Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Any mention of Denis O'Brien on Pat's show this week?

Any mention of Denis O'Brien on Pat's show this week?
    Haven't listened back to PK yet, but it was covered on The Hard Shoulder just now, and is the lead story on NT bulletins.

I think the Supreme Court ruling only hit the news in the last hour of the PK show, so if it wasn't covered, it may have been a timing issue. Also, the Supreme Court is sitting in Galway so there may not have been a big media presence.

I think the Supreme Court ruling only hit the news in the last hour of the PK show, so if it wasn't covered, it may have been a timing issue. Also, the Supreme Court is sitting in Galway so there may not have been a big media presence.

The outcome of the case was known to be happening this morning. The Sean O'Rourke programme devoted a segment to it.

Pat is very keen to read out anti Traveller and anti social welfare texts, incessant Trump segments, but ignores the big Irish elephant in the room. Depressing.

The outcome of the case was known to be happening this morning. The Sean O'Rourke programme devoted a segment to it.

Pat is very keen to read out anti Traveller and anti social welfare texts, incessant Trump segments, but ignores the big Irish elephant in the room. Depressing.
    I doubt Sean O' Rourke read out any Denis O'Brien texts, but am open to correction!

RTE has two dedicated legal correspondents, they have a far greater capacity to report on breaking legal stories.

There were significant cases happening today in Dublin and at the Supreme Court sitting in Galway. As far as I can see, NT has only one courts correspondent. Not sure if he's freelance or an employee, but he can't be in two places at once.

I doubt Sean O' Rourke read out any Denis O'Brien texts, but am open to correction!

My point was that they devoted time to the story. Interviewed Pearse Doherty for example.

Meanwhile Pat is only delighted to read out anti Traveller , anti social welfare texts. Broadcasters are there to challenge the rich and powerful, not pick on minorities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomhammer

My point was that they devoted time to the story. Interviewed Pearse Doherty for example.

Meanwhile Pat is only delighted to read out anti Traveller , anti social welfare texts. Broadcasters are there to challenge the rich and powerful, not pick on minorities.
    Like anyone takes Pearse Doherty seriously

Anti-everything and do nothing

You're preaching to the choir here when it comes to anti-traveller rhetoric; few aspects of Irish social and political commentary are as obnoxious as the unabashed bigotry and derision towards travellers.

As I said, I don't know if PK covered the D'OB case, but it was covered on the Hard Shoulder and is at the top of the bulletins. I suspect if he didn't cover it, it was due to the lack of a Newstalk presence at the sitting of the Court in Galway. There were at least two major criminal trials happening in Dublin today, at the CCJ.

You can't really go and interview partisan commentators like Pearse Doherty until you've made some fundamental attempt to establish the facts of the court ruling. I would bet the farm that before SO'R interviewed Pearse Doherty, he spoke to a legal correspondent or had someone outline the findings of the Court in a neutral manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

As I said, I don't know if PK covered the D'OB case, but it was covered on the Hard Shoulder and is at the top of the bulletins. I suspect if he didn't cover it, it was due to the lack of a Newstalk presence at the sitting of the Court in Galway. There were at least two major criminal trials happening in Dublin today, at the CCJ

In my experience negative Denis O'Brien stories are treated differently on Newstalk. The bare facts will be reported, but never discussed in any meaningful way like they would be if it were a comparable Irish figure. You will never hear O'Brien stories brought up, in say, one of the panel discussions. Newstalk wants it's presenters to be a bit gobby, but you will not hear one of it's presenters spout there opinions on a Denis O'Brien story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ahwell wrote: »
    In my experience negative Denis O'Brien stories are treated differently on Newstalk. The bare facts will be reported, but never discussed in any meaningful way like they would be if it were a comparable Irish figure. You will never hear Denis O'Brien stories brought up, in say, one of the panel discussions. Newstalk wants it's presenters to be a bit gobby, but you will never hear one of it's presenters spout there opinions on a Denis O'Brien story.

Same accusation has been suggested about RTE employees questioning the government.

Him who pays the piper, calls the tune....

Not sure I believe it in either case.

In my experience negative Denis O'Brien stories are treated differently on Newstalk. The bare facts will be reported, but never discussed in any meaningful way like they would be if it were a comparable Irish figure. You will never hear O'Brien stories brought up, in say, one of the panel discussions. Newstalk wants it's presenters to be a bit gobby, but you will never hear one of it's presenters spout there opinions on a Denis O'Brien story.
    Usually, I'd be inclined to agree with this, but I'm also trying to recall any 'opinion' broadcasts on RTE regarding Denis O'Brien which haven't strictly adhered to a topical news item, emphasizing his good name.

I think it's perfectly natural to anticipate that Newstalk would be more hesitant in discussing O'Brien, but I'm only going on what I've been hearing since leaving work. It did feature at the top of the broadcast on The Hard Shoulder, and it has been the lead (lede?) story on bulletins.

• Advertisement

Same accusation has been suggested about RTE employees questioning the government.

Him who pays the piper, calls the tune....

Not sure I believe it in either case.

I do, In both cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

In my experience negative Denis O'Brien stories are treated differently on Newstalk. The bare facts will be reported, but never discussed in any meaningful way like they would be if it were a comparable Irish figure. You will never hear O'Brien stories brought up, in say, one of the panel discussions. Newstalk wants it's presenters to be a bit gobby, but you will not hear one of it's presenters spout there opinions on a Denis O'Brien story.
    Would you expect any different though?

