Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yes Pat probably hoping the lady would be more interesting. Pat desperate at this stage to have any US politicians on his programme no matter how boring they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yes Pat probably hoping the lady would be more interesting. Pat desperate at this stage to have any US politicians on his programme no matter how boring they are.
    Agree. I thought she was incredibly annoying, so I switched off the radio (I couldn't possibly switch over to Radio 1 because Meeeeeriam was on).

The worst part was when Pat asked a question and said something like "Obama was very chilled out about that" and yer one replies - "Yeah, Obama is chill".

Puke.

I didn't find her annoying. I just found her extremely boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Samantha Power is not a Congresswoman or indeed even a politician.
    Both her parents were Irish and as child she lived in Dublin.
    She was American Ambassador to the UN.
    She was key member of the Obama administration.

She is a serious woman and worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

elperello wrote: »

Depends on who's asking the questions. That was a softball interview if ever there was one.

• Advertisement

monstermag wrote: »
    Depends on who's asking the questions. That was a softball interview if ever there was one.

I don't know the dynamics that led to the way that interview panned out but I know SP is always worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

monstermag wrote: »

Wasn’t she on plugging her new book or something?

That’s not usually the sort of “hard hitting” interview where the host grills guest. It all seemed pretty cordial.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Wasn’t she on plugging her new book or something?

That’s not usually the sort of “hard hitting” interview where the host grills guest. It all seemed pretty cordial.

Yes "The Education of an Idealist".

I hope I find it in my Christmas stocking :)

She won a Pulitzer Prize for an earlier book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Pat starting his campaign today to bring in Water charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Rich boy Barrett complaining about lack of investment in water.
    Bare faced neck of the ****.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »

But she said nothing interesting at all. I presume most Irish people have no idea who she is.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Pat starting his campaign today to bring in Water charges.

Pat wants to have a dig at working class for getting the water for free and for wasting water.

The reality is that people that live Pat's life use the most water - watering their large gardens, multiple bathrooms etc.

But she said nothing interesting at all

She is certainly not light entertainment, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Pat wants to have a dig at working class for getting the water for free and for wasting water.

The reality is that people that live Pat's life use the most water - watering their large gardens, multiple bathrooms etc.

All the more reason why you should pay for the water that you use. That way the Pat Kennys of this world with their multiple bathrooms and big gardens will pay the most. Isn't that what we all want?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    All the more reason why you should pay for the water that you use. That way the Pat Kennys of this world with their multiple bathrooms and big gardens will pay the most. Isn't that what we all want?

But that's not the way Pat and a big chunk of the media present it. They present it as the working class wasting water and they need to be charged to put manners on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

But she said nothing interesting at all. I presume most Irish people have no idea who she is.

I knew who she was. She's been on the Late Late (more than once?), and I'd guess other media outlets.

I don't get the dislike of this particular segment. A book launch granted so it was never going to be fireworks but it was interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

But that's not the way Pat and a big chunk of the media present it. They present it as the working class wasting water and they need to be charged to put manners on them.

This isn't true.

The vast majority of the media were against water charges. The debates around them where not good. The quality of our water infrastructure and that the water network isn't just the water in but the water out and how it's treated were very rarely mentioned. The fact that we were looking at huge budget deficits after the Celtic Tiger died which had nothing to do with bank bailouts was also very rarely mentioned.

There is very valid criticism of the timing of bringing them in and in how IW was created it also has to be said.

It's similar to Brexit in that outsiders will look in confusingly wondering why we don't have them but people inside the country will see it very differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This isn't true.

The vast majority of the media were against water charges. The debates around them where not good. The quality of our water infrastructure and that the water network isn't just the water in but the water out and how it's treated were very rarely mentioned. The fact that we were looking at huge budget deficits after the Celtic Tiger died which had nothing to do with bank bailouts was also very rarely mentioned.

There is very valid criticism of the timing of bringing them in and in how IW was created it also has to be said.

It's similar to Brexit in that outsiders will look in confusingly wondering why we don't have them but people inside the country will see it very differently.

It's off topic a bit already but I think it wasn't necessarily a case of for or against in a black or white manner.

I think that most people recognized that it is a resource which should be as efficient as possible and so charging for excessive use was appropriate. This was intended to fund the repair of the networks which is way overdue.

But, we went to the trouble of putting in all the infrastructure to monitor the water usage, and then backed out at the last minute.

That was worse than not doing anything. I'd prefer if we had used that project as an example of ensuring that money collected for a utility is used to improve that facility. That's where the angst should have been directed at in my view.
    It's going to be a similar argument in terms of carbon taxes, I'd be a lot more comfortable if they were ring fenced for environmental projects but instead, we will have the Irish water experience encouraging people that we don't have to pay them.

The way IW behaved in terms of pay and bonuses stuck in everyones craw. Celtic Tiger deficits should have had nothing to do with the IW conversation.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This isn't true.

