Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Stoolcup wrote: »
    I have a question for you: Do you think Pat Kenny would ever have called Barack Obama a liar on air?

If Barack lied as frequently as Trump then he most certainly would have.
    All politicians and leaders are economical with the truth at times and phrase everything in a subjective manner to reflect them in the best possible light.
    We don't like it, but it's common and somewhat understandable.

But Trump is saying things which he categorically knows not to be true and he does not care that people can spot that. And the sheer mountain of times he has done so makes it accurate to call him a liar. On one day in September, he apparently lied 83 times. That is he said 83 things "on tape/camera" which were proven to be untrue.

I have no idea how people can see this and think that he still has their best interests at heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

American politics and in particular the POTUS affects us all. It isn't a matter for debate. The most powerful economy, military force on Earth. You are changing the goal posts now to say that the daily trials and tribulations may not impact on Ireland or Irish people. That is clear but it is not what you said initially or what I said in resposne.

I accept policy decisions that may affect the American economy could have an impact on the Irish economy and I understand the often disastrous influence of the US military in the Middle East and South America, but none of them justify the daily analysis and comment from the Irish media.

The vast majority of stories on Trump are trivial and irrelevant to us. It isn't a matter of debate.

We'll get ample coverage from the Mid Terms now and we'll be told how important they are. And some here will fall for it. I can't imagine the local elections here next year receiving much attention from US media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

If Barack lied as frequently as Trump then he most certainly would have.
    All politicians and leaders are economical with the truth at times and phrase everything in a subjective manner to reflect them in the best possible light.
    We don't like it, but it's common and somewhat understandable.

But Trump is saying things which he categorically knows not to be true and he does not care that people can spot that. And the sheer mountain of times he has done so makes it accurate to call him a liar. On one day in September, he apparently lied 83 times. That is he said 83 things "on tape/camera" which were proven to be untrue.

I have no idea how people can see this and think that he still has their best interests at heart.

I couldn't care less about Trump - and find the obsession with him tedious to the extreme. I would suggest you are extremely naive to think they would dish out the same treatment to Obama. You don't seem to realise that the Irish media are cheerleaders for the Democratic Party - just like Breitbart (a cesspit) is a cheerleader for Trump. How many times did Kenny criticise Obama for his indiscriminate targeting of poor Pakastani villagers through his drone campaign?

I accept policy decisions that may affect the American economy could have an impact on the Irish economy and I understand the often disastrous influence of the US military in the Middle East and South America, but none of them justify the daily analysis and comment from the Irish media.

The vast majority of stories on Trump are trivial and irrelevant to us. It isn't a matter of debate.

We'll get ample coverage from the Mid Terms now and we'll be told how important they are. And some here will fall for it. I can't imagine the local elections here next year receiving much attention from US media.

They do justify it because there is a market for that interest in Ireland. However it originated, maybe cause of the amount of relations who left Ireland and went there. Everyone working in MNC's pays at least a passing interest in to conversation around the American economy and tax structure because of potential impact on their parent company in the states.

We've heard the phrase for years that when America sneezes, Ireland gets a cold. We are closely linked.

Our Population is about 2.5% the size of theirs, they might not know about our local elections here, but they certainly remember St Patricks day every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Didn't hear the programme but wouldn't be surprised if Kenny did call Trump a liar. It would be in keeping with Tubridy's treatment of Peter Casey and a media bias something which is becoming commonplace. His Masters Voice springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Trump says negative things about Journalists, he doesn't pander to their demands, they cannot control him, therefore they will round up together and give him their worst.

Happens in all lines of journalism. Look at what happened with the Saudi embassy and the Journalist. If that were some sort of political activist that were killed, the story would be dead by now. It would barely have been picked up by our media outlets. Do it to a journalist and they'll lose their ****.

Same with sport. Look at Mourinho, calls out Journalists, gets labelled as deranged.

Newstalk and INM won't dare have anti-journalists types

The enemy of the people.

