Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

All the waffle about the PSC misses the point.

There have been a lot of instances where individuals in the public and private sector have abused their ability to access information about individuals, without permission or justification.

Just two, the lady from Limerick who won a big sum in the European Lottery; her status was known and published. A civil servant in Social Security was identified and 'allowed' to retire!!
    The Afghan people who 'invaded' St Pats Cathedral were identified and their mobile calls listened to following a 'leak' by a guard to the media....

Would you like to be identified like this? I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

BarryM wrote: »
    All the waffle about the PSC misses the point.

There have been a lot of instances where individuals in the public and private sector have abused their ability to access information about individuals, without permission or justification.

Just two, the lady from Limerick who won a big sum in the European Lottery; her status was known and published. A civil servant in Social Security was identified and 'allowed' to retire!!
    The Afghan people who 'invaded' St Pats Cathedral were identified and their mobile calls listened to following a 'leak' by a guard to the media....

Would you like to be identified like this? I wouldn't.

So the issue is not the card per se but who has access to the information ... I would imagine that is not difficult to tighten up on & stiffer penalties for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Callan57 wrote: »
    So the issue is not the card per se but who has access to the information ... I would imagine that is not difficult to tighten up on & stiffer penalties for abuse.

Stiffer penalties doesn't
    - right any wrong done to people by abuse of data
    - discourage people who are sufficiently motivated to abuse data
    - prevent inadvertent disclosure of data e.g. hackers
    - prevent the state legislating for wider use of the data

Same base principle applies - if any organisation (government or otherwise) doesn't have a legitimate need to collect and store data then they shouldn't be collecting/storing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

There was a fella from Digital Something Ireland interviewed a while ago about the Public Services Card.

He came across as a total and utter <insert appropriate curse word here>. I'd love to know who pays his salary.

BillyBird wrote: »
    Stiffer penalties doesn't
    - right any wrong done to people by abuse of data
    - discourage people who are sufficiently motivated to abuse data
    - prevent inadvertent disclosure of data e.g. hackers
    - prevent the state legislating for wider use of the data

Same base principle applies - if any organisation (government or otherwise) doesn't have a legitimate need to collect and store data then they shouldn't be collecting/storing it.

Grand but one man's "legitimate need" is another man's "abuse of data"

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    There was a fella from Digital Something Ireland interviewed a while ago about the Public Services Card.

He came across as a total and utter <insert appropriate curse word here>. I'd love to know who pays his salary.
    Was it TJ McIntyre? Lecturer in UCD and a practicing barrister and all-round (well, I don't want to have to card myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was it TJ McIntyre? Lecturer in UCD and a practicing barrister and all-round (well, I don't want to have to card myself)

Thats who it was. A real smart ass he seems.

Worth a listen back - maybe I was just grumpy on a Monday morning but he rubbed me up the wrong way anyway. And Pat too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Callan57 wrote: »

The issue is the Government legislated for the cards to be used by the Department of Social Protection, but did not legislated for the cards to be used by any other department. Meaning there was no legal basis for other Government departments to demand the use of these cards to access their services. This is entirely the Government's fault, not the Data Protection Commissioner's, Digital's or anybody else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Exactly, and would you trust that government to have 'stiffer penalties' in place and who would supervise them?

In one case the civil servant identified to have accessed the file(s) of a person 'of interest' without having any justification,was 'allowed' to take retirement.....

In many cases the issuing and reuse of passwords is not formally controlled and checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

everytime i turn it on he starts ranting about trump. off he goes.

• Advertisement

everytime i turn it on he starts ranting about trump. off he goes.

Come on, this is the man who wants to buy Greenland. How can you not be contemptuous of the fucken idiot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ahwell wrote: »
    Come on, this is the man who wants to buy Greenland. How can you not be contemptuous of the fucken idiot?

Even worse.
    This is the man who wants to buy Greenland and when the PM of Denmark said no, he postponed a scheduled visit.

Odius odius man.

They wouldn't be talking about him every day if he didn't do something ridiculous every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Even worse.
    This is the man who wants to buy Greenland and when the PM I'd Denmark said no, he postponed a scheduled visit.

Odius odius man.

They wouldn't be talking about him every day if he didn't do something ridiculous every day.

Probably a plan behind the crazy,being in the news every day etc.
    Not to say he isn't sociopathic scumbag.

Even worse.
    This is the man who wants to buy Greenland and when the PM I'd Denmark said no, he postponed a scheduled visit.

Odius odius man.

More like petulant child :rolleyes: As my late Dad would say he "needs a toe in hole"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

All this Greenland BS does is distract from more pressing issues, like his Brazilian comrade stepping up the burning of the Amazon rainforest.

