Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

alaimacerc wrote: »
    They're not really voting on whether the "regime" should be changed or not. The Supreme Leader, the constitution establishing it as an "Islamic Republic", etc, abide. And of course which candidates are allowed to stand in the first place is restricted.

(One might also note what direct popular vote does and doesn't determine in the US system, too. Though no-one would claim the two are at the same point in the flawed democracy/hybrid regime scale. Yet.)

In Iran there is a Council of Guardians who decide who can run for election or not. It consists of unelected senior clerics. Their decision is final. No hope of change from that direction. According to sophisticated leftists the poor innocents are being pulled up by that big bully Trump just because he is nasty and hates Muslims.(who are always saintly and are always victims).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Doles role is not wealth redistribution, it's to temporarily support people between jobs, too many are choosing to live on it for life.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I thought Cuddihy put in a decent shift this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

humberklog wrote: »
    I thought Cuddihy put in a decent shift this week.
    I've always thought that he's decent enough to be fair. A safe pair of hands, but not overly PC like a lot of his generation these days.

Yeah Cuddihy stands out from the stand-ins by not taking the generic PC line.
    And on that subject he had the decency to warn listeners that Healy is on all of next week

• Advertisement

Ah no JH.Just seen above announcement. BBC World Service for me this week so.

I wonder by how much the listenership figures drop when J.H's voice is heard at the start of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

quintana76 wrote: »
    I wonder by how much the listenership figures drop when J.H's voice is heard at the start of the show.

Pretty safe bet it doesn't drop that much, comparatively speaking. Or he wouldn't be getting the gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Pretty safe bet it doesn't drop that much, comparatively speaking. Or he wouldn't be getting the gig...
    They wouldn't know.

I'm another that can't listen to him. It's unbearable!

Don't know about that. It is not as if they are spoilt for choice.

• Advertisement

Right and left finally united on Boards: JH truly sucks! 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They wouldn't know.

I'm another that can't listen to him. It's unbearable!

You're right, how would they.

Not like they have metrics indicating listenership such as texts in or social media hits to compare from week to week.

No siree. Definitely not.

Healy is just now making suggestions for questions from listeners for Sean Spicer who is due to appear on today's programme. "Is Trump a racist"? Is his own first recommendation.
    Pathetic. Pat has a touch of TDS but would never be that crassly juvenile. Healy is really terrible. The only reason I heard it was the in forlorn hope that Kenny might be back. This is what we get instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Seems a reasonable sort of question. Yesterday, Trump called up an Hispanic race customs officer as part of a WH evnt to celebrate their fantastic work for the US, and told the crowd "Speaks perfect English".

Now what do you think was his basis for having to say that? Do you think he would have said that from a white person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Seems a reasonable sort of question. Yesterday, Trump called up an Hispanic race customs officer as part of a WH evnt to celebrate their fantastic work for the US, and told the crowd "Speaks perfect English".

Now what do you think was his basis for having to say that? Do you think he would have said that from a white person?

Oh the horror. How will the Hispanic gentleman ever recover?

Oh the horror. How will the Hispanic gentleman ever recover?

Ah, so its a joke then, well lets all laugh at the strange speaking foreigners then!

The question, which you attempt to avoid, was why he felt the need to say it. Lets look at the options. On what basis do you think he assumed people might assume he spoke only Spanish?

The colour of his skin, or his name, where the only things he had available to judge him on. So he made an assumption based on a persons race.

Do you know what the definition of racism is?

Surely that was meant as praise. That is what integration requires. It is an example of
    a success story. Or is it now considered "racist" to learn the language of the host society.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

You're right, how would they.

Not like they have metrics indicating listenership such as texts in or social media hits to compare from week to week.

No siree. Definitely not.

"metrics like texts" :D

A few texts from a few headbangers (most likely from people on here) is a metric? :D

You're aware that they're being deluged by texts complaining about Healy? You know this? Or do you think the vacuum on this thread is necessarily representative of the real radio listening world?

I'm sure they get some texts but enough to suggest there's actually a problem? I very much doubt it.

Surely that was meant as praise. That is what integration requires. It is an example of
    a success story. Or is it now considered "racist" to learn the language of the host society.

Its not, its is a success story for him.

But nothing at all to do with the event.

Again, on what basis do you think Trump decided that the gathered crowd needed to be told he spoke English? Do you think he would have done it for a white person?

