Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I was hit by cyclists on paths 3 times in last 3 years once sprained my hand, Cuffes a liar

As a cyclist I'm off the opinion cyclist should be nowhere near a footpath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Can't believe Ciaran Cuffe is so ignorant and obnoxious. I have no great interest in his narrative one way or another but I never realised how rude he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pat unable to hide his car bias. It comes up as well when public transport topics arise. Pat and many in the media clearly don't cycle or use public transport.

Pat aghast that drivers actually have to drive carefully and make sure not to knock down cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pat unable to hide his car bias. It comes up as well when public transport topics arise. Pat and many in the media clearly don't cycle or use public transport.

Pat aghast that drivers actually have to drive carefully and make sure not to knock down cyclists.

Pat is certainly not a fan of cyclists but I don't know if you can say it is unique to the media as a whole.

Read any thread on here relating to the topic and you will find plenty (possibly still the majority) who seem to hold Pat's views on it.

Pat is certainly not a fan of cyclists but I don't know if you can say it is unique to the media as a whole.

Read any thread on here relating to the topic and you will find plenty (possibly still the majority) who seem to hold Pat's views on it.

Well I didn't say it was exclusive to the media.

The anti cyclist stuff which is totally illogical is an issue among some motorists in Dublin. More people cycling will help motorists as it will reduce congestion. So I don't know how anyone can be anti cyclist.

It seems to be the new thing to give out about.

• Advertisement

Well I didn't say it was exclusive to the media.

The anti cyclist stuff which is totally illogical is an issue among some motorists in Dublin. More people cycling will help motorists as it will reduce congestion. So I don't know how anyone can be anti cyclist.

It seems to be the new thing to give out about.

I agree, but it seems a predominant opinion.

Recent funding announced by the government would reflect that. Half a billion on 2 roads and just 9M on cycling infrastructure nationwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

I heard the piece earlier and both contributors don't do their cause any good. First guy arguing that cyclists wearing black are no harder to see than those with hi-vis and lights and the second claiming bikes never appear out of nowhere. Pat did well to hold his ground and I don't think it was an anti bike sentiment as is claimed above. Until the cyclist spokepeople acknowledge that a large % of their companions are tainting the rest with their bad behaviour they will continue to find it hard to get a sympathetic ear from other motorists. We all share the road and given the rise in cyclists numbers we all need to be reminded of this but the constant theme that its only motorists that need the education is tiresome. Considering how vulnerable they are I'm amazed by their constant holier than thou attitude.

prunudo wrote: »
    I heard the piece earlier and both contributors don't do their cause any good. First guy arguing that cyclists wearing black are no harder to see than those with hi-vis and lights and the second claiming bikes never appear out of nowhere. Pat did well to hold his ground and I don't think it was an anti bike sentiment as is claimed above. Until the cyclist spokepeople acknowledge that a large % of their companions are tainting the rest with their bad behaviour they will continue to find it hard to get a sympathetic ear from other motorists. We all share the road and given the rise in cyclists numbers we all need to be reminded of this but the constant theme that its only motorists that need the education is tiresome. Considering how vulnerable they are I'm amazed by their constant holier than thou attitude.

I'm not so sure if it is a holier than thou attitude but more a frustration that they must change their behaviour to accommodate the shortcomings of other road users. (Cyclists on footpaths, one way streets, breaking lights, are not to be forgiven or encouraged)

Laws are already in place that lights must be used during lighting up hours.

Also, cyclists become very frustrated with things like seeing cycling lanes being used as parking spaces and then they are told they should be more focused on wearing high-vis and helmets.

I think the point is that it's drivers that kill cyclists, not the other way around.

So why focus attention on what cyclists wear. Surely the focus should be on poor driving?

I think the point is that it's drivers that kill cyclists, not the other way around.

So why focus attention on what cyclists wear. Surely the focus should be on poor driving?

No the focus should be on all road users paying attention and being conscious of each other and how their behaviours effect others. The vibe from the 2 participants earlier was that it was only motorists who are ever were in the wrong.

