Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

BPKS wrote: »
    The piece started off outlining a call from some cycling body for increased enforcement of the laws by the Gardai after the death of a cyclist between Skibbereen and Leap in County Cork.

The whole conversation centred on Renalagh, The Quays, The Four Courts, breaking red lights and so on.

It seemed grossly inappropriate to have this conversation, which was prompted by the death of a cyclist in rural County Cork - and we dont know the circumstances of exactly what happened - just so Kenny could give out about red light breaking cyclists and the Green Party lad could give out about the lack of cycle lanes etc.

I thought Kenny was more professional than that.
    Going back to his RTE days, I've always thought that Pat was very Dublin-centric - to the extent of discussing certain Dublin-related topics that would be more suitable to local radio than a national station.

serfboard wrote: »
    Going back to his RTE days, I've always thought that Pat was very Dublin-centric - to the extent of discussing certain Dublin-related topics that would be more suitable to local radio than a national station.
    in fairness -- and I say this as a culchie, although living in Dublin -- almost half of the population lives in the Greater Dublin Area, and probably over half the population in terms of young people and those of working age.

Aside from population, Dublin is the commercial and political centre of the country. We could easily change this -- it would be helpful to separate the commercial centre of the island from its political centre -- but as things stand, a focus on Dublin is entirely natural and to be expected.

Nobody can seriously be suggesting that West Clare or Corca Dhuibhne ought to enjoy the same coverage as Dublin issues, given the massive population, economic and political disparities that exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

in fairness -- and I say this as a culchie, although living in Dublin -- almost half of the population lives in the Greater Dublin Area, and probably over half the population in terms of young people and those of working age.

Aside from population, Dublin is the commercial and political centre of the country. We could easily change this -- it would be helpful to separate the commercial centre of the island from its political centre -- but as things stand, a focus on Dublin is entirely natural and to be expected.

Nobody can seriously be suggesting that West Clare or Corca Dhuibhne ought to enjoy the same coverage as Dublin issues, given the massive population, economic and political disparities that exist.

Definitely not the same coverage but the case above is about an critical incident which occurred in the south west of Cork and yet the conversation centred around cycling in Dublin.

Primary amount of attention on Dublin? Yes.
    Every topic discussed in relation to how it affects Dublin? No.

I can't see it changing but it is far from ideal the way we have gone with circa 33% of the population living in 1.5% of the area of the country.

Rant alert -
    I'd much rather we put a stay on Dublin development until (within reason) such time as we have put serious effort in to other areas. (I do realise how draconian that sounds but to give an example, we have Cork and Shannon airports underutilised while people living in those regions still frequently travel to Dublin for flights.)
    We are now seeing a second runway built in Dublin. I would rather see the money going in to the second runway being diverted to optimise the use of the other airports but that is probably impossible now with airports now operating as separate entities.
    Rant/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Definitely not the same coverage but the case above is about an critical incident which occurred in the south west of Cork and yet the conversation centred around cycling in Dublin.

The original point of the poster was more about the insensitivity of blaming cyclists after the death of one in Cork.

I don't think the poster was making it a Dublin rural thing.

I listened to the debate and the subsequent texts Pat read out. Totally insensitive and as usual anti cyclist. Pat has a funny way now of not blatantly saying what he thinks but is happy to read out the vile texts he receives as a cover for what he actually believes.

Having more people cycling is good thing for everyone, cyclists and drivers. I can't understand the anti cyclist thing. Who cares if they break red lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Uncharted wrote: »
    Pats guest, (apologies iv forgotten his name )the retired doctor, regaling us with tales of his many travels,was utterly fascinating.

Ill certainly be buying his book.

Really enthralling and a great speaker.
    Excellent radio.

I thought it was a bit too gory for that time of the morning.

Tales of amputating hands with minimum anesthetic and "Satan babies" being left to die before ten in the morning without prior warning as to the content?

No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

a focus on Dublin is entirely natural and to be expected.
    I thought someone would say this, which is why I said:
    serfboard wrote: »
    certain Dublin-related topics
    Of course it's natural that we would be discussing events happening in Dublin, but my criticism remains that Pat tends to highlight certain items to the extent of making it parochial.

The switching of the focus to cycling in Dublin (specifically), as a result of the death of a cyclist in Cork is a good example of what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I thought it was a bit too gory for that time of the morning.

Tales of amputating hands with minimum anesthetic and "Satan babies" being left to die before ten in the morning without prior warning as to the content?

No thanks.

You're entitled to your opinion. No problem at all. To be fair,the gentleman was a doctor with decades of experience in some of the most impoverished places on Earth. His patients were not turning up with nosebleeds and migraines. They were suffering from gangrene and malaria and starvation in a war torn country.

Grey's anatomy,or Holby City,this ain't. :rolleyes:

Primary amount of attention on Dublin? Yes.
    Every topic discussed in relation to how it affects Dublin? No.
    don't think this is aimed at you, because it isn't, but I honestly can't decide whether I'm a bit biased because I live in Dublin or other people sometimes exaggerate the bias, bearing some odd kind of chip on on their shoulder?

I actually really mean that when I said it wasn't aimed at you, it's something I do notice with particular reference to Cork "vs" Dublin discussions. I just really couldn't care less whether the focus is on Dublin or Cork in any particular discussion and I really doubt it matters.

Your points about preferential development of infrastructure outside of Dublin is, nevertheless, important and I fully agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Wasn't the conversation about traffic lights because they recently announced cameras at some junctions to catch people going through red lights. And that always leads to what about cyclists. There is very little that can be discussed about the incident for obvious reasons.

don't think this is aimed at you, because it isn't, but I honestly can't decide whether I'm a bit biased because I live in Dublin or other people sometimes exaggerate the bias, bearing some odd kind of chip on on their shoulder?

