Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

2smiggy wrote: »
    Luke is a bit too optimistic about everything. Maybe have him on once a week, and other times have more guests giving us more hard, realistic facts.
    TBF, a bit of optimism is badly needed to temper the constant barrage of negativity we are subjected to on daily basis from the media at large. Good news stories are few and far between, so I'm more than happy to indulge in them when given them. Light at the end of the tunnel is needed when the alternative is an infinite abyss.

boardise wrote: »
    Strikes me this twice weekly 'update' with Luke O'Neill is just a bit too cushy. Most of it is just rehash and lacks any real focus -all possibilities are still in play so what do we learn ? Virus could surge -but it could also fizzle out. There could be a vaccine fairly soon -but then again maybe not...etc. Why pay someone to tell what we know already .
    Once a week would suffice .Nothing against the bold Luke -but he must be raking it in on the back of the pando.
    Apparently Newstalk pays a pittance to expert contributors. It came out after the Irish Times ban, when regular contributors from The Irish Times pointed out it would make absolutely no financial difference to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Apparently Newstalk pays a pittance to expert contributors. It came out after the Irish Times ban, when regular contributors from The Irish Times pointed out it would make absolutely no financial difference to them.

I recall that.

Can't remember who, but one contributor put up a photo of a cheque for €40.

Apparently that's the standard fee for a phone in contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Allinall wrote: »
    I recall that.

Can't remember who, but one contributor put up a photo of a cheque for €40.

Apparently that's the standard fee for a phone in contribution.

Conor Pope...

https://twitter.com/conor_pope/status/916263816136134656/photo/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

On that, has Pat ever once had a debate on the ban of Irish Times staff appearing on Newstalk or has he just ignored the topic entirely?

• Advertisement

A - In what way did she not accept the outcome?
    B - Winning the Popular vote is hardly losing badly
    C - Dictator is an apt description for a President strongly advocating violence against their people for exercising their first amendment rights and using unarmed troops to arrest people without following procedures.
    D - This is the same person who pardoned a criminal convicted of crimes while working for that Pesident who threatened to flip on him.
    E - Shining a light on Trumps clusterf*ck might be boring or annoying for you guys, it isn't half as boring as annoying as watching people ignore the reality around him because they don't like the same things he doesn't like.

There is a point about the exaggeration and often over reaction to Trump's actions and mad statements. Lots of dictator comments, Nazi comparisons etc.

And then the same people call Trump a moron? So is he a moron or a clever dictator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,914 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There is a point about the exaggeration and often over reaction to Trump's actions and mad statements. Lots of dictator comments, Nazi comparisons etc.

And then the same people call Trump a moron? So is he a moron or a clever dictator!

Where does it say that a dictator cannot be a moron?

Trump is a moron, and a wannabe dictator. Let's hope he is never successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

2smiggy wrote: »
    Luke is a bit too optimistic about everything. Maybe have him on once a week, and other times have more guests giving us more hard, realistic facts.

I’ve heard him on different shows and a bit of positivity is rare in relation to Covid. Science would not have been a strong subject for me in school but he makes it user friendly for this dumbo. On one show last week after talking about current vaccines in the offing, a texter asked whether he would take one of the vaccines if given the chance. Without pausing he answered yes.

Where does it say that a dictator cannot be a moron?

Trump is a moron, and a wannabe dictator. Let's hope he is never successful.

The impression some give is that Trump has a "playbook" and is a scheming dictator in waiting.

The same people then mock him for being an idiot with no brain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Trump is a horrible human being, not because he is President, But because he is a REPUBLICAN president.
    When Bush was president the exact thing happened, he was also hated and made fun of, remember ‘village idiot’ ‘cowboy’ ‘Hitler’ ‘Nazis’
    When Biden wins in Nov, this nonsense will stop, until a Republican is elected again.

• Advertisement

Trump is a horrible human being, not because he is President, But because he is a REPUBLICAN president.
    When Bush was president the exact thing happened, he was also hated and made fun of, remember ‘village idiot’ ‘cowboy’ ‘Hitler’ ‘Nazis’
    When Biden wins in Nov, this nonsense will stop, until a Republican is elected again.

No, its not that he's a republican. There are many Republican presidents held in high regard by both sides. Eisenhower, Reagan, Ulysses S Grant, Roosevelt, not forgetting Lincoln.

By Bush i assume you mean Bush junior. Are you saying if he was a Democrat we'd be praising his intelligence? Give me a break.

I wouldn't like Trump no matter what party he ran with.

In my eyes, defending him is to defend the indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

There are many Republican presidents held in high regard by both sides. Eisenhower, Reagan, Ulysses S Grant, Roosevelt, not forgetting Lincoln.

Reagan? Is he, really?

BillyBird wrote: »
    Reagan? Is he, really?

He's one of the most popular presidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

He may be now but when he was President he was treated pretty much like Trump is now by much of the media.

He may be now but when he was President he was treated pretty much like Trump is now by much of the media.

