Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Lapin wrote: »
    Pat is big sports fan and a regular matchgoer. I reckon he enjoyed those chats after the 11 o clock news.

I know I did and I'm surprised Newstalk didn't continue with them.

They only lasted a couple of minutes an it was interesting to get a different perspective on a sports related item rather just a simple report tacked on to the end of the news.

I'd say if he really wanted a daily sports slot that he would of insisted on it in negotiations with Newstalk and they would have given him one, having listened to him for around 20 years I'd say current affairs, science and medicine are his biggest interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Not only is he a big sports fan Techno, but he knew more about practically ALL sports than any of the sports reporters.
    I think he had a great rapport with Des Cahill, but not really the other sports guys who just seemed to be reading their bullitins from a page and couldn't really deal with any discourse or conversation.

Well maybe you are right but I couldn't stand that Cahill bloke so am glad that its not a regular slot anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'd say if he really wanted a daily sports slot that he would of insisted on it in negotiations with Newstalk and they would have given him one, having listened to him for around 20 years I'd say current affairs, science and medicine are his biggest interests.

Having listened to Pat for as long, if not longer, I agree with you in relation to what his biggest interests are.
    I'd add redneck banjo music to the list too !

Perhaps his dominant interests eclipse his love for sport.

I doubt the post 11 o clock chats played much, if any part in Pat's negotiations with Newstalk.

If they did, it was probably Newstalk that dropped them as the Lunchtime Programme that follows Pat has always had a strong sports element with plenty of discussion, often taking precedence over other headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I very much doubt it was "imposed" on Kenny; it's not like it's a standard "bit" in most RTE1 shows, so why would PK have to endure it if he didn't want to do it, when others don't? Equally, why would NT not "facilitate him" if he wanted to do the same thing?

My guess would be that RTE simply wanted a sports bulletin at that slot, and the "banter" was just an add-on. I'd be inclined to see it as Pat wanting to get in the last word on everything, scent-mark anything that was going to be on "his" slot, and of course to show off his Complete Knowledge of All The Things. And on the new show, it just wasn't something high up his desiderata.

Drunks in Eyre Square shocker!!!!

Is this PK's first attempt to muscle in on Joe Duffys audience?

Can he please take them all, and then we can get rid of the whole wretched show off RTE1? OK, it's the longest of longshots, but I can dream...

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Kenny should talk less, and let the interviewee speak more.
    Rarely a truer word spoken. He has every possible vice of "I'll be the one doing the talking" interviewer: the long, over-elaborated, "is the member getting to the question?" question; the premature and unnecessary interruption; the after the fact throw-away-comment-cum-editorial.

I don't think it's a new trick he'll be learning at this point, though.

Pat has always been fond of the pre-recorded interview. The old show on RTE always had loads of pre-recorded stuff. This has always been the case but at some point RTE decided to stop presenters saying....Earlier I talked to... Obviously you can get away with it if you have the interview lined up to play on cue and the sound levels correctly set.

I must admit I didn't realize that. Sounds like a somewhat sharp practice to me. The actual news uses the "I spoke earlier..." formula, though, right? Or do some news shows do this, and some not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I must admit I didn't realize that. Sounds like a somewhat sharp practice to me. The actual news uses the "I spoke earlier..." formula, though, right? Or do some news shows do this, and some not?

I would assume every mid morning current affairs show in Ireland uses pre-recorded material at some point. Especally when the person you want to interview isn't available between 10 and 12. There's no fast rule that you have to say "I spoke earlier..." if you don't want to but in my opinion it's disrespectful to listeners.

It was a common phrase used on RTE radio Back in the 80's and early 90's By Pat and also on the Day by Day show that was the forerunner to the current Today show. However, those days tapes were more likely to go wonky and it was harder to get good telephone lines for interviews so listeners were more forgiving. Plus there was only one real Current affairs game in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Am I imagining it or are NT racing through the 10 a.m news/sport/weather to ensure Sean doesn't get a head-start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Anyone else noticing the volume on the adverts are a lot louder than the volume on the show?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

It's not on that Hobbs is using Priory Hall to defend strategic defaulters. Two totally different situations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

I think ya can see hoow many followed pat over, 3 comments on boards since 10am, not one about the content, says a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Argh!

Switched over to Sean during the break and ran straight into MLOD .

Right back to the ads for me :D

On Eddies contribution.

Business getting 150 times their profit in loans ?

Christ and I thought the bog standard mortgage situation of 10x + was mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

califano wrote: »
    Anyone else noticing the volume on the adverts are a lot louder than the volume on the show?.

They are not louder - they are at the loudest permissible for more of the time, compression. Same on TV and its why ad breaks wake up those slumbering in front of Midsomer Murders/Morse repeats etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Big C wrote: »
    I think ya can see hoow many followed pat over, 3 comments on boards since 10am, not one about the content, says a lot

Pat is so good, nobody wants to comment in case they miss something he says :D (Sent during the ad break).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Anybody know what the TV theme tune is in todays competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tarakiwa wrote: »

I think it's the theme from 'ER'

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Anxiously waiting for a hint on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Cheater !

:D

I think its Chicago hope , its definitely one of the yank hospital dramas , but I wasn't a fan n only really know based on hearing it come on in the backround as that ma was watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Skid X wrote: »

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Skid X wrote: »

Thats it!
    Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Ì must say I'm impressed with the Newstalk show. A whole hour spent on current affairs so far this morning, a whole 25 minutes longer than the RTE PK show. No MLOD either.

Its like the best bits of the PK show for 2.5 hours every day. Loving it. No crappy bands or cookery sections either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Any sign of a podcast RSS/XML feed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Can't stand PK, never could, and if this thread is anything to go by the new show must be woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

'Our regular history slot'?
    You're settling in quick Pat...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Can't stand PK, never could, and if this thread is anything to go by the new show must be woeful.

Really? I'm enjoying the new show very much, and I was never a big Kenny fan in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RTE Fan

Err No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well you are not exactly open minded about this are you? :D I'm listening to PK first and foremost. I'll flick over as and when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

The old thread for the PK show on Rte was just as quiet, except when Paddy O'Gorman or MLOD were on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Joxer Goes To Stuttgart getting a spin. Nice one. :)

Advertisement