Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

Callan57 wrote: »
    ... and then repeat in Blanch :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And add another decade. And some construction & medical inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Great memories of plane spotting at Dublin Airport as nerdey kid in early 80s, taking regs etc. As a poorish kid from Ballymun it was so exotic, never thought Id ever fly (my first flight was in 1989), also used to write to airlines for info and get back plane specs, postcards etc, was so exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I listened to the first hour as usual this morning.

Couldn't believe how hostile Pat was to both guests and listening texters.

Borderline unprofessional, hope he improved after ten.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I listened to the first hour as usual this morning.

Couldn't believe how hostile Pat was to both guests and listening texters.

Borderline unprofessional, hope he improved after ten.
    He was certainly quite exasperated, but so would i be, if people were trying to downplay the waste of hard-earned public money at that hour of a Monday morning (National Children's Hospital, if anybody didn't hear it).

As for whether it got any better after the 10 o'clock news - No. He had a woman on who was there to talk about her new clinic, maintaining "wellness" using colonic irrigation, faecal implants, and the like. Activities which have an even weaker basis in medical evidence than the design of the new Children's Hospital. Pat didn't give her much of a grilling, I'm assuming it was some kind of paid advertisement (??), or else he was exhausted after the previous segment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

He was certainly quite exasperated, but so would i be, if people were trying to downplay the waste of hard-earned public money at that hour of a Monday morning (National Children's Hospital, if anybody didn't hear it).

As for whether it got any better after the 10 o'clock news - No. He had a woman on who was there to talk about her new clinic, maintaining "wellness" using colonic irrigation, faecal implants, and the like. Activities which have an even weaker basis in medical evidence than the design of the new Children's Hospital. Pat didn't give her much of a grilling, I'm assuming it was some kind of paid advertisement (??), or else he was exhausted after the previous segment.

Yeah I think Pat is mutually interested and extremely irate at the whole hospital fiasco and the TD's downplaying of the extreme lack of responsibility and management associated with the building and contracting of the children's hospital. But I also noted he was very hostile to his guest this morning; his usual terse replies when annoyed moved on to almost full on shouting!

I was disappointed with the lack of skepticism / analysis in his interview / chat with the lady from the "wellness" institute....while she did say it wasn't a medical treatment but rather a wellness treatment, I did find her discussion misleading and I found Pat seemed pretty passive. As you said, perhaps it was a friend of a friend, so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

He was caught out on the helipad point.

He’s shown before he doesn’t like it been put to him and gets shouty and interrupts people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pat is just an insufferable snob at times. He must be the only person in Ireland that pronounces St. James' properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

He’s shown before he doesn’t like it been put to him and gets shouty and interrupts people.
    Does anyone remember good old Martin Mansergh? That was his speciality too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Pat is just an insufferable snob at times. He must be the only person in Ireland that pronounces St. James' properly.
    Christ, you're kinda clutching at straws there! :D He has his flaws, but compared to most of the other presenters on the national airwaves (in particular his colleagues at Newstalk) he is leagues ahead. Have you listened to the likes of Ciara Kelly...cringe-worthy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Well done Pat, I say. A bit more proper pronounciation and diction on the airwaves would be welcome. In fact, a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Didn't he grow up next to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I must be an insufferable snob too then!

Don't answer that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I must be an insufferable snob too then!

Don't answer that. :pac:

Expunge !! Expunge!! :pac:

Ahwell wrote:

It's very evident that he's long since moved on from his roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I heard him on a podcast with An Irishman abroad last year where he discussed his life and career.

He said that around the time of the financial crash (I think), he offered to Minister for Education (at the time) Ruairi Quinn that he would be willing to speak to inner city school children about how he had grown up in that environment and yet was very qualified academically and had had a successful career. He said that he offered to do so as he felt that many in some areas do not believe that they could be successful because they don't see anyone from their area being so.
    (be clear, he wasn't saying the should be ashamed of their origins or roots but just that if they had a desire to be successful, that it was possible)

This tells me that he recognizes that he is a long way from where he was brought up.

There's no doubt his accent is a manufactured one. He should sound a lot more like Joan Burton, they went to the same school. His one weakness is "chimney". The way he pronounces it is pure Dublinese.