I couldn't care less about Trump - and find the obsession with him tedious to the extreme. I would suggest you are extremely naive to think they would dish out the same treatment to Obama. You don't seem to realise that the Irish media are cheerleaders for the Democratic Party - just like Breitbart (a cesspit) is a cheerleader for Trump. How many times did Kenny criticise Obama for his indiscriminate targeting of poor Pakastani villagers through his drone campaign?

You and I have different opinions. C'est la vie. I am quite happy with the logic behind mine.

Spare me the sympathy act for Pakastani villagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Didn't hear the programme but wouldn't be surprised if Kenny did call Trump a liar.

Trump is a liar, there's no debating that, US media run a daily lie tally.
    The enemy of the people.

Step away from the internet Richard.

Didn't hear the programme but wouldn't be surprised if Kenny did call Trump a liar. It would be in keeping with Tubridy's treatment of Peter Casey and a media bias something which is becoming commonplace. His Masters Voice springs to mind.

Here we go. Media bias.

Empty vessels make most noise and the ones at fault are those that point this out.

You and I have different opinions. C'est la vie. I am quite happy with the logic behind mine.

Spare me the sympathy act for Pakastani villagers.

Why? I believe it's wrong to indiscriminately target civilians - whether Trump is doing the ordering or Saint Obama. Now, care to answer my question? How many times did Kenny call out Obama on his indiscriminate drone campaign?

• Advertisement

Here we go. Media bias.

Empty vessels make most noise and the ones at fault are those that point this out.

You don't think there is a media bias against Trump?? What world are you living in?

Trump says negative things about Journalists, he doesn't pander to their demands, they cannot control him, therefore they will round up together and give him their worst.

Happens in all lines of journalism. Look at what happened with the Saudi embassy and the Journalist. If that were some sort of political activist that were killed, the story would be dead by now. It would barely have been picked up by our media outlets. Do it to a journalist and they'll lose their ****.

Same with sport. Look at Mourinho, calls out Journalists, gets labelled as deranged.

Newstalk and INM won't dare have anti-journalists types

The enemy of the people.

Did someone just send out a Klaxon call for a Trump rally?

I like your independent thought on this. Very original.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Trump is a liar, there's no debating that, US media run a daily lie tally.

Step away from the internet Richard.

A politician lying? My god.

You don't think there is a media bias against Trump?? What world are you living in?

What I am suggesting is that Trump is responsible for the media coverage which he gets through his words and actions.

Is that so complicated to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They do justify it because there is a market for that interest in Ireland. However it originated, maybe cause of the amount of relations who left Ireland and went there. Everyone working in MNC's pays at least a passing interest in to conversation around the American economy and tax structure because of potential impact on their parent company in the states.

We've heard the phrase for years that when America sneezes, Ireland gets a cold. We are closely linked.

Our Population is about 2.5% the size of theirs, they might not know about our local elections here, but they certainly remember St Patricks day every year.

Oh yes there is a big market for it because they believe America is important. The media has convinced us that stories from America are important over stories from other parts of the world, and it looks like you've fallen for it. Bad weather in the States makes the news here!

The St. Patrick's Day thing is a common myth. Most Americans do not know about St. Patrick's Day and many don't even know much about at all about Ireland. People here think the New York parade is great. New York has a parade almost every week! The obsession with America is not reciprocated I'm afraid.

A politician lying? My god.

You're confused, why do you have issues then when one is called one?

You're confused, why do you have issues then when one is called one?

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy, Mr Hurrache. I'm not batting for any team. I don't like Trump and wouldn't vote for him. What I can't stand is blatant bias - which the Irish media is guilty of.

Oh yes there is a big market for it because they believe America is important. The media has convinced us that stories from America are important over stories from other parts of the world, and it looks like you've fallen for it. Bad weather in the States makes the news here!

As I said to your buddy Stoolcup

There's 40,000 (it seems) threads on boards about Trump. I'm not taking part in turning this in to another one.

I'm going for lunch. Ciao.

