Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

mattser wrote: »
    She's class. Plays him like a fiddle. Rabbit caught in the headlights.

I'm in America at moment, haven't listened to NT on a week, and I know none of this happened.

Haters gonna hate though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I have heard many, but not all, of Currie's contributions to PK and I don't think she's ever suggested that arrangements in relation to Brexit and/or the Backstop are going well.

I think she's a pragmatist at heart, and she can't see why heads can't be knocked together and a deal trashed-out. In that respect, she's no different to the vast majority of British commentators who don't grasp the fact that the EU is a very powerful rules-based organisation, which doesn't give or take with a nod and a wink.

I don't think she's trolling, nor are her colleagues in the Conservative Party, which is a little bit alarming.

At least if they were trolling, it would imply that they had an underlying grasp of the facts.

We must truly have been listening in two different realities. She has been needlessly combative, arrogant and dismissive. As the situation deteriorated her contributions have declined percipitiously, at times utterly ignorant of reality and frankly jingo-istic. John Major's contributions, while not on Newstalk, would serve as a good example for his former associate.

We must truly have been listening in two different realities. She has been needlessly combative, arrogant and dismissive. As the situation deteriorated her contributions have declined percipitiously, at times utterly ignorant of reality and frankly jingo-istic. John Major's contributions, while not on Newstalk, would serve as a good example for his former associate.
    What station does Major contribute to, do you know?

Sleep Radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

What station does Major contribute to, do you know?

Sleep Radio?

You mean Slept With Her Radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't recognise anything you have to say Mr Collins and I never will

• Advertisement

Explain what your culture is Mr Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Sorry Martin....

Sorry Martin...

Sorry again Martin..... ???!!!

Wtf is the other contributors problem here? He's petrified to put facts to Collins. Sickening to listen to. :(

Pavee point and their ilk are a biased,one sided disgrace of an organisation. Get this clown off the airwaves.

How much money does the state pump into the traveller community ?

How much money does the state pump into the traveller community ?

Too much. They are a lost cause.
    It's utterly sickening to hear Collins pontificating about the 'culture' of travellers.
    There's more culture in a yoghurt ffs !! :(

Its a touchy subject on here though.

Iv been banned twice for airing my opinions on travellers.

They are it appears, a sacred cow on boards.ie.
    Virtue signalling ftw.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

As PK himself would say, everyone's opinion matters.

• Advertisement

Uncharted wrote: »
    Too much. They are a lost cause.
    It's utterly sickening to hear Collins pontificating about the 'culture' of travellers.
    There's more culture in a yoghurt ffs !! :(

Its a touchy subject on here though.

Iv been banned twice for airing my opinions on travellers.

They are it appears, a sacred cow on boards.ie.
    Virtue signalling ftw.
    :rolleyes:
    I assume you said something racist at that time. Not sure why you're getting upset here when nobody has (nor, I assume has any intention of) infracted you for that post.

I don't know what traveller culture is either. I'm skeptical that it exists at all. Dr Paddy Wall was as sensible as he always is, and Martin Collins was as evasive and illogical as he often can be.

It's not racist to criticise a traveller or to query what their culture is. Abusing the community wholesale is a different matter.

I assume you said something racist at that time. Not sure why you're getting upset here when nobody has (nor, I assume has any intention of) infracted you for that post.

I don't know what traveller culture is either. I'm skeptical that it exists at all. Dr Paddy Wall was as sensible as he always is, and Martin Collins was as evasive and illogical as he often can be.

It's not racist to criticise a traveller or to query what their culture is. Abusing the community wholesale is a different matter.

Not all mods are as broadminded as you ATNM.

Some are very very much in the SJW bracket.
    Anyways, I digress.
    Not a topic for here.

Back to the thread ..........

Not all mods are as broadminded as you ATNM.
    I'm sure a lot of people got a chuckle out of that, me too, but yes we digress!

Back to sulky racing, I take my Mums approach now. Drive in front of them at a walking pace, it won't stop them but will give the horse a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Sorry Martin....
    Sorry Martin...
    Sorry again Martin..... ???!!!

I bet he'd be apologizing for profiling them, as they are melting down his boiler. Pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Back to sulky racing, I take my Mums approach now. Drive in front of them at a walking pace, it won't stop them but will give the horse a break.

Great idea, I'll be adopting that approach from now on. No shortage of sulky racing in my native Limerick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Ah FFS! :mad:

Off the the BBC World Service until Sean O'Rourke appears on RTE...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

The dismissive attitude of this Healy guy. Absolutely despise the man.

Melodeon wrote: »
    Ah FFS! :mad:

Off the the BBC World Service until Sean O'Rourke appears on RTE...
    Seán O'Who?

Jonathan Healy in for Pat today, and can't seem to understand why not every rural Irish village is as successful as Dingle (that world-famous institution of heritage and and multi-million euro tourism)

I think Healy gets a lot of undeserved abuse, and I don't want to add to it, but he was atrocious there. Not every rural town, even those on the western seaboard, have the history or the geographic luck to be a Dingle.

In Healy's mind (he claims himself), there are only two types of rural towns: those who make a success of themselves, and those who sit around saying "isn't it terrible?"

As a rural native, who grew up beside one of the most beautiful lakes in Ireland, he's completely wrong here. It's not all down to a 'go-ahead' mindset. Dingle has inherited a great deal of luck, through history, geography, and transport planning.

