Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Mumha wrote: »
    And what are the socio economic conditions of the parents ?

I've heard O'Shea speak and had the opportunity to chat to him, he's no crank. As I said in the earlier post, this guy has the data and research to back up what he is saying, what have you got ?

What have socio economic conditions got to do with it? Are you saying that because this person lives in a deprived are she can't restrain herself from buying coke and crisps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Crazy isn't it? Why do people like him, and this huge excuse industry that exists, believe some people are not capable of taking control of their lives? Does he think they are inferior humans? It's baffling.

TBH I can see merit in some of the arguments he makes.

I have seen it with my own two eyes and there seems to be an inability of certain cohorts to do something like prepare a meal plan for a week and buy groceries accordingly.

I was talking to somebody employed by a high profile charity and he told me that when people come in begging for money for groceries, one of the things they cannot do is say how they would actually feed the family for €50 for the 4 or 5 days til they get their dole or whatever. The charity would often send an employee/volunteer with the person to the supermarket to help them shop. If they didnt then the €50 would likely to be spent in the chipper and on junk food for the fridge and press.

Its a combination of "monkey see/monkey do", the lack of basic education and a considerable deficiency of cop the fcuk on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

What have socio economic conditions got to do with it? Are you saying that because this person lives in a deprived are she can't restrain herself from buying coke and crisps?

I'm sure you are the bestest, super organised swiveller in the west, good for you. I hope your selfish bubble lasts for you.

However an awful lot of people are stuck in a never ending cycle of poverty, living day to day, buying **** food for themselves and their family, and lack the support (not just financial) to help them up and out.

Rather than just pointing at those less fortunate, and blaming them, provide the facilities and support to encourage them. That's where you have a better chance at successful outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Listening to those two **** about their film on Ballymun.

Absolute twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Red_Wake wrote:

Why the aggression? They are making a documentary about a suburb of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Red_Wake wrote: »

Absolute twats.

I found the discussion enjoyable and informative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I found the discussion enjoyable and informative.

Just looked at the trailer looks v interesting, I grew up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Absolute twats.
    I agree. My blood was boiling listening to them. Particularly the guy with the lower pitched voice - Smug, self righteous and sarcastic, he even managed to p1ss off the usually liberal Pat Kenny. It's a bad idea, as a documentary maker, to go IN to the project with your mind already made up. Ballymun just provided the backdrop for his agenda.
    You'd swear that the "ruling classes" had armed guards sitting outside Ballymun Towers, to keep the inhabitants trapped in their hovels. The truth is that the Government provided the towers as homes for people who could not afford their own homes and would have been on the street otherwise. There was nothing to stop anybody in the towers from improving their lot and moving out to better places, and many did.

I like Simon Coveney, but my god, will somebody get the guy some speech lessons or something. It's his JOB to be a good communicator. Yet every single interview... "We asked them to .... ahhh emmm... ahhh.. contact us about... eh ehhh ammm". I'm sure that he's an intelligent guy, but his interviews make him come across as unsure and unprepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

He has a speech impediment, he uses ahh and umm as a technique to get around pronouncing some letters which cause him difficulties

• Advertisement

I like Simon Coveney, but my god, will somebody get the guy some speech lessons or something. It's his JOB to be a good communicator. Yet every single interview... "We asked them to .... ahhh emmm... ahhh.. contact us about... eh ehhh ammm". I'm sure that he's an intelligent guy, but his interviews make him come across as unsure and unprepared.

He has actually come on hugely from where he was 10 years ago, where his speech impediment was much worse. There's great credit to him to get his speech to where it is now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

QueensGael wrote: »
    He has a speech impediment, he uses ahh and umm as a technique to get around pronouncing some letters which cause him difficulties

I didn't know that, he copes with it very well overall. The ehhh, emmms do show moreso when he's less sure footed on his brief.

Japers Coveney's playing it very jesuitical over this abortion brouhaha. Filing in with the cabinet and official party line whilst still (maybe) doing enough bleeting to keep the Crosshaven branch of Opus Dei from burning his gaff down.

I thought Pat was firm but fair with the 2 anti abortion women during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Mumha wrote: »
    He has actually come on hugely from where he was 10 years ago, where his speech impediment was much worse. There's great credit to him to get his speech to where it is now.

