Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,733 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Comparing Trump to Hitler is hyperbole!!

that's it.

Let me know when Trump starts suggesting elements in society are rounded up for the gas chambers

Can you tell me the first time that Hitler publicly declared that? Was it during the 1st election campaign, his first term in office?

Hitler started off as a relatively benig force. He wanted Germany to break free from the 'tyranny' of the agreement from WWI. He wanted Germany to be for German's and for others to prove they were worth being there.

He felt the rest of the world was taking advantage of Germany, that previous leaders had allowed Germany to be embarrassed.

There are very clear similarities in the message and actions of both men. As I pointed out, people are not comparing Trump to Hitler at the end, they are comparing him to Hitler as he started out and attempting to show that what can look mild and harmless at the time can be seen in the bigger picture in hindsight. But since we already have seen it we do not need to wait.

Will Trump end up as the Hitler that we all think of? No, highly unlikely, but this is a man that openly threatened the complete destruction of a nation and its millions of people if they didn't do what he wanted. This is a man that appears to take pride in widening racial and religious bigotry, a man, lest we all forget, that thinks that Nazi's can be good people.

Is it hyperbole? Yes. But that is the very game that Trump played. Everything he does is based on hyperbole. The biggest crowd, the greatest POTUS, the most EO's. He crafted his entire election campaign on hyperbole. HC is a crook. Build the wall etc.

None of it is nuanced, it is designed to take advantage of the short attention span media. Get the headline, repeat it and people will believe it.

The professor is trying to make a point, and rather than tease it out with examples across multiple ages and administrations, he takes the one thing that he knows everyone will know. In a time limited slot it makes perfect sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Skid X wrote: »
    I thought as much. The Radio Forum is riddled with posters who have agendas who can't be bothered listening to the shows in question but still plough in as soon as one of their trigger topics is mentioned.

Saying that some of Trump's actions and behaviours have similarities to those of Hitler is not the same as saying Trump is the new Hitler.

I was responding to Leroy's comment.

Can I ask you a question - and please answer it directly: Do you think this lecturer, or Pat Kenny for that matter, would have a segment discussing whether there are similarities between Obama and some mass murderer, because Obama killed thousands of people through his drone campaign? Would that ever happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I was responding to Leroy's comment.

Can I ask you a question - and please answer it directly: Do you think this lecturer, or Pat Kenny for that matter, would have a segment discussing whether there are similarities between Obama and some mass murderer, because Obama killed thousands of people through his drone campaign? Would that ever happen?

I have zero interest in engaging in whataboutery with you.

This forum should be for discussion of shows by people who wait until they have listened to the sections in question before commenting, not as a soapbox.

Skid X wrote: »
    I have zero interest in engaging in whataboutery with you.

This forum should be for discussion of shows by people who wait until they have listened to the sections in question before commenting, not as a soapbox.

It's not whataboutery. It shows just how biased these people are, and that what they say should be taken with a pinch of salt. Tell Me How thinks no-one should challenge the great Professor because he has a PHD, but these people, especially college professors in Politics' departments, aren't usually the most impartial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

It's not whataboutery. It shows just how biased these people are, and that what they say should be taken with a pinch of salt. Tell Me How thinks no-one should challenge the great Professor because he has a PHD, but these people, especially college professors in Politics' departments, aren't usually the most impartial.

Actually, having known a great many of them, the vast majority, when speaking to the general public, try to remain unbiased, objective, and apolitical.

• Advertisement

But you haven't challenged him. You merely stated that it was rubbish, and mentioning Hitler lost him the argument.

Of course it should be taken with a pinch of salt, unless you absolutely know something to be true then take anything anybody says in that light.

Nobody is impartial, but certainly professors are used to reading critically many sources of information and making a judgment on that. What part of his interview was incorrect? Bias does not mean its wrong, simply that a particular bent is being used, so using certain facts but omitting others. But I have pointed out some clear similarities between Trump and Hitler, which you have done nothing to debunk.

So this guy has come on, with many years of study, and pointed out that Trump shows many of the same signs that Hitler did. You, on the other hand, have simply dismissed it. But you have dismissed it without any evidence to back up your position.

Actually, having known a great many of them, the vast majority, when speaking to the general public, try to remain unbiased, objective, and apolitical.

Well, I finished my degree 3 years ago in Law and Politics. The Politics lecturers, though nice people, were utter fanatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Well, I finished my degree 3 years ago in Law and Politics. The Politics lecturers, though nice people, were utter fanatics.

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach.

