Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

BarryM wrote: »
    Wake up, the only 'policy' of Newstalk is to get as many of the listeners to text them, at €0.30 a time, I wonder how much that generates? Just count how many times a day they encourage texts.

It's €0.30 as you say. Government take 23% VAT so €0.24 remaining to split.

That €0.24 split between the mobile operator (e.g. vodafone), the tech provider (e.g. Zamano) and Newstalk. Long time since I looked at this but I think the operators take about 30%, the tech providers 10%. So let's say Newstalk are getting 60%, of that about €0.15. There are also flat fees to rent the 53106 number.
    Pat Kenny gets about 150k listeners (presumably that's anybody that listens across the 2 hours). If 5% enter the competition/text the show then the show gets about €1k (that's 7,500 people texting the show, sounds really high).

Communicorp make about €50m per year in revenues. They've been in poor shape over last few years so maybe every penny counts.

What the SMS might be useful for is to show advertisers that you have an engaged audience with money in their pocket. And with that you can charge higher advertising rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's €0.30 as you say. Government take 23% VAT so €0.24 remaining to split.

That €0.24 split between the mobile operator (e.g. vodafone), the tech provider (e.g. Zamano) and Newstalk. Long time since I looked at this but I think the operators take about 30%, the tech providers 10%. So let's say Newstalk are getting 60%, of that about €0.15. There are also flat fees to rent the 53106 number.
    Pat Kenny gets about 150k listeners (presumably that's anybody that listens across the 2 hours). If 5% enter the competition/text the show then the show gets about €1k (that's 7,500 people texting the show, sounds really high).

Communicorp make about €50m per year in revenues. They've been in poor shape over last few years so maybe every penny counts.

What the SMS might be useful for is to show advertisers that you have an engaged audience with money in their pocket. And with that you can charge higher advertising rates.

It might just be what it says on the tin... getting listeners opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

kneemos wrote: »
    It might just be what it says on the tin... getting listeners opinions.

Of course, but €50m annually is Communicorp's total turnover, anybody like to guess the nett?? If they get (say) €1000 and hour overall, or even half that, from SMS, plus the advertising income, they are probably just treading water.

I see from today's news that the Indo will lose money on the sale of the business.

I still think that a driver of Newstalks's business is to push texts.

Of course, but €50m annually is Communicorp's total turnover, anybody like to guess the nett?? If they get (say) €1000 and hour overall, or even half that, from SMS, plus the advertising income, they are probably just treading water.

I see from today's news that the Indo will lose money on the sale of the business.

I still think that a driver of Newstalks's business is to push texts.

Even five hundred per hour over ten hours is getting on for two million per year.

Mystery solved.

Even five hundred per hour over ten hours is getting on for two million per year.

500 per hour x 10 hours x €0.15 per message x 365 days = €267,000

Not sure where you are getting two million from?

And I think 500 per hour every day for 10 hours, 356 days a year is way off.

• Advertisement

You don't have to guess it's well reported as I mentioned above they are in poor shape, have been losing money for ages, although look like they are righting the ship.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/revenue-up-costs-down-at-communicorp-37560626.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wonder how many texts they are sent? My guess is that they get 10-20 per hour at best, unless something really exercises the listeners. The ones who don't tweet, that is.

I wonder how many texts they are sent? My guess is that they get 10-20 per hour at best, unless something really exercises the listeners. The ones who don't tweet, that is.
    It's almost certainly in the dozens, not the hundreds. The idea that Newstalk could be getting 500 texts per hour, for ten hours a day, is just daft.

And even then, as PMan has shown, it wouldn't be a significant source of revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

500 per hour x 10 hours x €0.15 per message x 365 days = €267,000
    Sorry to be pedantic, but it's actually €273,750 ;)
    And I think 500 per hour every day for 10 hours, 356 days a year is way off.
    Way, way off. That's 5000 texts per ten-hour day? A text every 7 seconds, all day?

Even if that hourly number was anywhere near correct, that would only be for the weekday shows which would make it 500 X 10 X 260 X €0.15 = €195,000.

And it would be way less during holiday time.

500 paid texts per day, would make it less than €20K per annum. And it's probably not even that.

Emm, no. That's what the JNLRs are for.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Emm, no. That's what the JNLRs are for.
    Well, yes and no. There are, of course, degrees of engagement. If broadcasters can show higher rates of active engagement than their competitors, that's obviously very attractive to prospective sponsors and advertisers.

If you were advertising widgets to members of the public, you'd obviously be very keen to differentiate passive listeners from active listeners.

