Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I think anyone who screams about Pat being biased

Pat discussed this issue of bias regarding Trump with someone from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland a couple of months ago. There is no onus on him to not express his opinion on Trump, or to be balanced in his coverage in a way he would have to be in a small number of contentious domestic issues like elections, referendums..etc. In his opinion Trump is a cretin.

Pat went on to say that his way of balancing things up is by reading out the pro-Trump texts. The vast majority of texts the station gets whenever Trump comes up are overwhelmingly anti-Trump, and he did stress "vast", but his team cherry picks the pro-Trump ones for him to read out. I think this is a nonsense. He should read them out in some proportion of how they come in. Not doing so gives completely the wrong impression and only encourages the feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

He addressed his reasons for not liking Trump a couple of days ago and it was hard to argue with most of what he said.

He always reads texts which criticise him and are pro Trump. Can't think of anyone else who does that.

He always reads texts which criticise him and are pro Trump.

Yes, but he reads out predominantly the pro-Trump texts and ignores the anti-Trump ones. Which gives the impression the support for Trump is far greater than it actually is, whereas in fact the number of anti-Trump texts are the vast majority. This is not just me saying this is what is happening, he said it himself.

I'm not so sure about that. He definitely reads anti-Trump texts too. If as he says the majority are negative it does give a skewed view on things but I commend him for giving the other side anyway.

Glad he is hanging around another couple of years. They'll be lost when he's gone.

Glad he is hanging around another couple of years. They'll be lost when he's gone.

I'm not disagreeing with that. He said to balance his and the contributors views on Trump he cherry picking the pro-trump out of the overwhelming negative ones. I just don't think this is the right approach. He should read them out in the proportion that they come in. Not doing so creates the wrong impression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

Ahwell wrote: »
    Pat discussed this issue of bias regarding Trump with someone from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland a couple of months ago. There is no onus on him to not express his opinion on Trump, or to be balanced in his coverage in a way he would have to be in a small number of contentious domestic issues like elections, referendums..etc. In his opinion Trump is a cretin.

Pat went on to say that his way of balancing things up is by reading out the pro-Trump texts. The vast majority of texts the station gets whenever Trump comes up are overwhelmingly anti-Trump, and he did stress "vast", but his team cherry picks the pro-Trump ones for him to read out. I think this is a nonsense. He should read them out in some proportion of how they come in. Not doing so gives completely the wrong impression and only encourages the feckers.

So he admits to being biased. Why, then, do people keep denying he is whenever a poster says it.

Stoolcup wrote: »
    So he admits to being biased. Why, then, do people keep denying he is whenever a poster says it.

I haven't. There is no onus on him to be balanced. Newstalk wants opinion-led radio. They want him to give his opinion and that is what he is doing.

I haven't. There is no onus on him to be balanced. Newstalk wants opinion-led radio. They want him to give his opinion and that is what he is doing.

Yes, but certain individuals on this forum claim he is balanced.

I'm not disagreeing with that. He said to balance his and the contributors views on Trump he cherry picking the pro-trump out of the overwhelming negative ones. I just don't think this is the right approach. He should read them out in the proportion that they come in. Not doing so creates the wrong impression.

Oh I wasn't suggesting you were (point about him staying).

I kind of agree with you to be honest. Other than Katie Hopkins a few months ago today was the first time I can recall him having a pro Trump voice on. The guy sounded like a complete fool but that's not Pat's fault.

They should probably get a more balanced mix of commentators but if we take him on his word that the overwhelming responses are anti Trump that's probably not what people want to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Right, so Trump lying? Outrage from media figures, particularly Pat Kenny and Matt Mangina.. When Obama is implementing a policy of indiscriminate bombing on innocent villagers? Silence. I don't remember any of them criticizing him. What would the reaction be of Trump had presided over Saint Obama's drone campaign? Is telling fibs (something politicians never do...) much worse than killing poor villagers? If you and others don't think there is a huge bias towards the Democrats in the Irish media then I don't know what to say. It baffles me that people can be so blinkered by tribal nonsense to not admit what is staring them in the face.

We heard loads about drones while Obama was in office.

Since Trump has been in office, the use of drones has been significantly expanded and intensified.

Yet what have we heard about it?

Not much, clearly, especially given that you appear to be completely unaware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I think anyone who screams about Pat being biased and doesn't give the opportunity for conservatives to speak should listen to this debate. It was incredible. The absolute conviction of Jim Rickards about how good Trump is and for the need of guns to prevent the government coming for all its people is mind-boggling.

Was it conviction? To me it sounded like the most trangulated posturing imaginable.

