Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The Pro Trumpers have become just as big a bunch of whiney bitches as the "libtards".

Still not as demented as the anti-trumps in nearly every media outlet here the U.K. And the US not to mention the whiny Trump haters on social media and on chat forums!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Maybe our GPs wouldn't be under so much pressure if they weren't all on the radio all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Maybe our GPs wouldn't be under so much pressure if they weren't all on the radio all the time?

.... or in the Dáil ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Those medical cards should be capped at 10 visits a year. More than enough.
    Stop clogging up the waiting rooms when you only have a slight cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

humberklog wrote: »
    Because Pat picks up on Trump's many bizarre shenanigans hardly make him a full-on liberal.

It's a shame that anyone with even moderate right of centre leanings is expected to row in behind Trump and not question his abilities and motives for fear of being called a "libtard".

I like Pat's right of centre approach to many subjects and I think he applies those sensibilities to Trump.

It's par for the course on the radio forum these days.

You won't find any of these people arguing constructively for Trump and his policies on any of the politics forums, but it's the radio forum where you'll find the most ardent complainers about anyone that criticises him (and not one person has made a valid point as to why he shouldn't be criticised).

Anything that they deem slightly liberal is immediately jumped upon and you get daft posts, which would be laughed at in the Conspiracy Theory forum, saying the reason why anyone in Newstalk dares criticise Trump, or say anything than could be said to be left leaning, is because DOB is sitting beside them with a gun to their temple.

Instead, as you mention, you'll get dumb posts with words like libtard in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah that free gp care for under 5's was a stupid idea if we didn't have enough GP's to support the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Yeah that free gp care for under 5's was a stupid idea if we didn't have enough GP's to support the scheme
    Politics my friend. Our cynical, grandstanding politicians looking for votes. (Or more likely looking not to lose them).
    Doesn't matter whether it is feasible. To be able to claim responsibility for the policy is what counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Pat is being very rude to this woman. Is he getting lessons from Joe Duffy or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Somebody said it in one of the radio threads the other day...

Left, right, whatever, but jesus hasn't everything just got niggly and annoying? Was radio always like this? Every single segment seems to be someone whining about something. Including this post.

I dunno...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Pat is being very rude to this woman. Is he getting lessons from Joe Duffy or what?

I only heard part of it, but she was being particularly evasive in her answers. He response on whether or not deliberately with-holding rent was a criminal offence or not was laughable "so you're saying people should go to jail for rent arrears?" AFTER Pat had painstakingly given an example of lesser value crime where the offenders would be jailed.

The PRTB are a complete farce of a quango. They have no powers and are used strategically by some tenants to simply extend their non-payment of rent occupancy at the landlord's expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I thought the RTB representative sounded very foolish this morning. She took exception to Pat's comment about tenants who deliberately withhold rent being a criminal matter but later on in the conversation, she admitted that the RTB would have no issue pursuing landlords through the courts who hadn't registered with the agency and paid their registration fees. There is a bit of double standard there surely.

I have yet to hear anything remotely positive about the agency from landlords or tenants, most people end up cutting their losses because the process is so protracted and there is no guarantee that payment will ever be received even if a decision is made in your favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've had personal experience of the PRTB when a tenant engaged in non-payment over a protracted period. They were beyond useless.

The Gardai told me not to bother wasting my time with them.

Ah Butters, you do disappoint me ;)

They're called the RTB these days...:p

You're almost as bad as my mother who used to inadvertently refer to the PRTB as PTSB.

Actually, in away, it was hard to blame her, both organisations take money and don't provide much in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

I only heard part of it, but she was being particularly evasive in her answers. He response on whether or not deliberately with-holding rent was a criminal offence or not was laughable "so you're saying people should go to jail for rent arrears?" AFTER Pat had painstakingly given an example of lesser value crime where the offenders would be jailed.

The PRTB are a complete farce of a quango. They have no powers and are used strategically by some tenants to simply extend their non-payment of rent occupancy at the landlord's expense.

