Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

humberklog wrote: »
    I find if funny how precious Trump supporters are when Don's antics are called into question. They come across just as thin skinned as DT himself and funnier still is I've noticed DT supporters are more likely to call people out for being Snowflakes if they disagree with the likes of DT or other right wing politicians/commentators.

Pat does do pieces on Trump where Pat can hardly hold back his disbelief- I don't find that's because Pat is of the "aghast media" type but because he's experienced enough and intelligent enough to know that a lot of Trump's behaviour is bizarre and is newsworthy.

I had been hoping more from right/right of centre policy supporters. But the whinging from Don's supporters is as much migraine inducing as his shrill detractors.

I think Pat parses the issues with Trump well enough even if everytime he does he receives a deluge of texts from butt hurt crybabies giving out about it. "whaaawhaaaaawhaaaaa...leave our Trumpy aloooone, whaaawhaaaaawhaaaaa"

Well, I'm not a Trump supporter and I find his anti Trump bias tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So you think he should pretend that the stuff Trump does is great, just for balance or something?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So you think he should pretend that the stuff Trump does is great, just for balance or something?

No, but I expect an experienced, intelligent journalist to point out the flaws in a President regardless of their political views. Saint Obama got a free pass for 8 years, even though he was responsible for hundreds of deaths through the use of drones. But he's a trendy liberal so he gets a free pass. Whereas Trump says a rude word and the media go into meltdown. Very strange.

Right, so its not that what he is saying about Trump is incorrect, just you think its unfair that he doesn't target others as well?

Trump is carrying out more drone strikes than Obama, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Same here. Gas all the same that one cannot question the narrative however without being called out as a right wing Don Trump supporter.

Just aswell that I'm a card carrying left of centre TU actvist.

• Advertisement

Right, so its not that what he is saying about Trump is incorrect, just you think its unfair that he doesn't target others as well?

Trump is carrying out more drone strikes than Obama, btw.

So what? Did I defend him doing so? I'm talking about the double standards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Just to point out that my post above was more digging at people that text into Pat's radio show reacting to Trump items rather than posters on here.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Same here. Gas all the same that one cannot question the narrative however without being called out as a right wing Don Trump supporter.

Just aswell that I'm a card carrying left of centre TU actvist.

It's the old problem of people treating politics as a football match where you have to support your team and defend them at all costs.

So what? Did I defend him doing so? I'm talking about the double standards.

I never said you were defending him.

You used Obama terrible record using drone strikes as an example how how Kenny didn't go after him, yet attacked Trump for using bad words.

I was merely pointed out that Trump is worse, and we all know that the US is far from the peacekeeper it tries to portray itself as. But that is not the debate here.

Trump is being called out on the things he is doing, the fact that he is doing so many of them and on such a consistent basis is not the fault of Kenny.

It would be wrong for him not to comment or discuss them. Simply because you are tired of it does not in itself make it wrong.

I never said you were defending him.

You used Obama terrible record using drone strikes as an example how how Kenny didn't go after him, yet attacked Trump for using bad words.

I was merely pointed out that Trump is worse, and we all know that the US is far from the peacekeeper it tries to portray itself as. But that is not the debate here.

Trump is being called out on the things he is doing, the fact that he is doing so many of them and on such a consistent basis is not the fault of Kenny.

It would be wrong for him not to comment or discuss them. Simply because you are tired of it does not in itself make it wrong.

He should make some attempt at presenting both sides of the argument. If I wanted to watch partisan rubbish I'd watch Fox News or CNN. For weeks before and after the election he had various guests on to discuss the border wall, both in agreement that it is a bad idea. Not once was the opposing argument acknowledged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He should make some attempt at presenting both sides of the argument. If I wanted to watch partisan rubbish I'd watch Fox News or CNN. For weeks before and after the election he had various guests on to discuss the border wall, both in agreement that it is a bad idea. Not once was the opposing argument acknowledged.

He had a guy on this week, Monday or Tuesday I think. He was speaking about how successful Trump has been, like him or loathe him. Pat didn't disagree or freak out.

He had a guy on this week, Monday or Tuesday I think. He was speaking about how successful Trump has been, like him or loathe him. Pat didn't disagree or freak out.

Yes, heard that. Pat went a bit crazy just after the election but he has calmed down since then. I should say here that I have great respect for Kenny and think he's a great broadcaster, in case anyone thinks I have an agenda.

