Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Across the dial the half dozen or so untouchables are replaced by another half dozen.
    No place for young graduates whose parents have grafted on a fraction of the wage these untouchables command.
    Closed shops.
    Sicken your hole they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Uncharted wrote: »
    Healy has neither the personality, quality, high profile or mic presence to attempt fill the void left by PK.

Healy is an also ran.

A nothing. A wannabe. A vacuously smug,self absorbed,ego-centric spoofer.

The sooner the better PK returns.

You obviously have a dislike of Jonathan and everyone is entitled to an opinion, but none of the above seems to be based in reality.

He has a law degree, he has 20 years experience working in the media including time as a correspondent with Sky News and extensive work with Newstalk. He is running his own communications company.

At the very least that puts him at more than being described as a nothing or a wannabe.

mattser wrote: »
    Across the dial the half dozen or so untouchables are replaced by another half dozen.
    No place for young graduates whose parents have grafted on a fraction of the wage these untouchables command.
    Closed shops.
    Sicken your hole they would.

Pat Kenny's father was a Zoo Keeper in Dublin zoo. Hardly would have been on big money I'd imagine.
    Ivan Yates father was a wool merchant and Ivan took over the farm for 3 years before going in to politics. Again, fairly inauspicious beginnings I think.

Andrea Gilligan, Jess Kelly, Joe Molloy, Susan Cahill, to mention just a few, started in Newstalk as researchers on various other shows or on other stations before getting their own shows with varying degrees of success.

Kieran Cuddihy and Gavin Reily are two more fairly young people who have recently been given full time roles on the station.
    Not to mention the other Off the ball presenters, including those now on Second Captains or on Joe.ie with their own shows who got their early opportunity with the station.

I don't know what you think should happen, someone comes out of a 3 year media studies degree and gets the 09:00-12:00 slot on a national station?
    How reasonable is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

You obviously have a dislike of Jonathan and everyone is entitled to an opinion, but none of the above seems to be based in reality.

He has a law degree, he has 20 years experience working in the media including time as a correspondent with Sky News and extensive work with Newstalk. He is running his own communications company.

At the very least that puts him at more than being described as a nothing or a wannabe.

Not wanting to cross swords here TMH,but all of his attributes you mentioned don't make a good presenter.
    His law degree is utterly irrelevant, as is the issue of running his own business.
    As for his Sky news work,that's laughable. Since when was Sky news lauded as a benchmark??

2 words... Kay Burley :rolleyes:

In fact none of the above is worth a sh1te when the most basic presenting skill of all is absent.

Likeability.

He doesn't have it. Never will.

I know it's subjective but he's not the kinda guy I want to listen to. I cannot abide him as a presenter,worse than Ciara Kelly,and that's saying something! All in my opinion of course.

His law degree is utterly irrelevant, as is the issue of running his own business.
    Not at all, it shows someone who has a certain level of capability to become well educated and to run a business. Relevant in terms of having a certain gravitas when discussing current affairs as presenting is more than just speaking when the red light is on.
    As for his Sky news work,that's laughable. Since when was Sky news lauded as a benchmark??

You could say the same about any media outlet and be both right and wrong. Sky has been recently lauded for its coverage of Brexit. BBC has been castigated. You'll find equal proportion of advocates and denouncers for each of BBC/ITV/CH4/Sky.
    2 words... Kay Burley :rolleyes:
    2 more - Faisal Islam. Very highly respected (granted left Sky last week to go to BBC)

Likeability.

He doesn't have it. Never will.

I know it's subjective but he's not the kinda guy I want to listen to. I cannot abide him as a presenter,worse than Ciara Kelly,and that's saying something! All in my opinion of course.

And this is the part, which, while subjective, I think there is still little evidence to support your view given he has gotten and still managed to get work in the media. As with Ciara, disliking someone personally does not mean that they are entirely unlikable and given that they continue to get work, we can assume more like them than dislike them.

Whey else would NT hire them? They hardly want to lose listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

An excellent post TMH. Credit where it's due.

Pat Kenny's father was a Zoo Keeper in Dublin zoo. Hardly would have been on big money I'd imagine.
    Ivan Yates father was a wool merchant and Ivan took over the farm for 3 years before going in to politics. Again, fairly inauspicious beginnings I think.

Andrea Gilligan, Jess Kelly, Joe Molloy, Susan Cahill
    , to mention just a few, started in Newstalk as researchers on various other shows or on other stations before getting their own shows with varying degrees of success.