• Advertisement

No the focus should be on all road users paying attention and being conscious of each other and how their behaviours effect others. The vibe from the 2 participants earlier was that it was only motorists who are ever were in the wrong.

I disagree. Cars kill people every day. There is a heavier burden on motorists to be careful when driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’m not sure if hitting someone you couldn’t see, or had no chance in seeing, could be considered “poor driving”.

Cyclists should wear reflective clothes and have lights on their bikes. I wouldn’t mind if it became a legal requirement for cars to have a reflective stripe going around them either but the headlights should be well visible.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I’m not sure if hitting someone you couldn’t see, or had no chance in seeing, could be considered “poor driving”.

Cyclists should wear reflective clothes and have lights on their bikes. I wouldn’t mind if it became a legal requirement for cars to have a reflective stripe going around them either but the headlights should be well visible.

I got knocked off my bike when wearing reflective clothes and with lights on. Car drove straight on to roundabout as I was going through.

Driver said they didn't see me.

It's an easy out for a driver who hasn't been as attentive as they should be.

I got knocked off my bike when wearing reflective clothes and with lights on. Car drove straight on to roundabout as I was going through.

Driver said they didn't see me.

It's an easy out for a driver who hasn't been as attentive as they should be.

That’s on them. If you had right of way and were visible it’s poor driving on their part.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Bill Hughes must have something on someone high up in Newstalk. I thought when they got rid of Hook that he'd go too. Awful to listen with his boring over analysed film reviews.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Bill Hughes must have something on someone high up in Newstalk. I thought when they got rid of Hook that he'd go too. Awful to listen with his boring over analysed film reviews.

I used to love those. Often used to come away from one of his appearances thinking I must check out that film. What's so bad about them? They're like what, 5-7 minutes once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I love Bill Hughes. It was the best part of Hook show and is still one of the better slots on Pat Kenny Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The vibe I get from Bill Hughes is he goes on Wikipedia the night before his appearance then reads the research on the bus into Newstalk.

He comes across as a decent enough guy but It’s filler nothing more than that.

The vibe I get from Bill Hughes is he goes on Wikipedia the night before his appearance then reads the research on the bus into Newstalk.

He comes across as a decent enough guy but It’s filler nothing more than that.

He did the same when he used to cover music but, to be fair, I think he knows a bit more about film in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Kenny and his family are cyclists in their leisure time so I doubt he holds any bias in that regard. I have heard him complain about pedestrians walking in designated cycle lanes where there is an adjoining pedestrian pathway. I would share his annoyance about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Totally agree, we get way more boring sports analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Is Bressie qualified to be talking about this on the national airwaves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

It's disingenuous for this pair to pretend like importing huge numbers of people doesn't put pressures on the housing system in Ireland and on the health/education resources. Completely dishonest and cowardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

If you do a two week course in mindfulness in India you are qualified to talk about anything on TV and radio in this country it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

BPKS wrote: »
    If you do a two week course in mindfulness in India you are qualified to talk about anything on TV and radio in this country it seems.

He has done a course on it, this one I think

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/!W_HU_MENU.P_PUBLISH?p_tag=PROG&MAJR=W323

So yeah, he's qualified.

BPKS wrote: »

Not just Bressie, everyone is an expert these days no matter the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Whats happening in this Country? Are we turning into totally selfish *****? They are straight up racists not concerned about direct provision! Cynical scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Whats happening in this Country? Are we turning into totally selfish *****? They are straight up racists not concerned about direct provision! Cynical scum.

Perhaps they are calling out a sham system being abused? Georgians and Albanians fleeing wars all the way to Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

1st up...Achill Island and Asylum Seekers in Ireland with a contribution from the CEO of 1 of the myriad of Migrant friendly NGO's in Ireland.
    2nd up....Ireland's pension crisis as a result of falling birth rates. Solution - increased migration into Ireland.

They're not even trying to be subtle anymore in their overt support for mass migration :p

• Advertisement

Useful Interview with female congresswoman Samantha Power and Pat this morning. Anti Trump.

Advertisement