Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

His Barrytown trilogy is part of our national cultural heritage.

Says who? Behan and Flann O Brien's work yes, his, not so much.

His Barrytown trilogy is part of our national cultural heritage.

It's become popular to decry all famous comedians/writers/artists as rubbish, just because.

Brendan O'Carroll, Brendan Grace (RIP), Des Bishop, Tommy Tiernan, and so on. All terrible apparently, despite their success.
    Can't decide whether I agree with you or not.

It certainly is an ugly national habit that we talk-down some of our most famous people, many of whom are only celebrated abroad.

The only problem with that observation, is that every object of our eye-rolling then lumps himself/ herself into the bracket of victimhood. Westlife really was pretty sh1te. No, Joe Duffy isn't a talented writer. Des Bishop isn't funny. On the other hand, U2 are genuinely talented, so were the Cranberries; so is Hozier.

We're not completely incapable of ackowledging talent. We can be too negative. But we do also like to point-out a chancer when we see one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭plodder

I dont know about everyone else, I only decry them if their stuff is basic, unfunny crap. Popularity does not equal good necessarily.
    Can something be good, if nobody likes it?

Nearly 30 years after it was written, they don't seem to have problems filling the gate theatre for a long run of The Snapper. Must mean something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I read some of kids books Doyle wrote and they really enjoyed them and more importantly kids loved them. I'm not that into comedy and I can't change the channel quickly enough when I see Brendan O'Carroll but he found his market. So did Brendan Grace or Westlife for that matter. They are all successful at what they do but they are also harmless. There is a lot more dross on tv that I wouldn't want my kids to see than those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can't decide whether I agree with you or not.

It certainly is an ugly national habit that we talk-down some of our most famous people, many of whom are only celebrated abroad.

The only problem with that observation, is that every object of our eye-rolling then lumps himself/ herself into the bracket of victimhood. Westlife really was pretty sh1te. No, Joe Duffy isn't a talented writer. Des Bishop isn't funny. On the other hand, U2 are genuinely talented, so were the Cranberries; so is Hozier.

We're not completely incapable of ackowledging talent. We can be too negative. But we do also like to point-out a chancer when we see one.

See, this is the thing.
    Perception of talent is subjective to a degree but must also be considered in terms of public appeal, success and longevity.

I do consider Des Bishop funny and would not be so quick to categorically suggest Hozier is talented in the same category as U2 or SOC (I'm not saying he's untalented, just that isn't a given in my view).

But do say someone is rubbish when they're work has been widely successful, as Roddy Doyle's has been, is putting too much weight in someone's own subjective opinion.

• Advertisement

See, this is the thing.
    Perception of talent is subjective to a degree but must also be considered in terms of public appeal, success and longevity.

I do consider Des Bishop funny and would not be so quick to categorically suggest Hozier is talented in the same category as U2 or SOC (I'm not saying he's untalented, just that isn't a given in my view).

But do say someone is rubbish when they're work has been widely successful, as Roddy Doyle's has been, is putting too much weight in someone's own subjective opinion.

Perception of talent certainly is objective. Westlife is more popular internationally than Luke Kelly was, and the Sunday World is far more popular than The Times (Ireland), now defunct, which was a newspaper with really impressive journalism.

Nobody will dispute that the performers you mentioned were popular. I think this is getting off the point, somewhat? You raised an interesting question about talking-down national talent. We certainly do that.

My only point is that sometimes our sweeping criticism is deserved.

By the way, I'm not talking about Brendan Grace here. I'm watching clips of him on YouTube as I type. He had an undeniable comedic talent. It's more of a general point that mass appeal doesn't always mean genuine talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

In examining this, though, you also have to examine the role of PR agencies and management in making a success of anybody.

"Talent will out" is not true. There are plenty of talented people who have never made it, and plenty of barely talented people who have.