What I am suggesting is that Trump is responsible for the media coverage which he gets through his words and actions.

Is that so complicated to understand?

I never said he wasn't. The point I'm making - which you seem to be missing - is that the media would not scrutinize a Democrat anywhere near to the same extent. It's called media bias.

I never said he wasn't. The point I'm making - which you seem to be missing - is that the media would not scrutinize a Democrat anywhere near to the same extent. It's called media bias.

Last point. If a Democrat president behaved as Trump did and does, I fully believe that Pat Kenny would judge him in the same way. There is no evidence to suggest that he wouldn't.

I'm out.

• Advertisement

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy, Mr Hurrache. I'm not batting for any team. I don't like Trump and wouldn't vote for him. What I can't stand is blatant bias - which the Irish media is guilty of.

What you're engaging in is whataboutery.

What you're engaging in is whataboutery.

Yes, I am aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

SexBobomb wrote:
    I wouldn't consider myself a Trump fan, but neither do I see him as the Anti-Christ. I guess I'm just tired of hearing the Trump opinion pieces.

I just laugh a lot at American politics and Trump.

Some people here just take it too seriously when it doesn't even affect them.

Climate change and wars dont affect us? Bizzare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Obama was a far from perfect president, a remarkably ineffective one in fact compared to his potential. He made mistakes, he did bad things. The escalation of drone attacks, the failure of the democratic party to leverage his presidency into majorities of the houses. These were discussed, critically, in Irish media. I've not much more than a passing interest in American politics really, and just by passive consumption of mainstream Irish media like newstalk and the Irish Times I heard plenty criticism of him. Flat out lie to say that didn't happen.

Obama wasn't regularly called a liar and a fascist because he didn't daily say things which were easily shown to be the actual opposite of the truth rather than a spin on things, and he didn't court the approval of white supremacists and actual fascists. He didn't get into twitter arguments with random, teenage, private citizens, he didn't casually undo international agreements that took years of work from hundreds of people, he didn't have a history of dozens of sexual misconduct allegations over decades, there was no controversy over his taxes, he managed to get through most sentences pronouncing and using every word correctly.

He was criticised for the things he actually did, not the things Donald Trump had not yet done, which were a great many more and worse. That's not bias.

It's like there's two groups of lads walking toward the doors of a club from opposite directions, one group is walking regularly, speaking at a normal volume, smiling, obviously had a few drinks but not locked. The other group is staggering, slurring their words, shouting at passers by, knocking over bins and live streaming the whole thing. They get to the doors, the bouncers speak to the first group, let them in, turn to the second and say no, you're too drunk and disorderly and the second group starts shouting "THEY'VE HAD A DRINK TOO! YOU DIDN'T TELL THEM THEY WERE TOO DRUNK! YOU'RE BIASED AGAINST US!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Obama was a far from perfect president, a remarkably ineffective one in fact compared to his potential. He made mistakes, he did bad things. The escalation of drone attacks, the failure of the democratic party to leverage his presidency into majorities of the houses. These were discussed, critically, in Irish media. I've not much more than a passing interest in American politics really, and just by passive consumption of mainstream Irish media like newstalk and the Irish Times I heard plenty criticism of him. Flat out lie to say that didn't happen.

Obama wasn't regularly called a liar and a fascist because he didn't daily say things which were easily shown to be the actual opposite of the truth rather than a spin on things, and he didn't court the approval of white supremacists and actual fascists. He didn't get into twitter arguments with random, teenage, private citizens, he didn't casually undo international agreements that took years of work from hundreds of people, he didn't have a history of dozens of sexual misconduct allegations over decades, there was no controversy over his taxes, he managed to get through most sentences pronouncing and using every word correctly.

He was criticised for the things he actually did, not the things Donald Trump had not yet done, which were a great many more and worse. That's not bias.