He said that around the time of the financial crash (I think), he offered to Minister for Education (at the time) Ruairi Quinn that he would be willing to speak to inner city school children about how he had grown up in that environment and yet was very qualified academically and had had a successful career. He said that he offered to do so as he felt that many in some areas do not believe that they could be successful because they don't see anyone from their area being so. (be clear, he wasn't saying the should be ashamed of their origins or roots but just that if they had a desire to be successful, that it was possible)

His notion of success means being financial successful, rich.

Many people just want a decent job with decent wages. These jobs don't necessarily need to involve academic qualifications and may include manual jobs. In essence, lower paid jobs need to have major pay increases.

He simply can't comprehend this.

His notion of success means being financial successful, rich.

Many people just want a decent job with decent wages. These jobs don't necessarily need to involve academic qualifications and may include manual jobs. In essence, lower paid jobs need to have major pay increases.

He simply can't comprehend this.

His point was not about money equalling success it was about achieving something which some felt they would like to do but may have been beyond them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

He’s getting more opinionated and shouty each day.

Starting to turn him off in the morning.

His point was not about money equalling success it was about achieving something which some felt they would like to do but may have been beyond them.

Well it's pretty clear listening to him for years that he believes being wealthy is a sign of success.

A lot of people get satisfaction and pleasure for caring for their elderly parent. I suspect Pat has never given a second thought to the idea that this could be considered as worthwhile, self fulfilling and 'successful'.

• Advertisement

Well it's pretty clear listening to him for years that he believes being wealthy is a sign of success.

A lot of people get satisfaction and pleasure for caring for their elderly parent. I suspect Pat has never given a second thought to the idea that this could be considered as worthwhile, self fulfilling and 'successful'.

I disagree that he exhibits feeling that.

I suspect he believes that for the most part, wealthy people have been somewhat successful and that yes, success can bring wealth but if you heard his reaction to Paul Murphy when he suggested that Pat was only interested in people earning big money I don't think you would say that he believes the only type of success is money. On that podcast he mentioned, he spoke about his fathers career and how much he gained from it outside of financial payment and how valuable that was.

Did Pat Kenny object to your planning application or what happened between ye two ?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Well done Pat, I say. A bit more proper pronounciation and diction on the airwaves would be welcome. In fact, a lot more.

You know I'm glad that Pat Kenny has taken a stand, and broken from the conformity and consensus that is Newstalk, but I would have preferred if he'd picked something a bit more meaningful than the pronunciation of the name of a hospital.

I suspect he believes that for the most part, wealthy people have been somewhat successful and that yes, success can bring wealth but if you heard his reaction to Paul Murphy when he suggested that Pat was only interested in people earning big money I don't think you would say that he believes the only type of success is money. On that podcast he mentioned, he spoke about his fathers career and how much he gained from it outside of financial payment and how valuable that was.

Money money money. All about money with Pat.

:confused::confused::confused:

I have no idea where you get this from...

??????
    Your posts are bordering on ludicrously obsessive.

Pat Kenny is a very successful broadcaster.

He has been at the top of his profession for decades.
    That would of course have made him a wealthy man over his decades of working at the top of his industry.

Would you begrudge him his success/ wealth?

Uncharted wrote: »

Would you begrudge him his success/ wealth?

No, I would't begrudge him, but I think it's fair to say that he has always had an inflated sense of what he is worth.

Defending hid €950,956 euro RTE salary in 2010...
    "I often wonder why there isn't the same fuss over the salaries paid to footballers like John O'Shea, earning more in three weeks than Marian Finucane earns in a year.

"There is a double standard there. These people put themselves on the line, they entertain the nation week in, week out, and yet they are paid a trivial amount compared to footballers."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/were-paid-peanuts-compared-to-soccer-stars-says-pat-kenny-26678093.html

Uncharted wrote:
    Pat Kenny is a very successful broadcaster.

Uncharted wrote:
    He has been at the top of his profession for decades. That would of course have made him a wealthy man over his decades of working at the top of his industry.

My comment isn't about the salary he's getting and no I don't begrudge him it.

It's his generally right wing view he takes on most matters that I'm getting at. It was always there, but since he came to Newstalk it's become more obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Is he overpaid for what he does? Yes IMO, and vastly so.

But I’d rather give Pat €1m a year than Joe Duffy €50k for his output, or to put it another way about a euro for each of his mispronunciations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ahwell wrote: »

I think he grew up somewhere along the North Circular at the Phoenix Park end.

Not a million miles away in fairness.

Advertisement