Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Trump has undermined the Paris Agreement on Climate Change by the US pulling out of it. His trade war with tariffs has the potential to impact Irish businesses His fawning over Putin has emboldened him to challenge Europe which impacts us as a consequence His success and the style by which he achieved it will embolden people world wide including Ireland to behave in the same way His divisive manner is leading to a more argumentative global political stage His supporters and former staff are actively sowing division in Europe and beyond. You may think these are irrelevant to us in Ireland, I do not.

I just don't believe any of these things have affected my life. And probably the vast majority of Irish people and yours.

The examples you've given are particularly vague and filled with "potential impacts". It just shows when people actually step back from the media coverage, you realise how little Trump actually matters to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

While Kenny and Co. are going on and on about Trump and the wall they are neglecting to mention that most Americans want that wall built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I just don't believe any of these things have affected my life. And probably the vast majority of Irish people and yours.

The examples you've given are particularly vague and filled with "potential impacts". It just shows when people actually step back from the media coverage, you realise how little Trump actually matters to people.

The fact that he is being spoken about everywhere would not suggest that he matters little to people.
    tretorn wrote: »
    While Kenny and Co. are going on and on about Trump and the wall they are neglecting to mention that most Americans want that wall built.

Really, how do you know?

The fact that he is being spoken about everywhere would not suggest that he matters little to people.

People speak a lot about Manchester United. It doesn't mean it affects their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

People speak a lot about Manchester United. It doesn't mean it affects their lives.

:D:D Touche

• Advertisement

I think you'll find it does. ;)

I think you'll find it does. ;)

Rubbish. You got called out big time with just one line.

mattser wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused:
    Please explain.

In fact, given the way people talk about sport, it justifies the current level of conversation on Trump.

Still, enlighten me.

:confused::confused::confused:
    Please explain.

In fact, given the way people talk about sport, it justifies the current level of conversation on Trump.

Still, enlighten me.

Ah now don't be playing the fool. You left yourself wide open actually.
    BTW there's a big thread on DT dedicated to those who feel the need to constantly
    whinge about him, if you're interested.

BTW there's a big thread on DT dedicated to those who feel the need to constantly

FFS. If this it, is this what you bring to the discussion?

• Advertisement

FFS. If this it, is this what you bring to the discussion?

That's all I'm prepared to bring to someone who loses the rag so easily.
    Chill.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Would it not be a bit odd to be bringing Pat Kenny's radio show into the Politics Forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

tretorn wrote: »

Who told you that? Trump. Nearly all polls have it around 60% to 40% against building the wall. Which roughly matches Trumps approval ratings, currently at 39%.

humberklog wrote: »

Would it not be a bit odd to be bringing Pat Kenny's radio show into the Politics Forum?

Yes indeed. Habitual whingeing about DT belongs in that thread. Comments on Kenny belong in Kenny's thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Yes indeed. Habitual whingeing about DT belongs in that thread. Comments on Kenny belong in Kenny's thread.

The only DT whinging that constantly repeats in this thread is the claims that a. Kenny is part of a liberal media cabal determined to smear Trump in the Irish media, and/or b. that Pat Kenny (and the media) spend too much time talking about him.

The only DT whinging that constantly repeats in this thread is the claims that a. Kenny is part of a liberal media cabal determined to smear Trump in the Irish media, and/or b. that Pat Kenny (and the media) spend too much time talking about him.

The length of time Pat Kenny spends on Trump is relevant for a Pat Kenny thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah who cares? He is better than that fekkin grumpy git SOR anyway.

I am guessing now that he is a very healthy looking 70 years old or whatever, that he is winding down the clock, and in fairness is the best that NT have at the moment.

He is a good presenter IMV, but three hours of radio is not easy to fill either. Should be more off studio items. Just to give his voice a break ha ha.

The length of time Pat Kenny spends on Trump is relevant for a Pat Kenny thread.

I didn't suggest otherwise, did I?

Ah who cares? He is better than that fekkin grumpy git SOR anyway.

I am guessing now that he is a very healthy looking 70 years old or whatever, that he is winding down the clock, and in fairness is the best that NT have at the moment.

He is a good presenter IMV, but three hours of radio is not easy to fill either. Should be more off studio items. Just to give his voice a break ha ha.

He is more than just a good presenter IMHO. He is a great current affairs broadcaster, that is why I sometimes find myself perplexed by the Newstalk PK show... So much of it is just not up to scratch. Still he needs money, and apparently they threw it at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He is more than just a good presenter IMHO. He is a great current affairs broadcaster, that is why I sometimes find myself perplexed by the Newstalk PK show... So much of it is just not up to scratch. Still he needs money, and apparently they threw it at him.

