Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Arent dole payments paid into your bank account, no ones collecting them with fake id!

Disagree, I love craft beer and speciality coffee, you get what you pay for like wine.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Cheap wine is bad wine is as big a myth going as expensive wine is good wine.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Cheap wine is bad wine is as big a myth going as expensive wine is good wine.

There is huge difference between a 7.99 bottle and a 15 euro bottle, my GFs dad is a big wine connoisseur he has given me wine costing that and more, huge difference. Same for me with beer.

There is huge difference between a 7.99 bottle and a 15 euro bottle, my GFs dad is a big wine connoisseur he has given me wine costing that and more, huge difference. Same for me with beer.

It depends on the grape, the weather the year it was harvested, how it was bottled, how it was stored, any number of factors.

First rule of economics - something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I've had wine that cost a euro that was better than wine that cost 20 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Arghus wrote: »
    I've got better tasting cups from petrol station shops than from ultra wanky coffee places.
    In my experience, 90% of coffee in petrol stations is bitter sh1te, only made palatable by liberal dollops of sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

serfboard wrote: »
    In my experience, 90% of coffee in petrol stations is bitter sh1te, only made palatable by liberal dollops of sugar.

What makes me laugh are Irish running around with their cups like New Yorkers, far too busy to sit down and drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,620 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes it can be, but bitter shyte is frequently found in supposedly better establishments too. I'm not praising the overall quality of petrol station coffee, just saying that the priceier equivalent is often no better and sometimes worse.

As for craft beer. I'm glad more choice exists, but there's a lot of wu-wu out there too. Price is no guarantee of quality. And I have drunk a lot of craft beer over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

This combined with terrible coffee in a lot of cafes and restaurants being the reasons I stopped drinking coffee altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

That teachers Union representative is obnoxious. No interest in doing what is right for the students, only interested in making sure that she is consulted before they try to change their working conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That teachers Union representative is obnoxious. No interest in doing what is right for the students, only interested in making sure that she is consulted before they try to change their working conditions.
    I turned off for that segment, so haven't heard the item - but that's kinda her job, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭storker

This combined with terrible coffee in a lot of cafes and restaurants being the reasons I stopped drinking coffee altogether

It's a funny thing with coffee...the places where you assume it will be good can let you down, and the places where you're not expecting much can pleasantly surprise you.

No matter how good the food is, if a restaurant doesn't serve good coffee, I avoid going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I turned off for that segment, so haven't heard the item - but that's kinda her job, isn't it?

That's exactly what her job is.

I get annoyed on the other side when unions pretend they are taking action for service users (patients, students, commuters, etc.) rather than taking action for their members who they are paid to represent. The union works for its members, own it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Yeah but they always try to maintain that "the students are what really counts". Shower of liars to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yeah but they always try to maintain that "the students are what really counts". Shower of liars to be honest.
    But this time they didn't, and you're still complaining? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

But this time they didn't, and you're still complaining? :confused:

They sold out the “newly qualified” teachers when it meant protecting the old guard. Now they are trying to act like they care.

Self-serving greed merchants is all that they are. And, what’s worse, is that the teachers have no choice but to join their “ranks” and go along with whatever they say.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

They sold out the “newly qualified” teachers when it meant protecting the old guard. Now they are trying to act like they care.

Self-serving greed merchants is all that they are. And, what’s worse, is that the teachers have no choice but to join their “ranks” and go along with whatever they say.
    In fairness to the teachers though, it wasn't just them that did this. This happened all across the public service - guards, teachers, nurses, doctors etc.

The government at the time played it brilliantly, knowing that, given the choice between expressing solidarity with people not yet in the service, or having a lesser pay cut themselves, they would choose the latter. I'm alright Jack, and watch as I pull the ladder up behind me - a real "fúck you" to the younger generation.

And, as you say, now they are trying to act like they care. If they cared, they should have gone on strike at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I find Shane Ross somewhat an odious individual. As he was before he became a TD, he sounds like he knows what needs to happen for governance for the benefit of all in society and yet his behavior in government did not reflect that.

Disappointed with the humor Pat brought to the interview with a lot of the giggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I find Shane Ross somewhat an odious individual. As he was before he became a TD, he sounds like he knows what needs to happen for governance for the benefit of all in society and yet his behavior in government did not reflect that.

Disappointed with the humor Pat brought to the interview with a lot of the giggling.

Given that Shane Ross refused to be interviewed when he was a Minister I found it insulting to the audience that Kenny gave him a platform to air his opinions today.

The quicker Ross fades into the background the better - but given the way the Irish media works he'll get plenty of handy money for interviews, opinion pieces and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

BPKS wrote: »
    Given that Shane Ross refused to be interviewed when he was a Minister I found it insulting to the audience that Kenny gave him a platform to air his opinions today.

The quicker Ross fades into the background the better - but given the way the Irish media works he'll get plenty of handy money for interviews, opinion pieces and so on.

Since he lost his seat he seems to be making an appearance on ever TV & radio programme. Wouldn't surprise me if he turned up on Fair City some evening. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Hippykitten

Callan57 wrote: »
    Since he lost his seat he seems to be making an appearance on ever TV & radio programme. Wouldn't surprise me if he turned up on Fair City some evening. :rolleyes:

In one post election interview he mentioned writing a book

• Advertisement

In one post election interview he mentioned writing a book

He confirmed it today. Said he has started it already.

Elizabeth Coppin piece was tough listening. She's a formidable woman.

Edit. This piece was followed by David Quinn, talking about why have SF been forgiven for previous transgressions when the Catholic Church hasn't been. Bizarre that one interview followed the other and I think that Pat should have asked David about the Elizabeth piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

BPKS wrote: »

He will end up writing for the Independent, is my guess.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

He will end up writing for the Independent, is my guess.
    He used to do so before he went into politics I think? Or maybe it was for the Sunday Business Post..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

He used to do so before he went into politics I think? Or maybe it was for the Sunday Business Post..

He was the Business Editor for the Sunday Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Good interview with Eoin O'Broin, this bit being the highlight

https://twitter.com/_conor__/status/1229418167484780552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

You can be sympathetic to the plight of people who are homeless but I do get annoyed when its "someones elses fault". He is an alcoholic and had a stroke and its society's fault that he doesn't have a house. I didn't hear anything about what he is personally doing to help himself.

I dont share Pats obsession with the grisly details of murder trials, very tabloid and in nobodys interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You can be sympathetic to the plight of people who are homeless but I do get annoyed when its "someones elses fault". He is an alcoholic and had a stroke and its society's fault that he doesn't have a house. I didn't hear anything about what he is personally doing to help himself.

This is the reason why I don't give homeless people money on the street anymore. What is the point if it is only going to be spent on drink or gear? I thought to myself I am only helping this person kill themselves quicker.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

So, he was living in a council house with his partner. They split up, and now he wants a council house for himself because he has joint custody of his kids?
    Is this where society is going? Two free houses per family?
    No wonder we have an alleged homeless problem!

Advertisement