Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Stoolcup wrote: »
    I just love the selective outrage here. Saturday night live did a skit a few days ago mocking Kavanaugh, a person who is INNOCENT until proven guilty, and Trump makes a few funny comments about a Complainant and the Trump derangement syndrome starts kicking in again.

When your president is making fun of a potential abuse victim we've travelled to a whole new land of gaga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭griffin100

His anti Brexit position is starting to consume him. I accept he's opposed to Brexit and thinks the UK citizens who voted for it and their politician are idiots, but he took it to a whole new level yesterday when he told Newton Emerson that the fact that it's called brexit showed that the rest of Britian didn't care about Norn Iron as it's not in Britain but rather part of the UK, and brexit should be called something different to reflect this and be inclusive of Northern Ireland. It reminded me of the time he had a go at Edwina Curry about the plural of referendum and his better knowledge of Latin........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

griffin100 wrote: »
    His anti Brexit position is starting to consume him. I accept he's opposed to Brexit and thinks the UK citizens who voted for it and their politician are idiots, but he took it to a whole new level yesterday when he told Newton Emerson that the fact that it's called brexit showed that the rest of Britian didn't care about Norn Iron as it's not in Britain but rather part of the UK, and brexit should be called something different to reflect this and be inclusive of Northern Ireland. It reminded me of the time he had a go at Edwina Curry about the plural of referendum and his better knowledge of Latin........

He's not wrong though. When Johnson, Farage, May et al talk about "a better future for our country", which of the 4 countries are they talking about? Probably not the 2 that voted to remain in the EU I'd imagine.

griffin100 wrote: »

It reminded me of the time he had a go at Edwina Curry about the plural of referendum and his better knowledge of Latin........

It was Curry that was throwing the Latin about if I recall correctly,and he schooled her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

kneemos wrote: »
    When your president is making fun of a potential abuse victim we've travelled to a whole new land of gaga.

Oh please cut out the sanctimony. This is someone who waited 30 plus years to make a complaint. Feinstein sat on the claim until it was politically convenient to make it public. Ms Forde is a registered Democrat and activist. You can understand why some people are skeptical. Or has everyone here been completely consumed by the #metoo cult?

• Advertisement

Oh please cut out the sanctimony. This is someone who waited 30 plus years to make a complaint. Feinstein sat on the claim until it was politically convenient to make it public. Ms Forde is a registered Democrat and activist. You can understand why some people are skeptical. Or has everyone here been completely consumed by the #metoo cult?

Yeah, but, if she was assaulted, is the potential for the assaulter getting a seat on the supreme court not sufficient to speak up?

She probably felt for 30 years that she would be treated as she is being now, but, given the situation in which Kavanaugh is not in (nomination for supreme court) and his likely partisan behaviour should he get on it, is it not plausible that that would be a motivation to expose herself to this vitriol?

Lots of people (male and female) don't make complaints for a variety of reasons, that doesn't mean that there cannot be something which causes them to finally think, no, it's time I said something.

Yeah, but, if she was assaulted, is the potential for the assaulter getting a seat on the supreme court not sufficient to speak up?

She probably felt for 30 years that she would be treated as she is being now, but, given the situation in which Kavanaugh is not in (nomination for supreme court) and his likely partisan behaviour should he get on it, is it not plausible that that would be a motivation to expose herself to this vitriol?

Lots of people (male and female) don't make complaints for a variety of reasons, that doesn't mean that there cannot be something which causes them to finally think, no, it's time I said something.

Looks a bit of a scumbag anyway regardless of the assault allegations.

But why didn't she go to the police? Instead she went to he Washington Post - a liberal rag. Will this be the case any time a Conservative is to be promoted? That a woman will come forward and say she was assaulted X number of years ago and people like you will believe her - and anyone who suggests it might be politically motivated will be called a rape apologist. This is the current climate and it's only going to get worse.

My own view is that Kavanaugh is being hounded because of his pro life views. Planned Parenthood have been tweeting today, threatening Senator's to vote No or else they will target them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Facts may go a long way. It first came out years ago in therapy.

And calling the Washington Post a liberal rag, you really have no clue.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Facts may go a long way. It first came out years ago in therapy.

