Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PK really going to town on the hospital and Dublin transport shortcomings - a bit like Dublin Local Radio at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

PK really going to town on the hospital and Dublin transport shortcomings - a bit like Dublin Local Radio at the moment.

Is it not the National Children's Hospital :rolleyes:

Interesting to hear from Finbarr Walsh that the only parent who was on the consultation board from the children's hospital, was a Dublin Doctor who happened to have a sick child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Has that woman mentioned that she has integrity yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I wish one of these contributors would tell us wether or not they think integrity and honesty is important in the world of influencers.

Oh no, please don't say that Pat and Healy are now on his show at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Oh no, please don't say that Pat and Healy are now on his show at the same time!

That happens regularly when Jonathan does special reports.

They're usually well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I can't bear Healy as a radio host,but I have to admit, several of his 5minute 'reports' have been of a high quality.

That happens regularly when Jonathan does special reports.

They're usually well put together.

I thought that was recorded reports with no interaction first time I heard them live in the studio.

Par Kenny has updated his profile pic

Pat Kenny has updated his profile pic

They all have.
    Probably part of website upgrade.

• Advertisement

Uncharted wrote: »
    I can't bear Healy as a radio host,but I have to admit, several of his 5minute 'reports' have been of a high quality.

I don't mind him as a host. Not my favourite by a long stretch but yes, the focused reports are one of his strongest skill sets.

I don't mind him as a host. Not my favourite by a long stretch but yes, the focused reports are one of his strongest skill sets.
    Yeah, they remind me of Brian O'Connell's excellent reports on the Today Show. Haven't heard Healy's latest reports, but he did some great work in the past, am thinking especially of some reports he did on Traveller housing, or the lack of it. Glad to hear he's still active on NT, seems like one of the nicest guys on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If you have tell people that you've got integrity it usually means you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Yeah, they remind me of Brian O'Connell's excellent reports on the Today Show. Haven't heard Healy's latest reports, but he did some great work in the past, am thinking especially of some reports he did on Traveller housing, or the lack of it. Glad to hear he's still active on NT, seems like one of the nicest guys on radio.

He had Pat along to launch his company (I thought he'd set that up ages ago)
    https://twitter.com/jonathanhealy/status/1098913228233588736

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Fairly handy interview there with the Garda fella. Let him blow his trumpet without any criticism. He briefly addressed the collapse of the trial of Patrick Hutch. He said crimes relying on photographic evidence are always difficult to nail down.
    So a photo of a guy running away from a shooting carrying a gun isn't fairly solid evidence?
    Pull the other one.

humberklog wrote: »
    Fairly handy interview there with the Garda fella. Let him blow his trumpet without any criticism. He briefly addressed the collapse of the trial of Patrick Hutch. He said crimes relying on photographic evidence are always difficult to nail down.
    So a photo of a guy running away from a shooting carrying a gun isn't fairly solid evidence?
    Pull the other one.
    the gunman was wearing a wig and makeup, wasn't he? It's a bit of a strech to expect a Court comprised of three judges to each say that they are certain that that is the person appearing before them, especially if the footage isn't of a great quality or shot (no pun intended) from a distance.

I think courts even go far as to specifically warn jurors about the reliability of visual identification when it does arise, although I'm not sure if that relates to CCTV also.

I thought the interview with the Assistant Commissioner was interesting, but yes, it was a bit soft and his answers often vague or contradictory.

It did reflect well, however on the hard work of front line Gardaí who are risking their lives on a regular basis. I know that's a bit of a cliché that we always say about Gardai, but in terms of gangland crime, it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

the gunman was wearing a wig and makeup, wasn't he? It's a bit of a strech to expect a Court comprised of three judges to each say that they are certain that that is the person appearing before them, especially if the footage isn't of a great quality or shot (no pun intended) from a distance.

I think courts even go far as to specifically warn jurors about the reliability of visual identification when it does arise, although I'm not sure if that relates to CCTV also.

I thought the interview with the Assistant Commissioner was interesting, but yes, it was a bit soft and his answers often vague or contradictory.

It did reflect well, however on the hard work of front line Gardaho are risking their lives on a regular basis. I know that's a bit of a clichhat we always say about Gardai, but in terms of gangland crime, it's true.

I though it was a frank and enlightening interview from an officer who has been at the top of his game in recent years. What parts were vague or contradictory in your opinion ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

When I saw the photo I said to myself- "That's so and so" and I've only seen the guy a few times irl.

But the Garda at least should have been asked that if the case was deemed strong enough to go to trial before the suicide of detective Fox what went wrong that it couldn't proceed?

The crime was the crime, the evidence was the evidence. A seperate event shouldn't collapse a trial if best practice is followed.

The Garda are getting off with little to none questioning in this matter and are cloaking themselves behind a seperate tragedy. I was hoping Pat might at least attempt to dive a bit deeper.

mattser wrote: »
    I though it was a frank and enlightening interview from an officer who has been at the top of his game in recent years. What parts were vague or contradictory in your opinion ?
    Vague - referencing the fluctuation in the murder stats since the 1940s but not breaking it down between gangland murders - which figure a man in his position must surely know - after Pat asked him that question.

Vague - do Gardaí have access to face recognition technology? This is hardly some operational secret, and seems like a particularly important question is relation to the Regency trial collapse.

