Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is there really nobody better Newstalk can get to present this when Pat's away?

It's not Bobby Kerr anyway,whatever about Healy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The half hour or so I heard this morn was exactly like his show down to business.

They used to have new talent doing stand ins. Musical chairs these days.

Yer man on Sunday Mornings ain't too bad, probably has a day job though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Pat's back, horray!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Welcome back PK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Melodeon wrote:
    Pat's back, horray!!!

Damn havent tuned in since Monday as thought it would be Healy all week.

Just listening back to today's show now, and managed to confirm my sighting of Robert Fisk this morning!

I was in a cafe near Grafton Street this morning, on the mitch from work, and there was a man beside me whom I thought was a dead ringer for Robert Fisk. I was musing on how interesting it would be to meet the man who was on first-name terms with bin Laden, but thought no more about it.

Then I listened back to the podcast, and Robert Fisk was indeed in studio in Dublin, and must have just left Newstalk Towers when I saw him.

Great interview, too; well worth a listen back. I have a pact with myself never to go up to and annoy anyone famous, with two exceptions, Robert Fisk and Geri Halliwell -- two very similar individuals, for their experiences of great fighting and conflict.

Lucky for Robert Fisk. But what a missed opportunity for me.

His book PITY THE NATION made me want to be a war reporter, and now I am a moderator on the radio forum, which is kind of the same thing.

Do listen back to that interview if you haven't heard it. He has some fascinating insights, as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do listen back to that interview if you haven't heard it. He has some fascinating insights, as usual.

Heard it live. Very good piece.
    He's forgotten more about the middle East than some experts know, as the saying goes.

Heard it live. Very good piece.
    He's forgotten more about the middle East than some experts know, as the saying goes.
    So true. His knowledge is encyclopedic. He must be a prolific note-taker, because the content of his books are incredibly detailed. The book about the great war for civilisation (can't remember the exact title) is like a political Ulysses. It is exhausting. I still haven't managed to finish it.

Oh to have a brain like that at the age of 72.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

His book PITY THE NATION made me want to be a war reporter, and now I am a moderator on the radio forum, which is kind of the same thing.
    Jaysus - I know you're joking, but that's a stretch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Great interview, too; well worth a listen back. I have a pact with myself never to go up to and annoy anyone famous, with two exceptions, Robert Fisk and Geri Halliwell -- two very similar individuals, for their experiences of great fighting and conflict.

Side note! I actually used to be Facebook 'friends' with her and actually had some interaction, back when she had a personal page rather than an 'artist' page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just listening back to today's show now, and managed to confirm my sighting of Robert Fisk this morning!

I was in a cafe near Grafton Street this morning, on the mitch from work, and there was a man beside me whom I thought was a dead ringer for Robert Fisk. I was musing on how interesting it would be to meet the man who was on first-name terms with bin Laden, but thought no more about it.

Then I listened back to the podcast, and Robert Fisk was indeed in studio in Dublin, and must have just left Newstalk Towers when I saw him.

Lucky for Robert Fisk. But what a missed opportunity for me.

Wat colour was de buke? ;)

Side note! I actually used to be Facebook 'friends' with her and actually had some interaction, back when she had a personal page rather than an 'artist' page.
    Who added whom?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Who added whom?!

Technically, she added. But only because I requested. I may have my Facebook etiquette terminology confused...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Robert Fisk is top notch.

Essential for anybody that has an interest in the politics (& history) of the region.

mzungu wrote: »
    Robert Fisk is top notch.

Essential for anybody that has an interest in the politics (history) of the region.

I only gave his book "The Great War for Civilisation" to a charity shop on Friday, listening to him this morning made me think of going back for it.

I only gave his book "The Great War for Civilisation" to a charity shop on Friday, listening to him this morning made me think of going back for it.
    Did you manage to finish it? Tell me you didn't, so I won't feel so stupid.

At one stage, I had to start writing notes (minor biographies) of the hundreds of characters in that epic, such was the level of detail, so I could refer back to them.

And it's not artificially-retained knowledge, if you get my drift. In any of his features on the PK show, he recounts facts and figures with incredible detail and exactness. He must have a photographic memory. Does anyone know if he's in town for an event?

Lara Marlowe is giving a talk in Farmleigh on Saturday, but it's hardly that. But maybe.

Imagine what their dinner-table conversations were like?

'How was your day Lara?'
    'I was shot at and was late filing my copy for the NYT, and yours Robert ?'
    'I was almost kidnapped but I managed to bribe the ringleader. More gravy?'

Perhaps the most boring interview in history with that Tidy bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I had the chance to speak with Robert Fisk at a book signing in New York when I lived there years ago (around 2005 I think). He speaks cúpla focail, which surprised and intrigued me! He's such an interesting person, his books are well worth working through. I've read "Pity the Nation" and "The Great War for Civilisation", although it took me much longer than usual - I had to put them down a few times as I was so frustrated and upset at what he was describing. The kind of books that stay with you...

QueensGael wrote: »
    I had the chance to speak with Robert Fisk at a book signing in New York when I lived there years ago (around 2005 I think). He speaks cúpla focail, which surprised and intrigued me! He's such an interesting person, his books are well worth working through. I've read "Pity the Nation" and "The Great War for Civilisation", although it took me much longer than usual - I had to put them down a few times as I was so frustrated and upset at what he was describing. The kind of books that stay with you...

Stop rubbing it in! :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Female guest quoting €170 for a pair of jeans, rising to €230 with no deal brexit.
    " Buy your jeans in Penneys " says Pat. Nice one Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Verona on again.

She’s certainly someone who’s benefitting from Brexit. Never heard of her before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Verona on again.

She’s certainly someone who’s benefitting from Brexit. Never heard of her before.

Brexit is definitely benefitting her profile without doubt ... more luck to her:)

That Go Loud ad is totally obnoxious.

Bearable in the radio,just. On the phone it attacks your ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Horrendous! I immediately change channel everytime I hear it. What marketing guru thought that would be a good idea. Then again, here we are talking about it I suppose...bad publicity is still publicity and all that.

Season 2 wrote:
    Good healthy contempt for the DUP from parliament.

Horrendous! I immediately change channel everytime I hear it. What marketing guru thought that would be a good idea. Then again, here we are talking about it I suppose...bad publicity is still publicity and all that.

Id never download their app due to that asinine nonsense.

After Brendan O' Carroll Doyle is the least funny Irish person. Unless the repeated use of ****e floats your boat.

After Brendan O' Carroll Doyle is the least funny Irish person. Unless the repeated use of ****e floats your boat.

His Barrytown trilogy is part of our national cultural heritage.

It's become popular to decry all famous comedians/writers/artists as rubbish, just because.

Brendan O'Carroll, Brendan Grace (RIP), Des Bishop, Tommy Tiernan, and so on. All terrible apparently, despite their success.

• Advertisement

It's become popular to decry all famous comedians/writers/artists as rubbish, just because.

I dont know about everyone else, I only decry them if their stuff is basic, unfunny crap. Popularity does not equal good necessarily.

Advertisement