Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

He was given the job when he got the bullet from the DriveTime. It's sort of like when you want to get rid of the manager, and make him Director Of Football.

Also, the previous political editor Paraic Gallagher had left not long before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Simon "My brother is a doctor" Coveney on now.
    He is excellent at waffling, saying a lot whilst saying nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Newstalk should do away with the sound effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Simon "My brother is a doctor" Coveney on now.
    He is excellent at waffling, saying a lot whilst saying nothing

for a cork man simon doesnt sound very cork or remind us hes from cork every sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

neris wrote: »
    for a cork man simon doesnt sound very cork or remind us hes from cork every sentence.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Coveney is all that Newstalk ever get for detailed stuff.

However, neither he nor Kenny ever discuss the cash flow aspects of budget changes. It will take quite a while for the stamp duty rise to actually deliver money, meantime the EU controls how much we can borrow against future income.

Pascal Donoghue on PK earlier - is it just me or everytime Pascal says "with the greatest respect" that he's being incredibly patronising? I know that's stating the obvious to a degree, and it's hard to out-patronise Pat, but he managed it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I didn't hear everything but glad he put the numerous texts re: the dole to the Minister.

I employ a few people and it makes me sick that they have given more to the wasters on the dole than many working people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Paschal is patronising at the best of times but to outdo Pat is something else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Nearly crashed the car a minute ago and I probably shouldn't laugh but...

Jonathan Healy was doing a piece on Ireland's failure to implement the UN bill on Rights for the Disabled. They had a fella called Steven interviewing Finian McGrath. Anyway, interview happens and we later find out Steven is disabled so Chris Donoghue was asking the questions for him. We didn't know it and it cuts back to Healy and he says:

"You didnt know this but Steven is disabled which is why he sounds a bit like Chris Donoghue."

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Nearly crashed the car a minute ago and I probably shouldn't laugh but...

Jonathan Healy was doing a piece on Ireland's failure to implement the UN bill on Rights for the Disabled. They had a fella called Steven interviewing Finian McGrath. Anyway, interview happens and we later find out Steven is disabled so Chris Donoghue was asking the questions for him. We didn't know it and it cuts back to Healy and he says:

"You didnt know this but Steven is disabled which is why he sounds a bit like Chris Donoghue."

I caught the tail end of that and was wondering WTF did I just miss?

Row-wee Cowan on PK now reviewing bukes and dat. There's an envelope being opened somewhere in the city today that he's missing. :rolleyes:

Talking shoyte (or 'poo' as they call it) on PK now

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Talking shoyte (or 'poo' as they call it) on PK now

I can't imagine Pat will ask "wat colour is de shoyte?" a la another radio host......

I can't imagine Pat will ask "wat colour is de shoyte?" a la another radio host......
    What hue is the manure?
    is more like Pat

Quick recovery there from Richard E Grant,he almost said the f word and in the same breath changed it to shagged! Must ring Joe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Pat has really gone into full on anti Trump bore mode. He has become obsessed. He sounds ecstatically excited about the Manafort indictment. He had two interviews on it basically saying the same thing. Partisan interviews with partisan commentators is contrary to his previous professional objectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I wonder if it's what's hitting his audience figs ( he's down 1000 according to a lad in the jlnrs thread)

I view it through a comedic lens ala Eoghan Harris and the shinners but I gotta admit despite him still being the best broadcaster they have there have been days I've heard him say "trump" and switched straight to turbidy.

Which is saying something as I can't stand him.

Every feckin day is pushing it. Newstalk has never attacked a political figure here with such vigor and many of them actually destroyed the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Trump is not being attacked. There's nothing discussed or spoken about that isn't true, or not based on Trump's own words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Trump is not being attacked. There's nothing discussed or spoken about that isn't true, or not based on Trump's own words.

If he didn't keep saying offensive ignorant things, Pat wouldn't need to cover them.

Just because it's getting extremely tiresome at this stage, it doesn't mean it should be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    If he didn't keep saying offensive ignorant things, Pat wouldn't need to cover them.

Just because it's getting extremely tiresome at this stage, it doesn't mean it should be ignored.

