Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trump had a successful meeting with Kim Jong Un. Should be interesting to see how Pat and his many pro democratic contributors put a negative spin on it. The coverage yesterday was just childish. The quicker the people here just ignore the media completely as just lobbyists, in the same way the Americans just ignore the media, the better.

So, who do you listen to in order to become informed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Trump had a successful meeting with Kim Jong Un. Should be interesting to see how Pat and his many pro democratic contributors put a negative spin on it. The coverage yesterday was just childish. The quicker the people here just ignore the media completely as just lobbyists, in the same way the Americans just ignore the media, the better.

This is going to be a very enjoyable week, watching the snowflake journalists trying to twist the whole thing in to a negative for Trump. I'm particularly looking forward to Marian Finucane. I'm sure her panel will unanimously congratulate Trump. I'll get the popcorn in......

This is going to be a very enjoyable week, watching the snowflake journalists trying to twist the whole thing in to a negative for Trump. I'm particularly looking forward to Marian Finucane. I'm sure her panel will unanimously congratulate Trump. I'll get the popcorn in......

Yeah. He'll win the Nobel Prize, if this holds.

I'm surprised that a degree holder in politics, such as yourself, is resorting to the whole snowflake and popcorn imagery.

Thought there'd be a more insightful narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think it's nice that in some people's eyes Trump making friends with an oppressive dictator is a massive success, while him falling out with all of his allies is also a massive success.

Bodes well for the future.

Yeah. He'll win the Nobel Prize, if this holds.

I'm surprised that a degree holder in politics, such as yourself, is resorting to the whole snowflake and popcorn imagery.

Thought there'd be a more insightful narrative.

I'm not a big fan of the term Snowflake but I can't think of a better one at this time.

Sorry, TellMeHow, I'm too busy enjoying this great feeling of schadenfreude. I'll provide an insightful narrative some other time.

• Advertisement

Sorry, TellMeHow, I'm too busy enjoying this great feeling of schadenfreude. I'll provide an insightful narrative some other time.

Yeah he's really shown countries that if you threaten the US with a few missile tests, you'll end up being spoken of in glowing terms.
    That'll have other countries quaking in their boots.

On your sense of schadenfreude.
    The definition of which is ;
    pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

That doesn't surprise me. Trump fans are more interested in the misery of others than what affects themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I think it's nice that in some people's eyes Trump making friends with an oppressive dictator is a massive success, while him falling out with all of his allies is also a massive success.

Bodes well for the future.

Would it have been better if he didn't meet Kim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Would it have been better if he didn't meet Kim?

Well, we can't really say until we see what comes out of it, can we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Spot on. But some are dismissing it already.

Ol' Donie wrote:

Apparently, NK have committed to complete denuclearisation and the US didn't have to spend a penny.

That's according to Sean Hannity mind. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I wonder will Pat pick up on Enda acknowledging that Labour are politically dire as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

How annoying were those two foodie guests, fair play to them and all. But jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tubridys input was to criticise their haircuts this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Oh it was glorious!

I'll admit I'm only tuning in now for the lols. My personal favourite bit was pat reading out a text which basically said ya sorted north korea but what about Palestine ya bollocks.

:)

I swear this lot would prefer a nuclear war they're so nuts.

I can only guess what winning the peace prize would result in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I hope some compromise can come from the meeting. It would be good for the whole world and a huge achievement but it's a bit early to celebrate historic achievement and dish out Nobel Prizes. North Korea is a basket case and we can only hope they will stick to the agreement. Wars in Bosnia or Syria and elsewhere teach us that sometimes documents are not worth the paper they are written on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

meeeeh wrote: »
    I hope some compromise can come from the meeting. It would be good for the whole world and a huge achievement but it's a bit early to celebrate historic achievement and dish out Nobel Prizes. North Korea is a basket case and we can only hope they will stick to the agreement. Wars in Bosnia or Syria and elsewhere teach us that sometimes documents are not worth the paper they are written on.

Kim's father signed a pretty much identical agreement back in '92, and we all know how that stuck.

Also, this one also relates to the full denuclearisation of the entire Korean peninsula, including South Korea. Which essentially means that Trump has taken it on himself to preclude the (already nuclear capable) South from developing nukes, and precluded the stationing of American nukes in South Korea, which I think last happened also in '92.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just worth remembering that this agreement could be either pretty much meaningless or more subtly favourable to North Korea than first appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Kim's father signed a pretty much identical agreement back in '92, and we all know how that stuck.

Also, this one also relates to the full denuclearisation of the entire Korean peninsula, including South Korea. Which essentially means that Trump has taken it on himself to preclude the (already nuclear capable) South from developing nukes, and precluded the stationing of American nukes in South Korea, which I think last happened also in '92.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just worth remembering that this agreement could be either pretty much meaningless or more subtly favourable to North Korea than first appears.

.... or particularly favourable to the Chinese :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Perhaps try to get out more. Irish media's interest in Trump and America in general is just annoying at this stage. It started well before Trump but it seems to have increased since Trump got elected. I'm not sure most Irish people really care that much about Trump and this summit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Pretty great story to make you feel very lucky, winning Wimbledon etc in his mind fantastic.

Pretty great story to make you feel very lucky, winning Wimbledon etc in his mind fantastic.

I missed that. What was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

I missed that. What was it?

Anthony Ray Hinton. Spent 30 years on death row before being exonerated. This was one of his methods of coping. His book The Sun Does Shine is due to be discussed as part of Book Club in today’s show as well.

muggles wrote:
    Anthony Ray Hinton. Spent 30 years on death row before being exonerated. This was one of his methods of coping. His book The Sun Does Shine is due to be discussed as part of Book Club in today’s show as well.

Thanks. I'll look for it on player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Unbelievable dignity from an innocent man whose best years were spent on death row.

I'll definitely be buying that book.
    Inspiring but also tragic.

Edwina Currie patronisingly accused him of being sexist this morning. He had the good grace to not point out she misunderstood his point entirely.

muggles wrote: »

Listened to the interview last night on Newstalk playback. What a great man. Pat Kenny is a fantastic interviewer. Streets ahead of anyone else.

Listened to the interview last night on Newstalk playback. What a great man. Pat Kenny is a fantastic interviewer. Streets ahead of anyone else.

We finally agree on something! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Pat is in a league of his own, which has become really apparent of late when you compare him to the likes of Ciara Kelly et al. Even some of his contemporaries, such as Matt Cooper, have really gone backwards IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Pat is in a league of his own, which has become really apparent of late when you compare him to the likes of Ciara Kelly et al. Even some of his contemporaries, such as Matt Cooper, have really gone backwards IMO.

I agree that Pat is an excellent interviewer but I think he himself has gone downhill since joining Newstalk, but I would put the majority of the blame on his production team and researchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Agree, Cooper in particular has gone to the dogs since being bitten by the PC flea.
    Ciara is very painful to listen to so I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Jonathan having a right mental breakdown today.

Advertisement