The point is that racism is a clear issue within the US, and the current POTUS has done little in terms of rectifing that. It, therefore, is a reasonable question to ask if the person in charge of a country with serious racial issues is himself a racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

On what basis do you assume he was an immigrant. Happy to be corrected on this, by the way.

But huge swathes of the US southwest have always had large Hispanic populations, a legacy of the annexation and, frankly, imperialistic expansion of the US in the 19th century, specifically the war with Mexico.

Again, if you've heard he's actually not a US citizen born and raised, happy to be corrected.

• Advertisement

On what basis do you assume he was an immigrant. Happy to be corrected on this, by the way.

But huge swathes of the US southwest have always had large Hispanic populations, a legacy of the annexation and, frankly, imperialistic expansion of the US in the 19th century, specifically the war with Mexico.

Again, if you've heard he's actually not a US citizen born and raised, happy to be corrected.

Maybe Trump thought he was born in Mexico. I don't know. Seems a bit of an overreaction. I doubt the hispanic fella cared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Its not, its is a success story for him.

But nothing at all to do with the event.

Again, on what basis do you think Trump decided that the gathered crowd needed to be told he spoke English? Do you think he would have done it for a white person?

Maybe because America large proportion of US latino population doesn't speak English. From Wikipedia:
    Generally, Hispanic American origin US residents (13.4% of the 2002 population) are bilingual to a degree. A Simmons Market Research survey recorded that 19 percent of the Hispanic American origin population speak only Spanish, 9 percent speak only English, 55 percent have limited English proficiency, and 17 percent are fully English-Spanish bilingual.[33]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language_in_the_United_States

Trump is a tool, he might be also racist but yes a majority of hispanic origin residents in US don't speak English or don't speak it fluently. it Changes with future generations. I don't think there is anything to be outraged about this time.

Maybe Trump thought he was born in Mexico. I don't know. Seems a bit of an overreaction. I doubt the hispanic fella cared.

Again, its not really the point. The poster asked if asking the previous press secretary to the WH if Trump was racist was reasonable.

I merely gave a very small example of why that is a reasonable question.

Racism is a hot issue in many countries, and certainly in the US. Thus it seems reasonable to ask what the stance of the person in charge is and it gives an insight into position they take.

Given his statements on Mexicans, Africans, how he has treated Puerto Rico, his claim to want Norwegians rather than Africans etc, I would judge it as a reasonable question. You ask questions to find answers, you don't need to have proven something before asking a question.

Don't worry about the specific details. It's just the usual suspects expressing the usual fake outrage about anything Trump says. They care as much about Hispanics as do Hollywood stars. It's not about them it's about themselves and how virtuous they seem and how in tune with their peers. Sadly, this is also endemic in the media.

Don't worry about the specific details. It's just the usual suspects expressing the usual fake outrage about anything Trump says. They care as much about Hispanics as do Hollywood stars. It's not about them it's about themselves and how virtuous they seem and how in tune with their peers. Sadly, this is also endemic in the media.

What a strange position to have. You don't think that people should talk about racism unless it effects them personally? You don't think people are able to express on a view on a situation unless they are personally involved?

I agree that racism wouldn't be the first question I would ask.

I would ask Spicer, "At what point did he realise that lying was a fundamental part of his job and why did he think that was ok?"

Second question would be whether he lied of his own volition of whether it was on the orders of Trump.

Third question would be "Are you lying now and how would we know that you aren't since you clearly accept that lying is appropriate to achieve a goal".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Listening to this holier than thou clown Jonathan Healy with his petty little slights.

"How did it feel lying for Donald Trump?"

Well Jonathan, how does it feel being part of PR for Denis O'Brien. He would want to look to his own boss and ask a few moral questions of himself.

Listening to this holier than thou clown Jonathan Healy with his petty little slights.

"How did it feel lying for Donald Trump?"

Well Jonathan, how does it feel being part of PR for Denis O'Brien. He would want to look to his own boss and ask a few moral questions of himself.

Healy definitely has some dirt on Newstalk bosses. He really is the worst kind of smug man-child on the radio - and believe me he has competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Only heard the last minute I would say of the interview with Sean spicer. As a host you may not like the man but do your research and know the name Of his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Interesting considering Trump has a very limited grasp of English himself ... wonder has he checked if his current in-laws speak English? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Healy in all next week too.

O'Rourke and Kenny must be off picking lychees on a kibbutz, laughing like drains.

Advertisement