Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mav11 wrote: »
    But we are:)

It's apples and oranges, Edwina pointed out the differences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Mav11

I like her , she has been around the block and gives a s good as she gets , we are no saints either.

I'll give her that, she is entertaining. But I'm glad she's over there, not here!!

Tory's are not called the nasty party in the UK for no reason.

It's apples and oranges, Edwina pointed out the differences

I would have thought that Pat pointed out the differences. But that might be just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I'll give her that, she is entertaining. But I'm glad she's over there, not here!!

Tory's are not called the nasty party in the UK for no reason.

Makes for great radio.

Makes for great radio.

Brilliant.

• Advertisement

Good to hear PK giving Edwina Curry a hard time. Cutting through her BS!!

She was well able for Pat. Like her or not, agree with her or not, she is an excellent debater and does not back down, I admire that. She's also not a waffler. Great debate !

Pat going on about Cheltenham made me laugh. It was FULL of Irish!! (as Edwina pointed out )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Nearly forgot to turn off the radio there, had to charge into the other room before I heard Ciara Kelly's voice, shudder

Nearly forgot to turn off the radio there, had to charge into the other room before I heard Ciara Kelly's voice, shudder

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

She was well able for Pat. Like her or not, agree with her or not, she is an excellent debater and does not back down, I admire that. She's also not a waffler. Great debate !

That's not debate, that's intentionally rehashing things you know are wrong. It reminds me British politicians jumping on a perfectly valid comment from a statistician that comparisons can't be made because of different factors. It was used so much to deflect that he had to clarify his point was that we can't make conclusions where among bad countries UK is but there is no doubt it is among the bad countries. I also love how she claimed it's young men's fault because they are breaking the rules. It's attacking the group of population she doesn't belong to to deflect from government failures. Great debate is when you actually persuade anyone not when anyone with a half of a brain cell knows you are misrepresenting facts loudly enough and persistently enough that nobody can counter your argument.

I suspect the only attention Edwina gets is on Irish radio. Any still relevant Tory will know there is nothing to gain for them going on Irish radio so Newstalk have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. I actually find it insulting that she would think Irish listeners are that dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Really? I mean really really?

She is convinced in her view being superior and isn't burdened with the sense that it has to be rational.

Must say I find this perplexing for someone who has such a dislike for Ciara Kelly expressing her opinion.

Really? I mean really really?

She is convinced in her view being superior and isn't burdened with the sense that it has to be rational.

Must say I find this perplexing for someone who has such a dislike for Ciara Kelly expressing her opinion.

(I'm actually listening to Ciara Kelly as I type this, in work with ear plug in listening to Newstalk - good show today !)

I find Edwina Curry entertaining and well able to hold her ground, right or wrong. Is that a crime? This is what good debating is about.
    Whether I like Ciara Kelly or not is irrelevant ? Don't take things so seriously,chill a bit ;) .......Pat Kenny has her on most weeks for engaging debate on numerous topics! I love Pat Kenny and I also love when he is challenged as he usually has the upper hand!

Have a lovely day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

meeeeh wrote: »
    That's not debate, that's intentionally rehashing things you know are wrong. It reminds me British politicians jumping on a perfectly valid comment from a statistician that comparisons can't be made because of different factors. It was used so much to deflect that he had to clarify his point was that we can't make conclusions where among bad countries UK is but there is no doubt it is among the bad countries. I also love how she claimed it's young men's fault because they are breaking the rules. It's attacking the group of population she doesn't belong to to deflect from government failures. Great debate is when you actually persuade anyone not when anyone with a half of a brain cell knows you are misrepresenting facts loudly enough and persistently enough that nobody can counter your argument.

I suspect the only attention Edwina gets is on Irish radio. Any still relevant Tory will know there is nothing to gain for them going on Irish radio so Newstalk have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. I actually find it insulting that she would think Irish listeners are that dumb.

This ^ is a perfect summation of what she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So predictable this morning with Edwina.
    Not sure if she knows that everytime she's on his show she's been taken for a Brit bashing ride!

Maybe she does? and just plays along in the knowledge that Pat's Irish audience have been left satisfied that the British are not invincible :)

Whatever the reason for Pat's "ambushes" on Edwina, I just find them shallow & predictable.

We have less Covid deaths than you, we are higher up the charts, our death rate is lower than yours, Boris is not as Churchillian as he thought he he was, etc etc etc ....

Thank God for Radio 4, for serious discussion & analysis.

So predictable this morning with Edwina.
    Not sure if she knows that everytime she's on his show she's been taken for a Brit bashing ride!

Maybe she does? and just plays along in the knowledge that Pat's Irish audience have been left satisfied that the British are not invincible :)

Whatever the reason for Pat's "ambushes" on Edwina, I just find them shallow & predictable.

We have less Covid deaths than you, we are higher up the charts, our death rate is lower than yours, Boris is not as Churchillian as he thought he he was, etc etc etc ....

Thank God for Radio 4, for serious discussion & analysis.

Certainly predictable, but maybe as a result of Edwinas predictability?

It really seems to be the case that she thinks that if she shouts long enough and often enough, regardless of the veracity of her statements, that she will win the point. I hardly think that that constitutes debate.

BTW I presume that she's a paid pundit??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

(I'm actually listening to Ciara Kelly as I type this, in work with ear plug in listening to Newstalk - good show today !)