Would you be ok if people who refused to pay their mortgage were sent to jail? Also people who don't pay their debts??
    Pat was completely biased towards Landlords in the discussion.

I thought the RTB representative sounded very foolish this morning. She took exception to Pat's comment about tenants who deliberately withhold rent being a criminal matter but later on in the conversation, she admitted that the RTB would have no issue pursuing landlords through the courts who hadn't registered with the agency and paid their registration fees. There is a bit of double standard there surely.

I have yet to hear anything remotely positive about the agency from landlords or tenants, most people end up cutting their losses because the process is so protracted and there is no guarantee that payment will ever be received even if a decision is made in your favour.

The discussion was completely biased in favour of Landlords.

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Would you be ok if people who refused to pay their mortgage were sent to jail? Also people who don't pay their debts??
    Pat was completely biased towards Landlords in the discussion.

There is a massive difference between genuinely not having the money to meet your debts and deliberately not paying. Pat was talking about tenants who were refusing to pay.

I've seen small family businesses go to the wall and their owners attempting suicide because other businesses refused to pay debts - they were only laughing at them anytime they looked for payment.

There are plenty of bad landlords out there I'm sure but there are some tenants who abuse the RTB process to their advantage.
    The discussion was completely biased in favour of Landlords.

I would disagree, the RTB representative expected a soft focus promo-style interview and Pat raised some legitimate concerns from some landlords who had a negative experience dealing with the agency, I think that's fair enough. It made me understand a little more they some landlords are getting out of the business.

There is a massive difference between genuinely not having the money to meet your debts and deliberately not paying. Pat was talking about tenants who were refusing to pay.

I've seen small family businesses go to the wall and their owners attempting suicide because other businesses refused to pay debts - they were only laughing at them anytime they looked for payment.

There are plenty of bad landlords out there I'm sure but there are some tenants who abuse the RTB process to their advantage.

I would disagree, the RTB representative expected a soft focus promo-style interview and Pat raised some legitimate concerns raised by some landlords who had a negative experience of the agency, I think that's fair enough. It made understand a little more they some landlords are getting out of the business.

How did Pat know these people were deliberately not paying. Rents in this country have become extortionate in recent years. Maybe they couldn't afford them.

Many people have deliberately not paid their mortgages for years and yet they have not been evicted. Is this not theft too?

Many very wealthy people fled this country to avoid paying their debts and declare bankruptcy. Eg Ivan Yates

The discussion was biased against tenants and completely one-sided.

I'm old fashioned, I believe you have a duty to pay your debts if you have the means to do so.

If someone has the money and deliberately chooses to inflict misery and hardship on another individual or small business by refusing to pay I believe they should be jailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

dont be telling regina doherty that then !

:D

Oh Jaysus, don't start me on the subject of Ms Doherty. She is so smug, she makes my blood boil. BTW, she takes grave exception to Keyboard Warriors commenting on her (disastrous) financial affairs.

http://www.thejournal.ie/regina-doherty-garda-complaint-blogger-3482139-Jul2017/

• Advertisement

How did Pat know these people were deliberately not paying.

Rents in this country have become extortionate in recent years. Maybe they couldn't afford them.

You might like to watch this extract from Pat's interview with Rosalind Carroll of the Residential Tenancies Board.

Pat may have his faults and he sometimes isn't as objective as he should be but in this instance, I believe he was 100% correct.

He was not taking issue with tenants who genuinely fall behind with their rent payments, he was raising a legitimate concern he received from a listener to the programme regarding professional squatting and how the RTB are powerless to prevent it.

[Listener's Comment] "I cannot understand if a tenant refuses to pay rent why after one month they're not evicted.

I know of at least two friends who had tenants in the property, who refused to pay and six months on they are still there.

The tenants are professional people who work and refuse to pay. It's terrible and stressful situation and the owners are told that they can't do anything, professional squatting in a property and not paying".