Good conversation on the proposed restructuring of An Gardai Siochanna. Interesting that it was a management consultant who was on rather than a member of Garda Management or someone from the Dept of Justice.

The suggestion of a Gardai being able to use discretion in a case of drink driving was a bit bizarre to be put as it was. I think many people would agree with it in principle but it might be unworkable because it would ultimately lead to accusations that people are being treated differently or unfairly.

Would expect Gardai representative organisations will push back fairly strongly given the reduction in senior level positions and they certainly won't have liked the comment that sometimes you can't do everything democratically (even though it is true).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ahwell wrote: »

Even worse.
    This is the man who wants to buy Greenland and when the PM of Denmark said no, he postponed a scheduled visit.

Odius odius man.

Surely just because a world leader says something ridiculous , it isn't reason enough for discussion on Irish radio?

As said above, the media is happy to report on this trivial nonsense rather than real issues like the dreadful fire in the Amazon.

Surely just because a world leader says something ridiculous , it isn't reason enough for discussion on Irish radio?

As said above, the media is happy to report on this trivial nonsense rather than real issues like the dreadful fire in the Amazon.

The fact that he is a world leader makes it relevant to be discussed I think.

Agree with you on the Amazon fires deserving to be discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yeah but it's always the US president that gets discussed.

It's because Trump is a celebrity president, good for ratings.

The ridiculous and crazy Greenland story just showed that media in Ireland will just about discuss anything when it comes to Trump to the loss of other more important stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭amandstu

I see the Taoiseach is making noises about the Mercosur agreement .

I wonder if a boycott of related Brazilian goods would be effective in the meantime.

Anything we are buying from there now that is related to that deforestation is surely detrimental to our global interests.

I see the Brazilian farmers may have already realized this.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0823/1070418-french-concern-about-brazil-fires/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Trump is a narcissist - we should stop talking about, sharing and copying his nonsense

Discuss business, social, economic and environmental issues that impact America, us and Europe as a whole but stop talking ad nauseum about his stupid tweeting and nonsensical buying of other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Trump is a narcissist - we should stop talking about, sharing and copying his nonsense

Discuss business, social, economic and environmental issues that impact America, us and Europe as a whole but stop talking ad nauseum about his stupid tweeting and nonsensical buying of other countries.

Exactly. It's called lazy journalism.

mattser wrote: »
    Exactly. It's called lazy journalism.

Trump is massively influential on the world stage, largely by nature of the country which he is President of.

He has the ability to turn an inconsequential comment (such as his tweet on purchasing Greenland) in to a diplomatic incident (by virtue of his postponing the visit to that country) and even this type of childish behaviour has further consequences in global relations, of which Ireland is obviously part of.

We have seen how his manner has been reflected in the rhetoric of many pro-Brexiteers (for one instance) and is part of a wider trend towards populist governance which other countries and leaders are mimicing in cases because of the example Trump sets.

I feel such behaviour allows presidents/individuals/countries to act in a manner which is not conducive to collaboration and mutual benefit and so to not cover it would be to condone it in some manner.
    That to me would be a dangerous thing. It would be the epitome of lazy journalism to let go such petulant behaviour as he frequently exhibits as it would be to discard the potential impacts of the example he sets.

It's a 3 hour show. That's 15 hours a week to fill. There is plenty time to cover a newsworthy story like the President of the United States wanting to buy Greenland and then cancelling an official trip to Denmark because the Danish Prime Minister called the notion absurd. And whether you're interested in it or not, it is a newsworthy story. I guarantee it has been covered by radio programs worldwide. Why should the Pat Kenny Show be any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

stop talking ad nauseum about his stupid tweeting
    Yep - discuss policies, not personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I don't mean they shouldn't mention it - just stop giving the narcissist "air". Mention it and move on - discuss the economic issues etc of the world just stop giving him constant publicity - you can talk about america without mentioning Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

I don't mean they shouldn't mention it - just stop giving the narcissist "air". Mention it and move on - discuss the economic issues etc of the world just stop giving him constant publicity - you can talk about america without mentioning Trump

It's a stocking filler. Nothing more, nothing less. And a completely one sided one at that.

serfboard wrote: »
    Yep - discuss policies, not personalities.

They are intrinsically linked with this individual.

mattser wrote: »
    It's a stocking filler. Nothing more, nothing less. And a completely one sided one at that.

OK, what's the other side of the "Trump wants to buy Greenland" story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Was PK slagging Sean Spicer just because he's going to be on Dancing with the Stars?

Advertisement