Well, yes and no. There are, of course, degrees of engagement. If broadcasters can show higher rates of active engagement than their competitors, that's obviously very attractive to prospective sponsors and advertisers.

If you were advertising widgets to members of the public, you'd obviously be very keen to differentiate passive listeners from active listeners.
    I can't imagine that the tiny dribble of listeners who text in would be used by any radio station in the context of overall numbers.

And besides, the JNLRs are broken into Reach and Market Share - Market Share measuring the depth of listening to a station.

I get your point about listener engagement, but do you know for a fact that stations are showing the amounts of texters to advertisers? I'd guess that if non-JLNR listener engagement numbers are being used at all, it would be more likely to be social media likes and followers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I can't imagine that the tiny dribble of listeners who text in would be used by any radio station in the context of overall numbers.

And besides, the JNLRs are broken into Reach and Market Share - Market Share measuring the depth of listening to a station.

I get your point about listener engagement, but do you know for a fact that stations are showing the amounts of texters to advertisers? I'd guess that if non-JLNR listener engagement numbers are being used at all, it would be more likely to be social media likes and followers.

I think, but I could be wrong that the numbers are far from a tiny dribble.

I heard once, not sure if it was Ivan or Pat say to someone that they had received over 500 texts on a particular topic since the show began.

Think it might have been around the time the nurses were striking.

Granted, that was a particularly lively topic but even so, he didn't comment that it was double their normal rate or ten times it or anything like that.

I think, but I could be wrong that the numbers are far from a tiny dribble.

I occasionally text in and I'm surprised how often one of them is read out. This is either because:
    1. I'm soooooo insighful
    2. they don't have many texts to pick from

That's anecdotal granted and doesn't factor in the competition texts but I don't think Dinny is going to make back his Indo losses from SMS fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

The turnover, as I said, is for Communicorp, not just Newstalk. I was referring to Newstalk's nett.

BTW, I wonder if the O'B owned appliances direct pay the same as other advertisers.....??

UK commentator on this morning discussing Gavin Williamson's firing. Pat mentioned his replacement and said how May might still have a problem with him. Pat was still talking about Williamson in some context but the commentator misunderstood and said Pat would get in trouble for saying 'him' as Penny Mordant had been appointed as Williamson's replacement and he should have said 'her'. Pat explained and they carried on.

2 minutes later Pat was reading out texts and the first one he read was from someone picking up on the guest referring to Mordant as a firey blonde and said men would not be referred to as stubborn brunettes for example. The gugest kindof meekly clarified his comment.

I think Pat may have picked that text given how the guest had tried to call him on being un-pc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,485 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ISo let's say Newstalk are getting 60%, of that about €0.15.

Try €0.03/0.04 these days. There's a reason most stations have gone back to normal text numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Most stations have normal numbers and even use WhatsApp for messaging which is a far better way to get people to engage with a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I get the impression a lot of the texts are written by the researchers. Montcrieff programme has so many texts it seems not believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Latest JNLR Radio figures ;

Pat Kenny ..............up 2,000 to 150,000

Sean O' Rourke.......up 27,000 to 322,000

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »

People have no standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

People have no standards.

Resonant of the remarks about Brexit or Trump voters :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Very impressive increase

honeybear wrote: »
    Very impressive increase

By Sean, yes. It obviously doesn't pay to keep harping on about President Trump ad nauseam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Don't buy these jnlr figures at all

By Sean, yes. It obviously doesn't pay to keep harping on about President Trump ad nauseam.

Pat increased his listenership. So, whatever it is he has been doing, is appealing to more people than it was in the past.

Pat increased his listenership. So, whatever it is he has been doing, is appealing to more people than it was in the past.

1% increase V 9% increase. I've a fair idea where the bulk of Sean's 27,000 might have come from, and why.

1% increase V 9% increase. I've a fair idea where the bulk of Sean's 27,000 might have come from, and why.

Do you? Because if they came from NT, then it means that Pat increased his number of new listeners beyond the 1% you mention given the 2k overall increase.

You hate him. Fine. And yet you still seem to listen and post here about him. That's more than a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Surely the reason they use texts is for content. It's easy filler and shows the listener that they're engaging with them

• Advertisement

Do you? Because if they came from NT, then it means that Pat increased his number of new listeners beyond the 1% you mention given the 2k overall increase.

You hate him. Fine. And yet you still seem to listen and post here about him. That's more than a bit odd.

Ah c'mon now TMH, I never said that. I don't hate anybody.

Advertisement