I find Edwina Curry entertaining and well able to hold her ground, right or wrong. Is that a crime? This is what good debating is about.
    Whether I like Ciara Kelly or not is irrelevant ? Don't take things so seriously,chill a bit ;) .......Pat Kenny has her on most weeks for engaging debate on numerous topics! I love Pat Kenny and I also love when he is challenged as he usually has the upper hand!

Have a lovely day :)

She's a hellluva good debater alright. She also takes the pi$$ a bit when she's talking to someone who only does serious.

mattser wrote: »
    She's a hellluva good debater alright. She also takes the pi$$ a bit when she's talking to someone who only does serious.

She is dogmatic in having the belief that her view is correct but she is not able to communicate why that is the case and when she veers in to humour, it is generally because she is trying to deflect from her own weak position.

She's entertaining, but she isn't a good debater.

Certainly predictable, but maybe as a result of Edwinas predictability?

It really seems to be the case that she thinks that if she shouts long enough and often enough, regardless of the veracity of her statements, that she will win the point. I hardly think that that constitutes debate.

BTW I presume that she's a paid pundit??

I think so.

I find her tiresome, I'm not a Brit basher and I find the situation in UK interesting (to the point I watch Sophie Ridge on Sunday or Andrew Marr and often both) but I really don't get anything of value from her interviews. They have the quality of pub argument and you are not getting any insight into the situation. That's partly also Kenny's fault, most of his interviews are insightful but he lowers himself to her level when talking to her.

I think so.

I find her tiresome, I'm not a Brit basher and I find the situation in UK interesting (to the point I watch Sophie Ridge on Sunday or Andrew Marr and often both) but I really don't get anything of value from her interviews. They have the quality of pub argument and you are not getting any insight into the situation. That's partly also Kenny's fault, most of his interviews are insightful but he lowers himself to her level when talking to her.

Agreed, certainly nothing to do with Brit bashing but everything to do with the bombastic and vacuous nature of the Tory party, which is increasingly having a negative affect on this country (and others) whether it be through brexit or now covid. You can see from various UK news channels that a sizable portion of the British people are equally pi**ed off with this attitude.

Edwina Curry, as a Tory, seems to personify these traits, one of which seems to be, that if you shout at "johnny foreigner" long and loudly enough, they'll eventually get the message. (Didn't Monty Python once do a sketch on that :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

She always seems to have little by way of independent thought, rather just ploughs through with Tory policy, right or wrong.
    At this stage in her retired political career I'd have expected her to be past that partisan stage and be more seasoned and studied in her analysis.
    Instead she just seems to double down on every talking point presented to her.
    But she is a good debater I'll give her that.

• Advertisement

I don't even think all Tories are like that but a lot of the less cheerleading ones are in back benches so for me it's not about the party.

I don't even think all Tories are like that but a lot of the less cheerleading ones are in back benches so for me it's not about the party.

You have a point, but it has recently become dominated by extremists and nutters (Cummings included). Probably best discussed in the politics / current affairs forums!!

You have a point, but it has recently become dominated by extremists and nutters (Cummings included). Probably best discussed in the politics / current affairs forums!!

I was going to comment more on this but didn't because of the appropriate forum issue.

Edwina is very similar to Michael Graham from the US originally on George Hook's show and who still appears with Ivan Yates though not as regularly.

It is telling though that neither of them are challenged too much on the specifics of what they say. I think this is because they are seen more as guests than experts by the respective presenters.

I was going to comment more on this but didn't because of the appropriate forum issue.

Edwina is very similar to Michael Graham from the US originally on George Hook's show and who still appears with Ivan Yates though not as regularly.

It is telling though that neither of them are challenged too much on the specifics of what they say. I think this is because they are seen more as guests than experts by the respective presenters.

I like Michael Graham , he and Edwina provide an escape from groupthink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I like Michael Graham , he and Edwina provide an escape from groupthink.

The opinion of a conservative commentator is not an escape from 'group think'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Has Pat lost the plot with Covid? Normally I think he’s excellent but I haven’t heard any questioning at all on the lockdown strategy .There are many informed articulate commentators who think the continued lockdown is over the top and should at least be targeted but I haven’t heard anyone with this view on his show.

Have to say though, he and his team are so professional, you would never know he is broadcasting from home, seamless production.

donvito99 wrote: »
    The opinion of a conservative commentator is not an escape from 'group think'.

Its a matter of definition .

I don't mind Michael Graham, I might not agree with him but he is easier to listen to. You kind of know he is trolling people a bit and not taking it too seriously, while Edwina is getting as riled up as Pat when she is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

Completely toothless interview with CEO of Ryanair there.
    And the now customary breakdown in communication in the middle of same.
    Well done station of the year.

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Completely toothless interview with CEO of Ryanair there.
    And the now customary breakdown in communication in the middle of same.
    Well done station of the year.

You do realize Pat Kenny’s Show has been broadcast from his home since the beginning of Covid 19 restrictions as he is over 70.

I think they’ve done an amazing job overall and things are running really smoothly, fair play to all the sound and technical engineers, the sound quality and continuity overall has been brilliant.

Your point on Ryanair CEO is a totally separate one, yes he could have challenged him more but TBH I found even the idea of flights this Summer positive and uplifting even if it’s only a small percentage.

Advertisement