Here's Withnail on the subject:
    Withnail wrote:
    I've been to drama school. I'm good looking. I tell you, I've a fúck sight more talent that half the rubbish that gets on television. Why can't I get on television?
    Withnail wrote:
    What happened to my cigar commercial? What happened to my agent? Bastard must have died.
    and of course, there could be other reasons for success ...
    Withnail wrote:
    Oh, look at this little bastard. "Boy lands plum role for top Italian director" Course he does! Probably on a tenner a day, and I know what for! 2 pound 10 a tit and a fiver for his arse!

Three way tie with Spinal Tap and Annie Hall as funniest film ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Healy in for two weeks, in case anybody is wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Healy in for two weeks, in case anybody is wondering.

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't turned the radio on yet this morning, and now I won't be...for two weeks! :pac:

• Advertisement

Two weeks fuuuuuuuuuuck!

Edwina Currie is off the charts imperialistic.

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't turned the radio on yet this morning, and now I won't be...for two weeks! :pac:

Only have one station have you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭griffin100

I caught the piece on corruption in Ireland with an academic from DCU. Was an interesting piece. Healy with no hint of irony whatsoever given who he works for waffled on about the 'nod and wink' culture of corruption in Ireland. However he shut the interview down very quickly when the guest talked about the concentration of media control being a corruption risk factor. Healy to close threw in an expected comment about Trump and the media, ignoring the fact that journalists from the only decent newspaper in Ireland cannot appear on his show as they were involved in criticising the owner of the station he broadcasts from. Now that's an example of the Irish 'nod and wink' culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Only have one station have you?

Ha, it's tough down here in the sticks! Pat is my go-to between 9-12, so if he's not on, I'll leave the radio off and go with a few podcasts instead.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I caught the piece on corruption in Ireland with an academic from DCU. Was an interesting piece. Healy with no hint of irony whatsoever given who he works for waffled on about the 'nod and wink' culture of corruption in Ireland. However he shut the interview down very quickly when the guest talked about the concentration of media control being a corruption risk factor. Healy to close threw in an expected comment about Trump and the media, ignoring the fact that journalists from the only decent newspaper in Ireland cannot appear on his show as they were involved in criticising the owner of the station he broadcasts from. Now that's an example of the Irish 'nod and wink' culture.

I agree with you that it is a topic very close to the bone for NT. I think though it would have been very easy for them not to cover it at all if they just wanted to protect DOB.

In fact, I think DOB would prefer if they stayed away from such topics entirely so they deserve some kudos for that.

Also, that bit at the end where the academic finally got around to mention concentration of media ownership was brought to a brisk halt.

Im sure it was fairly uncomfortable for Healy himself, knowing as everyone does that O'Brien isn't exactly hands-off when it comes to media commentary.

Jonathan Healy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

God he is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

God he is awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭griffin100

I made the mistake of stopping by today between podcasts. I got to hear Fr Peter McVerry tell Healy that our prisons are so overcrowded because the government is railroading homeless people into jail as they couldn’t be bothered housing them. Healy made no effort to question him on such a ridiculous statement. I’ll be avoiding until Pat comes back.

I like Bobby on his own show but not on full on current affairs.

Jonathan is a much more suitable stand in.

All of them suffer from 'not being Pat'. Hard to get praise when you're trying to fill Kenny's shoes.

I made the mistake of stopping by today between podcasts. I got to hear Fr Peter McVerry tell Healy that our prisons are so overcrowded because the government is railroading homeless people into jail as they couldn’t be bothered housing them. Healy made no effort to question him on such a ridiculous statement. I’ll be avoiding until Pat comes back.
    is that so ridiculous? I didn't hear the show, but we do know that poverty is correlated with criminality. We also know that poverty is not an on-off switch, it graduates along a scale, and the further down on that scale you go, the more likely you are to engage in criminal behaviour.

I mean, it stands to reason that if you at least have a permanent address, you have some degree of economic security... And also, the Guards know where to find you.

Jonathan is a much more suitable stand in.
    Three hours of Bobby's voice is too much for me. And I know he's had throat operations, so this isn't some insensitive dig at his illness (hopefully recovered), his voice has been hard to listen to since the Dragons Den days, when I first heard him speak.

