Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ffs is rural Ireland ever happy?!!

elperello wrote: »
    There is little connection between the homelessness crisis and a development of expensive apartments in Dalkey.

He'd fairly lose the head if they built cheap ones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He'd fairly lose the head if they built cheap ones :D

Signing a contract with Newstalk did not remove his right to make an objection to a planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Lol child on now lecturing us about fracking and climate change.

Should be asking her is she looking forward to the toy show rather than this nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

5555555555 wrote: »
    Lol child on now lecturing us about fracking and climate change.

Should be asking her is she looking forward to the toy show rather than this nonsense

Well, the child is the one who is going to have to suffer the consequences...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Dick_Swiveller

Well, the child is the one who is going to have to suffer the consequences...

Climate science is an extremely complex, difficult field of study. What does this child know about it?

Do you think she even knows the chemical symbol for Carbon?

I'd suggest she's just going along with fashionable opinion for the sake of it.

Climate change has become the latest woke fad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Climate science is an extremely complex, difficult field of study. What does this child know about it?

Do you think she even knows the chemical symbol for Carbon?

I'd suggest she's just going along with fashionable opinion for the sake of it.

Climate change has become the latest woke fad.

'Ok Dad, you're right, I personally know nothing specifically about the dangers of second hand smoking or just how carcinogens can impact on my health even though I hear the Dr's saying it is bad. You puff away there'.

See how ridiculous that statement would look if you tried to say it now?

Time you woke up Dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On a lighter note, anyone else hear Pat getting caught rotten today guffawing at his own joke about St Paul on the road to Damascus - to the sound of resounding, and slightly bemused, silence from the caller???

Scarlet for him I was :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

I heard that and thought the silence was down to the FFer being so angry because Pat had spent the first part of the interview reminding him about FFs record in govt during the Tiger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This Cagney guy on this morning

Cannot listen to him. Full of it.

Pat come back quickly !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

No issues with this Cagney fella at all, but I really don't like when it's not Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Unfortunately, the 'Other One' is hosting the show tomorrow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Melodeon wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the 'Other One' is hosting the show tomorrow :(

Who’s that?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Jonathan Healy, according to Mark Cagney at the beginning of the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Melodeon wrote: »
    Jonathan Healy, according to Mark Cagney at the beginning of the programme.

Healy is a decent presenter.

Didn’t think Cagney was too bad today, in fairness. He’s sat in for Yates a couple of times recently.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some halfwit on now talking about bingo. It’s def not gambling she says....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭plodder

Some halfwit on now talking about bingo. It’s def not gambling she says....
    I heard the intro earlier about the protest, and I had a certain image of elderly bingo players trying to block the streets like the farmers...

You'd have to wonder though, what half-wit would put bingo in the same category as slot machines and other forms of fixed odds gambling. They are hardly comparable at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Does the law deal with online gambling too? Then it would be quite obvious why bingo is included.

According to the Mirror at https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/traffic-chaos-looms-bingo-buses-21011500
    Today, there could be similar gridlock if the bingo players turn out in force with their buses.

The Bill is set prohibit any games where more than 50% of the stakes are handed back out in prizes.

Most bingo sessions return around three-quarters of the pot, or have rollover jackpots.
    Can't say I understand the rationale there. Also, I would have thought you should be able to distinguish between an activity that happens in person, over the course of an evening, and one that happens in seconds whether in person or online etc. It's not rocket science. They deserve what they are about to get today if you ask me.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/protestors-gather-outside-leinster-house-against-modest-proposal-on-bingo-prize-money-968112.html

Bit more context in the Irish Examiner article compared to the Mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

This is how much Healy grates with me.......I turned over to Tubridy when I heard his voice this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jesus, I think Jess Kelly got a bit sick into her mouth there when Pat did his sex voice, I know I did.

8 out of 10 turkeys prefer Newstalk apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

There is little connection between the homelessness crisis and a development of expensive apartments in Dalkey.

I haven't had a chance to respond to this but hearing Newstalk around "Bart's People" type segment on lack of housing in Dublin yesterday reminded me.

