Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Fairly interesting interview with Paschal yesterday , who seemed off form and was harried by Pat on

Fairly interesting interview with Paschal yesterday , who seemed off form and was harried by Pat on PS tax churning around the system , on politicians pay and the economic response to Covid 19, sounded tired of government.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That Lorna Bogue (Green Party) is a hard listen. What PR firm are they using that they'd see fit to send someone on that speaks in such a condescending manner to the radio host and guest and not understand that the medium they're on is to communicate their message to the wider public.

If I heard her name being introduced onto a radio show again I'd be inclined to switch the channel, surely that's not where the Greens need to be at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

humberklog wrote: »
    That Lorna Bogue (Green Party) is a hard listen. What PR firm are they using that they'd see fit to send someone on that speaks in such a condescending manner to the radio host and guest and not understand that the medium they're on is to communicate their message to the wider public.

If I heard her name being introduced onto a radio show again I'd be inclined to switch the channel, surely that's not where the Greens need to be at the moment.

They can't help themselves!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I play a shooter online. I guess I must be a Nazi now.

I have to admit I do like playing as a Wehrmacht soldier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

humberklog wrote: »

She says she is from Limerick and that the people of Limerick should be worried about the Shannon LNG terminal.

The Shannon LNG terminal is planned for Co. Kerry.

Maybe she should at least know the facts on her "redline" issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Field east

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Or building the world's most expensive hospital. Deluded.

Or the sudden switch to the empathy mode by SF post the passing of Jean McConville and her 8- or was it 10- young children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eamonn Ryan being interrogated by Pat now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

zell12 wrote: »
    Eamonn Ryan being interrogated by Pat now

Has a diesel car, do as I say, not as I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Has a diesel car, do as I say, not as I do.

In fairness, it's fairly old and he's outlined on numerous occasions why it would cost more in carbon emissions to trade it it up than keep it

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    In fairness, it's fairly old and he's outlined on numerous occasions why it would cost more in carbon emissions to trade it it up than keep it

We are forced to get rid of older cars because the insurance cartels, but nothing is done or said about those cowboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

We are forced to get rid of older cars because the insurance cartels, but nothing is done or said about those cowboys.
    In fairness, that's an entirely separate issue to one you originally raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭plodder

Interesting from Pearse Doherty there how the Covid payments are being handed out willy nilly to all and sundry, including people already on social welfare and to plenty of people who are getting more now than they were before the crisis, and because there is no new government, there doesn't seem to be any specific legislation to deal with it. It'll be interesting to go through this when it's all over and find out how much was divvied out, which obviously can't be recovered, due to this ridiculous dithering over government formation.

It was a quick decision to give a blanket payment, no other alternative really. It would take months and months to process applications otherwise
    It will alter soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭plodder

It was a quick decision to give a blanket payment, no other alternative really. It would take months and months to process applications otherwise
    It will alter soon.
    Yes, they had to move quickly, but how much money has been handed out wrongly, just because they weren't and still aren't in a position to pass new legislation? I made this point on the covid 19 forum before, but there are many self-employed people entitled to nothing because they simply cannot shutdown their businesses, or even pretend to and work exclusively for cash as I'm sure some are. All they could do was dump cash on the economy and hope it lands in the right places, it seems to me.

It will alter soon.

Unlikely. Iv just heard Pierce on the news saying the special payments have to stay in place til at least Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Alastair Campbell talking sense on the current UK situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

plodder wrote: »
    Yes, they had to move quickly, but how much money has been handed out wrongly, just because they weren't and still aren't in a position to pass new legislation? I made this point on the covid 19 forum before, but there are many self-employed people entitled to nothing because they simply cannot shutdown their businesses, or even pretend to and work exclusively for cash as I'm sure some are. All they could do was dump cash on the economy and hope it lands in the right places, it seems to me.

As a business we had to close without any income suddenly. We are not abusing the scheme but we are using it to keep employees on payroll. Yes there were mistakes made, yes there are people better off on one of the schemes, yes there are some who are much worse off but for us and many more companies quick intervention meant we could keep people employed. The scheme will have to be modified, changed, fine tuned and tapered out but not doing it quickly it would mean a lot more people on live register and with less of a chance to get their job back when this is over. Sometimes speedy reaction is much better than making sure everything is perfect.

But yes we do need a government because there is a reason why countries are not run by experts.

In fairness, that's an entirely separate issue to one you originally raised.

The point is older cars are becoming something that only the likes of Ryan can afford keep on the road. Everyone else is forced to get finance and get new because it suits the insurance/nct/ SIMI cartels. He didn't elaborate about his having an old diesel only that he "didn't use it very much".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The point is older cars are becoming something that only the likes of Ryan can afford keep on the road. Everyone else is forced to get finance and get new because it suits the insurance/nct/ SIMI cartels. He didn't elaborate about his having an old diesel only that he "didn't use it very much".

I really don't know what you are on. If you can insure the car and is in working order it will be cheaper and more environmentally friendly not to buy a new car, be it electric or any other.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/25/are-electric-vehicles-really-so-climate-friendly

Some research show that electric car needs to drive 219000 km before it starts out preforming similar diesel car (numbers depend on how electricity is produced). I always keep cars relatively long and there is no major hassle insuring them for me. I know there are issues around some insurances, I'm not denying that but I don't believe you need to keep buying new cars every few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

fryup wrote: »
    Alastair Campbell talking sense on the current UK situation

I thought it was a really good interview, really slated Boris Johnson and the British government...

Leo Varadkar currently on with Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Mav11

Good to hear PK giving Edwina Curry a hard time. Cutting through her BS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't stand this whole we did it better than you think the Irish seem to take so much pleasure from, it's childish. The UK is a totally different environment and our roadmap out of this mess is a bit all over the place.

Mav11 wrote: »

She is feisty !

She is feisty !

She's a Tory politician ala Boris Johnson. Never lets the truth get in the way of a good story.

Could be doing without her fake news and propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I thought she did quite well given all Pat wanted to do was tell them they're doing a terrible job and Ireland are so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

She's well able for him.

She's a Tory politician ala Boris Johnson. Never lets the truth get in the way of a good story.

Could be doing without her fake news and propaganda.

I like her , she has been around the block and gives a s good as she gets , we are no saints either.

• Advertisement

I thought she did quite well given all Pat wanted to do was tell them they're doing a terrible job and Ireland are so much better

But we are:)

Advertisement