Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Hilarious! Pat complaining about schools taking extra day, hes off every other week!

No he's not.

He's probably on half the holidays he was on when he worked in RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

BPKS wrote:
    He's probably on half the holidays he was on when he worked in RTE

Defo not, hes away much more now, I'm listening to him about 20 years and he was never away that much on rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Defo not, hes away much more now, I'm listening to him about 20 years and he was never away that much on rte.

What has Pat's time off got to do with school closures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

meeeeh wrote: »
    Pat does some stuff on the side and he is in his seventies. For an old age pensioner he is doing ok. It is stupid for schools to close because of election, it inconveniences whole pile of people. (My kids are happy though).
    Maybe the voting day should be on a Sunday like they do in many other countries.

I'm going through the joys of house hunting. I had to turn off the radio when they were discussing house prices. Depressing as it is already, didn't need to hear about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

How did you recognize they had cracked a joke on white walkers if it flew over your head?

The guy ended up explaining it to Pat. Killed his nerdish moment of humour stone dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Why does Pat keep inviting Edwina Curry on the Brexit/UK politics person ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

jogdish wrote: »

Egg-zactly what I was thinking.;)

Because she's entertaining and provides a useful insight into the Brexiteer mindset (even though she probably doesn't believe anything she says)?

I'd put her up there as one of the best contributors to the PK Show, after Prof. Luke O'Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Because she is radio gold. Has just enough standing to be considered knowledgeable on UK politics while also holding imperialist desires and being confident enough to say what she us actually thinking on a radio station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Predicting a big ship would sink back then hardly supernatural!

• Advertisement

Predicting a big ship would sink back then hardly supernatural!

Ah now, it was a lot more than that (although of course, not supernatural.

The (fictitious) Titan, which preceded the Titanic, not only shared a similar name, as well as being described as The Unsinkable, but was similarly built, and both sank after striking an iceberg on the Starboard side on a night in April, both in the North Atlantic 400 nautical miles from Terranova Newfoundland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck_of_the_Titan:_Or,_Futility#Similarities_to_the_Titanic

As the author remarked, some of it can be explained by similarities in shipbuilding. And maybe the designers of the Titanic had even read the earlier novella. But that part only explains similarities in design; it's still a remarkable coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Because she's entertaining and provides a useful insight into the Brexiteer mindset (even though she probably doesn't believe anything she says)?
    I normally don't pay that much attention to what she says, but I listened to her the last day she was on. She complained about everything Brexit-related, and what a terrible job Teresa May was doing, but when asked who she wanted instead she was completely non-committal.

So she can't be held to account later, you see.

A real hurler on the ditch.

serfboard wrote: »
    I normally don't pay that much attention to what she says, but I listened to her the last day she was on. She complained about everything Brexit-related, and what a terrible job Teresa May was doing, but when asked who she wanted instead she was completely non-committal.

So she can't be held to account later, you see.

A real hurler on the ditch.
    I'm not sure whether Currie sees herself as an emissary of the FCO; or as an actor, playing the role of some controversial and rambunctious Member of the 1922 Committee; or whether simply a patriot, trying to remain optimistic. Either way, I suspect when she goes home in the evening and speaks to her cats, those cats are given quite a different opinion on Brexit and the UK Government.

Newstalk aren't hiring Currie to provide yet-another vaguely patronising opposition to Brexit. No, that's what the Irish media and John Lichfield exist for. They hire Currie to provide a vaguely patronising argument in delirious support of the overall direction the UK is taking. Well, at least it's entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Newstalk aren't hiring Currie to provide yet-another vaguely patronising opposition to Brexit. No, that's what the Irish media and John Lichfield exist for. They hire Currie to provide a vaguely patronising argument in delirious support of the overall direction the UK is taking. Well, at least it's entertaining.
    Ah yeah, but you can take your pick from the endless list of clueless Tory twits.

Including Andrew Bridgen, MP, the guy who said that every English person is entitled to an irish passport ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

"There'll be a lot of hungover hairdressers tomorrow"

:D:D:D

Stuart Clark ahead of the Spice Girls gig tonight.

Why can't Newstalk ensure that anyone contributing to the show by phone has a properly functioning phone line, preferably a land line.
    It sounds appallingly amateurish when you can't hear what someone is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Why can't Newstalk ensure that anyone contributing to the show by phone has a properly functioning phone line, preferably a land line.

Not just a complaint with Newstalk ... annoys the hell out of me regularly on Marian Finucane show etc

Pat was very ticked off with that earlier.

