Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Chris Donoghue is our Political Editor, and speaking to us from his Politically Editorial bathroom apparently. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Oh Jaysus, don't start me on the subject of Ms Doherty. She is so smug, she makes my blood boil. BTW, she takes grave exception to Keyboard Warriors commenting on her (disastrous) financial affairs.

http://www.thejournal.ie/regina-doherty-garda-complaint-blogger-3482139-Jul2017/

It could be worse Lady C. You could live in the same village as her. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Pat now conflating trump with ISIS.

The meltdown continues.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Comment about Pat towing his boss's line in 3,2,1....

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Mattie McGrath on maintaining a water supply: "This doesn't fall from the sky".

The water in may fall from the sky but it is not treated on the way down nor is the waste sucked back up into the sky.

The cost is in the treating, distributing, recollection of waste and treatment of waste, not the initial collection of water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Taking aim at bookies now - good to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Surely they could find someone better than Paul Harrington to cover/butcher these songs?

I hope he pays Brendan Graham a percentage of his earnings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Yeah right, Pat would know that there are "a load of nice bedsits".

"But we hear about so many feckless fathers as well"

So what is the logic there Pat, all the good fathers should be punished for the actions of the feckless fathers?

Pat correcting the teacher lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Fr Peter needs to take the blinkers off.

Does he really believe that people aren't trying to play the system to get a council home. Likewise plenty of "non eu" families have arrived here and jumped the housing list, coz i've worked with some of them.

Larry Donnolly is a Democrat... Why is introduced as everything else but being a member of the other party?

Owryan wrote: »
    Does he really believe that people aren't trying to play the system to get a council home. Likewise plenty of "non eu" families have arrived here and jumped the housing list, coz i've worked with some of them.
    If you listen back to the interview in question, Fr McVerry agreed that in any system, there will be a minority who exploit it.

He said, 'it happens in every system; housing, social welfare, and taxation as well; the majority are compliant, but some people exploit it for their own benefit.' As much as I like Pat Kenny, I could almost see him blush at the mention of people (legally) exploiting the tax code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I wish Pat would ask the tough questions here - why did this woman have a FIFTH child when she had no home of her own and was sleeping on a living room floor ????

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

I wish Pat would ask the tough questions here - why did this woman have a FIFTH child when she had no home of her own and was sleeping on a living room floor ????

Not sure that would be a wise thing for Pat to do.
    Asking tough questions to a woman looking for housing with five children with a blood clot(I think) brings him down the George Hook road of victim blaming......maybe Pat doesn't want to work weekends.

Well as regards the fifth child, accidents happen. But she should have had a termination.

Oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭emo72

He did ask the hard questions. Said lots of people were texting in asking why she had a fifth child when she had no home? Also the guest raised the point of Irish people being skipped in the queue by foreign people. The lady who he was interviewing in studio, expressed that even raising these questions would leave her open to accusations of racism.

emo72 wrote: »
    Also the guest raised the point of Irish people being skipped in the queue by foreign people. The lady who he was interviewing in studio, expressed that even raising these questions would leave her open to accusations of racism.
    It's not racist, but it's probably a bit misinformed.

As has been pointed out, you can't just arrive in Ireland and get on the housing list. EEA nationals, for example, must have worked in this country. Many of those non-Irish nationals on the housing lists are Central/ Eastern European tradesmen who were laid off during the bust, or those whose marriages disintegrated during the bust, but these people have paid a lot of tax in Ireland.

On the other hand, there are plenty of Irish people on the housing list who have never worked, and there is no such requirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

I thought Alice Leahy was excellent.
    She called for a national discussion on housing stating that it is a mess, she blamed discrepancies with local authorities and interference in allocations.
    She mentioned that 'Syrian' refugees are prioritised over people on the streets. Some European got a flat in Dublin ahead of plenty others on the list which caused problems.
    People calling journos and deliberately sleeping in cars to get ahead of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭emo72

If course, it's reciprocal. Irish people working in the EU are entitled to the same rights abroad. How does someone from outside the EU get a house though? God this is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down. Pointless even asking the question the quality of discourse here can end in the gutter rapidly. Anyway that girl had a hard time of it. Hope she gets sorted.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    .. How does someone from outside the EU get a house though?..
    a) they marry an Irish person
    b) they seek and are granted asylum
    c) they apply to be fast track refugees
    d) they falsify documents to become EU citizens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

"Can you recommend a laptop for gaming" - "Yes for gaming you will need a graphic card and RAM"...you do indeed, great in depth detail there as usual.

doylefe wrote: »
    "Can you recommend a laptop for gaming" - "Yes for gaming you will need a graphic card and RAM"...you do indeed, great in depth detail there as usual.
    Well she did mention the heavy duty Dell laptops currently on sale in Harvey Norman...

In fairness to Jess Kelly, she rarely if ever says "I just don't know" despite working in such a complex and fast-developing field.

As NT contributors go, she's perhaps the most knowledgable, and even offers to email individual listeners with more details.

That is one contradiction that I don't understand. It is considered acceptable by the liberal media for a woman to have an abortion if she doesn't want to keep the baby, but it is considered taboo to question a woman with four kids whether it is a good idea to have another child.

In fairness to Jess Kelly, she rarely if ever says "I just don't know" despite working in such a complex and fast-developing field. As NT contributors go, she's perhaps the most knowledgable, and even offers to email individual listeners with more details.

I think she's a good contributor for what is pretty much an impossible job. I work in IT, and it's impossible to keep up with the changing technologies in one sector, never mind the broad "technology" area that she has to cover. Even keeping track of the smart phones is a full time job. At this stage she is one of the few Newstalk contributors/presenters that doesn't annoy.... but that's their own fault.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There was a good example of Kenny's skills as a journalist today.
    He was doing a piece about Edward Heath and was talking to a British journalist.

Pat: When did the rumours begin about Heath?

British journo: About 15 years ago.

Pat: I ask because I interviewed a woman 24 years ago about an unrelated topic and off air she confided in me that she'd been raped in the past by Edward Heath.

He really is by times excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

humberklog wrote: »
    There was a good example of Kenny's skills as a journalist today.
    He was doing a piece about Edward Heath and was talking to a British journalist.

Pat: When did the rumours begin about Heath?

British journo: About 15 years ago.

Pat: I ask because I interviewed a woman 24 years ago about an unrelated topic and off air she confided in me that she'd been raped in the past by Edward Heath.

He really is by times excellent.

No he's not.

Chris phoning from the bathroom again.

When was Chris elevate to Group Communicorp Political Editor ?

• Advertisement

etselbbuns wrote: »
    When was Chris elevate to Group Communicorp Political Editor ?

He was given the job when he got the bullet from the DriveTime. It's sort of like when you want to get rid of the manager, and make him Director Of Football.

Advertisement