;)

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But you haven't challenged him. You merely stated that it was rubbish, and mentioning Hitler lost him the argument.

Of course it should be taken with a pinch of salt, unless you absolutely know something to be true then take anything anybody says in that light.

Nobody is impartial, but certainly professors are used to reading critically many sources of information and making a judgment on that. What part of his interview was incorrect? Bias does not mean its wrong, simply that a particular bent is being used, so using certain facts but omitting others. But I have pointed out some clear similarities between Trump and Hitler, which you have done nothing to debunk.

So this guy has come on, with many years of study, and pointed out that Trump shows many of the same signs that Hitler did. You, on the other hand, have simply dismissed it. But you have dismissed it without any evidence to back up your position.

Drawing parallels with Hitler is ridiculous. You would want to be pretty sure of your claims if you're going to compare the oaf Donald Trump with possibly the most evil man in history.

Drawing parallels with Hitler is ridiculous. You would want to be pretty sure of your claims if you're going to compare the oaf Donald Trump with possibly the most evil man in history.

So you keep saying, and that's a great opinion you have.

What exactly have you an issue with?

Did Hitler make the claim that he could make Germany better? Did he make the claim that Germany had been hard done by internationally and it was time to take back control?

Did Hitler use extensive rallies to throw out unfounded claims about his opponents?

Did Hitler renege on previously agreements? Did Hitler vilify certain sectors of the population based on nothing more than fear?

Did Hitler, once he got into power, claim total control so much that the laws didn't apply to him?

Did he call all those that stood in opposition to him as enemies of Germany?

You seem to be continuing with this fallacy that Hitler started off as the most evil and that comparing to Hitler is necessarily comparing to the concentration camps. Nobody is claiming that. People are, rightfully, looking at the comparisons of how Hitler came to and consolidated his power. They see the parallels with the non questioning following that both inspired; the denigration of facts, the abuse of any that stand up to them.

They see that people are happy to change positions on key ideas rather than question Trump. They see that his followers don't simply believe they need to support him, but in doing they must destroy those who oppose.

People in Germany, even as the war ended, some still believed that Hitler was working for them, for Germany. People had to be shown the evidence to believe and even then many didn't. Hitler is the most extreme example, but as they say the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

.......towards the leftist/liberal worldview.

quintana76 wrote: »
    .......towards the leftist/liberal worldview.

One could make the argument that it is telling that the majority of those that dedicate their professional lives to research, reading, understanding and knowledge come out in favour of this view.

One would almost think that when the vast knowledge is looked into the consensus is that this is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

So you keep saying, and that's a great opinion you have.

What exactly have you an issue with?

Did Hitler make the claim that he could make Germany better? Did he make the claim that Germany had been hard done by internationally and it was time to take back control?

Did Hitler renege on previously agreements? Did Hitler vilify certain sectors of the population based on nothing more than fear?

Did Hitler, once he got into power, claim total control so much that the laws didn't apply to him?

Did he call all those that stood in opposition to him as enemies of Germany?

Trump was created by his enemies with their intolerance towards dissent from and questioning of the left/liberal agenda. They lost the election, threw their toys out of their prams in shock and disbelief that anyone could disagree with them. This distress quickly turned into hatred.
    The comparison of Trump to Hitler is pathetic, juvenile and desperate. It is the last resort, especially of the left who famously when they have lost the argument resort to calling people Nazis or racists or whatever.
    Trump is nothing like Hitler and the more reality is stretched to try and accommodate this by his enemies the more they are discredited and seem increasingly desperate.
    It is also a grievious insult to the intelligence and awareness of his supporters and sympathisers (The famous basketfull of deplorables).
    I am sure it really will have the effect of showing them the error of their ways. Looks like the lesson of the defeat has yet to be learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Ya gotta admit.

"Trump derangement syndrome" is some laugh to behold though.

im half hoping he sorts north korea just to see his detractors explode when he gets the Nobel peace prize

:D

So nothing to actually say about the comparison I actually showed you then. Just a diatribe about the left who can't handle losing.

I am more than happy for you to debunk the points I made, it is a discussion forum after all. But simply saying that its juvenile and desparte does not an argument make.

Trump wasn't created by the left, wow what a way to shift the blame. He was created by those that agree with his rethoric.

The left don't insult their intelligence, they do. Try to call out anything that Trump does wrong and you are met with a wall of abuse, screeching about HC or Obama. The GOP sum up the approach. They don't agree on many things, but power is the answer to anything and as such they will sell whatever principles they have to hold onto it.

Anyway, this is a thread about Newstalk, there are plenty of threads about Trump.

