Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Couldn't take her in any way seriously as a communications/media advisor when I heard her say years ago that she doesn't watch or indeed own a TV...

If you look at her clients (incl. many political parties, politicians, semi-states and Govt. Agencies) you’ll see she’s very well “connected” - interpret that however you like.

I despise the woman btw, for reasons I won’t discuss here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Terry Prone is always an interesting guest on radio shows.

That's why she keeps getting the gigs.

Sometimes you learn a lot by listening to people you don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

elperello wrote: »
    Terry Prone is always an interesting guest on radio shows.

That's why she keeps getting the gigs.

Sometimes you learn a lot by listening to people you don't like.

Plus, given the contacts she has listed above, she is speaking from at least an awareness of the motivation of some taking whatever position it is they have taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Plus, given the contacts she has listed above, she is speaking from at least an awareness of the motivation of some taking whatever position it is they have taken.

So you put the work in listen intently, draw your conclusions and that's what makes radio interesting.

Alternatively you can engage in a futile search for a station that only broadcasts people you agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Did it ever occur to you that I have arrived at my position of disliking her from years of listening to her? Or that I may have had professional dealings with her and based my opinion on the sum of my collective engagements with her? Also, where did I say I don’t listen to alternative views to my own? You’d swear by your comments I listened to her once, took an immediate dislike to her, and then never listened to her again.

Just because you listen to alternative views doesn’t mean you have you now have to agree with them.

• Advertisement

Luke O Neil is great, gives you a bit of hope in the morning.

More casual throwaway positivity from O'Neil. A guaranteed vaccine is just mere months away and we can all go back to normal .... despite there being no vaccine against any coronavirus and after years of research, particularly after SARS and MERS.

Disappointing he is allowed to Inflate hopes like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭KaneToad

salonfire wrote: »
    More casual throwaway positivity from O'Neil. A guaranteed vaccine is just mere months away and we can all go back to normal .... despite there being no vaccine against any coronavirus and after years of research, particularly after SARS and MERS.

Disappointing he is allowed to Inflate hopes like that.

He does seem to be hyper optimistic but doesn't seem to have much evidence to base it on. I home he's right!

Taken alone, this is a great reason to have her on panel discussions. TP can articulately (and usually with good humour) identify what polticians' motivations might be, and is well=placed to evaluate their errors or successes in a crisis. Too well-placed!

The great problem is that she obviously has a dual role (directly or not) in steering politicians through crises, as well as framing a discussion (distributing an emphasis here or there, wherever is most favourable), and it is this dual role which makes her completely unreliable.

Well then we should take her words with a pinch of salt, you might say. Fine. But producers aren't saying that, otherwise why put her on radio panels? It is implicit that she deserves to be heard. It follows that people will listen to her, that she does influence public attitudes.

I think it's a really unfortunate and at worst quite an irresponsible situation. I wouldn't say corruption, or cronyism or any other overused c-word.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Funny how Supreme Court Judge Kavanaugh was all over the news a while back when he faced sexual assault allegations, yet Joe Biden seems to be getting a free pass in relation to the allegations he's facing.
    Considering Pat covered the Kavanaugh case extensively, l wonder will he cover the Biden story with the same vigour?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Funny how Supreme Court Judge Kavanaugh was all over the news a while back when he faced sexual assault allegations, yet Joe Biden seems to be getting a free pass in relation to the allegations he's facing.
    Considering Pat covered the Kavanaugh case extensively, l wonder will he cover the Biden story with the same vigour? #metoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

monstermag wrote: »
    Considering Pat covered the Kavanaugh case extensively, l wonder will he cover the Biden story with the same vigour?

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Paul Murphy getting absolutely schooled here by Pat! Great radio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

In fairness it's not difficult. Paul Murphy has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

What would Willie Walsh know about flying a plane :eek::D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

LOL

Paul Murphy just on and wants Aer Lingus to be "re-nationalised".

As part of his argument, that absolute clown has just said that Willie Walsh and Michael O Leary know nothing about the airline industry. Its the workers on the ground who know it best and should be running the company (the ground handlers I presume he means).

When pressed by Pat he said Willie Walsh didn't know how to fly a plane.

Pat pointed out that Walsh was a pilot.

Kenny absolutely wiped the floor with him.

It certainly brightened up my day. Just hope all the gobsh1tes that voted for him listen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Paul going to go back and lie on his Che Guevara duvet cover and have a little cry to himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

That was an hilarious interview, Murphy really hadn't a clue. Most entertaining interviews since Maria Bailey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i turned off before paul murphy came on because i did not want to listen to his rubbish (enough of it every where these days)

sorry I turned off, but will look for the interview now !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

2smiggy wrote: »
    i turned off before paul murphy came on because i did not want to listen to his rubbish (enough of it every where these days)

sorry I turned off, but will look for the interview now !!

Must find the link to share, what an ape...i was laughing at the radio, pure rubbish he was spouting, PK did a good job on him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

4Ad wrote: »
    Must find the link to share, what an ape...i was laughing at the radio, pure rubbish he was spouting, PK did a good job on him..

Here it is.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/renationalise-aer-lingus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Pat says Willie Walsh was a pilot, then murphy says, 'but could any of them fly a plane'

How did he get elected. Its baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

2smiggy wrote: »
    Pat says Willie Walsh was a pilot, then murphy says, 'but could any of them fly a plane'

How did he get elected. Its baffling

Poor Paul was just getting liftoff & what does Pat have to do? Cuts it to an Ad break :mad:. That's what really annoys me about Newstalk ... surely their producer could have held off on the adverts 'till Paul had jumped into the hole he was busy digging. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Right up there with Ruth Koppingers nationalise Dell idea.

To think 1000s voted for him is Baffling.

Although it's actually not, because they are equally as deluded and think the world owes them a living just like comrade Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Right up there with Ruth Koppingers nationalise Dell idea.

To think 1000s voted for him is Baffling.

Although it's actually not, because they are equally as deluded and think the world owes them a living just like comrade Paul.

Or building the world's most expensive hospital. Deluded.

Fann Linn wrote: »

What has that got to do with anything we're discussing here comrade?????????.

There is a FG thread for your ramblings.

This is about Paul Murphy and Pat Kenny.

Seriously, SF have people in every thread on boards making sure they get a FG dig in.

Some operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What has that got to do with anything we're discussing here comrade?????????.

There is a FG thread for your ramblings.

This is about Paul Murphy and Pat Kenny.

Seriously, SF have peoole in every thread on boards making sure they get a FG dig in.

Some operators.
    Just clarifying your previous point the deluded voters elected Murphy.
    They're with all parties, yours included.

Just clarifying your previous point the deluded voters elected Murphy.
    They're with all parties, yours included.

A I said there is a FG bashing thread.

This isn't about FG.

Classic whataboutery though.

SF never fail to pull that ace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

john4321 wrote: »

That’s comedy gold, Murphy trying to laugh it off after realising the gaffe he made. Considering how long they have worked in the industry, claiming they don’t “know” it is probably the last thing you could say.

Thanks for proving the point !!

The public sector has no idea how to run projects as shown by the hospital fiasco. Who goes to tender without even knowing what is the detailed requirement and specifications !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just had a listen back to the Paul Murphy comedy interlude.

Pat laying waste to his "baggage grunts and air hostesses are more knowledgeable than Michael O'Leary when it comes to running Europe's biggest airline" was glorious.

Honourable mention to his comment at the end of the interview..."Always a pleasure having Paul on the programme!"

It certainly is in these depressing times.

Advertisement