Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah I agree, Harry.. It's not like he was running a service that contributes positively for society.. It could be argued that because Celtic Bookmakers closed down, a lot of money is going back in to working class families.

I'd be amazed if every cent not wasted at Celtic hasn't gone to another Bookmaker, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

pc7 wrote: »
    that he earned

How long was he minister for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

mike65 wrote: »
    Well whatever one thinks about Yates handling of his situation, it was done within the law and just listening to him reminds me of what "Breakfast" has been desperately missing.

Porridge ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

He was elected as a Fine Gael Teachta Dála (TD) representing the Wexford constituency at the 1981 general election and at each election until his retirement from politics in 2002.[1] He has also served as Minister for Agriculture, Food and Forestry from 1994 to 1997.

From Wikipedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Skid X wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if every cent not wasted at Celtic hasn't gone to another Bookmaker, to be honest.

I'd lay a tenner that it hasnt.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Meathlass wrote: »
    He was elected as a Fine Gael Teachta Dála (TD) representing the Wexford constituency at the 1981 general election and at each election until his retirement from politics in 2002.[1] He has also served as Minister for Agriculture, Food and Forestry from 1994 to 1997.

From Wikipedia

Does that mean he has 2 pensions then? Hardly on his upper so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Yeah I agree, Harry.. It's not like he was running a service that contributes positively for society.. It could be argued that because Celtic Bookmakers closed down, a lot of money is going back in to working class families.

Yep. Yates used to walk them working class families to his betting shops at gunpoint. As soon as Celtic Betting closed down, they all gave up betting and took up playing chess and ping pong instead.

Pat Kenny and Sean O'Rourke on air at the same time is frustrating ... the two best broadcasters in Ireland, and you can only listen to one.

It's like Ollie Campbell and Tony Ward all over again (one for the kids, there)

Bono gets around!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yates is on a €79,073 pension equivalent to €1520pw for life
    and he is only 54

That is NUTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A quick google indicates Yates gets €74,836 per year in pension payments from his TD and Ministerial roles. That's significantly more than the €3k per month he alluded to on air, but I'm sure he'll cover his ass by saying he was asked about Ministerial pension and not his TD & Ministerial pensions (plural).

Interestingly, he also "earned" €240k in pensions before the age of 50, from his Oireachtas pension.

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

any positive comments about Ivan?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Did Pat just say; Arsebishop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

have to say, really enjoying Pat's show...such a polished show already. Say what you want about his high salary (and I have) but he is one good and solid radio presenter.

I like that he put it to Ivan in a way and didn't give him an easy ride, something I was half expecting seeing as they are NT collegues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Does that mean he has 2 pensions then? Hardly on his upper so

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FIvan_Yates&ei=1GMkUrDNJYOQhQf-oYGwCw&usg=AFQjCNExDVrsELjd7mUQpkTnL_eRpCfFbg

He receives annual pension payments of €74,836 from his time in politics.[3]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yates is on a €79,073 pension equivalent to €1520pw for life
    and he is only 54

That is NUTS

Yeah, kinda sneaky the way he said that his pension was 3000 a month. That's obviously the amount he was allowed live on by the Official Receiver in Wales.

I've always said that ANY public sector pension should be only given to people who dont have another means of income.. It should be means tested..

Wow, boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is madness that a healthy man of 54 years of age is drawing down a pension of €74,000. There is a huge gap emerging between the young and old generations in this country. It is not sustainable but will politicians be able to change the system when a growing proportion of voters are elderly or approaching retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wow, boring.

There's always a live funeral over on Radio 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grellan1

Yawn - changing over to BBC Radio 4 now, yuck, off over to Rte 1..... radio now turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

It is madness that a healthy man of 54 years of age is drawing down a pension of €74,000. There is a huge gap emerging between the young and old generations in this country. It is not sustainable but will politicians be able to change the system when a growing proportion of voters are elderly or approaching retirement.

No more that all the FF pensions they should certainly not be collection a pension 12-13 year earlier than anyone else in the country

The same man "earned" €240k in an Oireachtas pension between the ages of 43 and 50!!!!

How long has this segment gone uninterrupted by ads or news? Pat will need to learn this is commercial radio pretty quickly or Denis wil not be happy!

Edit: cue 10 minute ad break when the archbishop finally stops talking.

Four churches and a prison... Is Hugh Grant starring in that one as well?

Pat sounds about as techie as Joe Duffy there listing the iPad mini and Mac Book Air 13!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

We've had Yates, now Howlin - all we need is Mick Wallace on the show to complete a Wexford Holy Trinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Have they broadened the tax base? Have the "low paid" been brought back into the tax net?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

pc7 wrote: »
    There is a thread in AH about Ivan some knocking him for leaving the country, I have to say fair fecks to him. He'd employed lots of people for years, paid taxes, tried and failed, but at least he tried. Bank tried to screw him big time and make an example of him. Delighted its worked out and he's back.

Hear, hear. Pretty much sums it up really. At face value (because I don't know the full ins and outs of Ivan's situation) it sounds like he tried his hardest to find a solution to pay back as much of what he owed as possible and the banks were being unreasonable bastards. I'm wondering how many of the people that texted in slating him actually listened to him say that his solution of giving them 80c of every euro he earned would have yielded the bank millions more than their bankruptcy charge?

Fair play to him for using legal means to escape this country's draconian bankruptcy laws. Better than the glorious Quinn family who everyone defends who did everything they could to hide assets left-right-and centre.

Absolutely brilliant to hear him back on the radio. Absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder. :pac:

Listened to the first hour and half of the show today. Thought it was solid, if not outstanding. They really could have done without the Bono interview. Was far, far too long.

• Advertisement

The thread is not exactly hopping if that's any reflection of how the show is being perceived.

Advertisement