There is such a thing as having a voice for radio, and Bobby is almost the antithesis of that.

Moncrieff doesn't either, but Moncrieff does very well in making up for it with wit and erudition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Agree. Only heard the slot where he interviewed Robert Fisk this morning and was thinking that Fisk is so great to listen to, even when being interviewed by Bobby Kerr.
    There is such a thing as having a voice for radio, and Bobby is almost the antithesis of that.
    Yeah, he comes across fairly well personality-wise on the business show, and it helps to have someone who's has been there and done it in terms of running a business, but by God, his voice really does grate on the ears.

serfboard wrote: »
    Agree. Only heard the slot where he interviewed Robert Fisk this morning and was thinking that Fisk is so great to listen to, even when being interviewed by Bobby Kerr.
    Fisk was on again this morning? Thanks for the heads-up. Will gladly listen back, Bobby's voice grates a bit, but he's not that bad.

I also agree with you about Bobby's personality. He comes-off as a genuinely decent bloke and although he's a fairly big employer, usually takes the side of the employee when giving workplace advice on Ivan Yates's programme. You get the feeling he's a man that would be worthwhile to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I used to like Bobby's business show in the early days as I thought he came across well on Dragons Den but find him insufferable now. Comes across very disingenuous, everything is "fantastic" and all around fake..

He was sitting at a table next to me in a pub about a year ago, Friday evening boring the arse off his guests talking about the situation on the "high street". I've never heard anybody in Ireland use that term but then again I don't know an alternative to it..

Terrible fill infor Pat byt better than Healy. I've been out of the country and not listening to her own breakfast show but I'd get Andrea Gilligan to do it instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I used to like Bobby's business show in the early days as I thought he came across well on Dragons Den but find him insufferable now. Comes across very disingenuous, everything is "fantastic" and all around fake..

He was sitting at a table next to me in a pub about a year ago, Friday evening boring the arse off his guests talking about the situation on the "high street". I've never heard anybody in Ireland use that term but then again I don't know an alternative to it..

Terrible fill infor Pat byt better than Healy. I've been out of the country and not listening to her own breakfast show but I'd get Andrea Gilligan to do it instead.

I think Bobby has gone very very stale too

Same ol same ol from him the whole time.

Time to call it a day

I've been out of the country and not listening to her own breakfast show but I'd get Andrea Gilligan to do it instead.
    She seems eminently sound, and has a good voice for radio, but she doesn't carry the same kind of scalpel that can fillet a vacillating or evasive politician like her fellow northerner (with a similarly good voice), Audrey Carville.

Gilligan sounds pretty young, I'd say she'll make an excellent broadcaster in a couple of years, but right now it's evident that she's still learning the ropes.

Clearly, she's preferable to Bobby Kerr.

I'd have Kevin Doyle (Indo) fill in for Pat, if he were available. A great all-rounder and bright as a pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

She seems eminently sound, and has a good voice for radio, but she doesn't carry the same kind of scalpel that can fillet a vacillating or evasive politician like her fellow northerner (with a similarly good voice), Audrey Carville.

Gilligan sounds pretty young, I'd say she'll make an excellent broadcaster in a couple of years, but right now it's evident that she's still learning the ropes.

Clearly, she's preferable to Bobby Kerr.

I'd have Kevin Doyle (Indo) fill in for Pat, if he were available. A great all-rounder and bright as a pin.

I'd honestly listen to anyone that's ever broadcast on Irish radio over that sanctimonious twit Healy. He obviously hasn't learned any lessons from being dumped off every gig he's ever had..

Andrea has been well prepared and informed anytime I've heard her fill in on shows. Certainly not out of her depth filling in for a week in summer. Best way to learn..

I was actually thinking of Kevin Doyle earlier. He was excellent on the breakfast shows last summer. Much better than the hired bunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How have they not hired Ian O Doherty yet? Good shoite stirrer as a stand in at least.

Advertisement