It shouldn't be ignored, but perhaps not every single comment from Trump needs to be discussed on a daily basis.
    I get that 15 hours of current affairs weekly is hard to find but unless someone comes up with a plan to impeach Trump then this becomes very boring radio.

We all know he is a clown, but "oh look, here is what he has said today" segments leads to less listeners.

• Advertisement

Jonathan (for I am sure it is he) is in for Pat today. He has claimed that he thinks that there is a "coordinated" assault on his sensibilities by a high number of pro Trump texters on his show.
    Could this be another manifestation of the media bubble in that he suspects that people who disagree with the 'correct' views of his peers must be part of some coordinated conspiracy. Not just, as is the truth, ordinary people who happen to have a different viewpoint and who seem to be more numerous than he can comprehend within his limited media circle.

It's the same few posters in here who jump on anything anyone dares say about Trump's nonsense, so I can see how he might come to that conclusion.

Let me guess: Why isn't he asking about the crooked Hilary supporters? There are only a handful of them!

It's the same few posters in here who jump on anything anyone dares say about Trump's nonsense, so I can see how he might come to that conclusion.

Let me guess: Why isn't he asking about the crooked Hilary supporters? There are only a handful of them!

It is not about Trump per sui. It is about dismissing alternative opinions. Just like when Matt Cooper dismissed all the texters into his show (casting legitimate doubts on the media Halawa narrative) as being racist. This being in the context of admitting that by far the majority of texts were of that viewpoint. Just shows the quantity when they feel they have to read them out.
    The approach seems to be if the texts don't fit the media narrative they are either a conspiracy or just pure racism or chauvinism. Therefore they can be dismissed and delegitimised.
    The Irish media love the diversity word but sure doesn't practice it when it comes to opinion.

Well, that's b*llocks.

Every single day Pat reads out texts from pro Trump people. Every single day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jonathan Healy is just a one trick pony, regardless of his Anti-Trump views. Tedious fecker altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Ol' Donie wrote:

Different presenter, but so did Cuddihy. He seemed to relish the opportunity to engage with the illiberal texters' ideas.

Well, that's b*llocks.

Read what I said. It is a reflection of their quantity that they are impelled to read them out. Making a virtue of an unwanted necessity. Then the texts are dismissed as whatever....

quintana76 wrote: »
    Jonathan (for I am sure it is he) is in for Pat today. He has claimed that he thinks that there is a "coordinated" assault on his sensibilities by a high number of pro Trump texters on his show.
    Did he say 'texters' or was he also referring to social media?

Philip Boucher-Hayes has been highlighting, over social media, a phenomenon where he and other Irish journalists are attracting a substantial amount of fake Twitter followers, many of whom have gone to the trouble of getting phone numbers and registering them to fake twitter accounts.

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/921089989097730048

As Boucher-Hayes has pointed out, it only takes about 100 tweets to get a topic trending in Ireland. We know that organisations use fake Twitter accounts to promote certain narratives on Twitter, be they commercial or political in nature. That's been going on for almost as long as Twitter has been around.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if some pathetic individual, thinking himself to have some spiritual connection with Redneck USA, was abusing social media with fake accounts. Some people literally have that much time on their hands.

Did he say 'texters' or was he also referring to social media?

Philip Boucher-Hayes has been highlighting, over social media, a phenomenon where he and other Irish journalists are attracting a substantial amount of fake Twitter followers, many of whom have gone to the trouble of getting phone numbers and registering them to fake twitter accounts.

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/921089989097730048

As Boucher-Hayes has pointed out, it only takes about 100 tweets to get a topic trending in Ireland. We know that organisations use fake Twitter accounts to promote certain narratives on Twitter, be they commercial or political in nature. That's been going on for almost as long as Twitter has been around.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if some pathetic individual, thinking himself to have some spiritual connection with Redneck USA, was abusing social media with fake accounts. Some people literally have that much time on their hands.

Sorry to disappoint but he said texters.
    "pathetic individual, thinking himself to have some spiritual connection with Redneck USA".
    Says all I wanted to say really. Just because he has a different opinion to you he is a below contempt 'redneck'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

It is notable, I think, that many of the Trumpechaun illiberal texters use identical language, for example "lefty liberal snowflakes". Language I have never heard in real life, only in radio texts and on Boards.

Advertisement