Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I wonder will Pat present for the next few months, obviously wont be going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

prunudo wrote: »
    In fairness its not like he hasn't been discussing covid19 all week.
    And he has Simon Harris on shortly.

He’s got a terrible voice, doesn’t he? Sounds like that, whingey, Toby from ‘Upwardly Mobile’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He’s got a terrible voice, doesn’t he? Sounds like that, whingey, Toby from ‘Upwardly Mobile’.

It's what he says that's important, not how he sounds when saying it.

I know what you mean but I like his practice of using short snappy statements instead of wandering sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

That's a bit cruel, but I do understand what you are saying. Very similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It's what he says that's important, not how he sounds when saying it.

I know what you mean but I like his practice of using short snappy statements instead of wandering sentences.

Ah, look, it’s nothing against the guy personally. He’s playing a “blinder” so far.

And he gets a lot of credit for joe he conducted himself in the “abortion” referendum, his voice is just a bit “withered”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

Jonny wrote:
    Good man that should be enough to get you banned. There's nothing untrue in anything that I said even though you may not like to hear it.

Don't know what you're other references are, but I will just put it as being consistent with your other incoherent ramblings.

Hey Jonny, when you accuse someone of incoherence it is probably best not to make an error in the attempted putdown.

For clarity, your = belonging to you e.g your life does not have much going on as you keep re-regging when banned.

while

you're = you are e.g you're a sad re-regging twat.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Pat has Charlie Weston on talking about the confusion amongst Banks over how the payment breaks are supposed to work which they are all supposed to have signed up to last week.

"Bankers are behaving like Bankers always do....like rats" says Pat.

So, about 10 minutes ago, Pat Kenny took the line from Michael Creed, minister for agriculture: There has been a special Covid 19 hotline for farmers set up. Did Michael Creed have the phone number.....eh....em.. "ya caught me cold"..

I turned the dial... to RTE 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

So, about 10 minutes ago, Pat Kenny took the line from Michael Creed, minister for agriculture: There has been a special Covid 19 hotline for farmers set up. Did Michael Creed have the phone number.....eh....em.. "ya caught me cold"..

That's hardly Pat's fault to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

If that's the case youd better give Duffy a miss !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Pat has had Regina Doherty on twice in the last week and she was absolutely brilliant.

Every question answered without hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

creed was never the sharpest knife in the drawer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭zell12

BPKS wrote: »
    Pat has had Regina Doherty on twice in the last week and she was absolutely brilliant. Every question answered without hesitation.
    Ah she did not, she did not know the answer to some of them, and said that she would consult and get a response later.

Besides, she was sacked by us two months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

zell12 wrote: »
    Ah she did not, she did not know the answer to some of them, and said that she would consult and get a response later.

Besides, she was sacked by us two months ago

Not to mention that she was probably the only minister to make a massive cocks up during the crisis - having to back track on payment amounts; announcing that employers would be covered for payments to employees, then they mightn't be, sowing confusion.

I'd disagree with FG on most policies (current crisis aside), but Regina is the only one I'd have a visceral dislike to for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

BillyBird wrote: »
    Not to mention that she was probably the only minister to make a massive cocks up during the crisis - having to back track on payment amounts; announcing that employers would be covered for payments to employees, then they mightn't be, sowing confusion.

I'd disagree with FG on most policies (current crisis aside), but Regina is the only one I'd have a visceral dislike to for whatever reason.

Did I hear yesterday that she is expecting a Taoiseach's nomination to the Senate "and retain the Ministerial job"

FFS

She will probably get it too.

There's not much hunger among TDs to replace the current government.

She will probably get it too.

There's not much hunger among TDs to replace the current government.

There's a good chance that FG will be in some form of government so they'll have a share of nominations (even if there's a rotating Taoiseach).

Add to that the under-representation of women in the Seanad and no women from FG. Points to Leo appointing some FG women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Correction.... isn't it the 'next' Taoiseach who is supposed to do the nominations? WTF is she talking about? Of course she thinks Veradkar will be the next.....

BTW, I hope Kelly tells tweedle dum and tweedle dee to take a hike. Their, and especially his, term in a coalition wasn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭elperello

BarryM wrote: »
    Did I hear yesterday that she is expecting a Taoiseach's nomination to the Senate "and retain the Ministerial job"

FFS

Bit of a misunderstanding really.

She was asked would she take that route and basically said "never say never".

A safe holding reply given the circumstances.

Possibly a Senator, unlikely a Minister in my opinion.

Regina Doherty on now at 09:27
    spinning

• Advertisement

16 minutes of Regina there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Kate O'Connell on moaning about the lack of female Senators currently elected and how she would he honoured to be one of Leo's nominees. She believes there's resistance in FG, especially young FG, against having too many elected women in the party!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

elperello wrote: »
    Bit of a misunderstanding really.

She was asked would she take that route and basically said "never say never".

A safe holding reply given the circumstances.

Possibly a Senator, unlikely a Minister in my opinion.

How could she possibly be a minister when she failed to be elected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Allinall

Up to two members of the Seanad can be appointed minister.

These can in turn be appointed by An Taoiseach.

Section 28.7 of the Constitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The idea was floated a few years ago - after the financial crisis - of getting experts in certain areas elected to the Seanad and given Ministerial roles in their expert fields.

For example I would much have a financial expert as Minister for Finance instead of some teacher or somebody with an Arts degree that has worked in PR for a few years and become a TD.

Same with Health, Transport portfolios etc.

EDIT: not talking about Doherty obviously, more a general observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The idea was floated a few years ago - after the financial crisis - of getting experts in certain areas elected to the Seanad and given Ministerial roles in their expert fields.

For example I would much have a financial expert as Minister for Finance instead of some teacher or somebody with an Arts degree that has worked in PR for a few years and become a TD.

Crazy talk!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It doesn't work in Irish electoral system where people vote for candidates directly. It makes sense to make them ministers and boost their profile to improve chances of re-electon and getting extra people in. What you are looking for works when you vote for parties not individuals (or for only one individual in american system).

The minister is supported by the permanent civil servants that run those departments. And those guys are experts in their various areas.

The idea that one person would be a financial expert in economics, banking, consumer finance, taxation, etc. is probably a long shot.

I'd prefer somebody smart, somebody who knows what questions to ask/who to ask. Not that we necessarily get those either .....

Having some sort of a background in some area Finance would help for sure.

Oh and somebody that has a bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Allinall wrote: »
    Up to two members of the Seanad can be appointed minister.

These can in turn be appointed by An Taoiseach.

Section 28.7 of the Constitution.

By all accounts the vast majority of her FG colleagues were glad to see the back of her including the taoiseach. Surprised Pat wasn't aware of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Charlie Flanagan giving us a lesson here in how to dodge a question. What is the point of having him on if he won't answer a simple question. I know it is the modus operandi of politicians, but it makes for infuriating listening.

Advertisement