'There is nothing in the Russian investigation' - has had zero sight of anything related to it. I mean this is the equivalent of someone saying Mueller is about to behead Trump in the public square.

'Trump University isn't a fraud'... they just paid out millions of dollars in a settlement for the ****s and giggles...

'they're good business people'... multiple bankruptcies ignored... multiple business closures...

'New York real estate is a dirty business'... yeah thats part of the reason people are concerned... not a defence.

But to Pat's credit, much like with Dame Currie, he showed why he has been (i'd argue at least) the premier current affairs broadcaster of our time.

Certainly I couldn't tolerate that level of gaslighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

Oh I wasn't suggesting you were (point about him staying).

I kind of agree with you to be honest. Other than Katie Hopkins a few months ago today was the first time I can recall him having a pro Trump voice on. The guy sounded like a complete fool but that's not Pat's fault.

They should probably get a more balanced mix of commentators but if we take him on his word that the overwhelming responses are anti Trump that's probably not what people want to listen to.

“We’re all on the same page here” said a guest on The Pat Kenny Show (Newstalk) last Friday morning. The subject was the re-election of Michael D. Higgins as President (they approved), but regardless of the topic this just about summed up a recurring media problem – the bubble, the groupthink, the echo chamber, the cocoon.

Excellent review of his show below. It's fascinating to see how journalists are beginning to call out the bias of the media.

https://www.irishcatholic.com/limp-interviews-with-those-in-the-bubble/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

hawley wrote: »
    “We’re all on the same page here” said a guest on The Pat Kenny Show (Newstalk) last Friday morning. The subject was the re-election of Michael D. Higgins as President (they approved), but regardless of the topic this just about summed up a recurring media problem – the bubble, the groupthink, the echo chamber, the cocoon.

Excellent review of his show below. It's fascinating to see how journalists are beginning to call out the bias of the media.

https://www.irishcatholic.com/limp-interviews-with-those-in-the-bubble/

Let me paraphrase for you.

"I'm going to complain about biased media and to support my complaint I am going to submit an article from someone in the media and I am going to completely fail to see the irony in this but at least it saves me from objective analysis"

Straight from the Donald Trump "All News is fake apart from Fox News" playbook of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

Let me paraphrase for you.

"I'm going to complain about biased media and to support my complaint I am going to submit an article from someone in the media and I am going to completely fail to see the irony in this but at least it saves me from objective analysis"

Straight from the Donald Trump "All News is fake apart from Fox News" playbook of nonsense.

Person who defends Newstalk at every turn and mocks anyone who has a different opinion, fails to see the irony of saying that a cited article is biased.

hawley wrote: »
    Person who defends Newstalk at every turn and mocks anyone who has a different opinion, fails to see the irony of saying that a cited article is biased.

Yawn. Again.

I love objective discussion. I have never made a claim that I'm not willing to offer my evidence as to why it holds weight. Some can't or don't want to defend their claims and get offended when this is pointed out to them.

I'm trying to be ok with that. It's the world we live in now.

Yawn. Again.

I love objective discussion. I have never made a claim that I'm not willing to offer my evidence as to why it holds weight. Some can't or don't want to defend their claims and get offended when this is pointed out to them.

I'm trying to be ok with that. It's the world we live in now.

Why do you listen to Newstalk then?

Why do you listen to Newstalk then?

Rinse and repeat
    Yawn. Again.

Well done, Trump. Giving plenty of resources to fight the wild fires.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He's a president of a 21st century federal state not a lord of a 14th century fiefdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

humberklog wrote: »
    He's a president of a 21st century federal state not a lord of a 14th century fiefdom.
    Do you not know that "Dear Leader" has to be praised 24/7?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

After initially blaming the fires on forest mismanagement rather than the fact California is going’s through a massive drought through no fault of their own.

He also threatened to pull funding.

So yeah, good man Trump for doing what he should be doing but not before whinging about it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,930 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ryan Tubridy being interviewed on Newstalk, about RTE show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

No interest in car racing but shes a very entertaining interviewee.

Who :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

This f**king chancer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This f**king chancer again.

Who? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Who? :confused::confused:

Mark Daly.

Mark Daly.
    Who :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I found it intriguing that, apparently, her Da taught her to drive in slippery fields from the age of 11, but at age 13 when she had to drive her mother to hospital, she didn't know how to get the car out of first and kept crashing into walls...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I found it intriguing that, apparently, her Da taught her to drive in slippery fields from the age of 11, but at age 13 when she had to drive her mother to hospital, she didn't know how to get the car out of first and kept crashing into walls...

At 11 she was a child driver, (damn good), but at 13 she had already become a woman driver!;)

(P.S. Don't tell Ciara I said that).

Advertisement