It's like there's two groups of lads walking toward the doors of a club from opposite directions, one group is walking regularly, speaking at a normal volume, smiling, obviously had a few drinks but not locked. The other group is staggering, slurring their words, shouting at passers by, knocking over bins and live streaming the whole thing. They get to the doors, the bouncers speak to the first group, let them in, turn to the second and say no, you're too drunk and disorderly and the second group starts shouting "THEY'VE HAD A DRINK TOO! YOU DIDN'T TELL THEM THEY WERE TOO DRUNK! YOU'RE BIASED AGAINST US!!!!"

Brilliantly explained ... even the guy at the back of the class picking his nose should be able to understand now. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Climate change and wars dont affect us? Bizzare.

Absolutely they do, I would love if we put as much effort and airtime into our own emissions reductions targets as we do into tut-tutting America's climate policies.

Right, so Trump lying? Outrage from media figures, particularly Pat Kenny and Matt Mangina.. When Obama is implementing a policy of indiscriminate bombing on innocent villagers? Silence. I don't remember any of them criticizing him. What would the reaction be of Trump had presided over Saint Obama's drone campaign? Is telling fibs (something politicians never do...) much worse than killing poor villagers? If you and others don't think there is a huge bias towards the Democrats in the Irish media then I don't know what to say. It baffles me that people can be so blinkered by tribal nonsense to not admit what is staring them in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Right, so Trump lying? Outrage from media figures, particularly Pat Kenny and Matt Mangina.. When Obama is implementing a policy of indiscriminate bombing on innocent villagers? Silence. I don't remember any of them criticizing him.

Then you weren't listening.
    Is telling fibs (something politicians never do...) much worse than killing poor villagers? If you and others don't think there is a huge bias towards the Democrats in the Irish media then I don't know what to say. It baffles me that people can be so blinkered by tribal nonsense to not admit what is staring them in the face.

The telling of fibs is not worse, and that's not an argument anyone has made. If people were criticising Trump every day for indiscriminate drone attacks on civilians, you'd have a point, but they're not, it's all the other stuff. The cumulative shítshow of his administration so far, including lies, flip flopping, family separation policy, his attitude to other heads of states (not taking no shít no more from Europe, Canada, Australia, but wouldn't it be niiiice if the US could be freeeends with Russia, Iran, North fcuking Korea), his racist dog whistles (just plain whistles by now in fairness), are very very much worse for Western democracy, and that's what he's being criticised for.

Ireland is a fairly socially liberal society, practically socialist by US terms. The democratic party has always aligned more closely with the values of Irish people as a whole. It's close to a complete shambles of a party atm from what I can see, but it's still closer in ethos to Irish people than the Republican party. If Trump were a Republican and carrying on the exact same way as he is now, do you honestly think Kenny et al would just ignore it? Because that's what an actual bias towards the Democratic party would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Right, so Trump lying? Outrage from media figures, particularly Pat Kenny and Matt Mangina.. When Obama is implementing a policy of indiscriminate bombing on innocent villagers? Silence. I don't remember any of them criticizing him. What would the reaction be of Trump had presided over Saint Obama's drone campaign? Is telling fibs (something politicians never do...) much worse than killing poor villagers? If you and others don't think there is a huge bias towards the Democrats in the Irish media then I don't know what to say. It baffles me that people can be so blinkered by tribal nonsense to not admit what is staring them in the face.

There was persistent criticism of Obama's extension of the drone and ground war campaigns. Don't you recall the frequent comments about the irony of Obama winning the Peace Prize? I recall Jermy Scahill's documentary "Dirty Wars".
    Unfortunately these criticisms weren't featured prominently enough in main stream media but then I think the same can be said of reporting these days. Only recently has the Yemen crisis and the US/UK complicity become top of the news agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Last point. If a Democrat president behaved as Trump did and does, I fully believe that Pat Kenny would judge him in the same way. There is no evidence to suggest that he wouldn't.

I'm out.

So you think if Hilary had been elected, Pat Kenny would have got a resident Republican academic as his go to for an "objective" opinion on American Politics?

Advertisement