Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,410 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

People were talking since March that Higgins was likely to re-run.
    Anyone could have chosen to campaign on their own merits irrespective of whether or not he ultimately did run. Their campaigns/runs had nothing to do with him.

I think complaining about him leaving it late is just sour grapes that he walked it.

It’s more that Higgins criticised Mary MCAleese for precisely the same late announcement. I think his lack of candour in dealing with his many hypocritical acts in relation to standing again were dealt with fairly easily due to the non-entities against which he ran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

meeeeh wrote:
    I'm sure not being able to listen to a presenter for 12 weeks per year is comparable to being stuck on a trolley or not being able to access needed medical help during holidays.

The point I'm making is about working conditions and holiday time of workers generally. Pat likes to have a go about things forgetting his own generous contract.

I'm pretty sure he's complained about locals objecting to new estates being built and now he's gone and done it himself.

mattser wrote:
    A bit like Yates having a cut at a lady from Iarnrod Eireann ( or Luas ), just before Christmas. He was sulking that a reduced service on Stephen's Day would curtail his transport to Leopardstown. Necks like the nether regions of those aboard the horses at the self same race meeting.

And Ivan still takes his generous ministerial pension and often champions government cutbacks.

He does have a brass neck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

And Ivan still takes his generous ministerial pension and often champions government cutbacks.

He does have a brass neck !

A parasite giving out about parasites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If Pat wants to leave the comfort of his six figure salary (which is probably ten times the wage of a nurse) & holidays whenever he feels like it then he is free to do so.

Otherwise The Plank can STFU.

Do you look good in a yellow vest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hmm, lets do a similar analysis of Pats salary vs hours worked etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Employ more staff and pay them properly.

We're short 1500 nurses and nurses are emigrating.

If Pat wants to leave the comfort of his six figure salary (which is probably ten times the wage of a nurse) & holidays whenever he feels like it then he is free to do so.

Otherwise The Plank can STFU.

Are we again at the stage that nobody can criticise poor dears who work in healthcare. Ireland has one of the most expensive health systems in Europe which is pretty poorly rated. Something is not working yet the only suggestion again is throw more money at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Put the blame where it belongs. On the Public Sector unions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Put the blame where it belongs. On the Public Sector unions

Public sector unions are weak & powerless.
    They're in the same bed as the politicians, shafting their members.

Never the fault of Official Ireland, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Whoever Pat had on this morning talking about planes and stuff was very impressive. He knew his stuff inside out.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote:
    Are we again at the stage that nobody can criticise poor dears who work in healthcare. Ireland has one of the most expensive health systems in Europe which is pretty poorly rated. Something is not working yet the only suggestion again is throw more money at it.

A full public health service funded through taxation is the solution in my opinion. But there's so much resistance to this in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Trump Trump Trump. Almost 2 years now, and he can't let go. They must have been the longest 2 years of his life, or more likely the laziest two years of his broadcasting career..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

mattser wrote: »
    Trump Trump Trump. Almost 2 years now, and he can't let go. They must have been the longest 2 years of his life, or more likely the laziest two years of his broadcasting career..

A whole 30mins eaten up with it.

I think Pat Kenny is very good presenter but between Trump and some sort of personal misery topic (missing people atm) I just can't listen to him half of the time. And I am anything but Trump fan. He is excellent when he explores something in detail and I wish he would do that more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,930 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Trump Trump Trump talk is rampant in Anglo-spere, Ireland not unique.
    What bothers me more is that Larry Donnelly gets so much airtime on Newstalk, when they could get a more informed US based viewpoint for the same fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think Pat Kenny is very good presenter but between Trump and some sort of personal misery topic (missing people atm) I just can't listen to him half of the time. And I am anything but Trump fan. He is excellent when he explores something in detail and I wish he would do that more.
    Likewise. I like Pat, and he is a true professional (take note Ciara Kelly, Jonathan Healy, etc.) but he does seem to have a blindspot with regards to Trump. I guess it is a feature of the media in general, but the obsession is getting tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,930 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In fairness, he has a 3 hour talkshow to fill 5 days a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Likewise. I like Pat, and he is a true professional (take note Ciara Kelly, Jonathan Healy, etc.) but he does seem to have a blindspot with regards to Trump. I guess it is a feature of the media in general, but the obsession is getting tiresome.