Small hamlets on the coast of Lough Derg, where people have to drive (yes drive) ten miles for basic needs will never compete with that. The same goes for large swathes of rural Ireland.

Really myopic commentary by Healy. Its no wonder that Newstalk is seen as such an urban-centric station.

Healy is atrocious. He is not suited to being a presenter. His mannerisms don't suit radio at all.

He is more suited to being a contributor on a panel discussion or pre-recorded info segments.

I'd much rather see someone like Karl Deeter as a Newstalk floating stand in than Healy.

Dump him Newstalk ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Jonathan Healy ... can't seem to understand why not every rural Irish village is as successful as Dingle
    God, that's pretty bad. Might as well ask why every village isn't as successful as Westport. These towns are exceptional.
    In Healy's mind (he claims himself), there are only two types of rural towns: those who make a success of themselves, and those who sit around saying "isn't it terrible?"

As a rural native, who grew up beside one of the most beautiful lakes in Ireland, he's completely wrong here. It's not all down to a 'go-ahead' mindset.
    Only based on your description, I'm going to infer what Healy might have been trying to say. There are some towns where Begrudgery rules supreme - and anyone trying to do anything positive is looked on suspiciously, and rather than help out, the locals just bitch about the proactive person(s).

On the other hand, there are some great towns which don't have have the luck of location and planning, with fantastically community-aware people, trying to do their best with what they've got.

In other words, Healy may have a point, but Dingle was a bad example to use in trying to prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

serfboard wrote: »
    God, that's pretty bad. Might as well ask why every village isn't as successful as Westport. These towns are exceptional.

Only based on your description, I'm going to infer what Healy might have been trying to say. There are some towns where Begrudgery rules supreme - and anyone trying to do anything positive is looked on suspiciously, and rather than help out, the locals just bitch about the proactive person(s).

On the other hand, there are some great towns which don't have have the luck of location and planning, with fantastically community-aware people, trying to do their best with what they've got.

In other words, Healy may have a point, but Dingle was a bad example to use in trying to prove it.

Didn't I read lately that Dingle was having difficulty fielding a football team due to the fact that house prices were forcing local families to move further and further from the town.

But I agree with you begrudgery and inertia are killing rural Ireland. If you have a look around the towns that are doing well invariably it is outsiders (or foreigners :D) driving them on. You can be too close to the wood to see the trees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Callan57 wrote: »
    But I agree with you begrudgery and inertia are killing rural Ireland. If you have a look around the towns that are doing well invariably it is outsiders (or foreigners :D) driving them on. You can be too close to the wood to see the trees!

If you were Taoiseach for a day, what initiative would you try to implement in order to help rural Ireland?

Me (just thinking out loud here)- I would heavily subsidise premises in order to allow businesses to operate in designated areas.
    I think we have to as a country try to encourage the mid-tier towns to attract more business in order to try to keep people in the vicinity rather than moving to bigger cities or travelling there for work. If they have to travel to a city (Cork,Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Sligo etc), I would look at heavily subsidised frequent public transport from satelitte areas at rush hour to help people getting to/from work in an efficient manner.

I flew in to Shannon yesterday, there's a heavy marketing drive trying to get people to look to the West (ie outside of Dublin) and these sort of campaigns need to be supported with meaningful strategies.

If rural Ireland is empty, what do we do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Tuned in a few minutes ago. P. Donoghue is not a way to start a nice weekend. Tuned out immediately.

serfboard wrote: »

You're right, and I don't believe Healy was trying to say that every town can emulate Dingle. But he seems to think they all have the capacity for an equal commercial success, off their own steam, however they go about it. I don't share that optimism. With all the goodwill in the world, and with all local shoulders to the wheel, there is a limit to how many towns can be tourist/ finance/ IT/ pharma hotspots.

The reason is simple, There is a finite capacity for growth & investment potential within the economy and within various sectors; an equitable distribution of employment has to mean central planning. It is cloud-cuckoo nonsense to suggest that every town can become some organic, commercial success. There must be oversight and national planning for all parts of Ireland to plan and succeed together.

You're quite right about inter-regional begrudgery though. That's a real issue.

If rural Ireland is empty, what do we do with it?
    If you ask me, there's a solution staring us in the face, and that is decentralisation of the civil service.

It would amount to a direct transfer of national wealth to the regions without any of the moral hazard that a direct cash transfer might (arguably, already does) involve.

We just need to allow it to develop over phases that are way beyond the normal election term (therefore diluting its political utility; this bores politicians, I'm afraid), and establish a genuinely impartial commission which will acquire lands and buildings outside of any political influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

If you were Taoiseach for a day, what initiative would you try to implement in order to help rural Ireland?

A proper programme of decentralisation of government departments would be a start ... and I mean entire departments not just a handful of piddly entry level positions scattered to the four winds.

Personally I think the right idea would be to set up a new administrative capital in Mid-West and leave Dublin as the cultural capital ... this would go some way to rebalancing the country & prevent the East tipping into the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Liam Doran might have retired but he's certainly still fighting the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭elperello

kazamo wrote: »
    Liam Doran might have retired but he's certainly still fighting the fight.

Great media contributor.
    He must be enjoying his retirement but I'm sure he would be welcome as a regular guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bobby Kerr on this morn. Voice as croaky as ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Is there really nobody better Newstalk can get to present this when Pat's away?

Advertisement