Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Pat would need to be wary of Edwina's offer to "walk hand in hand across the border". John Major didn't fare well when Edwina took him in hand?;)

Caution would indeed be advised despite Pat's comment that it would be "an enticing prospect".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The three part documentary on the effect the Tuskar Rock plane crash had on the Walls family was superb. It's a shame there's no place (or funding, I'm assuming) in Newstalk's regular schedule for more work like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought Newstalk air documentaries from time to time. It's just the time they're on, if they're not on a bank holiday Monday, is usually not one where many people will be listening.

I've caught the odd one by accident but none of them have been that good. This one was 'Doc on One' quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It was good. They sometimes air them on Friday nights. I too would like to see them as a regular occurrence. I think it would have worked best to be played in one go rather than breaking it in to three.

It got a lot of pushing on various Newstalk twitter accounts which I found a bit curious.
    One Newstalk person referred to it as the best piece of radio ever produced which might have been pushing it a small bit.

• Advertisement

I wonder are they pushing it because it was done by a researcher from Pat Kenny's programme? Or that they think it has a chance of winning an award somewhere?
    You're right about it being less powerful being split up. In my case, I spotted it in my podcast app and decided to wait until all 3 parts had been added before I listened. I'm sure it'll be repeated at some stage and hopefully it'll be done as a standalone documentary.

I wonder are they pushing it because it was done by a researcher from Pat Kenny's programme?

I didn't cop that. Yep. That would explain it.

It's good but it's on a par with most of what Doc on One produce, not ahead of it really in my view but I'll listen to it again straight through.

It's a personal story well researched and nicely told. Not groundbreaking radio by any means but well done for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Pat being his usual petty self in an interview with pro-life campaigner Katie Ascough this morning. He asked her, in a particularly snide way, the usual questions we've all heard a million times already relating to abortion (You think that women should be condemned to ships over to England? So what you're saying is that women should be forced to carry the DNA of a rapist? You don't trust women? to which the 21 year old campaigner answered eloquently, respectfully and informatively. But that's not good enough for Petty Pat who accused her of avoiding his questions and persistently repeating questions to which she already gave a satisfactory answer. A nasty tactic so called impartial interviewers use to belittle guests they don't agree with. He then proceeded to read out 7 obviously pro-choice texts accusing her of lacking experience or of avoiding questions.

I don't care if you are pro-life or pro-choice, this kind of covert public shaming of campaigner's views should never be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Pat growing increasing exasperated with these anti choice people this week, they just won't admit they want to force rape victims to give birth, vile people, their days are numbered, religious Ireland is on the way out.

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote:
    I don't care if you are pro-life or pro-choice, this kind of covert public shaming of campaigner's views should never be tolerated.

Au contraire, he's tearing their arguments apart, doing a public service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Pat growing increasing exasperated with these anti choice people this week, they just won't admit they want to force rape victims to give birth, vile people, their days are numbered, religious Ireland is on the way out.

I hope you're right but this is the line in the sand fight for them. They're going to make this the dirtiest, filthiest campaign we've ever seen, and they've already started.

Mumha wrote:
    I hope you're right but this is the line in the sand fight for them. They're going to make this the dirtiest, filthiest campaign we've ever seen, and they've already started.

When will they realise that other people's bodies are NONE of their poxy business?

When will they realise that other people's bodies are NONE of their poxy business?

This would be the fetus' argument if it was able to defend itself from the hyenas of the hard left.

I can't wait to see the faces of Petty Pat and the filthy turncoat politicians when the silenced pro-life majority come out and vote. This has nothing to do with religion, it has everything to do with the millions of needless deaths in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I heard the interview this morning with Dr Donal O'Shea. He was very exercised about giving children Easter eggs and the dangers of obesity. He seemed to suggest that the the problem of obesity is largely to do with socioeconomic factors - the poorer you are the more obesity is a problem.
    So the message from Dr O'Shea is:
    DON'T GIVE EASTER EGGS TO THE POOR AND THE STUPID?

bfa1509 wrote:
    This would be the fetus' argument if it was able to defend itself from the hyenas of the hard left.

Women's bodily autonomy trump's cells and fetus', no one has the right to coerce women, those days are gone, Catholic Ireland is gone, good riddance.

I deliberately avoid repeal threads because of the polarized conversation.

Am I going to have to unfollow this one as well?

I deliberately avoid repeal threads because of the polarized conversation.

Am I going to have to unfollow this one as well?

Don't worry, I came to call out Pat for his pettiness and I am leaving now before I get swamped in the liberalism. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I'm only half listening but is the gist of what yer man is saying that scobes are scobes because people who aren't scobes "abandoned them"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

doylefe wrote: »
    I'm only half listening but is the gist of what yer man is saying that scobes are scobes because people who aren't scobes "abandoned them"?

Pat is taking him to task anyway.

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    Pat is taking him to task anyway.

Yeah. "Why do you hate the middle class?". Good man Pat.

The poor ould ****es got abandoned. Strange that all of the same state provided education systems available for the rest of us were available for them too.

Yet most people managed to get an education which leads to decent employment. But no, it's everyone else's fault for "abandoning and neglecting " certain cohorts who are stuck on the dole and make ****e of their own communities.

bfa1509 wrote: »

How do you know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

If Ballymun had been left as it was we,d be hearing no end of how theyve been neglected & left in squalor by the "elites". The place gets redeveloped and done up and its all the "elites" fault. You cant win with these shower. they take all they can get and contribute feck all yet its still not enough for them

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I heard the interview this morning with Dr Donal O'Shea. He was very exercised about giving children Easter eggs and the dangers of obesity. He seemed to suggest that the the problem of obesity is largely to do with socioeconomic factors - the poorer you are the more obesity is a problem.
    So the message from Dr O'Shea is:
    DON'T GIVE EASTER EGGS TO THE POOR AND THE STUPID?

O'Shea is an outstanding Irishman and clinician, and just like that other outstanding Irishman, Dr Chris Luke, they experience the effects of Irish society and have spent their careers trying to change it for the better. O'Shea probably has the data to back up his assertion, what do you have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I am leaving now before I get swamped in the liberalism. :)

Wrong forum for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Mumha wrote: »
    O'Shea is an outstanding Irishman and clinician, and just like that other outstanding Irishman, Dr Chris Luke, they experience the effects of Irish society and have spent their careers trying to change it for the better. O'Shea probably has the data to back up his assertion, what do you have ?

O'Shea is a crank. He constantly refuses to blame parents for their child child being severly overweight. I was in Dunnes yesterday and saw a woman walking down the aisle with her porky son. Her trolley was full o bottles of coke and cereals and crisps. O'Shea says we can't blame the parents. So who is to blame in that case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

O'Shea is a crank. He constantly refuses to blame parents for their child child being severly overweight. I was in Dunnes yesterday and saw a woman walking down the aisle with her porky son. Her trolley was full o bottles of coke and cereals and crisps. O'Shea says we can't blame the parents. So who is to blame in that case?

Dunnes for constantly advertising fizzy drinks and crisps of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

BPKS wrote: »
    Dunnes for constantly advertising fizzy drinks and crisps of course.

Crazy isn't it? Why do people like him, and this huge excuse industry that exists, believe some people are not capable of taking control of their lives? Does he think they are inferior humans? It's baffling.

• Advertisement

And what are the socio economic conditions of the parents ?

I've heard O'Shea speak and had the opportunity to chat to him, he's no crank. As I said in the earlier post, this guy has the data and research to back up what he is saying, what have you got ?

Advertisement