And if you would, well there is always the example of Sam Smyth, pour encourager les autres.

serfboard wrote: »
    Would you expect any different though?

And if you would, well there is always the example of Sam Smyth, pour encourager les autres.

I agree, It is perfectly understandable., but it brings into question whether one person should own so much of the Irish media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Newstalk doesn't allow critical discussion of DO'B. Look at Ciara Kelly, who let's listeners decide what's discussed on Fridays. How many times has she let a discussion on say O'Briens fondness for resorting to the courts to silence his critics take place? The findings of the Moriarty tribunal?

As I said, I don't know if PK covered the D'OB case, but it was covered on the Hard Shoulder and is at the top of the bulletins. I suspect if he didn't cover it, it was due to the lack of a Newstalk presence at the sitting of the Court in Galway. There were at least two major criminal trials happening in Dublin today, at the CCJ.

Oh come on. The outcome of the case was up online on the courts website. They didn't need a reporter at the scene.

Radio programmes can easily cover breaking news as all they need is a mobile phone.

I suspect not covering Dennis O'Brien is an editorial decision, not some accident or because of a lack of resources.

Pat seems only too able to cover Trump incessantly, stories that have no relevance to us.

Newstalk doesn't allow critical discussion of DO'B. Look at Ciara Kelly, who let's listeners decide what's discussed on Fridays. How many times has she let a discussion on say O'Briens fondness for resorting to the courts to silence his critics take place? The findings of the Moriarty tribunal?
    And Joe Duffy?

I think the final report of the Moriarty Tribunal was about 8 years ago, it's as old as the Bailout.

It's historically important, but we probably don't hear about it on phone-in shows for the same reason we don't hear callers discussing the arrival of the IMF.

I agree, It is perfectly understandable., but it brings into question whether one person should own so much of the Irish media.

What does he own ? TV3 examiner newstalk

He's supposed to be a busted flush anyhow with this Carribbean thing

Lowry back in the dail and no one in jail

Tomhammer wrote: »
    He doesn't own TV3 (Virgin) or The Examiner.

He ultimately owns Newstalk and a few other stations; also The Indo and other national publications.

Tomhammer wrote: »

Largest shareholder in Independent News & Media - the Irish Independent, Sunday Independent, The Herald, Sunday World, Belfast Telegraph, Sunday Life and The Star. Thirteen weekly regional newspapers – which include the Drogheda Independent, Wexford People, The Kerrryman and The Sligo Champion . Plus, Newstalk, Today Fm, Dublin 98fm and Spin

He's forever in court seems to bully his way around

• Advertisement

Oh come on. The outcome of the case was up online on the courts website. They didn't need a reporter at the scene.
    It seems only to have been uploaded to the courts,ie website in the last two hours.

I searched for it earlier and it wasn't online. No judgment appears online for at least a few hours after it has been delivered in court.

If this were all some editorial conspiracy, I don't see why it would have been so prominent on Newstalk this evening, when (as far as I can recall) listenership is at its highest.

If this were all some editorial conspiracy, I don't see why it would have been so prominent on Newstalk this evening, when (as far as I can recall) listenership is at its highest.

If after this week, there's no mention of him, including during his Friday panel review thing.. then will you concede there is an editorial decision at play here?

How many times have you tried to start such a discussion?
    Would you be willing to go on air to discuss.

Ciara discusses topical items of the day but more in the social sciences/medical type arena than political.

If after this week, there's no mention of him, including during his Friday panel review thing.. then will you concede there is an editorial decision at play here?

Would you concede that given it was discussed on the Ivan Yates show that there is no top heavy influence to restrict discussion of the topic?

I

Yes, it was reported on, but not in the same way it would it if O'Brien wasn't involved. Since 1998 Denis O’Brien has taken out 70 separate legal actions against Irish journalists/media outlets. That has an affect.

Let's see if it comes up on the Friday Forum with Sean O'Rourke before we assume that this is a Newstalk problem.

Let's see if it comes up on the Friday Forum with Sean O'Rourke before we assume that this is a Newstalk problem.

Sean O'Rourke interviewed the two journalists at the centre of his defamation case on Monday and dealt with the supreme court judgement today.

Whilst RTE has it's issues, it does at least try to discuss Dennis O'Brien.

Would you concede that given it was discussed on the Ivan Yates show that there is no top heavy influence to restrict discussion of the topic?

I'm speaking about the Pat Kenny programme. It's the flagship day time political programme that has one of the most well known and respected broadcasters presenting it.

It would be nice if Pat could devote some attention to the rich and powerful in Ireland.

Sean O'Rourke interviewed the two journalists at the centre of his defamation case on Monday and dealt with the supreme court judgement today.

Whilst RTE has it's issues, it does at least try to discuss Dennis O'Brien.
    I heard that; great interview, well worth a listen back if anyone hasn't heard it.

But if Sean O'Rourke doesn't discuss this on his Friday Forum, will you concede that this isn't just a Newstalk problem (seeing as you've asked me to concede the alternative, that it is?)

• Advertisement

But if Sean O'Rourke doesn't discuss this on Friday, will you concede that this isn't just a Newstalk problem (seeing as you've asked me to concede the alternative, that it is?)

We're discussing Pat Kenny though? I've gone through the points already.

Advertisement