I agree with Pat, this sort of behaviour is stealing and should be a criminal offence.

Oh my!!! Pat is going to be in a tent at the Electric Picnic talking about Trump's America. He has it bad. He has drank deeply of the anti-Trump kool-aid.
    Surprised at him.

I agree with Pat, this sort of behaviour is stealing and should be a criminal offence.
    But he's simply wrong.

He said that refusing to pay a lawful debt is a criminal matter. It is not. I don't see why the RTB (or whomever that guest was there to represent) should be answerable as to the decision of lawmakers not to imprison people for not paying rent; or for failing to honour any contract, for that matter.

The likes of IBEC would be up in arms if it were suggested that troubled firms who can't afford to pay employee wages upon liquidation would be turfed into prisonm. Rightly so.

Those who can afford to pay their rent, and who withold rent, should (I believe they can) have a charge attached to their salary by the courts, or to their social welfare income. the latter may perhaps even enforced by the Department of Social Protection/ Local Authority in terms of rent supports. Maybe someone here will correct me on that.

But the idea of imprisoning those who don't pay their rent, or any contractual debt for that matter, is positively Dickensian.

I started a thread in Accommodation & property a few months ago about a tenant of my mother's, who has been witholding rent for months and months, and refuses to engage. As bad as that (ongoing) situation is, the woman is in some personal difficulty, and I can think of nothing more nasty than the idea of someone trying to throw her into prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

quintana76 wrote:
    Oh my!!! Pat is going to be in a tent at the Electric Picnic talking about Trump's America. He has it bad. He has drank deeply of the anti-Trump kool-aid. Surprised at him.

Surely the rules of impartiality for Irish radio presenters don't apply to foreign leaders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'd be more inclined to wonder what kool-aid the pro-Trump people are imbibing. As an Irish person, I'm not normally too bothered who's in the hot seat in the White House. This time round it's very different. How anyone can defend the current incumbent's appalling behaviour is beyond me. It's not even that his behaviour is reprehensible. His impulsive, irresponsible, irrational behaviour could have far-reaching implications for all of us.

I'd be more inclined to wonder what kool-aid the pro-Trump people are imbibing. As an Irish person, I'm not normally too bothered who's in the hot seat in the White House. This time round it's very different. How anyone can defend the current incumbent's appalling behaviour is beyond me. It's not even that his behaviour is reprehensible. His impulsive, irresponsible, irrational behaviour could have far-reaching implications for all of us.
    I would suggest that it has more to do with the collective, gargantuan, continuing temper tantrum thrown by his opponents when they lost the election that has allowed him to gain some leeway.
    They thought as the Horst Wessel lied claimed that the 'the future belongs to us'. (Inappropriate Nazi reference I will concede) His opponents just can't handle it and are now in vengeful mode.
    Rationality has left the room. It is a zero sum game.
    The more his opposition vent, the more unsympathetic they seem. Quite an achievement considering the personal character of the current incumbent.
    Shooting yourself in the foot is an appropriate analogy. Pat has bought it 'big time'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Perhaps journalists now see this as a modern day equivalent of Nazi Germany (sorry about having to reference the N people) and that someone has to shout stop. This has gone beyond the dreadful Hillary Clinton not winning the election. The person who is now in the White House is not treating his office, nor the American people, with any respect. It's all about him, his family, his business interests and his cronies. If this was happening in Africa or Central America we'd be throwing our eyes up to heaven and saying that's another tin pot dictator that's now in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Watch Pat's magic trick as he somehow makes the North Korea missile launches Donald Trump's fault.

It says something about that the media that Trump get more abuse than Kim Jung Un and Vladimir Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This Gina London one must be on newstalks speed dial. She's on almost daily at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

"dreamers" ffs.

Orwell would be proud. We had to change our. Constitution to stop that shyte here.

Come to think of it the media weren't happy with that from us either.

Advertisement