The segment today, on which Hitler was mentioned, was classed as hyperbole and ridiculous. I have yet to see any argument that clarifies why that position is correct.

So nothing to actually say about the comparison I actually showed you then. Just a diatribe about the left who can't handle losing.

I am more than happy for you to debunk the points I made, it is a discussion forum after all. But simply saying that its juvenile and desparte does not an argument make.

Trump wasn't created by the left, wow what a way to shift the blame. He was created by those that agree with his rethoric.

The left don't insult their intelligence, they do. Try to call out anything that Trump does wrong and you are met with a wall of abuse, screeching about HC or Obama. The GOP sum up the approach. They don't agree on many things, but power is the answer to anything and as such they will sell whatever principles they have to hold onto it.

Anyway, this is a thread about Newstalk, there are plenty of threads about Trump.

The segment today, on which Hitler was mentioned, was classed as hyperbole and ridiculous. I have yet to see any argument that clarifies why that position is correct.

You are making vague comparisons between the two, a lot of which is purely subjective, and trying to deduce from that that Trump is the next Hitler. It's laughable and a symptom of the hysteria that has enveloped the liberals since Trump got elected.

Do you think Newstalk would ever hold a discussion on whether a Democrat President was similar to some mad dictator? No, of course they wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you think Newstalk would ever hold a discussion on whether a Democrat President was similar to some mad dictator? No, of course they wouldn't.

To be honest DickSwiveller, if you yourself do have a degree in politics, I'd have thought you'd be much better at discounting comparisons between Trump and Hitler than reverting to the democrat argument.

To be honest DickSwiveller, if you yourself do have a degree in politics, I'd have thought you'd be much better at discounting comparisons between Trump and Hitler than reverting to the democrat argument.

Well, TellMeHow, I do, but I don't think that bestows on me any great expertise on the subject. Leroy's comparisons are so subjective and vague that it is the equivalent of me saying Obama is like Pol Pot because they both liked hamburgers. It's not worth responding to.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach.

;)

You do realise that lecturers are academics who spend their livelihoods researching their chosen fields, right?

It's hard to take seriously someone who thinks a lecturer is just a glorified teacher.

Academics both 'do' and 'teach' ;)

Well, TellMeHow, I do, but I don't think that bestows on me any great expertise on the subject. Leroy's comparisons are so subjective and vague that it is the equivalent of me saying Obama is like Pol Pot because they both liked hamburgers. It's not worth responding to.

But you did respond. With no argument.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    You do realise that lecturers are academics who spend their livelihoods researching their chosen fields, right?

It's hard to take seriously someone who thinks a lecturer is just a glorified teacher.

Please read Noam Chomsky - one of the world's leading intellectuals - on just how closed minded intellectuals are. You'd be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Faugheen wrote: »

It was obviously a joke.

It was obviously a joke.

The full joke actually is,

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, lecture."

:):):)

No doubt its origins had as much basis in jealousy as fact.

But you did respond. With no argument.

I'm not responding to his points attempting to highlight the similarities between both because they are laughable.

I'm not responding to his points attempting to highlight the similarities between both because they are laughable.

DS - There was a guy on the radio saying Trump had similarities to Hitler. Totally crazy
    Leroy - Well there are a list of very similar traits that we can clearly see here are a few of them....
    DS - Laughable - I'm not going to bothering engaging in any debunking, Trump is nothing similar simply because. And yeah and all lecturers are biased which just proves the argument is wrong.

DS - There was a guy on the radio saying Trump had similarities to Hitler. Totally crazy
    Leroy - Well there are a list of very similar traits that we can clearly see here are a few of them....
    DS - Laughable - I'm not going to bothering engaging in any debunking, Trump is nothing similar simply because. And yeah and all lecturers are biased which just proves the argument is wrong.

I think you meant to say 'I' there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This thread is perfect example of Trumps evil powers. He fries people's brain over the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

meeeeh wrote: »
    This thread is perfect example of Trumps evil powers. He fries people's brain over the internet.

But what abiut Hilary frying people's brains?

Etc

Etc

Etc.

I think you meant to say 'I' there.

No I meant we. I mentioned them to a colleague who agreed.

So now we have that out of the way, care to add anything meaningful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Trump had a successful meeting with Kim Jong Un. Should be interesting to see how Pat and his many pro democratic contributors put a negative spin on it. The coverage yesterday was just childish. The quicker the people here just ignore the media completely as just lobbyists, in the same way the Americans just ignore the media, the better.

Advertisement