Sometimes there isn't two sides. This constant need for balance, for both sides to be treated equally is a nonsense.

Calling African countries sh1tholes, or that mos illegal immigrants are rapists and drug dealers, or or or.

Kenny is simply reporting what Trump is doing and pointing out how different it all is to what has gone before and what most people understand to be the norm.

As I said, it is not Kenny's fault that Trump does these things with such regularity than it drives almost constant headlines.

Kenny is a news show, and like it or not Trump due to the position of POTUS and just by being Trump, is big news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Did anyone else hear Jonathan Healy this morning say something along the lines of "Mo Mowlam, John Hume and all the others who aren't with us anymore"?

Does he think John Hume is dead?

8-10 wrote:
    Did anyone else hear Jonathan Healy this morning say something along the lines of "Mo Mowlam, John Hume and all the others who aren't with us anymore"?

Does he think John Hume is dead?

Think he was generalising that there were a great number involved in the process that ultimately brought peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Think he was generalising that there were a great number involved in the process that ultimately brought peace.

Yeah I thought that was what he meant but the wording really let him down I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was pretty sure Bertie called him Pat at one stage. Would be difficult to confuse the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I'm normally the first to bash him but I thought Jonathan Healy did a decent enough job today. Maybe a few months on the sidelines knocked a bit of sense into him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Groan. Looks like Healy all week. Kicked off this morning by lecturing listeners in his peculiarly constant smug and condescending tone.

Can't go over to 5live as they're broadcasting the Colonial Tiddlywinks Jamboree.

So it's over to Sean at 10 to fill my boots with Public Sector News Broadcasting. Makes me feel like an orphan looking in at Switzers Christmas window with their fancy talk of union deals, workers' conference beanos and tea bag kitty taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

getting really fed up now with this abortion thing, these know it alls pontificatiing and lecturing us is getting tiresome

• Advertisement

neris wrote:
    getting really fed up now with this abortion thing, these know it alls pontificatiing and lecturing us is getting tiresome

This is what's called an informed debate. There's accusations of lying and misinformation on both sides, but how else do we try to understand key topics in order to vote for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

This is what's called an informed debate. There's accusations of lying and misinformation on both sides, but how else do we try to understand key topics in order to vote for them?

that wasnt debate, that was some ego speaking down to us while trying to deflect the questions and spin his own agenda. a date hasnt been announced for a vote but this media merry go round has been going on so long its become tiresome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

neris wrote: »
    that wasnt debate, that was some ego speaking down to us while trying to deflect the questions and spin his own agenda. a date hasnt been announced for a vote but this media merry go round has been going on so long its become tiresome
    As someone who is completely and without any doubt on the other side of argument I though John McGuirk was rather good. I don't agree with his points but at least it was not another condescending soft spoken woman pretending she has compassion for women in crisis pregnancies that they like to wheel out for the campaign. They are completely interchangeable, all use the same arguments, the same tone of voice and the same gentle compassionate expression on their face and you know it's all fake and coached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Classic example of disproving your own point in that you obviously don't know much about the referendum as a date has been set for May 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Judging by the interview this morning with John McGuirk, Newstalk are approaching this referendum with the same lack of objectivity that they approached the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My radio has this remarkable thing called an off button, you should check it out...

meeeeh wrote: »
    As someone who is completely and without any doubt on the other side of argument I though John McGuirk was rather good. I don't agree with his points but at least it was not another condescending soft spoken woman pretending she has compassion for women in crisis pregnancies that they like to wheel out for the campaign. They are completely interchangeable, all use the same arguments, the same tone of voice and the same gentle compassionate expression on their face and you know it's all fake and coached.

This criticism applies to the repeal side as far as I can see.

Judging by the interview this morning with John McGuirk, Newstalk are approaching this referendum with the same lack of objectivity that they approached the last.

Nothing will be as bad as the bias during the last referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

No. It's special type of faux concern for rape victims or those carrying children with fatal fetal abnormalities. In the reality their statements amount to: I don't care how you suffer, you bitch, as long as you bring the child up to term. At least McGuirk didn't insult listeners with fake compassion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seriously? The likes of Ruth Coppinger or Clare Daly, say, you would see their public personae as exuding 'gentleness' and 'compassion'?

Advertisement