Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

We're discussing Pat Kenny though? I've gone through the points already.
    Yeah but you've suggested that this is a Newstalk problem.

If other broadcasters are behaving in the same manner, then that's a fairly significant hole in your theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If other broadcasters are behaving in the same manner, then that's a fairly significant hole in your theory.

I only mentioned the Pat Kenny programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It will be yesterday's news by then. If it happen on Thursday, say, yes I would be fairly confident would be part of the panel discussion.

I only mentioned the Pat Kenny programme.
    You brought up the Friday Panel on the PK Show.

The Sean O'Rourke Friday Forum seems as fair a comparison as exists.

You want me to say that it's a problem if not raised on the PK panel on Friday, but you're unwilling to concede if it's not mentioned on the Sean O'Rourke panel?

Tbh, I have serious concerns about how O'Brien is discussed in the Irish media, but by no means do I believe this is a Newstalk problem.

The Sean O'Rourke Friday Forum seems as fair a comparison as exists.

Again, I'm talking about the Pat Kenny programme.

• Advertisement

Again, I'm talking about the Pat Kenny programme.
    You're allowed mention other programmes here. Compare and contrast your expectations from RTE, if you expect your claims to be taken seriously.

Man I'm not even sure what you're on about.

Your defence of Pat Kenny at all costs just looks silly.

Man I'm not even sure what you're on about.

Your defence of Pat Kenny at all costs just looks silly.
    I'm not defending anyone, I've expressed my dissatisfaction with the nature of the coverage generally.

I'm just asking you to compare the programme with comparable programmes, which are totally independent of O'Brien; that's how we should determine whether there exists a specific bias.

Side-note: since I have been expressing opinions here, I'll be asking another mod to step in, and I won't be involved in moderating this discussion.

I'm just asking you to compare the programme with comparable programmes, which are totally independent of O'Brien; that's how we should determine whether there exists a specific bias.

Two slots this week on Sean O'Rourke. None on Kenny's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

DO'B losing his Supreme Court challenge is on the Newstalk website. It also featured prominently on bulletins and got top billing on The Hard Shoulder which is the most listened to show on the station. This does not point to Newstalk trying to brush it under the carpet.

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    DO'B losing his Supreme Court challenge is on the Newstalk website. It also featured prominently on bulletins and got top billing on The Hard Shoulder which is the most listened to show on the station. This does not point to Newstalk trying to brush it under the carpet.

Was there any opinion expressed by Ivan or by the guest, if there was one? I haven't heard it yet, but I suspect it was just bare bones reporting of the facts and no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomhammer

Ahwell wrote: »
    Was there any opinion expressed by Ivan or by the guest, if there was one? I haven't heard it yet, but I suspect it was just bare bones reporting of the facts and no more.

That would be my suspicion

isn't that always what happens?

Despite a previous statement by another contributor, I'm not defending NT here I'm lamenting that this is the status quo across all stations.

I would say it's quite cowardly, but then it isn't my neck on the line, figuratively speaking.

isn't that always what happens?

No, this is "NewsTalk, opinion-led radio". Ivan is hardly ever backwards in coming forward with an opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I have never heard anybody give an opinion about Denis O'Brien on radio or TV. I have read a few opinion pieces in various papers that ask questions about the Moriarty findings but that would be about it IIRC. SO'R would never give an opinion on Denis O'Brien, he is not that style of presenter.

To be fair, unless we are dealing in absolutes (fluff stories, stories of convicted killers, or convicted fraudsters) most presenters would shy away from giving opinions as they don't want their day in court either!

They are there to facilitate debate. The good ones anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just to point out that Pat did cover it. It broke during his programme and Frank Greaney reported in and they discussed the issue. I was busy at work so I have no idea how much they covered and what they discussed.

I have never heard anybody give an opinion about Denis O'Brien on radio or TV. I have read a few opinion pieces in various papers that ask questions about the Moriarty findings but that would be about it IIRC. SO'R would never give an opinion on Denis O'Brien, he is not that style of presenter.

RTE presenters never do give opinions. Newstalk wants opinion-led radio, that's their latest buzz phrase.

RTE presenters never do give opinions. Newstalk wants opinion-led radio, that's their latest buzz phrase.

