Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Borderfox wrote: »
    Damp squids this morning instead of squib, provincial putzes

I believe they were taking the piss out of a Bertie Ahernism.

Also, wasn't that 'book club' section a bit of a clusterfeck, what with all of them talking at the same time and trying to cut in over everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

They took the pee out of Bertie a bit before that

I heard Pat say "a bit of a damp squid, as Bertie might put it", or words to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Jesus, 'Smashy' from Hot Press is insufferable...

He is so naff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

"To borrow a phrase from Bertie Ahern, it's a bit of a damp squid."

The slot with the Professor has a lot of interesting topics but I find myself tuning out when he comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

This journalist being interviewed by Pat about Catherine Nevin is hard to listen to.

Eh... like.....hmmm......eh.... You know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

padd b1975 wrote: »
    This journalist being interviewed by Pat about Catherine Nevin is hard to listen to.

sounded like she,d only woken up but interesting segment and that nevin 1 was a nutjob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

neris wrote: »
    padd b1975 wrote: »

sounded like she,d only woken up but interesting segment and that nevin 1 was a nutjob
    Yeah I thought she didn't do herself justice with the delivery. Sounded like she was still in bed. I cant imagine that her publisher was impressed either, as it was a perfect opportunity for her to re-sell her book about Catherine Nevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I hate anyone who speaks like this,it's hard to follow it . I would understand if someone who was never on the radio before, but journos should be far better than this.

Pat was trying to finish her sentences for her, which helped the conversation flow better ........ LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

The chat with Damien Browne about rowing across the Atlantic is very interesting. Some experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Kieran Cuddihy on doing a report on the UCD gender fluid nonsense. Radio off.

doylefe wrote: »
    Kieran Cuddihy on doing a report on the UCD gender fluid nonsense. Radio off.

Yeah. Feckin' contemporary socio-political issues. Can't be doing with it. Where's me earplugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭griffin100

Pat seems to be getting very involved in the Belfast rape case. This morning I thought he sounded like he was judging the evidence and insinuating that he didn't believe it.

Did anyone else get freaked out listening to him describing what a spit-roast was last week? I wounder did he google image it for accuracy.

the newstalk/today fm coverage of this rape trial in belfast is getting beyond the stupid at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There's going to be some melt down if the verdict goes a certain way, no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

neris wrote:
    the newstalk/today fm coverage of this rape trial in belfast is getting beyond the stupid at this stage.

It does seem excessive, both in graphic nature of describing sex acts and the amount/frequency/duration of the reports.

I wonder if it was the trial was being held in Ireland, would this type of reporting still happen, given jurors might hear some of the reports.

A feminist retelling of "The Little Mermaid". 
    She's a parody of herself at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

It does seem excessive, both in graphic nature of describing sex acts and the amount/frequency/duration of the reports.

I wonder if it was the trial was being held in Ireland, would this type of reporting still happen, given jurors might hear some of the reports.

When they're acquitted, the O'Neill's of this world will want something to blame it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

A feminist retelling of "The Little Mermaid". 
    She's a parody of herself at this stage.
    Indeed. Or her idea that Sleeping Beauty is actually a rape story. And that by telling children this story we are normalising rape. I suppose if the intention in modern feminism is to look for and find oppression of the patriarchy in every area of life this can be considered great work . On the other hand, "activists" like this author are removing the nuance and innocence out of all areas of life. Feminism is wonderful these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Indeed. Or her idea that Sleeping Beauty is actually a rape story. And that by telling children this story we are normalising rape. I suppose if the intention in modern feminism is to look for and find oppression of the patriarchy in every area of life this can be considered great work . On the other hand, "activists" like this author are removing the nuance and innocence out of all areas of life. Feminism is wonderful these days.

I have a colleague that wanted to rewrite all fairy tales with a "positive feminine outlook".

Told her I thought the wicked queen in Snow White was pretty bad ass and she said I had "internal misogyny".

Is that a thing ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

griffin100 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get freaked out listening to him describing what a spit-roast was last week? I wounder did he google image it for accuracy.

That sounds like an Apres Match sketch in the making tbh....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Pat has just mentioned George Soros re: financing Amnesty International in support of repeal of the eight amendment. The fact that he felt he had to explain to the general public who he is reflects the mainstream media blackout on the subject.
    He paid tribute to The Journal.ie for enlightenment on the issue that the contribution was illegal. Not a word about Colm O'Gorman refusing to give it back.
    He didn't want to talk about it. It was as if he was walking on eggshells and then dropped it like a hot potato. Something fishy there.

Jonathan Healy on today, reinforcing all the reasons why he will never get another full time broadcasting job, not even at Newstalk. He can keep his snide, childish, petty, biased, smart ar$e comments to himself. He might think that Trump is stupid, but Einstein said "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result". And until he changes that thoroughly dislikeable on-air personality (presuming that he's not actually that dislikeable in real life), then he will always be sitting on the subs bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Jonathan Healy on today, reinforcing all the reasons why he will never get another full time broadcasting job, not even at Newstalk. He can keep his snide, childish, petty, biased, smart ar$e comments to himself. He might think that Trump is stupid, but Einstein said "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result". And until he changes that thoroughly dislikeable on-air personality (presuming that he's not actually that dislikeable in real life), then he will always be sitting on the subs bench.

Healy's comment on Trump's 'stupidity' is an indication of Healy's stupidity and ineptitude as a broadcaster.
    With the exception of Pat Kenny, all the current affairs broadcasters on Newstalk seem to think that the programmes they host are just a platform for promoting their own personal opinions.

Roger_007 wrote:
    Healy's comment on Trump's 'stupidity' is an indication of Healy's stupidity and ineptitude as a broadcaster. With the exception of Pat Kenny, all the current affairs broadcasters on Newstalk seem to think that the programmes they host are just a platform for promoting their own personal opinions.

I think in today's world they get stick for having opinions......... by people expressing their opinions.

At this stage, there's probably no right or wrong answer in whether they should be allowed or not, just move the dial if you don't like it.

Only think you can be guaranteed about is if you get a show on radio or television, no matter how popular it is, someone will post on the internet about how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I think in today's world they get stick for having opinions......... by people expressing their opinions.

At this stage, there's probably no right or wrong answer in whether they should be allowed or not, just move the dial if you don't like it.

Only think you can be guaranteed about is if you get a show on radio or television, no matter how popular it is, someone will post on the internet about how bad it is.

If only you could move the dial. The uniformity of opinion in the Irish media is notorious.
    The media in the Soviet Union had more variety of opinion. It is a disgrace and will further escalate their long term decline.

quintana76 wrote:
    If only you could move the dial. The uniformity of opinion in the Irish media is notorious. The media in the Soviet Union had more variety of opinion. It is a disgrace and will further escalate their long term decline.

Lyric FM is your friend if you feel this way. The current day "Turn On, Tune in, Cop out" station to relax the mind.

Or Niall Boylan on Classic Hits. Best at night if you want......alternative.....views.

Edwina Curry pontificating down to the pixie head paddys again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

neris wrote: »
    Edwina Curry pontificating down to the pixie head paddys again

Pat would need to be wary of Edwina's offer to "walk hand in hand across the border". John Major didn't fare well when Edwina took him in hand?;)

Advertisement