Kieran Cuddihy and Gavin Reily are two more fairly young people who have recently been given full time roles on the station.
    Not to mention the other Off the ball presenters, including those now on Second Captains or on Joe.ie with their own shows who got their early opportunity with the station.

I don't know what you think should happen, someone comes out of a 3 year media studies degree and gets the 09:00-12:00 slot on a national station?
    How reasonable is that?

Heard of 1 or 2 of them. The untouchables and their stand ins rule the roost though.
    Don't try and tell me there aren't any young graduates out there who could do a 3 hour stint. They could fill an hour at least, dissing President Trump if they chose. Somehow I think they would be above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

As with Ciara, disliking someone personally does not mean that they are entirely unlikable and given that they continue to get work, we can assume more like them than dislike them. Whey else would NT hire them? They hardly want to lose listeners.

With regard to Newstalk hiring/firing policy, it seems that having the "right opinions" seems to take precedence over actually being good at the job or being likeable. They may as well add the line "Only bleeding hearts may apply" at the bottom of their job advertisements at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

With regard to Newstalk hiring/firing policy, it seems that having the "right opinions" seems to take precedence over actually being good at the job or being likeable. They may as well add the line "Only bleeding hearts may apply" at the bottom of their job advertisements at this stage.

Why do people still trot this out?

Have you ever heard Ivan Yates?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why do people still trot this out? Have you ever heard Ivan Yates?

I don't know why people coming back with Yates as being a conservative voice. He is a professional troll. Read his book, this is what he does, it was a decision he made about how he would host his show. None of those are his actual opinions, he is just playing the devils advocate to the power of ten.

Outside of Yates, who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Was listening to the show whilst driving home from the wesht this morning. Did anyone catch the name of the book, and the author that pat was interviewing, I know it was recorded and yet man was a doctor. Sounds like an interesting book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I don't know why people coming back with Yates as being a conservative voice. He is a professional troll. Read his book, this is what he does, it was a decision he made about how he would host his show. None of those are his actual opinions, he is just playing the devils advocate to the power of ten.

Outside of Yates, who?

Because conservative shoite is bat **** crazy.

Just focus on the immigrants dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Outside of Yates, who?

That was pretty obvious when he didn't back George Hook during the disgraceful bullying by the rest of the Newstalk crowd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Was listening to the show whilst driving home from the wesht this morning. Did anyone catch the name of the book, and the author that pat was interviewing, I know it was recorded and yet man was a doctor. Sounds like an interesting book.

Dr Dom Colbert. The book is called Biafra to Bosnia: No Tears Left.

I heard that interview this morning, it was fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mzungu wrote: »
    Dr Dom Colbert. The book is called Biafra to Bosnia: No Tears Left.

I heard that interview this morning, it was fascinating stuff.

Many thanks. Yes he has a very interesting and diverse history. A good person . I'll try and get the book for Mrs O this week.
    Again
    Thank You.

Outside of Yates, who?

George Hook for 10 plus years.
    Paul Williams for couple years on Breakfast.
    And yes, Yates is a conservative voice. He does provacate well but his inclination is very much conservative.

Who do RTE have who you would consider serves a conservative role in a way that Newstalk doesn't, or Today FM either for that matter?

I think maybe Niall Boylan is what you are looking for. He is already on a national station should you choose to listen.

Heard of 1 or 2 of them. The untouchables and their stand ins rule the roost though.
    Don't try and tell me there aren't any young graduates out there who could do a 3 hour stint. They could fill an hour at least, dissing President Trump if they chose. Somehow I think they would be above that.

They'd be above discussing one of the most significant current affairs stories of the present day?
    What would they discuss instead as host of a national current affairs program?

Also, your point that you haven't heard of young graduates who have gotten their own shows on the station shows the station is doing what you want, you just aren't seeing it. Or choosing to ignore it might be more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No idea how you become a presenter,being a young graduate seems like the worst option.
    A couple of them have law degrees,a doctor,Moncrieff was in TV,Yates came from nowhere,Tom Dunne...etc.

Newstalk at least constantly change their presenters and programmes,the opposition haven't changed their lineup since 1964.

kneemos wrote: »
    No idea how you become a presenter,being a young graduate seems like the worst option.
    A couple of them have law degrees,a doctor,Moncrieff was in TV,Yates came from nowhere,Tom Dunne...etc.

Newstalk at least constantly change their presenters and programmes,the opposition haven't changed their lineup since 1964.

Ah they're completely shameless.