If it was another businessman in the exact same situation Ivan still wouldn't comment on it or offer an opinion. DO'B was not on trial. He had an appeal dismissed by the Supreme Court. Nobody is going to go open-sesame over that.

If it was another businessman in the exact same situation Ivan still wouldn't comment on it or often an opinion.

I don't agree, particularly in today's case. I think he would of been more forthcoming in his opinions on Dáil privileges if someone else was involved. Both of these stories can be discussed in more depth without saying anything litigious. It is the the lack of depth I have an issue, not presenters opinions as such. I think Newstalk just do the bare minimum when O'Brien is the story. I'm saying this without having listened to it. It should be up on the website by now.

"Ahwell wrote: »
    I'm saying this without having listened to it. It should be up on the website by now.
    Pat Kenny's programmes are often not available online until the evening of his programme, or even the next day.

Similarly, Supreme Court judgments are only available online some hours after being delivered, or even some days later.

This really is not a conspiracy. It's been pointed out many times how prominent this story has been across Newstalk this evening.

• Advertisement

Pat Kenny's programmes are often not available online until the evening of his programme, or even the next day.

Similarly, Supreme Court judgments are only available online some hours after being delivered, or even some days later.

This really is not a conspiracy. It's been pointed out many times how prominent this story has been across Newstalk this evening.

I don't really want to repeat myself, I edited the post after you posted..
    Both of these stories can be discussed in more depth without saying anything litigious. It is the the lack of depth I have an issue with, not presenters opinions as such. I think Newstalk just do the bare minimum when O'Brien is the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sean O'Rourke interviewed the two journalists at the centre of his defamation case on Monday and dealt with the supreme court judgement today.

Whilst RTE has it's issues, it does at least try to discuss Dennis O'Brien.
    I'm speaking about the Pat Kenny programme. It's the flagship day time political programme that has one of the most well known and respected broadcasters presenting it.

It would be nice if Pat could devote some attention to the rich and powerful in Ireland.
    Two slots this week on Sean O'Rourke. None on Kenny's.

Were you lambasting the show without having listened to it to it enough to say it had not been covered given that it seems it was?
    meeeeh wrote: »
    Just to point out that Pat did cover it. It broke during his programme and Frank Greaney reported in and they discussed the issue. I was busy at work so I have no idea how much they covered and what they discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well anyway that's two down now.

How many more in the bag? DOB must have limitless resources (or a mega ego), to pursue all these things.

The irony is, that most things are forgotten in a week. Given the attention span of many these days.

For anybody that would like a listen, The Hard Shoulder is up on the NewsTalk website. Link: https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

It starts around 44 minutes in.

I don't agree, particularly in today's case. I think he would of been more forthcoming in his opinions on Dáil privileges if someone else was involved. Both of these stories can be discussed in more depth without saying anything litigious. It is the the lack of depth I have an issue, not presenters opinions as such. I think Newstalk just do the bare minimum when O'Brien is the story. I'm saying this without having listened to it. It should be up on the website by now.

Just had another listen to it to refresh. He had a Professor of Law on and they were going over the legalities of the case. Why DO'B failed and at one point the Prof said in his view that DO'B was never going to win this case. It was more an informative piece. Yates does those too. For a short segment they did quite well to cover all the bases of the Supreme Court ruling.

Yates did raise a valid point about innocent people being named under Dáil privilege and that is one that I would share. But that won't ever be for the Supreme Court to decide.

I still stand by what I said earlier. In a case like this, no matter who it was, Yates would not be putting forth an opinion. From what the Prof said on the show, the listener can weigh up his comments and mull over it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jail Privilege now is it?

people being named under jail privilege
    Freud says hello :pac:

Jail Privilege now is it?
    Freud says hello :pac:

Whoops! :pac:

But they are rarely shy of at the very least hinting what their bias might be.

• Advertisement

Tomhammer wrote: »
    He's forever in court seems to bully his way around

He certainly has the monetary means to take numerous legal actions we know, and is taking full advantage of that. However he does seem to absolutely genuinely value his good name, as I might do in certain of my own circumstance if only were I so awash with the readies. Your monetary assets are your good name in Ireland, which is another argument.

Advertisement