Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

murpho999 wrote: »
    He goes on about it all the time and seems to think that people should be wearing them all the time.

If I'm out walking on my own and keeping social distance then I don't need a mask. Simple as that.

Everyday now he just goes on and on about it at every opportunity and saying that joggers should be wearing them etc. It's total rubbish.

In a confined space such as a supermarket yes but not when outdoors, totally unncessesary.

I don't know when exactly Pat wants us to wear masks (despite having radio on daily I never paid enough attention to it) but I think a lot of debate about it is because of the wishy washy government approach. Many countries decided yes there is lack of evidence but it seems the countries where mask are mandatory are doing better and made them mandatory. There is so much debate around it in Ireland because no clear decision was made for so long a and even when it was made it was just a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't know when exactly Pat wants us to wear masks (despite having radio on daily I never paid enough attention to it) but I think a lot of debate about it is because of the wishy washy government approach. Many countries decided yes there is lack of evidence but it seems the countries where mask are mandatory are doing better and made them mandatory. There is so much debate around it in Ireland because no clear decision was made for so long a and even when it was made it was just a recommendation.
    I think he is referring to public transport ..crowded situations where potential transmission is highest..yes it's not clear...just got reading glasses...and Jaysus I'm like the
    proverbial hoors kickers with those...but surely we can figure these masks out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

This clown on now from the Iona Institute wants the churches open for mass.

Cant seem to see an issue with a lot of elderly people under the one roof.

Says if its OK to buy a bottle of wine in an off licence (which may have been handled by another customer and is handled by the cashier) then it should be OK to have mass and other religious services in a church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BPKS wrote: »

Says if its OK to buy a bottle of wine in an off licence (which may have been handled by another customer and is handled by the cashier) then it should be OK to have mass and other religious services in a church.
    I'd be far from a D Quinn fan (quite the oppostite) but for once I thought he had a point. And a good one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd be far from a D Quinn fan (quite the oppostite) but for once I thought he had a point. And a good one at that.

But why does he and The Iona Institute get so much airtime on many channels?

Why doesn't he explain why their God doesn't protect from this virus anyway?

• Advertisement

But why does he and The Iona Institute get so much airtime on many channels?

Why doesn't he explain why their God doesn't protect from this virus anyway?
    I haven't been keeping count, but I don't think he gets any more airtime than other points of view.

Are you proposing that he be censored or something?

I haven't been keeping count, but I don't think he gets any more airtime than other points of view.

Are you proposing that he be censored or something?

Not censorship but why do they get a voice?

They had an incredible amount of airtime during recent referenda and they are pushing their own agenda which has been shown to be not popular.

If he and Archbishop Martiin who was on yesterday apparently are pushing for opening of churches then why wasn't the opposing viewpoint put to them in interest of balance?

Either way it just shows the pre - religion bias that still seems pertinent in RTE and lately moreso with Newstalk but that's an other matter entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

When did you see/hear Quinn or anyone from the Iona Institute on the radio/TV last.
    Bar the referendums, they're not in the media more than 3 or 4 times a year

Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Why shouldn't they?

You are just hearing what you want to hear. If you were deeply religious you'd notice an abundance of topics you wouldn't want to listen to being pumped out on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

BPKS wrote: »

Says if its OK to buy a bottle of wine in an off licence (which may have been handled by another customer and is handled by the cashier) then it should be OK to have mass and other religious services in a church.[/QUOTE

Do large groups of elderly & vulnerable people crowd into the local off-licence to buy wine? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

jay0109 wrote: »
    When did you see/hear Quinn or anyone from the Iona Institute on the radio/TV last.
    Bar the referendums, they're not in the media more than 3 or 4 times a year

David Quinn is regularly on radio and TV and I just don't get why the media turn to them.

Seriously? :rolleyes:
    Why shouldn't they?

You are just hearing what you want to hear. If you were deeply religious you'd notice an abundance of topics you wouldn't want to listen to being pumped out on a regular basis.

The Iona Institute is an organisation with a political agenda.

They have shown in the past to be against gay rights and also the rights of the individual in other social matters.

They're an organisation that has been shown to be out of step with Irish societies views on social issues and I find that they get an disproportionate amount of air time for what they promote and the size of their membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭plodder

Did I hear it right earlier that it's now called "covy-2"?

plodder wrote: »
    Did I hear it right earlier that it's now called "covy-2"?
    SARS Co-V 2 is the official name of the virus

COVID 19 is the name of the disease it causes.

David Quinn is regularly on radio and TV and I just don't get why the media turn to them.

Because they have a point of view (which you happen to disagree with)

They have shown in the past to be against gay rights and also the rights of the individual in other social matters.

They're an organisation that has been shown to be out of step with Irish societies views on social issues and I find that they get an disproportionate amount of air time for what they promote and the size of their membership.

So you want them censored because you disagree with their point of view.

