Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Scott Lucas of the University of Birmingham sure does not like Trump or the Republicans. Himself and Pat have a good old competitive whinge as to how bad Trump is.
    Don't see the point of constantly interviewing someone who has an even more severe case of Trump Derangement Syndrome than Pat. It almost puts Matt Cooper and Marion McKeown in the shade.
    Surely some debate would be a good idea instead of further proof of the almost universal partisanship of the Irish media.
    Seems they are not a media but a medium for furthering propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

quintana76 wrote: »
    Scott Lucas of the University of Birmingham sure does not like Trump or the Republicans. Himself and Pat have a good old competitive whinge as to how bad Trump is.
    Don't see the point of constantly interviewing someone who has an even more severe case of Trump Derangement Syndrome than Pat. It almost puts Matt Cooper and Marion McKeown in the shade.
    Surely some debate would be a good idea instead of further proof of the almost universal partisanship of the Irish media.

Most compassionate, thoughtful people are concerned with the behavior of Trump and his administration.
    There are people who agree with said behaviours but they seem to be less thoughtful and compassionate in the interests of society. I would argue that most of the Pat Kenny listnership are of the former personality than the latter. Pat certainly is which I don't have a problem with. There are other media personalities who lean somewhat more in the other direction.

Michael Graham is the most frequent contributor to George Hook's show and he is of a conservative leaning. Do you get frustrated that he gets to contribute without being directly debated?

Whatever about Irish Media leaning in one direction, they are in the hapenny place when it comes to taking sides when you look at the likes of Fox News and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Most compassionate, thoughtful people are concerned with the behavior of Trump and his administration.
    There are people who agree with said behaviours but they seem to be less thoughtful and compassionate in the interests of society. I would argue that most of the Pat Kenny listnership are of the former personality than the latter. Pat certainly is which I don't have a problem with. There are other media personalities who lean somewhat more in the other direction.

Michael Graham is the most frequent contributor to George Hook's show and he is of a conservative leaning. Do you get frustrated that he gets to contribute without being directly debated?

Whatever about Irish Media leaning in one direction, they are in the hapenny place when it comes to taking sides when you look at the likes of Fox News and so on.

All right thinking people basically.
    Trump supporters are being lied to and taken for a ride by an industrialist that has done nothing except award himself and his buddies tax breaks.
    Anybody that supports him is either racist,stupid,both.

kneemos wrote: »
    All right thinking people basically.
    Trump supporters are being lied to and taken for a ride by an industrialist that has done nothing except award himself and his buddies tax breaks.
    Anybody that supports him is either racist,stupid,both.

Well, you might think that, and I might think that, but I suspect that others such as some posters on this thread who think that Trump gets a hard time also believe that they are right thinking.

I do not entirely disagree with them in terms of the need for debate because simply, the Trump train is rolling on. It hasn't been enough to say that this man shouldn't get the nomination, shouldn't be elected, shouldn't be able to nominate a man accused of sexual assault to the supreme court, because all these things have happened.

I would like them invited to debate as much as possible if only to show that their arguments hold no water. How can they defend increasing mining production in the US when considered with the critical content within the UN report on the risks of climate change published yesterday for example. How can they say that Brett Kavanaugh has been exonerated when that is plainly not the case as another one.

I believe that a great many right wing advocates don't want to be debated as they expect they will be found out as to their true motivations and also, it will remove their capacity to claim that they are being silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Whatever about Irish Media leaning in one direction, they are in the hapenny place when it comes to taking sides when you look at the likes

"Compassionate" "Thoughtful" "Right thinking". You anti-Trumpists have a very high opinion of yourselves.
    Didn't see many examples of those qualities in the witch-hunt against Judge Kavanaugh.
    "Right thinking" is a term used by the Spanish Inquisition and the Witchfinder General to justify persecution of the heretics who held different opinions. "Wrong thinking" being the fatal crime.

Michael Graham is hardly heard anymore after George Hook was denounced and sent into purdah by the "Right thinkers".
    The Irish media dutifully follows the line of the Democrat Party. They are are an arm of it. They are as biased as CNN which these days puts Fox News in 'the hapenny place'.

• Advertisement

Whatever about Irish Media leaning in one direction, they are in the hapenny place when it comes to taking sides when you look at the likes

"Compassionate" "Thoughtful" "Right thinking". You anti-Trumpists have a very high opinion of yourselves.
    Didn't see many examples of those qualities in the witch-hunt against Judge Kavanaugh.
    "Right thinking" is a term used by the Spanish Inquisition and the Witchfinder General to justify persecution of the heretics who held different opinions. "Wrong thinking" being the fatal crime.

Michael Graham is hardly heard anymore after George Hook was denounced and sent into purdah by the "Right thinkers".
    The Irish media dutifully follows the line of the Democrat Party. They are are an arm of it. They are as biased as CNN which these days puts Fox News in 'the hapenny place'.

Seriously? That's the best you can come up with?

You decry the fact that right wing advocates don't get an opportunity to put forward their case and this is what you offer?

I'm not surprised. It reads like Donald himself could have written it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's not having a high opinion of oneself to think you're more compassionate and a more critical thinker than the MAGA Trump crowd. It's an incredibly low bar which is SOMEHOW sinking as the administration goes on.

I mean, if you take me, and take a man who's sucked off forty dogs and had a hands free orgasm each and every time, do you know what, I think I'm confident in saying I'm probably less of a sexual deviant. Really doesn't mean I think I'm just amazing.

People from outside the US have concrete reasons for disliking Trump. He's having a direct influence on things which ACTUALLY affect us, the environment, international trade, Russia's ability to influence things, his attack dog doing a Nativist rabble rousing tour of Europe.