Take that back - you’re not allowed criticise Ciara Kelly in the Radio Forum. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭plodder

zell12 wrote: »
    Trump Trump Trump talk is rampant in Anglo-spere, Ireland not unique.
    What bothers me more is that Larry Donnelly gets so much airtime on Newstalk, when they could get a more informed US based viewpoint for the same fee
    I heard a bit of that and I find Donnelly interesting. PK is good too but I 'd be more interested in what the interviewee has to say as Pat tends to impose his own pov a little too much, to the point of anticipating what the guest is going to say.

A whole 30mins eaten up with it.

Trump is one of the biggest political stories of our time.
    What do you want him to do, ignore it? it is a current affairs show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Trump is one of the biggest political stories of our time.
    What do you want him to do, ignore it? it is a current affairs show.

Here's the Newstalk employee.

Here's the Newstalk employee.

Wrong. Again. As always.

But look, if you don't want your opinions discussed. Don't put them on a public discussion board.

plodder wrote: »
    I heard a bit of that and I find Donnelly interesting. PK is good too but I 'd be more interested in what the interviewee has to say as Pat tends to impose his own pov a little too much, to the point of anticipating what the guest is going to say.

I like Donnelly and I have no issue with Pat's view of Trump, I'm so fed up with Trump nonsense that I just don't care anymore. Considering he addressed the nation last night the coverage was merited but it came after constant coverage of whatever antics he did before and I just have enough. I think I'm going on Trump detox. Nothing of importance will happen till Muller report anyway.

I like Donnelly and I have no issue with Pat's view of Trump, I'm so fed up with Trump nonsense that I just don't care anymore. Considering he addressed the nation last night the coverage was merited but it came after constant coverage of whatever antics he did before and I just have enough. I think I'm going on Trump detox. Nothing of importance will happen till Muller report anyway.

That's why I think attention needs to be on everything which is going on with Trump. I believe that he is an influencer on a global level given the office he holds and to think that others can look at what he is doing and try to implement similar behaviour in their own area is not a good thing.

Those who comment on him, don't manufacture dramatic things to discuss. He and his team literally give a constant supply of material to be discussed.

The White House lied about numbers arrested at the border. Kelly-Anne Conway said yesterday that that was "an unfortunate statement" which is up there with the "alternative facts" excuse she used previously.

I'm sick of it too but I'd be a lot more concerned if such behaviour was ignored as then it would become commonplace and acceptable.

I think it's becoming commonplace and acceptable because it's covered so much. Trump relied on unpaid media coverage through primaries, through presidential campaign and he relies on them now. He will be stopped when other side stops obsessing with him and offers decent alternative and starts talking about the alternative and not about Trump.

I think it's becoming commonplace and acceptable because it's covered so much. Trump relied on unpaid media coverage through primaries, through presidential campaign and he relies on them now. He will be stopped when other side stops obsessing with him and offers decent alternative and starts talking about the alternative and not about Trump.

They're not just talking about Trump, they're talking about Trumps actions. Subtle difference maybe but it is relevant.

I disagree that shining a light on it is making it acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sure Trump is a Troll in many ways and thrives on media attention, good & bad.

Trump is one of the biggest political stories of our time. What do you want him to do, ignore it? it is a current affairs show.

Trump hasn't affected any of our lives since he came into office and you think it's one of the biggest political stories of our time.

The 'wall' story is a domestic US story, not one which is relevant to Irish people or the Irish media.

meeeeh wrote:

I agree totally. There was no reason for any network to broadcast his latest speech and yet they showed it, feeding this Mexican Wall manufactured crisis.

I didn't see any US coverage yesterday but I can assume that the news channels advertised the speech all day with captions and then countless "analysis". All for ratings.

• Advertisement

Trump hasn't affected any of our lives since he came into office and you think it's one of the biggest political stories of our time.

The 'wall' story is a domestic US story, not one which is relevant to Irish people or the Irish media.
    • Trump has undermined the Paris Agreement on Climate Change by the US pulling out of it.
    • His trade war with tariffs has the potential to impact Irish businesses
    • His fawning over Putin has emboldened him to challenge Europe which impacts us as a consequence
    • His success and the style by which he achieved it will embolden people world wide including Ireland to behave in the same way
    • His divisive manner is leading to a more argumentative global political stage
    • His supporters and former staff are actively sowing division in Europe and beyond.

You may think these are irrelevant to us in Ireland, I do not.

Advertisement