Doesn't work like that, thankfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Irish societies views on social issues is not a singular thing.

You are just blinded by your own biases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

In the last 2 referendums between 35 and 40% agreed with them thats higher than any single party got in the last election.

poppers wrote: »
    In the last 2 referendums between 35 and 40% agreed with them thats higher than any single party got in the last election.

And 65% or 60% agreed with People Before Profit. That doesn't mean the same percentage would vote for them. Quinn is lobbyist for certain group. I have no problem with him going on the radio but I think that he is actually more conservative than Irish catholic church which is a bit of achievement. Anyway Considering Luke O'Neill earlier suggested mass gatherings are where virus is transmitted the most I can't see any sense in his argument. Mass gathering of old people with singing seems the least sensible easing of restrictions.

Well, that's just another generalisation to go with your earlier generalisation :rolleyes:

There isn't many people at mass these past few decades so I'm not sure why anyone would take issue with reopening churches. Daily mass in a huge church with an average of a dozen people spread out around the building....tennis courts and golf courses would be just as busy at any one time

• Advertisement

Irish societies views on social issues is not a singular thing.

You are just blinded by your own biases.

No, I just don't understand how the Iona Institure, a conservative and lobbyisy group get so much airtime.
    poppers wrote: »

Silly comparison: A referendum is a simple Yes/No choice whilst elections are about multiple candidates, multiple issues, multiple parties and cannot be compared to multiple referendums.

meeeeh wrote: »
    And 65% or 60% agreed with People Before Profit. That doesn't mean the same percentage would vote for them. Quinn is lobbyist for certain group. I have no problem with him going on the radio but I think that he is actually more conservative than Irish catholic church which is a bit of achievement. Anyway Considering Luke O'Neill earlier suggested mass gatherings are where virus is transmitted the most I can't see any sense in his argument. Mass gathering of old people with singing seems the least sensible easing of restrictions.

I don't understand why you're equating the referundum with smaller political parties.

The point is that the vast majority of people voted for the passing of referendums.
    I'm all for those against the issues to have a voice and a platform but why is it always The Iona Institute?
    It's never any other group, they were on TV debates, regularly on RTE news. They get a ridiculous amount of airtime.
    I think they border on extremeism in their opinions as evidenced in their homophobic viewpoints and support of protesters intimidating distressed women outside hospitals.

Well, that's just another generalisation to go with your earlier generalisation :rolleyes:

It's not, any time there's a social issue then it's The Iona Institute they turn to and not another.

Why do they get this platform and other groups don't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be fair, Quinn is regularly a “panellist” on weekend shows and appears, fairly regularly, on midweek shows too.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

It's not, any time there's a social issue then it's The Iona Institute they turn too and not another.

Why do they get this platform and other groups don't?

Because they are idiots and Pat likes a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

To be fair, Quinn is regularly a “panellist” on weekend shows and appears, fairly regularly, on midweek shows too.

Quinn is a good articulate contributor and while I may not agree with everything he says , he espouses a point of view which should have a voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Quinn is a good articulate contributor and while I may not agree with everything he says , he espouses a point of view which should have a voice.

No one is arguing that the ultra-conservative, religious fanatics should be “censored“ or denied all access to the radio waves.

It just seems like he’s on a lot, when both him, and his “institute”, have faded from relevance.

One would have wonder whether there was some form of, modern, “payola” going on. It’s just very hard to make sense of.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

No one is arguing that the ultra-conservative, religious fanatics should be “censored“ or denied all access to the radio waves.

It just seems like he’s on a lot, when both him, and his “institute”, have faded from relevance.

One would have wonder whether there was some form of, modern, “payola” going on. It’s just very hard to make sense of.
    He's a journalist with the Sunday Times at the moment (was previously with the Indo I think) - he's at the briefing every day asking questions of Tony Holohan et al.

As far as I remember (I wasn't listening particularly carefully) he wasn't introduced by Pat Kenny as Iona Institute, but as David Quinn from the Sunday Times.

I don't understand why you're equating the referundum with smaller political parties.

I don't.

So being articulate is good enough to be given a platform?

Hitler was articulate too.

The Iona Institute is shady.

They are a lobby group, with a lot of connections to politicians that pushes a religious agenda.

I think posters here should look at their patrons and the origins.

They fact they call themselves an "Institute" is misleading as if they're an educational body.
    The word "Institute" would not be permitted in their name in other countries.

I do not see how the media have come to conclude that they are the organisation that represent the views of religious people in this country and they are been given a far bigger platform than their support or membership would normally warrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭crossman47

Either way it just shows the pre - religion bias that still seems pertinent in RTE and lately moreso with Newstalk but that's an other matter entirely.

That must be the biggest joke posted here for a long time. RTE and Newstalk were virulently anti Catholic in the lead up to the abortion referendum. Why should one third of the population be silenced?

Advertisement