Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Call me Al wrote: »
    Agreed. Other than the free part... I'm quite sure the man was paid, to say nothing, knowing full well he had no intention of answering one question about Maria Bailey and her carry-on.
    So ifs free publicity with payment.

Off topic but i have to vent! One thing (of the very many in this case) that really bugs me about Ms. Bailey is her saying she was actually only looking for her legitimate expenses of 7k to be covered. Why on earth does she feel she is even entitled to that? She repeats this line as if that makes it all ok. It doesn't! She didn't sit on the seat safely and consequently she fell off. It isn't the hotel's fault that she didn't sit on the seat and hold the ropes like a child of 2 automatically knows to do.
    Rant over.

But isn't that the culture we have let develop with consequent sky high insurance ... the assumption that just because your injured somebody has to pay regardless of the fact that your own stupidity or inattention caused the injury. MB's repeated "BUT SEAN I WAS INJURED" exemplified this thinking. Sean should have said "so what"? Unless the swing came off the ceiling when she sat on it IMO she hasn't a leg to stand on (pardon the pun).

Heather Humphries put it straight & blunt in the Dáil but it will be interesting to see it there is any follow up legislation wise ... there are a lot of solicitors & barraster in the Dáil so I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Can we please have a new rule.

NO COLM O'REGAN AND NO TARA FLYNN ON BANK HOLIDAY MONDAYS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

God does this lady get paid by Huawei or something. Every time she's on she's banging on about it telling us we should but the p20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

God does this lady get paid by Huawei or something. Every time she's on she's banging on about it telling us we should but the p20.

Is it Jess? She’s always talking about them. I used to like her on the Pat Kenny Show. Then she got her own weekend show and I found that I couldn’t last the whole show with her. Similar to the TV guy on Moncrieff

They're great phones in fairness. I went into a phone shop recently looking for a phone and was told that 11 out of 13 employees use Huawei now. I'd typically have been skeptical only she showed me her own personal phone and her colleague on the desk also had one. It's a good phone (P60?)

I'm probably being monitored by the Chinese government as I type, but I'd never go back to the iPhone after using it.

On Jess Kelly, I love her on the PK show. I don't enjoy her own show, but I think she'd be great on another format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, the P20 Pro is widely regarded as the best phone around until recently.

Not a fan of Jess' show either. The interviewees basically go unchallenged, and it's essentially a free advertisement for their company. Almost no actual probing questions or scepticism, just lots of "wow" and "awesome" responses.
    There's also a lot of assumptions about the level of tech in people's homes. I'm fairly clued-up on technology, but there's plenty of gadgets that I don't have (let alone a lot of friends/family), that Jess seems to assume that everyone has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not a fan of Jess' show either. The interviewees basically go unchallenged, and it's essentially a free advertisement for their company. Almost no actual probing questions or scepticism, just lots of "wow" and "awesome" responses.
    There's also a lot of assumptions about the level of tech in people's homes. I'm fairly clued-up on technology, but there's plenty of gadgets that I don't have (let alone a lot of friends/family), that Jess seems to assume that everyone has.

I was a bit taken by her acceptance that technology is listening to everything that happens in homes where it is used and that we should just expect it and accept it if we want the functionality which it brings.

I have an Amazon Echo and Echo Dot which I got for free 6 months ago and have taken out of the wrapping because I'd rather not go that far in to allowing technology to do what it wants just so I can have it do simple things like change station or increase the volume.

The P20, that's the one, thanks. My only problem is that it's a bit of a brick; I had a battered old iPhone 5 before I got this one, and I feel as if I should have it on a leash. The shop was trying to sell them, so maybe they have some kind of incentive, but I really trust that Jess Kelly's own recommendations are unbiased and honest. Also, she seems sound.
    I was a bit taken by her acceptance that technology is listening to everything that happens in homes where it is used and that we should just expect it and accept it if we want the functionality which it brings.
    I'm hugely skeptical about this too.

Have heard so many "horror" stories about ads appearing online, but all can easily be explained by devices being connected. For example, say I tell you that I'm trying to buy some Amerindian pipes. Then I search for Amerindian pipes on my phone using google, and it just so happens that we communicate frequently using Gmail or whatsapp, then voila you get ads for Amerindian pipes (if they even exist).

It's not rocket science, and I don't understand the conviction (even among techies) that our phones are listening to our voices. Because lets face it, good luck in understanding the three million Irish accents anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's not rocket science, and I don't understand the conviction (even among techies) that our phones are listening to our voices. Because lets face it, good luck in understanding the three million Irish accents anyway.

Technology is most definitely listening if you are using Alexa, Echo, Nest, Siri etc.

Jess's point was it is listening, so what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Well maybe the p20 is gods gift then. I just don't fawn much over a particular phone like she does, unless it's cheaper than a comparable phone. Which isn't hard these days compared to iPhones.

It's just every show she's banging on about it.... and living out in Leopardstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What I've heard of her show appears to be an advertising platform.

Vaguely remember her agreeing with someone from UBER about how great their new features we're,having slagged them off on PK not long before.
    Like her in general though. Gets to travel the globe too.
    Cushdy number.

Technology is most definitely listening if you are using Alexa, Echo, Nest, Siri etc.

Jess's point was it is listening, so what.
    I haven't heard that particular emphasis, but I've heard her saying (on the Ciara Kelly Show) that it's unlikely that there exists a technology that can input all of our conversations (say, from mobile phone technology) and monetize that into ad revenue.