Contradictory - supports anything that would reduce Garda Presence in court, but doesn't seem to support decriminalisation of certain drugs, which has been shown to work elsewhere in improving police resources for other criminal detections and investigations.

Those are just three example from the top of my head. He also struggled with some basic answers like "if Gardai can seize a learner driver's car, why not the BMW of a man on the dole?". He just kept saying '... That's the system we have, that's why we have the courts', but the obvious answer was that you can see on sight whether a driver has a full licence, an investigation into someone's assets and financial history is a lot more complex and time-consuming.

Not trying to be too harsh on the man, he did give us some useful facts (prevention of murder in particular), but he is an Assistant Commissioner and would have thought there'd be some more of a statistical and factual explanation about Garda success and resources at a time when part of the city is pretty perturbed by the current feud.

If you have tell people that you've got integrity it usually means you don't.

Yeah I was being sarcasric, she had said it about 4 times by that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Vague - referencing the fluctuation in the murder stats since the 1940s but not breaking it down between gangland murders - which figure a man in his position must surely know - after Pat asked him that question.

Vague - do Gardaave access to face recognition technology? This is hardly some operational secret, and seems like a particularly important question is relation to the Regency trial collapse.

Contradictory - supports anything that would reduce Garda Presence in court, but doesn't seem to support decriminalisation of certain drugs, which has been shown to work elsewhere in improving police resources for other criminal detections and investigations.

Those are just three example from the top of my head. He also struggled with some basic answers like "if Gardai can seize a learner driver's car, why not the BMW of a man on the dole?". He just kept saying '... That's the system we have, that's why we have the courts', but the obvious answer was that you can see on sight whether a driver has a full licence, an investigation into someone's assets and financial history is a lot more complex and time-consuming.

Not trying to be too harsh on the man, he did give us some useful facts (prevention of murder in particular), but he is an Assistant Commissioner and would have thought there'd be some more of a statistical and factual explanation about Garda success and resources at a time when part of the city is pretty perturbed by the current feud.

I think there are people within the organisation better placed to deal with statistics. This mans expertise is obviously fighting serious crime, not recording it.
    If Pat wants figures, he can ring Statto in whatever office he/she occupies in the organisation.

mattser wrote: »
    I think there are people within the organisation better placed to deal with statistics. This man's expertise is obviously fighting serious crime, not recording it.
    If Pat wants figures, he can ring Statto in whatever office he/she occupies in the organisation.
    still, if you're going on national radio to speak about the success of a unit you head, you'd think that's the first and most obvious statistic to have gathered.

In fact, I'd be worried about anyone heading a unit like that, who isn't constantly monitoring the figure of gangland-related murders, and can't tell you offhand.

It would be like the CFO of Bank of Ireland not being able to tell you offhand his bank's net profit last year, and whether the number is going up or down. Lots of fairly junior managers in any bank could tell you as much.

Anyway, like I said I don't want to overly criticise him, but I do think he spoke a lot without saying very much. It's a trait that grates on me, because his job is a very practical one and I just heard a lot of attempts at management waffle, with occasionally interesting tidbits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

PK facilitating BioGen to blackmail the HSE into paying extortionate prices for their product. Are we supposed to believe that BioGen are only concerned with the welfare of the patients?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Roger_007 wrote: »
    PK facilitating BioGen to blackmail the HSE into paying extortionate prices for their product. Are we supposed to believe that BioGen are only concerned with the welfare of the patients?

Pat gives these people a platform, yet wonders why the health budget is always overspent.

He needs to stop whining about the NCH at St James too. It's not moving to another site.

Couldnt give a **** what someones first name is.

Im a big fan of Pat Kenny but I have to admit,I thought his 'rant' (ott I know ) about trending children's names was very peculiar.

He was aghast at kids having names like Emily,Ava,Jack,Frankie etc.

He then went on to say, "what are the parents thinking,these classrooms will be full of kids sharing the same first name".

"We could end up in a situation where there's 4 Emma's in a classroom".

And ??????

The irony of this coming from an Irishman named Patrick seems lost on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Uncharted wrote: »
    Im a big fan of Pat Kenny but I have to admit,I thought his 'rant' (ott I know ) about trending children's names was very peculiar.

He was aghast at kids having names like Emily,Ava,Jack,Frankie etc.

He then went on to say, "what are the parents thinking,these classrooms will be full of kids sharing the same first name".

"We could end up in a situation where there's 4 Emma's in a classroom".

And ??????

The irony of this coming from an Irishman named Patrick seems lost on him.
    My Emma is in the class with another two Emma's. The irony is we thought we were actually quite original when picking her name. Obviously not. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭plodder

He needs to stop whining about the NCH at St James too. It's not moving to another site.
    Don't normally listen to him, but I heard that yesterday too, pontificating about it being built in the wrong place ..... in your opinion Pat ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Is it silly season or something? There's been more coverage of this baby's names crap over the last 2 days than many more important things.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Is it silly season or something? There's been more coverage of this baby's names crap over the last 2 days than many more important things.

Agreed. It's even more strange to hear PK discussing such mundane fluff.

Im more surprised he didn't investigate how many Donalds or Hillarys were born this year.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement