Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Shame on Newstalk for facilitating this guy and his "you can't speak about immigration" or you're a racist. We are sleepwalking in to all the same problems as the UK.

Yeah i was wondering if I'd heard the beginning of the Interview properly as I took it that the gist of what he was saying was that to discuss immigration was in itself racist.

But going by the text reactions I wasn't the only one.
    Maybe I and others heard wrong? Must listen back later as what I thought I heard was fairly loopy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

We are sleepwalking in to all the same problems as the UK.

And what problems are they then? For someone who gets so offended by perceived disrespect to the democratic will of the people that brought about brexit, you are ignoring the fact that we had a democratic process of our own in 1992, the Maastricht Treaty referendum. Which allowed the freedom of movement for goods, services, capital, and people within the EU. The result was 69% in favour, 31% against.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Got to have a listen back to Nick Henderson from the Irish Refugee Council this morning. He was on to talk about candidates being urged not to use anti-immigrant rhetoric and (racist) dog whistling. Nick handled that line of questioning well.

The interview went down a bit of a rabbit hole fairly quickly into a broader line of questioning regarding immigration. Many texters seemed to have misheard the guest or Pat (as I did) and kinda piled in with questions and statements he wasn't prepared for.

For me I misheard Pat when he said Anti Immigrant when I thought he said Anti immigration in his opening introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Is professor Luke O'Neill still coming on the PK show?

I think he's excellent and that slot with pat is broadcasting gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Shame on Newstalk for facilitating this guy and his "you can't speak about immigration" or you're a racist. We are sleepwalking in to all the same problems as the UK.

Listen back he never said that, he said people should be careful HOW they discuss immigration .Totally different thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Listen back he never said that, he said people should be careful HOW they discuss immigration .Totally different thing.

The discussion of immigration is already taboo in this country. He was just trying to formalize it.

The discussion of immigration is already taboo in this country.

It wouldn't be much of a discussion if people just make Shite up like...
    Shame on Newstalk for facilitating this guy and his "you can't speak about immigration" or you're a racist.

and then carry on regardless when it is pointed out to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The discussion of immigration is already taboo in this country. He was just trying to formalize it.

It gets discussed all the time.

The reason it isn't brought up as much as you'd like is because it isn't the main concern for the vast majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭boardise

Callan57 wrote: »
    Who says Nordies?

People with a playful sense of humour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭boardise

Pat’s pronunciation of “Greta Thunberg” is way over the top, someone needs to tell him he’s not Swedish so he can stick to the standard one.

Great Thunderbird does it for me.

• Advertisement

Too many excuses made for thugs, if you are a decent person you dont get involved in violent crime, I grew up in an unemployed household in Ballymun and avoided all that scumbag behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Too many excuses made for thugs, if you are a decent person you dont get involved in violent crime, I grew up in an unemployed household in Ballymun and avoided all that scumbag behaviour.
    I agree. Whilst there are mitigating circumstances in some cases, and allowances should be made, the fact is that there are way too many allowances/excuses made in this country. The softly-softly approach is getting us nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I agree. Whilst there are mitigating circumstances in some cases, and allowances should be made, the fact is that there are way too many allowances/excuses made in this country. The softly-softly approach is getting us nowhere

The condescending left knows best, they've been dictating policy for thirty years now so will eventually get it

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The condescending left knows best, they've been dictating policy for thirty years now so will eventually get it

FF or FG have been in power for all those 30 years. They are not the left, condescending or otherwise. All of the Ministers for Justice over those 3 decades, with the exception of Michael McDowell, came from those 2 parties. We've just had 9 years of FG, "the party of law and order",

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ahwell wrote: »
    FF or FG have been in power for all those 30 years. They are not the left, condescending or otherwise. All of the Ministers for Justice over those 3 decades, with the exception of Michael McDowell, came from those 2 parties. We've just had 9 years of FG, "the party of law and order",

Michael McDowell wanted to revamp the whole justice system. He fell foul of both the Garda unions and the Law society for his plans while Minister iirc and was turfed out of Dail Eireann while having been Tanaiste before the election which was quite the come down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Ahwell wrote: »

FF/FG are not really the government though. Ireland is governed by the permanent government of public service mandarins, unions and the EU. Mostly middle class leftists who have a paternalistic attitude to the lower orders. They don't believe this class can or should help themselves. Thus we have generational welfare dépendance, criminality and addiction.
    The policies don't work.but the paternalistic class feel better about themselves and reward themselves accordingly.

FF/FG are not really the government though. Ireland is governed by the permanent government of public service mandarins, unions and the EU. Mostly middle class leftists who have a paternalistic attitude to the lower orders. They don't believe this class can or should help themselves. Thus we have generational welfare dépendance, criminality and addiction.
    The policies don't work.but the paternalistic class feel better about themselves and reward themselves accordingly.

This kind of assumes Ireland has a unique problem with generational welfare dépendance, criminality and addiction, which of course is not the case. These are problems we share with the entire developed world. Of course this could be explained by civil services worldwide being infiltrated by "middle class leftists who have a paternalistic attitude to the lower orders", but I'm not buying it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Add in RTE as the fourth horseman of the apocalypse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

What is the alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

daithi7 wrote: »
    Is professor Luke O'Neill still coming on the PK show?

I think he's excellent and that slot with pat is broadcasting gold.

He was there earlier.

Anyone know if Paul Harrington’s song “origins” bit has been cut? Haven’t heard it for awhile now.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pat doesn't sound a fan of little johnny & mary not being allowed driven right to the school gates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

neris wrote: »
    Pat doesn't sound a fan of little johnny & mary not being allowed driven right to the school gates

Also he got badly caught out by a texter calling criticising him for calling Trump's government 'a regime'.
    He brushed if off quickly and claimed he would say the same about FF/FG etc. :rolleyes:

Gave out to the texter for being too sensitive! :eek:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

neris wrote: »

"People's right to drive from A-B unimpeded" was the bit that stuck out for me.

Now, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he may have just being putting the other side of the argument there but not sure why he thinks people have right to drive where they want just because they are in a car?

Who is this talking for the last 10 minutes?

Edit: Answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

That was some comment from pat about Ivan & the banks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This is massacre. Pat Kenny really can't stand SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

meeeeh wrote: »

This is easily the toughest time anyone has got in any of the debates. I'm almost half feeling a teeny tiny bit sorry for Mary Lou.

Then I remember all the IRA stuff and that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

He was outrageous - no-one can deal with the DUP or Arlene Foster - how did expect a ROI political party to deal with them. Theresa May couldn't even deal with them. And continually brining up stuff that happened years ago, in another jurisdiction is just lame. What happened, happened, lets move forward and look to the future.

The steam from Patrick's ears melted me speakers.

Haven't heard him that rattled in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

meeeeh wrote: »

It was fairly vicious by Pat's standards alright. A good interview. I'm not sorry for her.

Advertisement