Oh I agree with you, he is ace. But perhaps constrained by NT policy on items to be discussed, and/or a dearth of researchers too.

Still, three hours is a long time for one person on radio. But he does it very well.

Trump is someone that needs taking out. The opposite is inertia, just like Brexit....get on with it type of mentality without any challenges.

• Advertisement

I didn't suggest otherwise, did I?

Oh perhaps I misinterpreted your post!

Trump is someone that needs taking out. The opposite is inertia, just like Brexit....get on with it type of mentality without any challenges.

The point is whether Irish media need to talk about him so often. That's the issue I have anyway. The current government shutdown has no relevance to Irish people but yet makes the news here.

The Journal.ie had a poll today asking us whether we agreed with Mexican Wall being built. Many of the comments pointed out that Irish people aren't affected by any wall being built or not. The poll seemed to infer that we are Americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Trump hasn't affected any of our lives since he came into office and you think it's one of the biggest political stories of our time.

The 'wall' story is a domestic US story, not one which is relevant to Irish people or the Irish media.
    • Trump has undermined the Paris Agreement on Climate Change by the US pulling out of it.
    • His trade war with tariffs has the potential to impact Irish businesses
    • His fawning over Putin has emboldened him to challenge Europe which impacts us as a consequence
    • His success and the style by which he achieved it will embolden people world wide including Ireland to behave in the same way
    • His divisive manner is leading to a more argumentative global political stage
    • His supporters and former staff are actively sowing division in Europe and beyond.

You may think these are irrelevant to us in Ireland, I do not.

Plus he has emboldened the far right/fascists/dangerous populists Worldwide. His malign influence cant be underestimated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Has Pat referred to all nurses as scumbags yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Regions Doherty standing by people stay on the Dole for in excess of 20 years. !!
    She has her snout in the trough and refuses to look up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Politically correct answers from start to finish from O'Doherty. Some people DO take the p1ss and live off the state, to not acknowledge that this happens is disingenuous, and means that you are not facing up to the problem.

Politically correct answers from start to finish from O'Doherty. Some people DO take the p1ss and live off the state, to not acknowledge that this happens is disingenuous, and means that you are not facing up to the problem.

Overall though our welfare system probably works quite well.

For example, the workforce of the country in Q2 1018 was 2.4 million. Approx 144K were unemployed. Thats 6% of total workforce. If 10,000 are taking the p*ss (as you put it) then that is 7% of those unemployed or 0.41% of the entire workforce.

That would mean that in a country where we have a welfare system to support unfortunate members of our society, 99.6% of the population use it as it is intended. It is very frustrating to see some apparently take advantage but it is impossible to fix everything.

I'm not suggesting it's right that people take advantage but they do try to act on that.

From newspaper in 2017
    There has been a huge increase in the number of unemployed people who had their dole cut for failing to take offers of work or training.

Despite the huge decline in unemployment, the number of penalties for dole claimants failing to take recommended jobs or training courses has increased by more than 2,000pc during the past five years.

The latest figures to the end of March, when almost 3,000 people were penalised, suggest that more than 12,000 unemployed people face welfare cuts in 2017. This compares with just 359 people in 2011, which was the first full year of the scheme's operation.

Would you prefer a system like the US where people can lost their jobs with little or no justification and have no welfare system to support them until they are destitute and even then it is limited to food stamps or such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Has Pat referred to all nurses as scumbags yet?

No,afaics. But Coleman has them getting nothing, his line to Veradkar is obviously pushing out that line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Irish system is not working well at all. Ireland has very high share kids living in jobless households despite lower than average unemployment. Which indicates that there are too many people who are not looking for work and claiming other supports. Poor childcare options have large role in it but the fact is that significant proportion of population is not working.

http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=lfsi_jhh_a&lang=en

https://www.thejournal.ie/jobless-households-3832381-Feb2018/

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Irish system is not working well at all. Ireland has very high share kids living in jobless households despite lower than average unemployment. Which indicates that there are too many people who are not looking for work and claiming other supports. Poor childcare options have large role in it but the fact is that significant proportion of population is not working.

http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=lfsi_jhh_a&lang=en

https://www.thejournal.ie/jobless-households-3832381-Feb2018/

Its currently at 6% according to CSO.

That journal article states the following.
    New figures released this week show that there are 253,000 such households in Ireland, out of a total of 1,440,600.

That doesn't add up if the numbers unemployed are 144,300.

It likely includes households where there are retired people so is misleading.

Advertisement