She may be wrong about the technology there, but really, there are so many easier ways for tech companies to do the same thing; by logging our Google activities and selling data to companies who want to reach us (or, more importantly) our closest friends, based on Whatsapp, Facebook or or other platform activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

They're great phones in fairness. I went into a phone shop recently looking for a phone and was told that 11 out of 13 employees use Huawei now. I'd typically have been skeptical only she showed me her own personal phone and her colleague on the desk also had one. It's a good phone (P60?)

I'm probably being monitored by the Chinese government as I type, but I'd never go back to the iPhone after using it.

On Jess Kelly, I love her on the PK show. I don't enjoy her own show, but I think she'd be great on another format.

Hosting a show is a big step up from going on someone else’s show as an expert guest. I liked Ciara Kelly and Bobby Kerr as guests, but as hosts I can’t listen to them.

I missed the name of the book that Pat mentioned about the wrecks around the Irish coast! Did anyone catch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I missed the name of the book that Pat mentioned about the wrecks around the Irish coast! Did anyone catch it?

Think it's called "Warships, U-Boats & Liners" --- A Guide to Shipwrecks Mapped in Irish Waters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Edwina bloody curry again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Her opinion on these Tory contenders is quite cutting.
    Esther McVey.. Dumb Blonde? "Well she's not a blonde.."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

She's class. Plays him like a fiddle. Rabbit caught in the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

mattser wrote: »
    She's class. Plays him like a fiddle. Rabbit caught in the headlights.

Are you referring to Edwina Curry playing PK like a fiddle ?

If so,please elaborate. I was listening and heard no such thing. Maybe I missed it.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Are you referring to Edwina Curry playing PK like a fiddle ?

If so,please elaborate. I was listening and heard no such thing. Maybe I missed it.
    I agree Pat is somewhat dazzled by her charm.

Well maybe more than just Pat. I reckon many of us enjoy her contributions. I wish she had her own show. It's so refreshing to enjoy listening to a contributor whose political outlook is the exact opposite of your own, but who manages to be completely inoffensive and humorous about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I loved her rebuke that Ester McVeigh is not a dumb blonde because she is not a blonde.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

I agree Pat is somewhat dazzled by her charm.

Well maybe more than just Pat. I reckon many of us enjoy her contributions. I wish she had her own show. It's so refreshing to enjoy listening to a contributor whose political outlook is the exact opposite of your own, but who manages to be completely inoffensive and humorous about it all.
    She is knowingly or unknowing makes assurances about things she has no clue about - countless interviews with her going on about the NI border backstop/BREXIT is going amazing etc.
    Look if its to rattle people up and thats her shtick ok, but I very much get the feeling she is fairly clueless and likes the sound of her own voice.

In any case, whats wrong with asking for people who are well read and willing to admit their own ignorance or limitations. At least Pat reads and replies (sometimes fairly sometimes not) to the critical stuff and does take both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I wish she had her own show.

Hmmm. Yes and no imo.

I enjoy 'snippets' of Edwina,simply for her contrarian view. A show of her own would be a step too far I'd fear.

She's like ice cream,a little bit is lovely,but too much just gives ya a headache :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Uncharted wrote: »
    Hmmm. Yes and no imo.

I enjoy 'snippets' of Edwina,simply for her contrarian view. A show of her own would be a step too far I'd fear.

She's like ice cream,a little bit is lovely,but too much just gives ya a headache :)

A little bit of Edwina goes a long, long way ... there's a limit to how much supercilious selfpromotion one can listen to :P

jogdish wrote: »
    She is knowingly or unknowing makes assurances about things she has no clue about - countless interviews with her going on about the NI border backstop/BREXIT is going amazing etc.
    I have heard many, but not all, of Currie's contributions to PK and I don't think she's ever suggested that arrangements in relation to Brexit and/or the Backstop are going well.

I think she's a pragmatist at heart, and she can't see why heads can't be knocked together and a deal trashed-out. In that respect, she's no different to the vast majority of British commentators who don't grasp the fact that the EU is a very powerful rules-based organisation, which doesn't give or take with a nod and a wink.

I don't think she's trolling, nor are her colleagues in the Conservative Party, which is a little bit alarming.

At least if they were trolling, it would imply that they had an underlying grasp of the facts.

Did anyone hear Pat Kenny saying that they've been talking about doing a show from Sydney for a while and "must do it!"

Is he bonkers? Apart from a holiday for the crew (more luck to them if they get it, but it will cause war, jealousy and intrigue in Newstalk Towers), what even would be the point?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Good interview with with Tom Tugendhat (Con. MP, ex chair of Foreign Affairs Comm.). Always nice to hear a decent Tory with a solid understanding of the intricacies of the relationship between Ireland-Britain and Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Did anyone hear Pat Kenny saying that they've been talking about doing a show from Sydney for a while and "must do it!"

Is he bonkers? Apart from a holiday for the crew (more luck to them if they get it, but it will cause war, jealousy and intrigue in Newstalk Towers), what even would be the point?

Bet it will probably still cost us a lot less than Tubridy's WWW week and the farcical run with raymond self indulgent week combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

humberklog wrote: »
    Good interview with with Tom Tugendhat (Con. MP, ex chair of Foreign Affairs Comm.). Always nice to hear a decent Tory with a solid understanding of the intricacies of the relationship between Ireland-Britain and Europe.
    It was a breath of fresh air! No posturing with ridiculous lofty meaningless sound-bites.
    He's a very level-headed man, so consequently hes not going to make headline news.
    There's the rub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

.....it will cause war, jealousy and intrigue in Newstalk Towers), what even would be the point?

That may be the point! ;)

Daft idea. When the various shows across Irish radio broadcast from abroad (US etc.) I always think it’s an enormous waste. Australia however is just taking the pIss.

Advertisement