I actually really mean that when I said it wasn't aimed at you, it's something I do notice with particular reference to Cork "vs" Dublin discussions. I just really couldn't care less whether the focus is on Dublin or Cork in any particular discussion and I really doubt it matters.

Your points about preferential development of infrastructure outside of Dublin is, nevertheless, important and I fully agree with that.

No. That's fine, and I cannot answer whether I exaggerate the bias or not. I perceive it, but maybe that in itself is because I am looking for it.

Dublin has the largest group of people so should be in a lot of conversations but it is still the case that most people in the country do not live there and so for a national station to seemingly focus on it so much is a bit grating.

However, I think the source of my issue with this is because we constantly talk about fixing issues with Dublin which, if other locations were treated appropriately, maybe such issues would not exist to the extent which they seem to now.
    For example, traffic is a constant discussion. And housing. If the population of the country was dispersed more evenly, I think it would be in the national interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The original point of the poster was more about the insensitivity of blaming cyclists after the death of one in Cork.

I don't think the poster was making it a Dublin rural thing.

I listened to the debate and the subsequent texts Pat read out. Totally insensitive and as usual anti cyclist. Pat has a funny way now of not blatantly saying what he thinks but is happy to read out the vile texts he receives as a cover for what he actually believes.

Having more people cycling is good thing for everyone, cyclists and drivers. I can't understand the anti cyclist thing. Who cares if they break red lights?

Actually you read my post wrong.

The cycling group used the death of the cyclist in West Cork (without knowing the circumstances) as a reason to have a go at the Gardai for lack of enforcement of the 1.5m rule.

This prompted the discussion on the Pat Kenny Show on Monday morning.

Which led to Pat Kenny giving out about red light breakers, Green Party man giving out about lack of infrastructure for cyclists in Dublin and the journalist, in fairness, trying to give a fair representation of the issues he sees in Dublin involving poor cycling practices, poor driving and poor infrastructure.

Not once, after they intro'd the piece by saying "the death of a cyclist has led to such and such cycling group asking for better Garda enforcement....." did they mention anything about the accident. They hijacked the accident so Green Party man could have his rant about Dublin cycling issues and Kenny have his rant on cyclists.

And to go to the rural/urban covering of topics, this was a good example. I have travelled that road on numerous occasions and I can almost guarantee 100% that this sad accident was nothing to do with red light breakers, poor infrastructure, HGVs turning left, a junction on the Quays or some cycling lane in Renalagh. (Yes, the contributor did say Ren....).

HEALY ALERT !!!!

HEALY ALERT !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Melodeon

HEALY ALERT !!!!

HEALY ALERT !!!!

Looks like it's internet time until Sean O'Rourke comes on RTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭storker

1. Pedestrians
    2. The drivers who might hit them

HEALY ALERT !!!!

HEALY ALERT !!!!

Thanks. Enjoy him when he is on. No Pat but still a good listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks like they've caught a live one out in the open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

kneemos wrote: »
    Looks like they've caught a live one out in the open.

What's this about? Turned it off for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What's this about? Turned it off for a while

An exorcist.

Yeah,really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

kneemos wrote: »
    An exorcist.

Yeah,really.

Oh, sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Ask you texters how many of them have any time for you, Jonathan? I'd say that you will find more of them have time for Father Pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭storker

Melodeon wrote: »
    Looks like it's internet time until Sean O'Rourke comes on RTE!

Every so often when Healy is on the realisation that I agree about something with him cuts through my dislike of him.

And it's nice to get a break from Pat's obsession with Trump, when his rationality for becomes blinded by his sense of self-righteousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Jesus H Christ but that Healy is some pain in the hole.

He keeps trying to be funny in his interview with yer man from the Guinness Storehouse and each quip is even less funny that the one before.

BPKS wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ but that Healy is some pain in the hole.

He keeps trying to be funny in his interview with yer man from the Guinness Storehouse and each quip is even less funny that the one before.

One of the worst current radio presenters in Ireland.

Zero likeability and a woeful smug,cute Cark hoor tone.

Cancer to the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

One of the worst current radio presenters in Ireland. Zero likeability and a woeful smug,cute Cark hoor tone. Cancer to the ears.

I think the biggest criticism of Healy is that he has lost all the jobs he had in Newstalk because of his personality and yet he has refused to change. As Einstein said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and still being a smug, facetious, sarcastic pain in the face". Well something like that.

I think the biggest criticism of Healy is that he has lost all the jobs he had in Newstalk because of his personality and yet he has refused to change. As Einstein said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and still being a smug, facetious, sarcastic pain in the face". Well something like that.

Do you not realise NT are the ones still giving him work?

If he was as bad as some say, surely they'd have cut all contact.

storker wrote:
    1. Pedestrians 2. The drivers who might hit them

When it's safe, I don't see the issue of cyclists breaking the lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Healy has a communications business, and a law degree, he will be ok.

https://www.healycommunications.ie/about-healy-communications/

When it's safe, I don't see the issue of cyclists breaking the lights.

Could the same not be said for motorists breaking lights as well though?

I know the risk (probability x severity) is greater with a motorist but in the interest of adhering to the law, cyclists should follow it.

(I say this as a cyclist who was knocked off my bike a few months ago which I am still recovering from)

Could the same not be said for motorists breaking lights as well though?

Yes, other countries allow drivers to go through red lights when turning left, or is it right. I forget. Once it's safe to do so.

• Advertisement

Yes, other countries allow drivers to go through red lights when turning left, or is it right. I forget. Once it's safe to do so.

The US allows turning right (with flow of traffic) on red at some junctions nut, that is the law and is signposted so it is acceptable, not that we just decide collectively here that a law should not be adhered to .

Advertisement