I have a question for you and the people who thanked your post. If a person who would have bought a apartment in Dalkey can no longer get a property there (as Pat Kenny and his pals objected to planning permission), do you think these people just don't buy in Dublin at all?

It would be my experience that if people cannot buy in their preferred area, they don't just stop looking for somewhere to stay - they go looking in a less preferable area. For example, a guy that I know was looking for a house in Lucan and couldn't get one. He didn't just stop looking for a house - He bought a house in Clondalkin instead. So the refusal of planning permission in Dalkey DOES affect everybody. The less houses there are available in one area of Dublin means that there is more competition for housing in the other areas.

But similar to Aodhan O'Riordán, when he objects to planning permission it is on worthy grounds, but when other people object it's because they are racist.

I haven't had a chance to respond to this but hearing Newstalk around "Bart's People" type segment on lack of housing in Dublin yesterday reminded me.

I have a question for you and the people who thanked your post. If a person who would have bought a apartment in Dalkey can no longer get a property there (as Pat Kenny and his pals objected to planning permission), do you think these people just don't buy in Dublin at all?

It would be my experience that if people cannot buy in their preferred area, they don't just stop looking for somewhere to stay - they go looking in a less preferable area. For example, a guy that I know was looking for a house in Lucan and couldn't get one. He didn't just stop looking for a house - He bought a house in Clondalkin instead. So the refusal of planning permission in Dalkey DOES affect everybody. The less houses there are available in one area of Dublin means that there is more competition for housing in the other areas.

But similar to Aodhan O'Riordán, when he objects to planning permission it is on worthy grounds, but when other people object it's because they are racist.
    it's a bit like people who say my contribution (or say that of the aviation industry) to climate change is very small. It all counts. And in the case of housing, you could imagine older people living in large family homes in Dalkey/Killiney moving down to an apartment in the same area. Then you would have a chain of families moving from smaller houses up to larger ones, ending up with that vacated big house in Dalkey. It could very well help the housing crisis.

Incidentally, he had a discussion about Bord Pleanala yesterday and to his credit, he didn't let his personal feelings influence it significantly, as far as I could tell. I didn't catch all of it, but the experts he was talking to didn't have a major problem with the planning system.

I get your point. Thanks for getting back.

However I did say "little connection" and I'll stick to that.

There will be a long slow trickle down effect from a €750,000 apartment to the unfortunate sleeping in a hostel.

The real way to address homelessness is to build lots of affordable homes fast.
    That is a function of Government policy.

As I said in a subsequent post in this thread PK did not lose his right to object to a planning permission when he signed a contract with Newstalk.

PK is not responsible for the homelessness problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

PK is not responsible for the homelessness problem.
    Indeed not, but one of many contributors to lack of housing is NIMBYism, of which Pat is an example.

The mentality is: "Yes, of course, more housing should be built - just not near me".

serfboard wrote: »
    Indeed not, but one of many contributors to lack of housing is NIMBYism, of which Pat is an example.

The mentality is: "Yes, of course, more housing should be built - just not near me".

Any member of the public is entitled to make observations or an objection to a planning permission.

If their objection is unsustainable it will not unduly delay the development and anyway all developers allow for objections/appeals in their timescale.

It is the job of the local authority or ABP to decide whether to grant permission or not.

That is exactly what happened in the PK/Dalkey case.

Any member of the public is entitled to make observations or an objection to a planning permission.

If their objection is unsustainable it will not unduly delay the development and anyway all developers allow for objections/appeals in their timescale.

It is the job of the local authority or ABP to decide whether to grant permission or not.

That is exactly what happened in the PK/Dalkey case.
    Indeed. Some NIMBYs are more successful than others.

serfboard wrote: »
    Indeed. Some NIMBYs are more successful than others.

NIMBY is an easy term to throw around.

Homeowners do not have to accept any badly planned development that some developer wants to foist on their neighbourhood.

They are entitled to take an interest in the proper and sustainable development of the area where they live.

• Advertisement

Homeowners ... are entitled to take an interest in the proper and sustainable development of the area where they live.
    Indeed they are. But that's what NIMBYs claim they are doing too.

Advertisement