Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Jonathan having a right mental breakdown today.

I despise Trump but Healy is so affected and dramatic I can't listen to him today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Jonathan is the worst example of Newstalk's practice of allowing their current affairs presenters to use their programmes as a vehicle for spouting the personal opinions of the presenters themselves. Healy goes overboard in letting us know how morally superior he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I had to switch over, he was just into his rant and comparing America to Nazi Germany.

I mean whats happening is bad but equating this to the holocaust is a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

No mention of the junkies and scum hanging around oconnell street. How very PC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Healy is a totally inept presenter.
    An utter shill for his own agenda,he has no impartiality and is incapable of hearing a differing opinion.
    His sarky,condescending tone is nauseating.

Newstalk are seriously shooting themselves in the foot by handing Pat Kennys show to this amateur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Ha, I've never entered this thread before but came on this morning on the back of Healy's address to the nation.

I've heard him do this sort of pompous monologue thing before.

Firstly, I'd ask what the show's producer is at allowing him to deviate from Pat Kenny's regular format when he's filling in. Kenny doesn't do this so why should his cover presenter?

And secondly, I realised about halfway through his soliloquy what he was up to - he's trying to ape James O'Brien from LBC. Unfortunately he falls well short of O'Brien's intellect and communication skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Jonathan is the worst example of Newstalk's practice of allowing their current affairs presenters to use their programmes as a vehicle for spouting the personal opinions of the presenters themselves. Healy goes overboard in letting us know how morally superior he is.
    The NewsTalk bunch must be a great laugh in the pub.They must have who hates Trump the most competitions. Who loves Islam and economic migrants the most competitions.
    With a few exceptions, they all sing from the same hymn sheet. The Irish media is dreadfully uniform and conformist. Used to be somewhat better. Now it is mostly PRAVDA style simplistic propaganda over complex reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was left agog at the sh1te Healy was spouting this morning. He is completely unable to absorb any information or facts that don't align with his own internal monologue. That's fine if you're standing in for Jeremy Kyle, not if you're covering Newstalk's blue riband programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

What bothers me most about Healy covering is he completely changes the tone of the show right from his opening gambit. He spends 15 minutes asking the listeners 'what do you think about this issue that I'm sensationalisibg to the max here....' 'Text us in your feelings on this other issue i'm being all self righteous and indignant about'

He's not meant to be presenting a 'Dublin Talks' or Niall Boylan type show but that's how he opens the show every day. Wonder how Pat feels about it

I'm quoting myself here I know! :D I posted this when he covered last month..He does the same thing every time he covers...drives me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

The photo of the crying boy was taken at a protest outside Dallas city Hall, not at the border. The media used the image to attack Trump. Do people not realise what's going on at the border, it's riddled with crime, sex trafficking, child trafficking, it's completely lawless. Kids may be separated for a period of time until ICE can verify if the adults accompanying them are in fact their parents/guardians, It's not a nice taught but child trafficking is happening. Off course there are legitimate families crossing the border, l would be shocked if these families are separated for any significant period of time, or until parents voluntarily deport themselves I'm sure they are always reunited. Unless you believe in open borders, what else can the US do? Catch and release doesn't work either, as they just go off grid. Trump is the first president to really try and tackle the problem, it was a hot potato for others. Maybe I'm totally wrong. This is where I would like Broadcaster's to inform me, by having a more rounded discussion on the topic, unfortunately what I heard this morning from Healy was virtue signaling in it's most naked form. This type of biased rhetoric severs no one in my opinion. Can broadcaster's not remain impartial anymore and stop leading their guest down one particular path. Explore other avenues. So as a listener I'm presented and confronted with something maybe more challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind and when you talk about balance what you really mean is that you want someone to agree with your POV.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind and when you talk about balance what you really mean is that you want someone to agree with your POV.

No he does not. He is referring to the same POV (otherwise known as propaganda) being shoved down people's throats 24/7 by the Irish media. No other POV is tolerated. It is sometimes permitted to be expressed in order to be outnumbered and attacked as with Vincent Browne's stacked panels. A sad state of affairs which is increasingly having the opposite effect on public opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

quintana76 wrote:
    No he does not. He is referring to the same POV (otherwise known as propaganda) being shoved down people's throats 24/7 by the Irish media. No other POV is tolerated. It is sometimes permitted to be expressed in order to be outnumbered and attacked as with Vincent Browne's stacked panels. A sad state of affairs which is increasingly having the opposite effect on public opinion.

Propaganda?

You mean like Fox News?

Propaganda?

You mean like Fox News?

I am talking about the wonderful variety of opinion in the Irish media not the American.

quintana76 wrote:
    I am talking about the wonderful variety of opinion in the Irish media not the American.

So what voice would you like to see represent the alternative view on Irish media?

So what voice would you like to see represent the alternative view on Irish media?

Any alternative voice.

And what do you want them to say?

In the case of the detention of children away being removed from their parents, even Trump states that he doesn't like it and wants it changed, if only for those nasty Democrats and their minority on both houses and not being the POTUS.

