches as the "libtards".

Advertisement