Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Its currently at 6% according to CSO.

That journal article states the following.

That doesn't add up if the numbers unemployed are 144,300.

It likely includes households where there are retired people so is misleading.

It means that there is disproportionate amount of people in Ireland who don't work. they could be on carers allowance, home with kids and so on. Google jobless households and you will see Ireland was outlier even in boom times. Maybe we have more people that need disability payments or so many more pensioners (unlikely because pensionable age in Ireland is actually relatively high), or those receiving lone parent payments but something is not working in comparison to other European countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

meeeeh wrote: »
    It means that there is disproportionate amount of people in Ireland who don't work. they could be on carers allowance, home with kids and so on. Google jobless households and you will see Ireland was outlier even in boom times. Maybe we have more people that need disability payments or so many more pensioners (unlikely because pensionable age in Ireland is actually relatively high), or those receiving lone parent payments but something is not working in comparison to other European countries.

We are 6th in Europe in this respect in 2017.
    Throughout the period 2008 to 2017, we are largely in line with the UK.

I don't know what to say about this. What are all the people in these houses doing, are they retired? Are they in education? Are they carers? Is it a problem? Is it a good sign? I genuinely don't know.

It's a very broad topic if it covers everything from education, retirement, employment, disability, caring roles etc.

I don't know what to say about this. What are all the people in these houses doing, are they retired? Are they in education? Are they carers? Is it a problem? Is it a good sign? I genuinely don't know.

It's a very broad topic if it covers everything from education, retirement, employment, disability, caring roles etc.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers but I know they are not correct. This is old so the difference is less stark but it is still there. (Just in case you don't like Eurostat data, Ireland is 6th alphabetically). And btw UK is at the top in Europe in inequality so we possibly don't want to take them as somewhere to strive to.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjI3aCCsePfAhVOURUIHTCTBJwQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Flevel-of-jobless-households-in-ireland-brings-high-rate-of-poverty-1.2384126&psig=AOvVaw0CWBRc5s_NuAzJetFJdqw9&ust=1547215497572142&cshid=1547129096515

I don't know where you are getting your numbers but I know they are not correct. This is old so the difference is less stark but it is still there. (Just in case you don't like Eurostat data, Ireland is 6th alphabetically). And btw UK is at the top in Europe in inequality so we possibly don't want to take them as somewhere to strive to.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjI3aCCsePfAhVOURUIHTCTBJwQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Flevel-of-jobless-households-in-ireland-brings-high-rate-of-poverty-1.2384126&psig=AOvVaw0CWBRc5s_NuAzJetFJdqw9&ust=1547215497572142&cshid=1547129096515

I got my numbers for the link you provided thanks. Oh and the CSO.

I got my numbers for the link you provided thanks. Oh and the CSO.

Then you will know we are not 6th in Europe. We are ahead of Montenegro and Macedonia though.

• Advertisement

Then you will know we are not 6th in Europe. We are ahead of Montenegro and Macedonia though.

If you sort by descending values for 2017 the order is as follows.
    1. Montenegro
    2. Macedonia
    3. Belgium
    4. Bulgaria
    5. France
    6. Ireland
    7. United Kingdom

I'm not suggesting it is a wonderful position, but it leads to a conversation on a very broad topic. Much broader than simple dole misuse which is what I was referring to earlier.

If you sort by descending values for 2017 the order is as follows.
    1. Montenegro
    2. Macedonia
    3. Belgium
    4. Bulgaria
    5. France
    6. Ireland
    7. United Kingdom

I'm not suggesting it is a wonderful position, but it leads to a conversation on a very broad topic. Much broader than simple dole misuse which is what I was referring to earlier.

Apologies, I thought you meant 6th from the top.

Anyway my point is that the system isn't ideal and an awful lot of people proportionally are outside workforce. I might be mistaken but above stats are for population up to 60 years old. The statistic is important because it indicates the proportion of vulnerable households.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

UK full of work shy layabouts too so.

They also have a big benefits culture too. Nothing to aspire to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Politically correct answers from start to finish from O'Doherty. Some people DO take the p1ss and live off the state, to not acknowledge that this happens is disingenuous, and means that you are not facing up to the problem.

What difference would it make if she said that?