Interesting that when the 2nd contributors line started to fail, Pat said, "sometimes I'd like to take 'our' phone system and hurl it through the window".

Happens a lot on NT when they use Skype contributors but don't think that that was the problem this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It was like the contributor had a potato for a microphone this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Thus are the perils of using Skype/Facetime for everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Not sure why Paul Allen went on the show today given that he knew the topic of Maria Bailey would be discussed. He commented "I'm a friend of Maria Bailey, I don't want to give this story any more oxygen. Why aren't we talking about X issue or Y issue, which are much more deserving of air time" and basically stated a few times that he wanted to move on to other topics.

And then the midday news comes on, and as if to prove his point, they started "This is the 12 o'clock news - Paul Allen has commented that he is a friend of Maria Bailey but did not want to comment as he did not want to give further oxygen to the story".

Not sure why Paul Allen went on the show today given that he knew the topic of Maria Bailey would be discussed. He commented "I'm a friend of Maria Bailey, I don't want to give this story any more oxygen. Why aren't we talking about X issue or Y issue, which are much more deserving of air time" and basically stated a few times that he wanted to move on to other topics.

And then the midday news comes on, and as if to prove his point, they started "This is the 12 o'clock news - Paul Allen has commented that he is a friend of Maria Bailey but did not want to comment as he did not want to give further oxygen to the story".

It was incredibly odd, firstly if he is some professional in the area why go on the show or at least go on with having told Pat pre show that's a no go area for me. Was very happy to hear Pat not stop and keep going on :)

It was incredibly odd, firstly if he is some professional in the area why go on the show or at least go on with having told Pat pre show that's a no go area for me. Was very happy to hear Pat not stop and keep going on :)

It's quite simple; he went on the show because it's free publicity for his company. I'm not quite sure if it worked out well though.

It's quite simple; he went on the show because it's free publicity for his company. I'm not quite sure if it worked out well though.
    ahhh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Agreed. Other than the free part... I'm quite sure the man was paid, to say nothing, knowing full well he had no intention of answering one question about Maria Bailey and her carry-on.
    So ifs free publicity with payment.

Off topic but i have to vent! One thing (of the very many in this case) that really bugs me about Ms. Bailey is her saying she was actually only looking for her legitimate expenses of 7k to be covered. Why on earth does she feel she is even entitled to that? She repeats this line as if that makes it all ok. It doesn't! She didn't sit on the seat safely and consequently she fell off. It isn't the hotel's fault that she didn't sit on the seat and hold the ropes like a child of 2 automatically knows to do.
    Rant over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Call me Al wrote: »
    Agreed. Other than the free part... I'm quite sure the man was paid, to say nothing, knowing full well he had no intention of answering one question about Maria Bailey and her carry-on.

Off topic but i have to vent! One thing (of the very many in this case) that really bugs me about Ms. Bailey is her saying she was actually only looking for her legitimate expenses of 7k to be covered. Why on earth does she feel she is even entitled to that? She repeats this line as if that makes it all ok. It doesn't! She didn't sit on the seat safely and consequently she fell off. It isn't the hotel's fault that she didn't sit on the seat and hold the ropes like a child of 2 automatically knows to do.
    Rant over.

That should tell you all about her entitled attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Have seen Paul Allen on VM1 at the weekend, commenting on the news headlines. Always find it infuriating the manner in which he tries to get the presenter to talk about what interests him.....he does exactly what he did with Pat this morning....'why are we talking about X, why aren't we commenting on Y?'' Sometimes, he gets away with it, depending on the presenter. :( Was surprised to hear him on with Pat.....Guess Maria Bailey isn't the only one with a brass neck!!

Thought the same. Might backfire on him, though, even though it is said there is no such thing as bad publicity. I doubt MB would agree with that! I thought it was rather disingenuous of him to insist that he only accompanied MB onto SOR 'as a family friend', totally sidestepping the question he was asked as to whether or not he was her advisor.

Call me Al wrote: »

Rant over.

It was the ' only €7000' remark which got me!! Only, FFS!! :mad:

• Advertisement

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Thought the same. Might backfire on him, though, even though it is said there is no such thing as bad publicity. I doubt MB would agree with that! I thought it was rather disingenuous of him to insist that he only accompanied MB onto SOR 'as a family friend', totally sidestepping the question he was asked as to whether or not he was her advisor.

That's a nobrainer at this point. Everyone thinks what she did was immoral if not outright illegal, no one is going to admit to having advised her to do so.

I'd say she is probably more hurt by people such as another FG TD changing their FB profile pic to one which does not include her.

Advertisement