Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"Huge amount of landlords charging abnormally low rents" What a bare faced lie!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Healy alert.

Post here when Pats back please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

humberklog wrote: »
    Healy alert.

1ed4b9d2d719571364a79e69147f45ff.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Healy in.....

....I'm out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I was thinking today, has newstalk got any serious contenders to replace Pat should he retire? Even if they outsource to RTE, the talent is of a very poor standard. I'm struggling to think of a decent younger Pat Kenny, more current affairs based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

miketv wrote: »
    I was thinking today, has newstalk got any serious contenders to replace Pat should he retire? Even if they outsource to RTE, the talent is of a very poor standard. I'm struggling to think of a decent younger Pat Kenny, more current affairs based?

I don't think there is a ready made replacement for him not just in Newstalk but in Irish media. Think he is ahead by some distance of most others.

Shane Coleman is quite good in my view but I don't hear the breakfast show regularly.
    Kieran Cuddihy is good at times but very argumentative.
    Jonathan Healy gets slated but I don't find him that bad.

I think Mary Wilson, Rachel English and Sean O'Rourke are very good also but I'd still see Pat in the lead.

Think Pat's strongest asset is that he is quite intelligent and has a good handle on pretty much all topics that come up and to recognize those which he does not have a grasp on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would rate Pat as the best current affairs person on Newstalk and Today FM.

He's far better than Cooper and Yates too.

CatFromHue wrote: »

He's better than Cooper and Yates combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

I don't think there is a ready made replacement for him not just in Newstalk but in Irish media. Think he is ahead by some distance of most others.

Shane Coleman is quite good in my view but I don't hear the breakfast show regularly.
    Kieran Cuddihy is good at times but very argumentative.
    Jonathan Healy gets slated but I don't find him that bad.

I think Mary Wilson, Rachel English and Sean O'Rourke are very good also but I'd still see Pat in the lead.

Think Pat's strongest asset is that he is quite intelligent and has a good handle on pretty much all topics that come up and to recognize those which he does not have a grasp on.

Even when there are times where I disagree with him, find him too self indulgent or a bit faceticious on topics just for the sake of it....IMHO he is one of the most professional and capable broadcasters on the radio, particularly when it comes to current affairs. As you mentioned, he has a broad interest in topics and, while I am sure he has an excellent research team, his attention to detail and level of research that he appears to do himself to make sure that he is well prepared for each programme is what makes me respect him most.

To be fair to the rest, he has a lot of experience at this stage so I suppose comparing him to other younger contenders isn't quite apples with apples. On NT I would say Coleman appears to have a similarly professional approach but doesn't come off as quite as neutral as Kenny is on most issues. I found Chris Donoghue to be very well prepped / researched also, but again, his biases were also more to the forefront. Don't get me wrong, Kenny has his own faults and many hobbyhorses but keeps most of them in check, and somehow has the patience to interview the likes of Edwina Currie, even at her most condescending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

CatFromHue wrote: »

Yates is woeful. Completely unsuited to media work and arrogant as they come.

He fell into media work after he got such a burn from his bookies group going wallop. Then uncle dinny threw him a bone

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Have I got the wrong station on??
    Toy Show crap...with Tubridy!!
    A big fukkin ad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was wondering about that myself, missed the into - what was the justification for pimping the state funded competition?

Also why is Mount Leinster going off air every so often?

After for life after Kenny, there could be someone not on national radio who could do it but I suspect they'll import Matt Cooper myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

miketv wrote: »

Predictably on this thread, Healy alert...

I just wondered what is the age span of the anti Healy cohort? I am older than Kenny, but I appreciate that Healy represents a younger cohort, the segment, it seems to me, that Newstalk targets. Just listen to the ads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Shane Coleman is quite good in my view

Rightwing ranter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

BarryM wrote: »
    Rightwing ranter

Are you sure that's not Marc you're thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rightwing ranter

Shane Coleman is too beige to fit any ideological description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Are you sure that's not Marc you're thinking of?
    I'd say you're right that that is who the poster is thinking of.

Thankfully we don't hear any more from the fella who said that "the boom is getting boomier" - right before the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Rightwing ranter

Lol. Shane Coleman is to the left of Jeremy Corbyn half the time. He's also a massive dry shïte.

I'm 33 and hate Healy. He is a complete failure in everything he has done on NT. Why they give him the fill in slot for such an important show when he doesn't even work for them is a mystery..

It's possible to be well informed on issues like PK is without being a condescending prat about it. It's not so much opinion led radio with the likes of Coleman, Cuddihy and Healy as they can't accept anybody's pov that doesn't mesh with their own.

Lol. Shane Coleman is to the left of Jeremy Corbyn half the time. He's also a massive dry shïte.

I'm 33 and hate Healy. He is a complete failure in everything he has done on NT. Why they give him the fill in slot for such an important show when he doesn't even work for them is a mystery..

It's possible to be well informed on issues like PK is without being a condescending prat about it. It's not so much opinion led radio with the likes of Coleman, Cuddihy and Healy as they can't accept anybody's pov that doesn't mesh with their own.

The mystery is that you don't understand that the fact they keep giving him the slot is proof that he is not a complete failure....

• Advertisement

Love how online now we have those saying NT is just a propaganda station for left wing ideals and simultaneously those saying it's not surprising they are giving some form of a voice to Peter Casey.

As always, people react by hating anything that isn't 100% aligned with their views as being a shill for the opposing side.

Welcome to nuanced debated in 2018.

Rightwing ranter

Shane Coleman. Right Wing Banter?

Really?

Young Pat is back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

They get pissed off because Kenny can't be dismissed as some raving lefty or millenial snowflake. He's a middle-aged, highly experienced and intelligent political broadcaster, a moderate-to-conservative public figure, and he still sees how exceptionally awful Trump is.

Kenny is far from middle-aged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

News feature on now discussing a recent spate of muggings and car break-ins around Clontarf by a teenage gang coming in from another area. All happening in the daytime and the gang have no fear.

A whole 5 minute report and they managed to avoid the elephant in the room...and that folks is Ireland 2018!

jay0109 wrote: »
    News feature on now discussing a recent spate of muggings and car break-ins around Clontarf by a teenage gang coming in from another area. All happening in the daytime and the gang have no fear.

A whole 5 minute report and they managed to avoid the elephant in the room...and that folks is Ireland 2018!

You should go to the Gardai seeing as you have irrefutable evidence about a crime.

I've no evidence but the people in the report did though I doubt you listened to it.

My point as I'm sure you well know but are trying to deflect from, is that when I hear a news item in the media I'd like it to contain all the facts and provide as much info as possible. Not attempt to suppress info because of some liberal agenda

I've no evidence but the people in the report did though I doubt you listened to it.

My point as I'm sure you well know but are trying to deflect from, is that when I hear a news item in the media I'd like it to contain all the facts and provide as much info as possible. Not attempt to suppress info because of some liberal agenda

What is this liberal agenda?

Where does it exist? If it does indeed exist, why do you think it does?

Distract distract distract. Move along

• Advertisement

Distract distract distract. Move along

What I expected.

Tune in tomorrow for more of the same.

Advertisement