Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

meeeeh wrote: »
    No. It's special type of faux concern for rape victims or those carrying children with fatal fetal abnormalities. In the reality their statements amount to: I don't care how you suffer, you bitch, as long as you bring the child up to term. At least McGuirk didn't insult listeners with fake compassion.

You seem very intolerant towards anyone who holds an opposing opinion. I'm sure their concern is genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You seem very intolerant towards anyone who holds an opposing opinion. I'm sure their concern is genuine.

I just said I thought McGuirk was good. It's completely illogical to claim their concern is genuine when they want to keep inflicting misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Sounds like Jim Power is primed to miss the next bubble as well. Why anybody takes this man serious any more is completely beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Can’t stand Healy.

Completely different tone to the conversation today. You can tell when Healy is an advocate for a particular topic because for once he actually doesn't make smarmy, smart ar$e remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can’t stand Healy.

Think he's fine. Enjoy him when he's on occasionally.

Completely different tone to the conversation today. You can tell when Healy is an advocate for a particular topic because for once he actually doesn't make smarmy, smart ar$e remarks.

Most people could be adjudged to be guilty of that, and probably truthfully too.

Note Pat Kenny when anything about cyclists is on.

Jonathan was like that yesterday but Mcguirk handled it very well which ultimately gave even more credence to McGuirks position.

I found today's discussion a bit of a snozzefest. I'm probably not the target audience because I won't change my mind. More adversarial approach yesterday at least made it interesting to see how McGuirk will be dealing with awkward questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sounds like Jim Power is primed to miss the next bubble as well. Why anybody takes this man serious any more is completely beyond me.

He's doing the rounds, he rocked up with SOR later in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

wheres david mcwilliams these days

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    wheres david mcwilliams these days

Writting for Irish Times so he won't be on Newstalk any time soon.

Oh come back Pat soon, I can't listen to this self righteous f**ker any more.
    The need for the media to drive this hatred and chastising of men is reaching ridiculous levels at this stage.

The need for the media to drive this hatred and chastising of men is reaching ridiculous levels at this stage.

What was he saying? Missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

JH does a piece on a new book about the border and can't resist a swipe at the Brits - "Little Englanders" who voted for Brexit. God forbid that people should have the vote. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I detest him. He is a tabloid hack, more interested in creating controversy than getting at the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Kenny and Moncrieff the only listenable presenters on NT. Wish Kenny would flag his holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

What bothers me most about Healy covering is he completely changes the tone of the show right from his opening gambit. He spends 15 minutes asking the listeners 'what do you think about this issue that I'm sensationalisibg to the max here....' 'Text us in your feelings on this other issue i'm being all self righteous and indignant about'

He's not meant to be presenting a 'Dublin Talks' or Niall Boylan type show but that's how he opens the show every day. Wonder how Pat feels about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

heres the obligatory Healy booze bashing slot

neris wrote:

Here's the obligatory Healy bashing post.

They covered it in breakfast show as well, it's on page 3 of independent today. You can be damn sure RTE, Matt Cooper are also going to cover it. It's topical, can't blame Jonathan for covering it.

And! He's suggesting the article is a bit sensationalist and maybe we're not as bad as all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Alcohol action Ireland.

Wasn't there a few re-reg troll accounts claiming to be this crowd last year?
    Same on reddit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

neris wrote: »

Is he off it? If so must be an alcoholic taking each day at a time according to the views of the average Irish drinker. Known as the type to be envious of those who can drink reasonable responsibly and wanting to sabotage their enjoyment because of their own misery. Put such types on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Is Pat back on Monday? I foolishly said something kind about Healy on Monday. He was back to being a twit soon thereafter.

Is he still offering those "media training" courses? Reminds me of those Fair City actors who run an acting school.

How to be an unemployed broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Is Pat back on Monday?

Sadly, no :( Off to some other place until SOR at 10...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Serious propaganda concerning the refugees in Ballaghaderreen. The guy interviewed admitted he was a deserter and only left Syria to avoid having to take part in the war. Desertion is now rewarded with free accommodation and Irish citizenship.They kept mentioning families. Families of young men and bearded children more like it.
    Some 40 do-gooders got some made-up reward. Bet most of them weren't even local to the town. Johnathan Healy criticised all the people who were lighting up the screen (in his words) with complaints about the bias of the report as being heartless and short-sighted.
    The blatancy of the propaganda was the real sickener along with the sneering dismissal of anyone who made legitimate criticism. No surprise there.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Serious propaganda concerning the refugees in Ballaghaderreen. The guy interviewed admitted he was a deserter and only left Syria to avoid having to take part in the war. Desertion is now rewarded with free accommodation and Irish citizenship.They kept mentioning families. Families of young men and bearded children more like it.
    Some 40 do-gooders got some made-up reward. Bet most of them weren't even local to the town. Johnathan Healy criticised all the people who were lighting up the screen (in his words) with complaints about the bias of the report as being heartless and short-sighted.
    The blatancy of the propaganda was the real sickener along with the sneering dismissal of anyone who made legitimate criticism. No surprise there.

Can't even listen to that kind of nonsense anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I have no time for these plethora of award cermonies ... nothing but PR stunts & nice night out for the lovey-dovey selfcongratulatory types.

After the Aung San Suu Kyi debacle we should be giving them a wide berth.

Callan57 wrote: »
    I have no time for these plethora of award cermonies ... nothing but PR stunts & nice night out for the lovey-dovey selfcongratulatory types.

After the Aung San Suu Kyi debacle we should be giving them a wide berth.

An estimated 500,000 people dead in Syria and 6 million internally displaced and over 13 million needing humanitarian assistance. Some get out only to have their stories questioned and looked on with suspicion. :confused:

I hope ye realise how lucky ye are to live in a country where all ye have to give out about is listening to someone who now has a chance at a better life and the motivation and justification around awards ceremonies.

An estimated 500,000 people dead in Syria and 6 million internally displaced and over 13 million needing humanitarian assistance. Some get out only to have their stories questioned and looked on with suspicion. :confused:

I hope ye realise how lucky ye are to live in a country where all ye have to give out about is listening to someone who now has a chance at a better life and the motivation and justification around awards ceremonies.

The award ceremony was a virtue signalling contest, like most award ceremonies. I doubt any of these people care that much about migrants. Media luvvie Chris Hatfield was even on to lecture us about the evils of border ffs. I've no problem taking in some refugees but this constant virtue signalling is tiresome.

The award ceremony was a virtue signalling contest, like most award ceremonies. I doubt any of these people care that much about migrants. Media luvvie Chris Hatfield was even on to lecture us about the evils of border ffs. I've no problem taking in some refugees but this constant virtue signalling is tiresome.

I'll tell you what I find very tiring, this constant b*tching that anyone who does anything for someone other than themselves is only doing it to get attention for themselves.

Do people who complain about this really believe that no one is truly selfless, or even so, if they feel good for having helped someone else, how is that a bad thing.

• Advertisement

I'll tell you what I find very tiring, this constant b*tching that anyone who does anything for someone other than themselves is only doing it to get attention for themselves.

Do people who complain about this really believe that no one is truly selfless, or even so, if they feel good for having helped someone else, how is that a bad thing.

Well, I certainly haven't said that. What I do not like is being lectured to by rich celebrities like Hatfield who can easily avoid the effects of immigration. What are they doing exactly, apart from preaching? People like Bob Geldof, JK Rowling, Gary Lineker etc have been very critical of the UK for not accepting more refugees. But why don't they house some if they are so concerned. The people I've mentioned have multiple properties but won't house any refugees. That is the textbook definition of virtue signalling.

Advertisement