It might give you some satisfaction to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Regions Doherty standing by people stay on the Dole for in excess of 20 years. !! She has her snout in the trough and refuses to look up.

What a miserable life it must be to live off the dole for such a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Some people DO take the p1ss and live off the state, to not acknowledge that this happens is disingenuous
    Indeed, but to overstate the problem is disingenuous too.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    UK full of work shy layabouts too so. They also have a big benefits culture too. Nothing to aspire to.
    Good man yourself, don't miss an opportunity to shít on the poor. They have it so great that their life expectancy is higher than everyone elses - except it's not.

The old "Vast armies of people on the dole laughing at us working stiffs" trope.

The bigger problem, in both Ireland and the UK, is the working poor, who are particularly affected by inaffordable housing, caused by Thatcherite goverments, in both Ireland and the UK, who refuse to build social housing, and who refuse to tackle the powerful land-hoarding vested interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Ireland has the highest jobless households in Europe.

That tells me all I need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

BarryM wrote: »
    No,afaics. But Coleman has them getting nothing, his line to Veradkar is obviously pushing out that line.

Isn't Coleman's father in law Dermot Ahern or something?
    Still he's definitely a FFG/Newstalk/RTE insider.

Pat will bash the nurses around the time of the strikes.
    Ivan and Shane have the baton at the moment. . . ready for passing to the plank un due course.

Ivan and Shane have the baton at the moment. . . ready for passing to the plank un due course.

This evening Ivan said that he totally disagreed with Shane Colmans point from this morning that the tax bands needed to be widened so that everyone paid tax even if they earn less than 18K.

Ivan was quite forceful in his dismissal of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

No,afaics. But Coleman has them getting nothing, his line to Veradkar is obviously pushing out that line.

Yates and Coleman at each other's heads.
    😄😄. And some people are falling for it. 🀣🀣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Duh texter! Racists don't like other cultures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ask him about criminality pat. He's a waffler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Healy alert. Run away

Healy alert. Run away

Yea. They replace one dose with another.

Bat gets an early mid term break, poor thing. Win win for the Buplic though.

mattser wrote: »
    Bat gets an early mid term break, poor thing. Win win for the Buplic though.

Is this some hip new slang that the kids are saying these days or are they just simple typos?

• Advertisement

Healy alert. Run away

I don't mind Jonathan Heavy but I was looking forward to hearing Pat on Brexit this week given what's happening. Hope he's back tomorrow.

I don't mind Jonathan Heavy but I was looking forward to hearing Pat on Brexit this week given what's happening. Hope he's back tomorrow.

:D:D A new type of slang :D:D

mattser wrote: »
    :D:D A new type of slang :D:D

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Healy had a beauty just now,after getting an earful from a listener........

"I may be an eejit,but at least I'm YOUR eejit,because you're still listening"

The man is a buffoon.

Uncharted wrote: »

The man is a buffoon.

Childish in the extreme. Bat missing out on the latest Brexit big gig. Failing his buplic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Uncharted wrote: »

The man is a buffoon.

Inciting comment and 'outrage' has almost literally become the business model of Newstalk. Can hardly blame Healy for indulging in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Healy is such an argumentative interviewer.
    Has the FT editor on and unless he agrees with Healy's point of view he starts raising his voice and getting exasperated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Healy is not a presenter for heavy topics. He would be better suited to local radio in a small town in his glorious Cark.

He would be perfect for talking about the local parish hall raffle and the coffee morning fundraiser.
    Wishing Aunty Nora a happy 70th birthday,etc.

National and international topics are just above his capability. He's incapable of being professional and maintaining a devil's advocate position.
    He ignores the opinions of experts and always reaches for the final say ( a la Cuddihy) .

It's his,his,his opinion above all else !!!

That mindset,coupled with a sarky,whiny,smug and simpering tone makes him unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Healy is such an argumentative interviewer.
    Has the FT editor on and unless he agrees with Healy's point of view he starts raising his voice and getting exasperated.

He can't help himself. He seems to treat the show as an opportunity to air his own views on any topic that is covered. If a contributor has a view that Johnathon doesn't agree with, he becomes positively hostile to them.
    He is by far the worst presenter on Newstalk.........and that's saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Did he just say my driving career!!!

Advertisement