Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Will be tuning out for any James kavanagh sections. Come back Brian Kennedy and Katherine lynch all is forgiven haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

humberklog wrote: »
    I couldn't listen the book club previously because I disliked the panel and their voices. I listened to the first 5 minutes to the new contributors today and switched channel for the same reason.

Not for me.

The 3 new ones sound like 2FM deejays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think that PK and his book club friends don't know what a book club is really all about. A typical book club is a bunch of women of a certain age range who get together in each other's houses on a regular basis to drink wine and eat 'finger' food, exchange news and gossip and generally have a pleasant little get-together.
    Occasionally they may read a book and discuss it for about two minutes before they all go home, but this is not an essential part of the process!
    In any event there is nothing more boring than listening to someone giving a blow-by-blow account of some book they've read.
    I suppose Pat has to fill his 3 hours with something.

I enjoyed book club segment but maybe I'm a woman of certain age and maybe there should be an odd segment on radio aimed at us too. After all Pat also does sport aimed at men of certain age... in any event there is nothing more boring than to listening to a bliw by blow discussion of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I think that PK and his book club friends don't know what a book club is really all about. A typical book club is a bunch of women of a certain age range who get together in each other's houses on a regular basis to drink wine and eat 'finger' food, exchange news and gossip and generally have a pleasant little get-together.
    Occasionally they may read a book and discuss it for about two minutes before they all go home, but this is not an essential part of the process!
    In any event there is nothing more boring than listening to someone giving a blow-by-blow account of some book they've read.

Clearly you have never been to a bookclub :P

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Will be tuning out for any James kavanagh sections. Come back Brian Kennedy and Katherine lynch all is forgiven haha

I agree.... a rather vacuous and desperate wannabee who would turn up to the opening of a tin of peas.... lives in an Instagram bubble.

• Advertisement

Isn't he yer man who's "famous on Snapchat"? Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

More children’s hospital talk this morn. Pat egging on the contributor to slam the current plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Did he say he wasn't much of a book reader because he's too busy with his phone? Kind of missing the point of a book club, unless PK is bringing him to the fold

He is some sort of influencer as far as I know. His (and his partners) cook book did get good reviews though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

More children’s hospital talk this morn. Pat egging on the contributor to slam the current plan

In fairness, Jimmy Sheehan makes a compelling case for stopping all work on the Jame's site and moving on to a greenfield location. Even what he said about all the CT Scanners going in at the same time rather than just buy them as you need them so they don't all life expire at the same time.

If we had any good investigative journalists in this country, there's a major story to be unearthed about the role medical politics has played in the whole mess.
    Trinity College = St James, UCD = Mater and RCSI = Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Pat needs a contributor that will really explain the problems with the new hospital build, not someone to push his agenda of a green field site at this late stage.

There were so many things wrong with what this contributor said: specifically, that a redesign would be complete in 6 months, which is simply impossible. 18 months minimum for a project of this size and complexity. The next idea he had was that tendering law could simply be ignored. You can't do what you like in the public sector, the rules have to be followed, otherwise you're open to litigation from several parties. Lastly, he was delighted the current contractor have offered to walk away, they glossed over compensation conveniently enough. The contractor would be entitled to the profit he expected from the contact. As a margin of 10-15% is typical in building , the contractor would walk away with between €150m-200m for doing nothing.

I could go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

who is Pat Kenney?

who is Pat Kenney?
    Who is God?

Hello, Samuel Beckett.

So profound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

meeeeh wrote: »

He is some sort of influencer as far as I know. His (and his partners) cook book did get good reviews though.

Was he the imbecile who lives his life by a Spice Girl book?

Was he the imbecile who lives his life by a Spice Girl book?
    You leave the Spice Girls out of this.

Geri's book was the greatest autobiography since Hemingway's Moveable Feast.

I don't know about Geri's book but I couldn't finish Hemingway's so i'm not sure if that is a great endorsement for me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Barna77 wrote: »
    Did he say he wasn't much of a book reader because he's too busy with his phone? Kind of missing the point of a book club, unless PK is bringing him to the fold
    He won't be on with Tubridy any time soon so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I always thought 'bourgeois reading lists' referred to obscure novelists from the French Panthéon, or reading Kierkegaard in Starbucks (so gauche).

I prefer to read Sartre hidden inside a copy of Just Joe in Matt The Rashers with a cup of tea in a polystyrene cup. The polystyrene cup is white so to speak.

Personally I prefer Mel B's book as it's a biography/thriller.

Who is God?

Bono: Dude, I'm here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Two minutes would be a long time to discuss a book in most bookclubs, less than thirty seconds in between topping up the wine is more usual.

Out of the women who attend the meet up, a couple will have read the book but at least a month ago so will have forgotten what is was about, most books are totally forgettable. A third of the women never read the book at all and the rest start the book the night before the bookclub meets up.

I prefer to read Sartre hidden inside a copy of Just Joe in Matt The Rashers with a cup of tea in a polystyrene cup. The polystyrene cup is white so to speak.
    Little twerp that I was, I used to carry Sartre's Being and Nothingness around college (still haven't read it (incomprehensible shıte), with the Racing Post tucked under my arm, probably my only reading material in those days.

Someday I might get around to reading Just Joe - although even the idea of that makes Sartre sound appealing.

Little twerp that I was, I used to carry Sartre's Being and Nothingness around college (still haven't read it (incomprehensible shıte), with the Racing Post tucked under my arm, probably my only reading material in those days.

Someday I might get around to reading Just Joe - although even the idea of that makes Sartre sound appealing.

A-ha! An Arts student!

As for Just Joe.....obviously I haven't read it, but Joe's brudder loved it:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/no-comment-from-joe-duffy-as-brother-talks-of-deep-hurt-caused-by-his-book-26796496.html

I know which side of the story (so to speak) I have most faith in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

A-ha! An Arts student!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/no-comment-from-joe-duffy-as-brother-talks-of-deep-hurt-caused-by-his-book-26796496.html

Brudder from anudder mudder,who begged for beer money by up the Dodder?

Can I just point out that Sartre's No Exit is still my favourite play, I prefer it even to Ionesco's Bald Soprano or Beckett's Waiting for Godot. :D

meeeeh wrote: »
    Can I just point out that Sartre's No Exit is still my favourite play, I prefer it even to Ionesco's Bald Soprano or Beckett's Waiting for Godot. :D
    I will watch dis on utube. Hope it's nothing like Beckett's play where Godot never even showed up. Total scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I will watch dis on utube. Hope it's nothing like Beckett's play where Godot never even showed up. Total scam.

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Do you have to shoehorn your obsession with Joe Duffy into every radio thread?

A-ha! An Arts student!
    I wasn't an arts student, I was wooing the arts students.

(I'm still posting on boards; needless to say, it didn't work)

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Do you have to shoehorn your obsession with Joe Duffy into every radio thread?
    Don't criticise Radio posters like this again. This is a platform for opinion

Advertisement