I was replying to a comment that stated that Trump is hated because he's a Republican. That simply is not true. He's hated because he's a buffoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Was responsible for funding horrible death squads in El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatemala etc

El Salvador: "Rudolph Rummel has estimated that from 1979 to 1987, government forces perpetrated between 12,000 and 25,000 democidal killings,[110] with UNHCR estimating higher total figures.[

Is it not because he is American. Why do people focus on Republican/Democrats. For us in Europe, they are very similar parties with almost identical foreign policies.

Obama sanctioned the bombing of 9 mainly Muslim countries. The problem is US policy, not Republican or Democrat.

Was responsible for funding horrible death squads in El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatemala etc

El Salvador: "Rudolph Rummel has estimated that from 1979 to 1987, government forces perpetrated between 12,000 and 25,000 democidal killings,[110] with UNHCR estimating higher total figures.[

I'm just stating what various polls say, it's not my own opinion.

However, some positive thing:

Cut taxes
    Created the Star Wars program
    Met Gorbachev many times leading to talks ultimately ending the Cold War
    Stood up to the unions
    Reduced the deficit
    Improved relations with China

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I was replying to a comment that stated that Trump is hated because he's a Republican. That simply is not true. He's hated because he's a buffoon.

Possibly because he is both a Republican and a buffoon , there is a natural antipathy in Ireland to Republican Presidents despite the fact that there really isn't a cigarette paper between Republicans and Democrats particularly on foreign policy where recent Democrats have a kill rate similar to or exceeding the Republicans

Possibly because he is both a Republican and a buffoon , there is a natural antipathy in Ireland to Republican Presidents despite the fact that there really isn't a cigarette paper between Republicans and Democrats particularly on foreign policy where recent Democrats have a kill rate similar to or exceeding the Republicans

Whatever about 'kill rate' a horrible term when talking about the effects of war, I think there is a difference in whether or not a President was the instigator, or trying to bring it to completion.

Clinton continued on in Somalia after Bush Senior had first sent troops there. He went in to the Balkans after Serb forces invaded UN safe zones and refused to get involved in Rwanda (which he later regretted) or and was successful in convincing a junta in Haiti to restore the ousted leader without actually having to use force.

Obama inherited the Afghanistan war and the Iraq war as part of the wider 'War on Terror' campaign of Bush Junior. It was a US influenced NATO led force that went in to Libya during the Arab Spring. Obama reduced US soldier numbers in Afghanistan and declined from going in to Syria in spite of the US supporting the opposition. He reportedly increased the use of Drones significantly, something which it is said has grown further under Trump but Trump has removed some reporting paths meaning it is harder to know exactly what is happening.

Hardly comparable to the Bush's who started 3 wars between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

BillyBird wrote: »
    Reagan? Is he, really?

amongst Americans, Reagan is second to FDR in terms of affection in the twentieth century

He was perhaps the quintessential American, exuded optimism of the uniquely American kind

His appeal didn't transfer abroad, I accept that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭golfball37

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    amongst Americans, Reagan is second to FDR in terms of affection in the twentieth century

He was perhaps the quintessential American, exuded optimism of the uniquely American kind

His appeal didn't transfer abroad, I accept that

Sir Trevor Macdonald described him as the only man he ever met who could be king of any country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

golfball37 wrote: »
    Sir Trevor Macdonald described him as the only man he ever met who could be king of any country.

not sure I'd agree there

He was unmistakably American, made Americans feeling optimistic again but his manner didn't really cross borders in terms of appeal , you could envisage Obama becoming leader in numerous countries, not so Reagan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'm just stating what various polls say, it's not my own opinion.

However, some positive thing:

Cut taxes
    Created the Star Wars program
    Met Gorbachev many times leading to talks ultimately ending the Cold War
    Stood up to the unions
    Reduced the deficit
    Improved relations with China

That is simply not true, he almost doubled it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Christ after pole vaulting across the kitchen to avoid hearing stick insect turbridy only to find smug overture king Healy is on ....radio is no go zone between 9 - 1 at the moment. Whens pat Kenny back

Virtue king

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Regardless of the different points of view/arguments, it was truly beautiful hearing the spokeswoman for the hospital consultants verbally slap Healy this morning...he's unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jesus that Gary Gannon is some tool. That’s the first time I’ve heard him speak and all I can say is thank christ he’s not in government. Himself and Healy on at the same time was complete self righteous overload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Jonathan Healy and a “topic” around rape and consent, must be, more than, a few white knuckles and, furious, note-taking going on right now.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Why are so many people triggered by any radio show host talking about doing things in a way that benefits others or shows compassion for someone other than yourself?
    It used to be seen as being decent, now, at least here its, a judgement or slur aimed at someone.

Do people really want a world where everyone is only motivated for absolute selfish reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Cole wrote: »
    Regardless of the different points of view/arguments, it was truly beautiful hearing the spokeswoman for the hospital consultants verbally slap Healy this morning...he's unbearable.

He has such a tabloid approach to topics. He was attempting, badly, to stir the pot and he got rightly put in his place. He's more in the vein of a Niall Boylan/Joe Duffy presenter than the tone Pat Kenny usually sets, which is why I'm so surprised that he's the regular choice for cover. He doesn't have the required smarts to fill in for Pat in my opinion and the radio goes off when I hear him on

Advertisement