Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

What's this? Yet another incestuous Irish arts in-group gobblefest on the Pat Kenny show? Well I never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Pat sounds lost this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Real Joe Duffy type "comedy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Special on Pat Kenny show now celebrating the fact that 40% of Balbriggan is non-Irish with half that being of African origin, a lot of them out of the Mosney DP centre. And that where they are now standing in what used to be fields of potatoes, there are now housing estates as far as you can see....most of them being social housing.
    Pat talking to some local Councillor.

I look forward to the follow up in 15 years time to see how wonderful they all feel about it then...and who they will be blaming!

edit- now talking to a community activist as they walk around the town itself. A lot of closed shops, a few charity shops and between 15 to 18 fast food shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

jay0109 wrote: »
    Special on Pat Kenny show now celebrating the fact that 40% of Balbriggan is non-Irish with half that being of African origin, a lot of them out of the Mosney DP centre. And that where they are now standing in what used to be fields of potatoes, there are now housing estates as far as you can see....most of them being social housing.
    Pat talking to some local Councillor.

I look forward to the follow up in 15 years time to see how wonderful they all feel about it then...and who they will be blaming!

edit- now talking to a community activist as they walk around the town itself. A lot of closed shops, a few charity shops and between 15 to 18 fast food shops.

I'm quite sure that it wont be mentioned how the town is terrorised by a well known gang of youths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I knew even before the segment started what the reaction will be here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

meeeeh wrote:
    I knew even before the segment started what the reaction will be here.

Surprising amount of far right in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

far right ?
    Which messages in particular ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

:rolleyes:

This comment epitomises a lot of the online reactionary nature of social media, forums, etc. No one is "right leaning", "centre-right", etc. anymore, it is all extremes. Someone expresses an opinion/sentiment that someone else doesn't agree with and suddenly they are branded as a fascist, racist, far-right, etc. These kind of comments don't help debate, as they usually inflame arguments, and derail the actual topic being discussed - which could easily happen in this instance so I'll say no more, other than to say that's a ridiculous comment IMO (which I'm entitled to express without being branded any of the above terms, thanks :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Boards in general and the Radio Forum in particular is a bitter and nasty place.

• Advertisement

swinson wrote: »
    "As Irish as they come"... except for being as black as coal.

Don't post in this thread again.

If anyone wants a ban feel free to continue that racist shíte. - Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Real Joe Duffy type "comedy".

That's an oxymoron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm quite sure that it wont be mentioned how the town is terrorised by a well known gang of youths.

Kevin sharkey tried to raise that on the tonight show earlier in the year, colette browne slapped him down with the following

"there's no evidence of that"

:rolleyes:

This comment epitomises a lot of the online reactionary nature of social media, forums, etc. No one is "right leaning", "centre-right", etc. anymore, it is all extremes. Someone expresses an opinion/sentiment that someone else doesn't agree with and suddenly they are branded as a fascist, racist, far-right, etc. These kind of comments don't help debate, as they usually inflame arguments, and derail the actual topic being discussed - which could easily happen in this instance so I'll say no more, other than to say that's a ridiculous comment IMO (which I'm entitled to express without being branded any of the above terms, thanks :pac:)

Ever read the rantings of super wanker Philip o Connor ( Sweden based "journalist")?

Refers to everyone to the right of the Labour Party as "far right"

Apparently, David Quinn is " far right"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

kneemos wrote: »
    Boards in general and the Radio Forum in particular is a bitter and nasty place.

I've never understood why the Radio Forum has (even by Boards' standards) become so f**king awful. I mean, why does such a benign pastime as listening to the radio attract so many nasty, embittered little bigots?

I've never understood why the Radio Forum has (even by Boards' standards) become so f**king awful. I mean, why does such a benign pastime as listening to the radio attract so many nasty, embittered little bigots?

I'm as confused as you are. Anecdotally, hardly anyone whom I know below the age of thirty watches terrestrial TV. I was once having a conversation with some guys a few years younger than me and I mentioned Miriam O'Callaghan. They said "who's she?", and were genuinely lost.

Probably something along those lines. I reckon it's an age thing -- people who listen to radio probably didn't grow up in a multi racial environment, statistically. There are exceptions: i'm not for a moment suggesting that older users are all racist. In fact, some of the best contributors to this forum seem to be above the age of 40. But so are many of the racists, closeted or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've commented on this once or twice before.

On radio shows, there is often just the presenter and the topic. That makes it easy for someone who has a different take on the topic to target the presenter because they are the manifestation of the opposing view.

But also, and I think there is a strong likelihood of this, some people see radio presenters as just sitting in a chair talking like they are in the canteen at work, just shooting the breeze expressing their opinion and getting very well paid for it in some cases. I think that riles certain people up who have to work long days for minimum wage or little more than it.

But also, and I think there is a strong likelihood of this, some people see radio presenters as just sitting in a chair talking like they are in the canteen at work, just shooting the breeze expressing their opinion and getting very well paid for it in some cases.

That seems super unlikely.