But in a more general sense it appears to me that people want to hear their opinions voiced in the media, without taking into account that maybe that opinion is wrong. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion but that doesn't it needs to be given given equal time.

I always find it ironic that the more conservative side of things, like in the recent abortion ref, feel like they are not been given the right amount of coverage. These are the very same people that not only want their opinions to be considered but in the past have ensured that laws were passed that made sure their opinions became the law.

They are now in the minority and seemingly are all for equality and respect and taking peoples views into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

monstermag wrote: »
    The photo of the crying boy was taken at a protest outside Dallas city Hall, not at the border. The media used the image to attack Trump. Do people not realise what's going on at the border, it's riddled with crime, sex trafficking, child trafficking, it's completely lawless. Kids may be separated for a period of time until ICE can verify if the adults accompanying them are in fact their parents/guardians, It's not a nice taught but child trafficking is happening. Off course there are legitimate families crossing the border, l would be shocked if these families are separated for any significant period of time, or until parents voluntarily deport themselves I'm sure they are always reunited. Unless you believe in open borders, what else can the US do? Catch and release doesn't work either, as they just go off grid. Trump is the first president to really try and tackle the problem, it was a hot potato for others. Maybe I'm totally wrong. This is where I would like Broadcaster's to inform me, by having a more rounded discussion on the topic, unfortunately what I heard this morning from Healy was virtue signaling in it's most naked form. This type of biased rhetoric severs no one in my opinion. Can broadcaster's not remain impartial anymore and stop leading their guest down one particular path. Explore other avenues. So as a listener I'm presented and confronted with something maybe more challenging.

You don't need Jonathan Healy to educate you on the policy.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/us/immigration-deported-parents.amp.html

Healy is at it again. He is some gob****e. What an amateur. We have all been waiting with baited breath for his words of wisdom. Who the hell does he think he is. What an inflated sense of ego to think that people care what he actually thinks. (As if there is one ounce of originality or non-conformity in his self indulgent 'opinions').
    Get on with your fill in job and stop showing up what a professional broadcaster Pat Kenny actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Jesus this Healy fella is unbearable.

• Advertisement

quintana76 wrote: »
    Healy is at it again. He is some gob****e. What an amateur. We have all been waiting with baited breath for his words of wisdom. Who the hell does he think he is. What an inflated sense of ego to think that people care what he actually thinks. (As if there is one ounce of originality or non-conformity in his self indulgent 'opinions').
    Get on with your fill in job and stop showing up what a professional broadcaster Pat Kenny actually is.

Yu really don't like hearing other people have different opinions that yourself.

It is hardly a takeover of the media. The guy is given a slot, for what a week or two, and the tone of the program has changed to reflect the presenters views. So what. We have 48 weeks or so of Kenny, we have RTE commanding the airwaves for years.

There are other programs you can listen to. Get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Yu really don't like hearing other people have different opinions that yourself.

It is hardly a takeover of the media. The guy is given a slot, for what a week or two, and the tone of the program has changed to reflect the presenters views. So what. We have 48 weeks or so of Kenny, we have RTE commanding the airwaves for years.

Your first sentence is hugely ironic by then going on to tell us to get over ourselves for having an opinion!!

Nice.

Not so unbearable that people who hate don't continually tune in.

A cynic might suggest it's just so they can be outraged on social media.

He's not at Pat's level. Few are though to be fair.

So the fact that he a crap broadcaster and is an insult to Pat Kenny in his absence doesn't matter, once he has the correct views?

Your first sentence is hugely ironic by then going on to tell us to get over ourselves for having an opinion!!

Nice.

I am not saying you shouldn't have an opinion, I explicitly stated that earlier, just that your opinion is wrong and you need to get over this idea that somehow you are being unfairly treated or that the media is out to subvert your agenda.

I have engaged with those posters having this position, so not sure why you think it correct to somehow suggest I want to silence anyone.

Not so unbearable that people who hate don't continually tune in.

A cynic might suggest it's just so they can be outraged on social media.

He's not at Pat's level. Few are though to be fair.

Switched off once he started ranting. No more listening for me until Pat Kenny comes back or somebody replaces Healy.

quintana76 wrote:
    So the fact that he a crap broadcaster and is an insult to Pat Kenny in his absence doesn't matter, once he has the correct views?

I gather that if he had alternative views you'd be much happier with him.

quintana76 wrote: »

Subjective. In what basis is it a fact? That is your opinion, clearly not one shared by the station owners, producers or listeners.

You might not like his style or his content, on that's fine, but many others do (not me personally I have to say)

I gather that if he had alternative views you'd be much happier with him.

Nah! He is just an irritating broadcaster with too high an opinion of his own relevance.

• Advertisement

Subjective. In what basis is it a fact? That is your opinion, clearly not one shared by the station owners, producers or listeners.

You might not like his style or his content, on that's fine, but many others do (not me personally I have to say)

Well they are not exactly spoiled for choice. Are they?

Advertisement