What possible fcuking reason does someone living in Ireland have to think the man is great, what has he done for you? Why are ye going on about partisan media and propagandising, bitching about broadcasters in a socially liberal country having a strong opinion on a man whose only skill is eliciting that degree of reaction? Because he lawl makes the lib cucks cry salty soy boy tears and triggers the feminazis? Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

What possible fcuking reason does someone living in Ireland have to think the man is great, what has he done for you? Why are ye going on about partisan media and propagandising, bitching about broadcasters in a socially liberal country having a strong opinion on a man whose only skill is eliciting that degree of reaction? Because he lawl makes the lib cucks cry salty soy boy tears and triggers the feminazis? Jesus.

Magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

It's not having a high opinion of oneself to think you're more compassionate and a more critical thinker than the MAGA Trump crowd. It's an incredibly low bar which is SOMEHOW sinking as the administration goes on.

I mean, if you take me, and take a man who's sucked off forty dogs and had a hands free orgasm each and every time, do you know what, I think I'm confident in saying I'm probably less of a sexual deviant. Really doesn't mean I think I'm just amazing.

People from outside the US have concrete reasons for disliking Trump. He's having a direct influence on things which ACTUALLY affect us, the environment, international trade, Russia's ability to influence things, his attack dog doing a Nativist rabble rousing tour of Europe.

Talk about losing the rag. Even PK would be shocked with that pathetic tirade. And people talk about DT being crude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Just a bit of locker room talk hun, calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Michael Graham is a failed radio presenter in the US. The only reason he is on the airways here is because he is George Hook's mate.

What Republican's laughably refer to as "the left" would encompass the entire Irish political system. That the Irish media reflects the gulf between the GOP these days and our own political norms is hardly surprising.

Something called critical thinking means you don't have to read ten newspapers every morning and PK doesn't have to give several different viewpoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

By all means advocate the inclusion of more Trump supporters on the programme (maybe that Prof. from Maynooth) but I can see any reason to object to Scott Lucas.
    He's informed and interesting and his interpretation of events is usually perceptive.
    Has he made any errors of fact? Can you identify any?
    This morning he explained that Kavanaugh was not declared innoocent by the FBI - despite Trump's pronouncement. The (much restricted) investigation was inconclusive. Do you think that statement is incorrect?

On the Kavanaugh hearing:
    Even if the allegations of three women is overlooked, I think K's partisan performance and his lies at the hearing should have ruled him out of contention. K is still a political operator and a SCJ is expected to have some sense of impartiality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Being rightwing and a decent person are completely incompatible.

The Rent Tax Credit should have been reintroduced at least in Dublin. Nothing in the budget at all for workers and renters.

That's a very broad statement and one which doesn't take in to account either the nuances of political ideology or the depth of human motivations and behaviours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What a clueless statement

VinLieger wrote: »

What a clueless statement

Well name me some right wing types that show compassion for all people regardless of their race, gender or sexuality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It's perfectly legitimate to hold right wing views. Your comment is bizarre and encapsulates the pious self righteous attitude of the left.

It's perfectly legitimate to hold right wing views. Your comment is bizarre and encapsulates the pious self righteous attitude of the left.

It may be legitimate but how many truly caring and compassionate people are rightwing?

• Advertisement

SOME of the left.

That is my point. The extremes on both sides think that all of the other side behave as bad as the worst. That is never the case.

And I consider myself definitely well left of centre but also with an awareness of the motivations of the right.

The Rent Tax Credit should have been reintroduced at least in Dublin. Nothing in the budget at all for workers and renters.

It is very frustrating to see empty houses, and businesses outside of the cities in Ireland while people have such difficulty with rent in the cities. And I do sympathise with those struggling to pay rent in Dublin at the moment.

We are creating a self-repeating issue with the focus of housing within Dublin. We will eventually get enough houses, then there will be an economic downturn and there will be calls for more employment in the region because of the numbers out of work. We will attract more business through grants and incentives and then when the economy swings upward again, we will be back to needed more employees in these companies thus creating a housing crisis once more. All while the rest of the country continues to empty and stagnate.

I would love to see a government actively try to promote decentralisation while still allowing Dublin to become a capital we are proud of.

Im liberal btw not left wing, I hate extremes.

Well name me some right wing types that show compassion for all people regardless of their race, gender or sexuality?

Define right wing please.

I think if you had 100 people in a room they would all have a slightly different opnion on what it means.

Example I would consider the pope to be right wing due to his traditional religious conservative beliefs and yet I would also say he definitely does have compassion for all people regardless of race, gender or sexuality.

Your other problem with this blinkered definition you are trying to use is the word compassion. You can have compassion for people but do not necessarily have to agree with those people. IE the pope would be compassionate towards homosexuals however he would not 100% support their way of life.

Im liberal btw not left wing, I hate extremes.

And to someone on even a right lean describing yourself as a "liberal" might make you an extreme by THEIR definition.

You claim to hate extremes but then say things like this?

Thats a pretty extreme view

Id define right wing as the major religions viewon women and sexuality plus people who discriminate against those based on race, gender and sexuality. Eg anyone who votes for Trump etc

Id define right wing as the major religions viewon women and sexuality plus people who discriminate against those based on race, gender and sexuality. Eg anyone who votes for Trump etc

No offense but you need to educate yourself in terms of political ideology.

You're mixing up all types of biases here.

No offense but you need to educate yourself in terms of political ideology.

You're mixing up all types of biases here.

You define right wing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RiseitekiMind

Reality has a Liberal bias, there is nothing legitimate about right ideas.

• Advertisement

Definition of left/right is variable depending on where you live shirly?

Advertisement