Independent newspaper group which was partly owned by Denis O'Brien almost completed ignored the water protests. I'm not sure what media you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Kenny is back talking Balbriggan again, this time with a Sociologist who has conducted a survey/study of immigrant groups there.

Her findings include that 33% are in Council Housing and another 18% are in private rentals funded by HAP.
    56% of adults are not not working.

Kenny is a bit surprised at this but she thinks it's a good thing that she's raised this as it highlights the need for more supports for the area!

Now talking about the perceived 'gang' issue in Balbriggan. Kenny heard about the gangs but when he went there all he saw was a few bunches of young lads, not like the gangs you hear about in London who are into knifes etc. The Sociologist believes any reference to the word 'gangs' is a dog whistle.
    But the Gardai in Balbriggan have said there are a lot of anti-social issues. She counters this by saying she is concerned that the Gardai are stopping them too much on the streets in the area for checks.

Integration in Balbriggan is working is the summary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

jay0109 wrote: »
    Kenny is back talking Balbriggan again, this time with a Sociologist who has conducted a survey/study of immigrant groups there.

Her findings include that 33% are in Council Housing and another 18% are in private rentals funded by HAP.

Kenny is a bit surprised at this but she thinks it's a good thing that she's raised this as it highlights the need for more supports for the area!

Now talking about the perceived 'gang' issue in Balbriggan. Kenny heard about the gangs but when he went there all he was a few bunches of young lads, not like the gangs you hear about in London who are into knifes etc. The Sociologist believes any reference to the word 'gangs' is a dog whistle.
    But the Gardai in Balbriggan have said there are a lot of anti-social issues. She counters this by saying she is concerned that the Gardai are stopping them too much on the streets in the area for checks.

:rolleyes: Her view on reality must be distorted from her lofty perch in the ivory tower..

:rolleyes: Her view on reality must be distorted from her lofty perch in the ivory tower..

As opposed to the experts on here about migrants/refugees?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's off topic a bit already but I think it wasn't necessarily a case of for or against in a black or white manner.

I think that most people recognized that it is a resource which should be as efficient as possible and so charging for excessive use was appropriate. This was intended to fund the repair of the networks which is way overdue.

But, we went to the trouble of putting in all the infrastructure to monitor the water usage, and then backed out at the last minute.

That was worse than not doing anything. I'd prefer if we had used that project as an example of ensuring that money collected for a utility is used to improve that facility. That's where the angst should have been directed at in my view.
    It's going to be a similar argument in terms of carbon taxes, I'd be a lot more comfortable if they were ring fenced for environmental projects but instead, we will have the Irish water experience encouraging people that we don't have to pay them.

The way IW behaved in terms of pay and bonuses stuck in everyones craw. Celtic Tiger deficits should have had nothing to do with the IW conversation.

I agree there were many valid reasons to be critical of IW.

The Celtic Tiger deficits are related to the phrase "narrow tax base" that was mentioned a bit but never really explained. A lot of the income during that period was from houses and buying and selling. Once the housing bubble burst and people stopped buying and selling it had a huge effect on the tax intake. A water charge in theory is a charge for a service that isn't dependent on the wider health of the economy.

Independent newspaper group which was partly owned by Denis O'Brien almost completed ignored the water protests. I'm not sure what media you mean.

Again that's not true. They covered them as much as other newspapers did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

jay0109 wrote: »

Now talking about the perceived 'gang' issue in Balbriggan. Kenny heard about the gangs but when he went there all he saw was a few bunches of young lads, not like the gangs you hear about in London who are into knifes etc. The Sociologist believes any reference to the word 'gangs' is a dog whistle.

The sociology lecturer from ulster Universities presentation was awesome in it's sublime attention to PC dogma

Implying the guards are occasionally guilty of racial profiling was the cherry on top

These people's smug know it all arrogance would be funny were it not so serious how much growing influence the bubble dwellers have on policy in numerous areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The sociology lecturer from ulster Universities presentation was awesome in it's sublime attention to PC dogma

Implying the guards are occasionally guilty of racial profiling was the cherry on top

These people's smug know it all arrogance would be funny were it not so serious how much growing influence the bubble dwellers have on policy in numerous areas

Do you mean the arrogance that comes from studying and researching a topic for years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Do you mean the arrogance that comes from studying and researching a topic for years?

This wasn't a cardiologist telling people how to better fend off high blood pressure

The soft sciences are often as objective as your average political party promotion, her opinions were overtly political in nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Excellent contribution from Peter Sheridan, very incisive and penetrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Rap with a Dublin accent, no, no, no!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What happened to Maria Bailey??? Is Pat doing a Joe Duffy - promising a topic, and then blithely completely ignoring it?

Or did I blink and miss it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What happened to Maria Bailey??? Is Pat doing a Joe Duffy - promising a topic, and then blithely completely ignoring it?

Or did I blink and miss it?

They’re talking about her now, Ian O’Doherty is the only one sticking it to her. The rest seem to be sympathetic.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement