Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Ahwell wrote: »
    Just heard an ad for the "Peter Casey report" starting on the Pat Kenny Show next Tuesday. It's not very clear from the ad what the format of this report is going to be, we'll see I suppose.

Not sure what their sound designer was getting at, but the music used for that promo is a song called 'The Wizard'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Not sure what their sound designer was getting at, but the music used for that promo is a song called 'The Wizard'...

Black Sabbath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Ahwell wrote: »
    Black Sabbath?

Yep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yep!

The B-side to Paranoid...influenced by the wizard Gandalf from The Lord of the Rings...also believed to be about the band's drug dealer at the time. Yeah, Interesting choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Terminal 2

The accusations levelled at Newstalk are even more baffling. The idea that a station that employs Ivan Yates and Pat Kenny, and previously had on its payroll Paul Williams and George Hook, is a platform for Liberal snowflakes is... astonishing.

3 of them are bluffers

PK professional most of the time , sometimes the mask slips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ahwell wrote:
    Just heard an ad for the "Peter Casey report" starting on the Pat Kenny Show next Tuesday. It's not very clear from the ad what the format of this report is going to be, we'll see I suppose.

Hasn't he had his 15 minutes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,931 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Peter Casey Reports
    The Peter Casey Reports kick off this morning. Tune in from 10am for episode 1: Peter Casey and the Travelling Community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Pat Kenny is absolutely stunned to discover just now that a high % of nurses work 3 x 13hr shifts and that's their week done. Said he never realised this.
    He seems genuinely surprised and is asking who wanted this, nurses or the HSE!!!

How did he not know this by now

jay0109 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is absolutely stunned to discover just now that a high % of nurses work 3 x 13hr shifts and that's their week done. Said he never realised this. He seems genuinely surprised and is asking who wanted this, nurses or the HSE!!! How did he not know this by now
    I did not know either.
    I thought it would be 4 x 10h + overtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Pat Kenny is absolutely stunned to discover just now that a high % of nurses work 3 x 13hr shifts and that's their week done. Said he never realised this.
    He seems genuinely surprised and is asking who wanted this, nurses or the HSE!!!

I believe his surprise was related to the fact that Nurse unions wanted is this way rather than HSE.

• Advertisement

cmac2009 wrote: »
    I believe his surprise was related to the fact that Nurse unions wanted is this way rather than HSE.

No, he said he didn't know that and then asked who wanted it.

This is old news as far as I'm concerned. I've heard it mentioned in the media for many years whenever the nurses are agitating...although in fairness, it's not something the media make much noise about. Same as public service pensions...you never really hear them mentioned in disputes like this. It's nearly like they don't exist!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think Pat knew well enough that a lot of nurses want and opt for the 3x13hr rota but it's far from all nurses that do.
    I think Pat used his faux surprise in order to underline and repeat for the listener this rota practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There seems to be separate fund-raising campaigns for each type of cancer. Could these organisations not get together and have a common fund-raising effort.
    Also, where is the money spent? Most of the research on cancer is carried out by the big pharma companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Great. Some research there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

humberklog wrote: »
    I think Pat knew well enough that a lot of nurses want and opt for the 3x13hr rota but it's far from all nurses that do.
    I think Pat used his faux surprise in order to underline and repeat for the listener this rota practice.

This ^^^^.

Pat knew well what the nurses rota was.

Imo he was using his "shock" to reciprocate a "shocked " response from listeners.

Pat is a wily fox .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,485 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If Casey is going to run for Europe in May, that 'report' will be short lived - not a hope in hell he'd be allowed have a regular show once a declared candidate.

Struggling to see the point of this Peter Casey segment. People's opinions of him are already deeply entrenched on opposing sides. I had hoped this segment might have shone a light on the whole debacle.

There's nothing new or revelatory here.

What is this fluff piece going to achieve??

Uncharted wrote: »
    Struggling to see the point of this ..... There's nothing new or revelatory here. What is this fluff piece going to achieve??
    Escalate his profile for the next elections

The Casey piece seems to be all about indoctrinating him around to the new way of thinking about Traveller's i.e. they have ethnic status because one Taoiseach decided so.
    Very little if anything about Travellers learning to live within the laws of the land and show some courtesy/respect for their neighbours and the hand that feeds them

zell12 wrote: »
    Escalate his profile for the next elections

Hmmm. Not so sure about that.
    It's mind numbing stuff.

Yesterday's news.

Nothing new here. 3/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Casey got schooled properly by that Traveller guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Uncharted wrote: »
    This ^^^^.

Pat knew well what the nurses rota was.

Imo he was using his "shock" to reciprocate a "shocked " response from listeners.

Pat is a wily fox .

He's hardly that stuck for attention that he'd stoop to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Didn't catch it (Casey) - worth listening back to? Yes/No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

no, really poor radio. Out dated content, loads of background noise, pure rubbish imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Casey sounded unprepared for this piece. Nearly like he had been caught on the hop which given the amount of time he probably had to prepare for it does not bode well.

He may run for election, if he does, he'll get attention but I suspect that he will only distract from the main players and what should be the main topics of discussion.

At one point in today's piece where he was talking about how informed he was about travellers, I thought that he sounded like Trump with an American accent.

Didn't catch it (Casey) - worth listening back to? Yes/No?

Not one iota that hasn't been sound- bited ( ? ) to death already.
    Poor radio.

mattser wrote: »
    He's hardly that stuck for attention that he'd stoop to that.

I'm certainly not claiming that he's stuck for attention,but imo that's exactly what his intentions were with his agog reaction to that piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

humberklog wrote: »

Any nurses I know either do three nights a month only or else they do three twelve hour shifts. A few do two twelve hour shifts but they work in private hospitals.

They like working these shifts because it means they pay less childcare and it gives them more time with their children. They also like to pursue their hobbies on their day off.

None would be happy to change to shorter shifts and work everyday but maybe this needs to be looked at.

tretorn wrote: »
    Any nurses I know either do three nights a month only or else they do three twelve hour shifts. A few do two twelve hour shifts but they work in private hospitals.

They like working these shifts because it means they pay less childcare and it gives them more time with their children. They also like to pursue their hobbies on their day off.

None would be happy to change to shorter shifts and work everyday but maybe this needs to be looked at.

Perhaps that level of flexibility needs to be factored into their pay talks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Casey thing sounded like a hatchet job,what I heard of it.

Anyway,who wants to hear more of this guy?

Advertisement