And calling the Washington Post a liberal rag, you really have no clue.

I do. I lived there for 5 years. It's a rag.

• Advertisement

I do. I lived there for 5 years. It's a rag.

Nope. Living somewhere doesn't actually give you an inciteful knowledge.(sic)

Pulitzer prize winners the last 3 years in a row, although that's probably some liberal conspiracy too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Nope. Living somewhere doesn't actually give you an inciteful knowledge.

If you mean insightful, that is a ludicrous statement.

Nope. Living somewhere doesn't actually give you an inciteful knowledge.

Well, I read it every day and I now it's a Democrat mouthpiece. What we are seeing here is the hounding of anyone who isn't on board with fashionable opinion Re abortion etc. I warned friends of mine that there was a faction within the pro-choice movement in Ireland who despise people with conservative opinions. I witnessed them on their marches. I've no doubt it is even worse in the US.

Only in America is liberal an insult.

mattser wrote: »
    If you mean insightful, that is a ludicrous statement.

A spelling correction is best you can do?
    kneemos wrote: »
    Only in America is liberal an insult.

Sadly that level of idiocy is becoming more common place here.

Don't be so touchy. I wasn't trying to be smart. Just thought it was ludicrous ( if you meant insight ), that five years in a place wasn't enough time to give someone a fair degree of same.

Sadly that level of idiocy is becoming more common place here.

Who used it as an insult?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Pat Kenny is proving , yet again that the Irish media is an arm of the Democratic Party. Will always support them no matter how insane they have become. Very partisan stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

I just love the selective outrage here. Saturday night live did a skit a few days ago mocking Kavanaugh, a person who is INNOCENT until proven guilty, and Trump makes a few funny comments about a Complainant and the Trump derangement syndrome starts kicking in again.

I'm surprised SNL did that skit at all, I know they were mocking Kavanaugh but in doing so were they not softening the whole incident, baring in mind how serious a rape allegation is.
    Pat played a clip of it on his show and seemed to get a kick out of it. Myself l found it distasteful. But because it got the seal of approval from so called liberals it met Pat's standards.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is proving , yet again that the Irish media is an arm of the Democratic Party. Will always support them no matter how insane they have become. Very partisan stuff.
    monstermag wrote: »
    I'm surprised SNL did that skit at all, I know they were mocking Kavanaugh but in doing so were they not softening the whole incident, baring in mind how serious a rape allegation is.
    Pat played a clip of it on his show and seemed to get a kick out of it. Myself l found it distasteful. But because it got the seal of approval from so called liberals it met Pat's standards.

Posts thanked by vladmydad......

Makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Posts thanked by vladmydad......

Makes sense.

Would you care to elaborate

Alright, no carping please lads.

Lets stick to discussing PK and the show's content.

I'd say he's uber pissed off with today's events and Kavanaugh's endorsement. Expect another ott rant next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Accidentally actually heard a bit of the show on late-night repeat. PK, in the words of his reporter, "gobsmacked" that breast-feeding women couldn't be told to put themselves away. Lots of awkward pauses while The Plank cast around for deniable ways to splutter his outrage. Or maybe he was just deliberately leaving pauses for the Newstalk demographic to supply their own?

"Political correctness", he was heard to mutter at one point, presumably mentally reserving the traditional coda "gone mad".

Seemed more like a clarifying caveat to me. Spelling it "inciteful" makes it unclear if you were seeking to suggest something connected with "incitement/-ing", which would have been an entirely different meaning.

(Though an equally odd one.)

Not a whisper of Kavanaugh or Trump this morning. Kenny is sulking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

mattser wrote:

Perhaps reflecting a Trump fatigue at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

mattser wrote: »

It's probably a conflict in Pat's mind between his dislike for Trump's victory in this saga and his dislike for the MeToo crowd who suffered a setback. In football terms the whole thing was a score draw.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It's probably a conflict in Pat's mind between his dislike for Trump's victory in this saga and his dislike for the MeToo crowd who suffered a setback. In football terms the whole thing was a score draw.

Or if it's American football, we're waiting for the period of overtime, in the form of the midterm elections...

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »

Say it's more likely it will be discussed tomorrow or later in the week.

Advertisement