You don't get threads here about people objecting to the twitter feed of some well-paid billionaires just 'shooting the breeze' on twitter.

I think the problem is that people worry (maybe justifiably) that radio presenters will instill in the presenter's audience an opinion which a poster deems to be undesirable. Radio remains an important medium, so this concern is not entirely without merit, even if the user's opinion is completely obnoxious (as it very rarely can be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That seems super unlikely.

You don't get threads here about people objecting to the twitter feed of some well-paid billionaires just 'shooting the breeze' on twitter.

Don't see tweets and radio as a comparable in this context. People aren't getting paid to express their opinion on Twitter (for the most part).

Also, would be some amount of tweets to equate to 10 to 15 hours of opportunity a week which a presenter has to 'control' the narrative.

Also, there's at least 1 thread on someone whose content and opinion on blogs is widely questioned and ridiculed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

"Racists" .... broad definition of that in here.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Kevin sharkey tried to raise that on the tonight show earlier in the year, colette browne slapped him down with the following

"there's no evidence of that"

The same Colette Browne who on The Tonight Show 2 weeks ago donned her barrister hat when discussing the subject of fraudulent claims to say there was no evidence of the legal industry taking on bogus claims or even encouraging them. That the legal industry were beyond reproach on this subject and are honest brokers.

Her credibility is zero

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

jay0109 wrote: »
    The same Colette Browne who on The Tonight Show 2 weeks ago donned her barrister hat when discussing the subject of fraudulent claims to say there was no evidence of the legal industry taking on bogus claims or even encouraging them. That the legal industry were beyond reproach on this subject and are honest brokers.

Her credibility is zero

Yea I think that was the night I spilled my cocoa laughing at her :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think it just a reflection of reality. There is a lot of anger the way immigration is being dealt with. Bar Niall Boylan, radio presenters are afraid to touch the subject.

You may think it's racist but I don't know anyone that is happy about the amount of non-Europeans living here and the amount they are claiming on entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

I think it just a reflection of reality. There is a lot of anger the way immigration is being dealt with. Bar Niall Boylan, radio presenters are afraid to touch the subject.

You may think it's racist but I don't know anyone that is happy about the amount of non-Europeans living here and the amount they are claiming on entitlements.

It may be your reality but its not mine. I've no issue with more non EU people coming in.

and the amount they are claiming on entitlements.

How much are they claiming?

Mary Wilson went Spanish inquisition on a lowly independent councellor in tipperary this evening, piece about DP centre in borrisokane, paxmanesque

Mary Wilson went Spanish inquisition on a lowly independent councellor in tipperary this evening, piece about DP centre in borrisokane, paxmanesque

Good woman, and a Tipp woman too, so I hope she did.

Borrisokane is my nearest 'big town', and most people I know down home are fairly mortified by the recent attention. Those apartments that are planned to house the new locals are in a tiny development. Borris's schools and GP's have a catchment area of approximately 1,500 people. 15 new households aren't going to put a dent in local services.

It's a great little town, and the only thing it needs is population growth. And a decent hurling team. Might kill two birds with one stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I heard that. Even a Lowry... sorry... lowly county councillor deserves to be quizzed about his racist demand that locals should know the background details of asylum seekers who arrive in his village. And yes, it is racist - unless you genuinely believe that he also demands to know the background of any Irish person who moves into the area.

BillyBird wrote: »
    It may be your reality but its not mine. I've no issue with more non EU people coming in.
    Well then you are very well catered for on Irish Radio and by Irish media in general.
    A lot of people feel they aren't as can be seen from the last page or so of discussion

Don't see tweets and radio as a comparable in this context. People aren't getting paid to express their opinion on Twitter (for the most part).

Also, would be some amount of tweets to equate to 10 to 15 hours of opportunity a week which a presenter has to 'control' the narrative.
    I see your point, and I agree that Twitter is probably a less influential medium than radio, but it was the following point I was disputing: you said --

"... I think there is a strong likelihood of this, some people see radio presenters as just sitting in a chair talking like they are in the canteen at work, just shooting the breeze expressing their opinion and getting very well paid for it in some cases. I think that riles certain people up".

I really don't think that's the problem at all. People can happily accept that individuals get paid for doing silly things, hardly any of us object to footballers chasing a ball of air around a pitch for silly money. I think when it comes to radio (or any broadcast medium) people object to certain broadcasters because they appreciate the influence those broadcasters' opiions might have on the general public.

It's the perceived influence which people find problematic. I squirm when I listen to Farage's rants on LBC, the fact that he's being paid a good income isn't an issue.

When it comes to national broadcasters like RTE and the BBC, people also have a concern about wasted public money, which might better be spend on a broadcaster's public-service remit.

I really doubt anyone is upset at the notion of someone being paid to express an opinion. Almost nobody is that petty.

• Advertisement

I heard that. Even a Lowry... sorry... lowly county councillor deserves to be quizzed about his racist demand that locals should know the background details of asylum seekers who arrive in his village.

Borrisokane is a town, not a village. That's the kind of slip that gets you banned around here, youssir.

Advertisement