Bet he watched "The Kings Speech" like, a thousand times.:D

Fair play to him. I like him. Think he represents us very well.

humberklog wrote: »
    I didn't know that, he copes with it very well overall. The ehhh, emmms do show moreso when he's less sure footed on his brief.

Japers Coveney's playing it very jesuitical over this abortion brouhaha. Filing in with the cabinet and official party line whilst still (maybe) doing enough bleeting to keep the Crosshaven branch of Opus Dei from burning his gaff down.

I thought Pat was firm but fair with the 2 anti abortion women during the week.

Yes, he usually copes very well though I think he comes a little undone in a rapid fire situation. I remember the Vincent Browne debate in Cork before the last election where it really came down to himself and Micheal Martin. Martin is a very good debater (I'll say that much for him !), and Coveney clearly found it difficult with the speed of Martin's responses. Overall though, he's usually well briefed and gets his message across.

QueensGael wrote: »

I had no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I had no idea.

Me neither

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I heard the interview on playback the other night and didn't think he sounded too bad.

I find Leo (which I generally like) much harder to listen to!

Are we sure that Coveney has an impediment? It thought I would have known about it if he did, and I obviously wouldn't have mentioned it if I thought it was a physical problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Are we sure that Coveney has an impediment? It thought I would have known about it if he did, and I obviously wouldn't have mentioned it if I thought it was a physical problem.

Yes we are sure.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/watch-simon-coveney-reveals-how-he-overcame-speech-impediment-in-poignant-video-35748144.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FranklinMint

He came across very smart alecky today when dealing with the education segment.

Firing out tweets and trick questions to catch the interviewee out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

He came across very smart alecky today when dealing with the education segment.

Firing out tweets and trick questions to catch the interviewee out.

Pat's recent interactions with the Teacher's unions have been an absolute sh*tshow, well below his normal standards. His bias is showing, his emotions have gotten the best of him and AS ALWAYS his Newstalk research team have been letting him down badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Pat's recent interactions with the Teacher's unions have been an absolute sh*tshow, well below his normal standards. His bias is showing, his emotions have gotten the best of him and AS ALWAYS his Newstalk research team have been letting him down badly.

Maybe Pat is thinking of the holidays & what i remember Todayfm were the only one's that got Good Fri off ;)

#peevedoffpat

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Pat is a genuine professional. Don't mention Trump and he is the best we have as regards radio. Name someone in current affairs better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

quintana76 wrote: »
    Pat is a genuine professional. Don't mention Trump and he is the best we have as regards radio. Name someone in current affairs better?

Matt Cooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

quintana76 wrote: »

That's the problem with Pat. It's him that brings Trump into every conversation. He must really hate the man.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    That's the problem with Pat. It's him that brings Trump into every conversation. He must really hate the man.

I wouldn't say he brings him in to every conversation.
    Where he does, I think its because he is fascinated by what it means that someone like Trump has become president of the US. It says an awful lot about their discontent, the role of the media, the motivations of the political parties etc. Trump really is very relevant in ways beyond just that he won the election.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Matt Cooper

Used to be very good. Around 2 years ago contracted the right on, trendy liberal infection and hasn't recovered since.

Matt Cooper

Absolutely not. He asks question like they have been written on a piece of paper and often misses a significant comment by a contributor because of this.
    Also, he is in no way as well informed as Pat.
    Rachel English on Radio 1 is also well ahead of Matt. In my view anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Matt Cooper

He took the PC shilling and ate the PC soup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I find if funny how precious Trump supporters are when Don's antics are called into question. They come across just as thin skinned as DT himself and funnier still is I've noticed DT supporters are more likely to call people out for being Snowflakes if they disagree with the likes of DT or other right wing politicians/commentators.

Pat does do pieces on Trump where Pat can hardly hold back his disbelief- I don't find that's because Pat is of the "aghast media" type but because he's experienced enough and intelligent enough to know that a lot of Trump's behaviour is bizarre and is newsworthy.

I had been hoping more from right/right of centre policy supporters. But the whinging from Don's supporters is as much migraine inducing as his shrill detractors.

I think Pat parses the issues with Trump well enough even if everytime he does he receives a deluge of texts from butt hurt crybabies giving out about it. "whaaawhaaaaawhaaaaa...leave our Trumpy aloooone, whaaawhaaaaawhaaaaa"

Advertisement