George Hook for 10 plus years.Paul Williams for couple years on Breakfast. And yes, Yates is a conservative voice. He does provacate well but his inclination is very much conservative.

If you consider Yates a conservative voice, then you may as well say that Statler And Waldorff from the Muppet Show are serious right wing commentators.

315px-StatlerandWaldorf%282%29.JPG

Though I must admit the one on the right does look a lot like George Hook.

• Advertisement

If you consider Yates a conservative voice, then you may as well say that Statler And Waldorff from the Muppet Show are serious right wing commentators.

You never answered the question of who you consider to be right wing on Irish National Radio.

You never answered the question of who you consider to be right wing on Irish National Radio.

Yeah but what is considered "right" in this country is somebody just asking some straight questions. Particularly when it comes to asking straight questions of anybody who does have questions to answer BUT is a member of a minority group.

I think Niall Boylan and Neil Prendeville are good at asking the straight questions. I would not consider them right wing, even though they are portrayed as such. I would consider them just not hamstrung by political correctness. Neil Prendeville's interview with Ibrahim Halawa was particularly good. Just answered the questions of Halawa that everybody was asking.

It seems asking the same tough questions of every person, not giving reverence to the fact that the person is Muslim / Gay / Female / Migrant/ some minority, is now considered right wing. I don't know of any mainstream radio or TV presenter who is calling for the borders to be closed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

George Hook for 10 plus years.
    Paul Williams for couple years on Breakfast.
    And yes, Yates is a conservative voice. He does provacate well but his inclination is very much conservative.

Who do RTE have who you would consider serves a conservative role in a way that Newstalk doesn't, or Today FM either for that matter?

I think maybe Niall Boylan is what you are looking for. He is already on a national station should you choose to listen.

Paul Williams isn't anything but a garda shill, he has no ideology other than spinning for AGS, that's where he starts and ends

Hook is a contrarian windbag, I don't believe he is a Conservative, he is all for big government largesse when it comes to goodies for the elderly

315px-StatlerandWaldorf%282%29.JPG

Yates is critical of buying off public sector unions, he is a small government advocate for the most part

He is an insufferable bleeding heart, pants wetting uber PC, dime a dozen liberal gormless hack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

This is nonsense. Before Hook imploded and they finally came to their senses about how ****e Paul Williams was as a radio presenter, this was their line up..

Williams & Coleman
    Kenny
    Hook
    Moncrieff
    Yates

That's the line up Newstalk Management wanted. The only one with left-of-centre views in that list is Moncrieff. Coleman, Kenny and Yates would be liberal on a lot social issues but are fiscally conservative. Hook became an archconservative overnight. Williams was just a clown.

Ahwell wrote: »
    This is nonsense. Before Hook imploded and they finally came to their senses about how ****e Paul Williams was as a radio presenter, this was their line up..

Williams & Coleman
    Kenny
    Hook
    Moncrieff
    Yates

Williams and Hook are no longer on the schedule so are irrelevant. And if you are calling Moncrieff a conservative then you're just not taking the thing seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Williams and Hook are no longer on the schedule so are irrelevant. And if you are calling Moncrieff a conservative then you're just not taking the thing seriously.

Eh...someone with "left-of-centre views", kind of by definition, is not a conservative.

Hook and Williams were part of plan, Kelly and Cuddihy were reactions to that plan not working. Advertisers were starting to pull ads from The High Noon. Williams was a ratings Killer for the Breakfast Show whose contract was up. They needed replacements and they needed them quick. Kelly and Cuddihy were there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Ahwell wrote: »
    Eh...someone with "left-of-centre views", kind of by definition, is not a conservative.

Hook and Williams were part of plan, Kelly and Cuddihy were reactions to that plan not working. Advertisers were starting to pull ads from The High Noon. Williams was a ratings Killer for the Breakfast Show whose contract was up. They needed replacements and they needed them quick. Kelly and Cuddihy were there.

Wake up, the only 'policy' of Newstalk is to get as many of the listeners to text them, at €0.30 a time, I wonder how much that generates? Just count how many times a day they encourage texts.

• Advertisement

BarryM wrote: »
    Wake up, the only 'policy' of Newstalk is to get as many of the listeners to text them, at €0.30 a time, I wonder how much that generates? Just count how many times a day they encourage texts.

All radio stations do the same, I think it is more to encourage participation and so can they can indicate reach to potential advertisers more so than any money from the actual texting.

And, they tell people that they can tweet, email or message on Facebook as well which are all virtually free.

Advertisement